Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Flare incident 06:25 - Sep 16 with 32724 viewsDale_4_Life

Has this low life knuckle dragging idiot been identified and banned for life?

What an embarrassment to the club.

The Flare incident on 22:14 - Sep 21 with 4035 viewsBrierls

It won’t be long before the EFL follow this lead…

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/pl-clubs-agree-minimum-length-bans-inva

Knobs who bring and set off pyros won’t be able to blame the club when it’s a directive from the EFL.
The Flare incident on 22:31 - Sep 21 with 3982 viewsJames1980

The Flare incident on 22:14 - Sep 21 by Brierls

It won’t be long before the EFL follow this lead…

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/pl-clubs-agree-minimum-length-bans-inva

Knobs who bring and set off pyros won’t be able to blame the club when it’s a directive from the EFL.

Should be an FA backed initiative so it extend to all clubs

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

The Flare incident on 22:44 - Sep 21 with 3966 viewsEllDale

According to “Alfie Coleman” on Twitter it’s a matter of “no pyro, no party”.
I actively encouraged the Overcoaters at the start of the season and will continue to do so if it means an enhanced atmosphere in the Sandy.
A small percentage of kn0bs are threatening to toxify the whole thing though.
The Flare incident on 23:03 - Sep 21 with 3921 views442Dale

It’s getting a bit depressing to see how things are playing out now. Hopefully if the Trust have been contacted as mentioned both they and the club will step in to make it totally clear what is and isn’t acceptable because some seem to think it’s about their opinion.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2022 23:04]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The Flare incident on 23:21 - Sep 21 with 3875 viewsBen_M

The Flare incident on 23:03 - Sep 21 by 442Dale

It’s getting a bit depressing to see how things are playing out now. Hopefully if the Trust have been contacted as mentioned both they and the club will step in to make it totally clear what is and isn’t acceptable because some seem to think it’s about their opinion.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2022 23:04]

Trust have been contacted and have acknowledged the email. Will have a response and hopefully an idea of next steps tomorrow evening.
The Flare incident on 23:25 - Sep 21 with 3862 viewsD_Alien

If the club have identified the individual responsible for the flare at the Orient game, have i missed that individual being issued with an immediate ban from the COA?

Perhaps those who continue to think their actions are acceptable have taken the absence of a ban as a sign they're okay to continue, as happened last night
[Post edited 21 Sep 2022 23:27]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The Flare incident on 00:15 - Sep 22 with 3790 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Too many people don't take the issue of flares seriously enough.
It will as usual take someone being seriously hurt or even killed before these imbeciles, who bring flares, into football grounds actually understand how totally idiotic their actions are.

Perhaps they want that kind of notoriety for themselves, their families, the club they would profess undying love for and the town of Rochdale in general.

Stop doing it now before someone or even one of yourselves gets hurt.
The Flare incident on 07:34 - Sep 22 with 3574 viewskel

The Flare incident on 22:44 - Sep 21 by EllDale

I actively encouraged the Overcoaters at the start of the season and will continue to do so if it means an enhanced atmosphere in the Sandy.

There’s a few on Twitter who are more or less admitting their involvement. I think the phrase is ‘thick as pig shit’
Login to get fewer ads

The Flare incident on 07:34 - Sep 22 with 3574 viewsfourfourtwo

The Flare incident on 22:44 - Sep 21 by EllDale

You can quite clearly identify a few individuals who have been involved in the flares linked to Mr Coleman's tweet, such is the innocent stupidity of the youth of today. I mean they've even uploaded a video of them all where faces can clearly be seen.

I'm not one for totalitarian rule in football, but evidently there's a need for the club to either have strong words with the individuals involved or ask the police to go round & have a brew.

These lads will all be season ticket holders, it's not exactly difficult to locate who they are.

Lads, all we want you to do is generate some atmosphere, get the chants going & make the ground feel like an enjoyable place to be (regardless of the football we have to endure).

You've been brilliant so far this season, don't ruin it in September!
The Flare incident on 12:22 - Sep 22 with 3282 viewsEllDale

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62989792
The Flare incident on 16:52 - Sep 22 with 3010 viewsDaleiLama

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/august/pyrotechnics_zerotolerance/

An announcement seems somewhat overdue if the club knows the perp?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

The Flare incident on 17:13 - Sep 22 with 2959 views442Dale

The Flare incident on 16:52 - Sep 22 by DaleiLama

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/august/pyrotechnics_zerotolerance/

An announcement seems somewhat overdue if the club knows the perp?

Thanks for finding that link, DL. If nothing else it makes perfectly clear of the consequences to anyone who might think otherwise when using flares or even carrying one:

<<“ Anyone found attempting to bring smoke bombs, flares or fireworks into the Crown Oil Arena, or those who discharge pyrotechnics will receive a lifetime banning order.”>>

Is it worth risking never going to games again? That’s what they need to ask themselves.

