Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup 16:47 - Nov 1 with 21188 viewsTVOS1907

Surprised this hasn't already been started.

Anyway, a bit of a walk down Memory Lane as Dale face Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup for the first time in 20 years. Last time it went to a replay:

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 11:59 - Nov 6 with 3593 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 11:19 - Nov 6 by James1980

I expect EBJ thought WTF when we conceded that goal yesterday.

His interview verged on suggesting that when it came to match situations, our defence CBA

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 12:54 - Nov 6 with 3452 viewsNafelad

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 10:36 - Nov 6 by wozzrafc

Aren’t you ITK? 😉

Obviously not!

Topcat

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 12:58 - Nov 6 with 3437 viewsDaleiLama

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 11:59 - Nov 6 by D_Alien

His interview verged on suggesting that when it came to match situations, our defence CBA

They are also NSFW

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 13:42 - Nov 6 with 3347 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 22:28 - Nov 5 by Sandyman

Yes, a shareholders Q and A session has been held on occasion in years gone by. This is a separate part of the evening other than the main business of the AGM or EGM, at the discretion of the board. It wasn't held after the business of the meetings closed on June 1st last year, it got a bit late

So such questions can be asked.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 16:47 - Nov 6 with 3110 viewsD_Dale

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 06:21 - Nov 6 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Just seen the goal. Not a jinx when 6 dale defenders are stood around while allowing a free header & Sinclair to amble in at the far post. Awful & totally preventable.

In my opinion, any neutral observer of the highlights would regard Bristol R. as very fortunate to go through:

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 17:05 - Nov 6 with 3093 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 16:47 - Nov 6 by D_Dale

In my opinion, any neutral observer of the highlights would regard Bristol R. as very fortunate to go through:

I wouldn't say they were fortunate to go through, but I do think we deserved a replay.

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 17:50 - Nov 6 with 3004 viewsDalenet

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 21:59 - Nov 5 by James1980

That is good to know. What reason is there that rearranging the suggested game would not be a good idea?

Two considerations James:

1. Does the manager expect to be able to change the squad and would rather wait until he has done

2. And would they rather keep the warm weather training camp in America
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:40 - Nov 6 with 2853 viewsfinberty

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 17:50 - Nov 6 by Dalenet

Two considerations James:

1. Does the manager expect to be able to change the squad and would rather wait until he has done

2. And would they rather keep the warm weather training camp in America

And:

3. We currently have two forwards out injured, so why would we choose to play yet another match without a full squad to choose from?
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:51 - Nov 6 with 2830 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:40 - Nov 6 by finberty

And:

3. We currently have two forwards out injured, so why would we choose to play yet another match without a full squad to choose from?

I'd also add we might not fancy playing The O's (if that's the fixture James is looking at) when they are in such good league form.

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 07:24 - Nov 7 with 2490 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 20:19 - Nov 5 by James1980

My concern now, is that as we have sold a player to a non league club outside the transfer window what is going to stop other NL clubs attempting to purchase our players and offering above what we can pay them.

I think the teams in non-league that can afford to pay our players more than we can, will probably be looking for better players. There can't be many in our squad that are worthy of a higher wage based on what they've done for us?

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 08:33 - Nov 7 with 2407 viewsDalenet

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 07:24 - Nov 7 by AtThePeake

I think the teams in non-league that can afford to pay our players more than we can, will probably be looking for better players. There can't be many in our squad that are worthy of a higher wage based on what they've done for us?

Good point about our players, but the wider point about non league budgets is interesting. They don't get the same level of payments from the pyramid system that we get, but some of their gate receipts are way above anything we could dream of. Owdum are rejuvinated and are gettong 6000+, Wrexham managed over 9000 at the weekend despite being on TV, and Notts County achieve 7000+, Chesterfield 6000+. Even York City get almost 5000.

Its a league of well supported ex league clubs with substantial resources - although more polarised than most leagues with the smaller clubs having very little. I'd rather not experience the impact on our club in my lifetime
[Post edited 7 Nov 2022 8:34]
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 09:21 - Nov 7 with 2350 viewsBucketBstard

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 11:44 - Nov 6 by DaleiLama

Not seen the goal but the jinx referred to a generic inability to challenge for the ball and win the first second and third balls from set pieces. EBJ seemed to have fixed it. Then we concede 2 in 2 games. Both winning goals.