The Flare incident on 17:30 - Sep 22 with 2922 viewsD_Alien

The Flare incident on 17:13 - Sep 22 by 442Dale

Thanks for finding that link, DL. If nothing else it makes perfectly clear of the consequences to anyone who might think otherwise when using flares or even carrying one:

<<“ Anyone found attempting to bring smoke bombs, flares or fireworks into the Crown Oil Arena, or those who discharge pyrotechnics will receive a lifetime banning order.”>>

Is it worth risking never going to games again? That’s what they need to ask themselves.

Only if the known perpetrators are actually banned

If someone were to get injured as a result of those same idiots letting off another flare, the club might find itself in a very serious position. I hope this is being taken into account in making any due decisions

The Flare incident on 17:44 - Sep 22 with 2873 views442Dale

The Flare incident on 17:30 - Sep 22 by D_Alien

Only if the known perpetrators are actually banned

If someone were to get injured as a result of those same idiots letting off another flare, the club might find itself in a very serious position. I hope this is being taken into account in making any due decisions

That’s true. It’s reiterating the point that there isn’t any valid argument around pyro being “a laugh” or “helping creating an atmosphere”. They are not allowed and anyone who chooses to use one will be banned when identified.

The Flare incident on 19:24 - Sep 22 with 2735 viewsJames1980

If the football community want to clamp down on this there should be an agreement across EPL, EFL and FA that throwing flares on the pitch will carry a hefty ban from all stadiums. At present individual stadium bans don't discourage troublemakers who are fans of other clubs launching pyrotechnics on the pitch when visiting a different ground.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

The Flare incident on 20:17 - Sep 22 with 2641 views49thseason

This, I am afraid is one of those problems that will only be solved by measures enacted by his friends and acquaintances. The idiot who sets off to a football match with a pocket full of pyrotechnic devices has no care for the results of actually using one in the midst of a group of other people. These people are not unaware of risk, they have the means to assess risk but the opportunity to do something that will impress their peers is a stronger attraction. We have all met these people and have seen what starts as "a laugh" ending up as something much less than funny. Threats of life bans will not work because of their inability to pre-think about how such a thing would impact them and their conviction that they " wont get caught" and that they can disappear amongst their mates..
Once upon a time gangs of thieves used to search each other for guns because they knew if an idiot amongst them took a gun on a "job" it would get them all in much deeper trouble if he used it or were caught with it. I would suggest that if the "Overcoaters" really want to stop the idiot and if they know who it is, they should literally police the problem-maker themselves and either shop him immediately or check him out themselves at the next game and hand him over to the authorities if he is "carrying". For teenagers and young adults, one of their biggest fears is being excluded from his peer group and may be the only way to persuade him not to bring flares to the match.
I recognise this may run counter to their "never be a grass" culture but sometimes its better to be grown up and do the right thing rather than stay quiet and aid and abet the wrong thing. This process is generally known as being part of growing up, sadly there are a few who never will.
The Flare incident on 23:06 - Sep 22 with 2411 viewsShun

You only have to look at the opening day last season. Harrogate away. A flare is set off (inexplicably, as we were in the ascendency at the time and this completely halted any momentum), and a girl in her 30s had an asthma attack and had to move stands to settle down her breathing. It’s not being dramatic to say a flare in a closed terrace like that could quite easily be fatal to someone with asthma or COPD.
The Flare incident on 23:32 - Sep 22 with 2377 viewsD_Alien

The Flare incident on 23:06 - Sep 22 by Shun

You only have to look at the opening day last season. Harrogate away. A flare is set off (inexplicably, as we were in the ascendency at the time and this completely halted any momentum), and a girl in her 30s had an asthma attack and had to move stands to settle down her breathing. It’s not being dramatic to say a flare in a closed terrace like that could quite easily be fatal to someone with asthma or COPD.

https://www.peppermintbars.co.uk/flares-and-smoke-bombs-into-football-matches/

Some info on the properties of flares, e.g. they burn at the melting point of steel, toxicity

The Flare incident on 08:10 - Sep 23 with 2184 viewsEllDale

The Flare incident on 23:06 - Sep 22 by Shun

The Crewe game had to be halted this season after they let off a flare following their first goal and a fan with severe asthma had to receive urgent treatment.
The Flare incident on 08:13 - Sep 23 with 2180 viewsDaleiLama

The Flare incident on 20:17 - Sep 22 by 49thseason

This, I am afraid is one of those problems that will only be solved by measures enacted by his friends and acquaintances. The idiot who sets off to a football match with a pocket full of pyrotechnic devices has no care for the results of actually using one in the midst of a group of other people. These people are not unaware of risk, they have the means to assess risk but the opportunity to do something that will impress their peers is a stronger attraction. We have all met these people and have seen what starts as "a laugh" ending up as something much less than funny. Threats of life bans will not work because of their inability to pre-think about how such a thing would impact them and their conviction that they " wont get caught" and that they can disappear amongst their mates..
Once upon a time gangs of thieves used to search each other for guns because they knew if an idiot amongst them took a gun on a "job" it would get them all in much deeper trouble if he used it or were caught with it. I would suggest that if the "Overcoaters" really want to stop the idiot and if they know who it is, they should literally police the problem-maker themselves and either shop him immediately or check him out themselves at the next game and hand him over to the authorities if he is "carrying". For teenagers and young adults, one of their biggest fears is being excluded from his peer group and may be the only way to persuade him not to bring flares to the match.
I recognise this may run counter to their "never be a grass" culture but sometimes its better to be grown up and do the right thing rather than stay quiet and aid and abet the wrong thing. This process is generally known as being part of growing up, sadly there are a few who never will.

Whilst not disagreeing with what you say 49th, if one of a gang does get a lifetime ban, there will be a few at least who are very close to the one banned and the absence will be felt at different levels amongst the gang.

Stamping on this from the highest level at our club is the best deterrent there is in my book. Of course the overcoaters can then reinforce the message by asking if any of them really think it's worth trying it again? Peer pressure is a strong incentive. Exorcism is stronger.

The Flare incident on 08:30 - Sep 23 with 2156 viewsEllDale

As in most cases it’s not the severity of the punishment but rather the certainty which is the deterrent.
If lads think that they can get away with it then they’ll take the risk.
The Flare incident on 08:38 - Sep 23 with 2131 viewsHullDale

https://scentpro.co.uk/pyrotechnic-detection/

Short term cost for long term gain? It'll almost certainly be cheaper than FA fines.

Get them outside the turnstiles before games & walking around the stands during games... anyone found with a pyro / flare on their person gets an immediate ban, no questions asked.

Do it at every game for an unannounced period of time, and then randomly thereafter.
The Flare incident on 09:06 - Sep 23 with 2091 viewsDaleiLama

The Flare incident on 08:38 - Sep 23 by HullDale

https://scentpro.co.uk/pyrotechnic-detection/

Short term cost for long term gain? It'll almost certainly be cheaper than FA fines.

Get them outside the turnstiles before games & walking around the stands during games... anyone found with a pyro / flare on their person gets an immediate ban, no questions asked.

Do it at every game for an unannounced period of time, and then randomly thereafter.

It wouldn't cost a lot to put a video camera in a steward volunteers hand either. Not sure of the legality of that these days though?

The Flare incident on 10:46 - Sep 23 with 1983 viewsAtThePeake

The Flare incident on 09:06 - Sep 23 by DaleiLama

It wouldn't cost a lot to put a video camera in a steward volunteers hand either. Not sure of the legality of that these days though?

Getting into dangerous territory when you start filming fans for me, given the vast majority are just watching the game innocently.

These lads just need to grow up, basically. They say it 'helps create an atmosphere' but the only atmosphere it helps create is one of 2,000 people groaning. Absolutely none of the Dale games that stand out for me in the past as having a great atmosphere included any pyrotechnics because, basically, they do sod all.

Don't get me wrong, despite the obvious safety implications, they look really impressive when it's 20,000 Boca Juniors or Legia Warsaw fans bouncing around with them, but when it's a lone flare thrown on the pitch by a 16 year old in a fake Stoney at an EFL Trophy game against an Under 21 side it looks exactly like what it is - embarrassing.

Tangled up in blue.

The Flare incident on 11:57 - Sep 23 with 1890 viewsD_Alien

The Flare incident on 10:46 - Sep 23 by AtThePeake

Getting into dangerous territory when you start filming fans for me, given the vast majority are just watching the game innocently.

These lads just need to grow up, basically. They say it 'helps create an atmosphere' but the only atmosphere it helps create is one of 2,000 people groaning. Absolutely none of the Dale games that stand out for me in the past as having a great atmosphere included any pyrotechnics because, basically, they do sod all.

Don't get me wrong, despite the obvious safety implications, they look really impressive when it's 20,000 Boca Juniors or Legia Warsaw fans bouncing around with them, but when it's a lone flare thrown on the pitch by a 16 year old in a fake Stoney at an EFL Trophy game against an Under 21 side it looks exactly like what it is - embarrassing.

I don't see anything impressive in 20,000 flares. That's just 20,000 idiots, not one

All need banning for the perfectly obvious reasons already detailed in this thread

Agree about video cameras. There's already provision at the ground from the police control box, with zoom lenses

Still waiting for the club to act

[Post edited 23 Sep 2022 11:59]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024