I wouldnt class it as a jinx I would suggest that we have very poor defenders. Due to Nice Guy Robbie, bringing in some truly awful players. I feel for Bentley, a little cup run could of helped boost the coffers and maybe give him wriggle room in the transfer market.
I just hope he doesnt buiuld his team on Diougourga , especially since he will know him from previous. But we need a real strong , competent charachter in the central mid region. And that is not Diou. He makes Chris Lee look like Socrates.
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 09:27 - Nov 7 with 2345 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 09:21 - Nov 7 by BucketBstard

I wouldnt class it as a jinx I would suggest that we have very poor defenders. Due to Nice Guy Robbie, bringing in some truly awful players. I feel for Bentley, a little cup run could of helped boost the coffers and maybe give him wriggle room in the transfer market.
I just hope he doesnt buiuld his team on Diougourga , especially since he will know him from previous. But we need a real strong , competent charachter in the central mid region. And that is not Diou. He makes Chris Lee look like Socrates.

You do know Bentley doesn't know Diagouraga from previous, don't you?

Of course you do.

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 10:44 - Nov 7 with 2269 viewsJames1980

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 07:24 - Nov 7 by AtThePeake

Thinking of not just players that are necessarily in this squad but in future squads as well. Hoping this hasn't set a precedent.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 11:37 - Nov 7 with 2181 viewsDaleiLama

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 09:21 - Nov 7 by BucketBstard

Under Stockdale (and I included the Accy 3-3 draw here as EBJ had limited influence on that game, although we did play more on the front foot) we went GF 7 - GA 15, P 9, W 1 and 1 clean sheet.

During EBJ's tenure, we have GF 13 - GA 16 (much improved), W 4 and 3 clean sheets (P 12 btw). Between 24/9 Colchester (a) and the last two games, we conceded 7 goals in 5 games (not world beating I accept), but this spell included 2 of those clean sheets and in general we defended much better than previously with (I think) no goals conceded from set pieces - I stand to be corrected on this of course.

The defending never can be "a jinx". It's down to everything EBJ referred to in his interview that we have done less well in these last 2 games and which resulted in his reaction borne of frustration. It isn't (imho) that they are not good enough. It's that they are not doing their jobs. It just feels like a jinx as it's been going on so long!

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 12:52 - Nov 7 with 2018 viewsDaleiLama

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 18:06 - Nov 5 by HullDale

Possibly my favourite interview in the last four years. He gets it, and I'm pretty sure after today the players will get it too.

I got a distinct feeling of deja vu @ the 2:45 point onwards, remembering one of my previous posts hailing back to December last year, at, ironically, the Gas (a) in the league under RS.

"I've said it b4 and will say it again - we are a nearly team this campaign so far. Nearly good. Nearly winning games. Nearly a contender. But we can also be bullied easily, we nearly have a defence and nearly convert enough chances. The challenge RS faces is to get us over those humps. Give him a chance I say."

Needless to say I changed my mind on RS. I get the feeling EBJ won't be half as lenient as RS was though. Good.

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 14:41 - Nov 7 with 1853 views49thseason

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 10:44 - Nov 7 by James1980

Thinking of not just players that are necessarily in this squad but in future squads as well. Hoping this hasn't set a precedent.

Our players are only worth what someone is prepared to pay for them, it really doesnt matter to us what level of football that money comes from. I think what we are now witnessing is the financial reality of what looks like being a 6th unsucessfull season on the trot. Always playing at the foot of the division, only winning 1 in 4 home games and losing every other away game is a recipe for long term disaster. We cannot sell players and improve, we cannot attract bigger crowds without improvement, its a footballing catch 22. The mantra of " dont get beaten" needs replacing with "how many can we score?" Better to expire with all guns blazing than playing for tedious, enthusiasm sapping, 0-1 , 1-2 defeats. You can only win by scoring more goals than the other team, currently we can't score 1 every game.
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 20:44 - Nov 7 with 1541 viewsJames1980

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 14:41 - Nov 7 by 49thseason

Our players are only worth what someone is prepared to pay for them, it really doesnt matter to us what level of football that money comes from. I think what we are now witnessing is the financial reality of what looks like being a 6th unsucessfull season on the trot. Always playing at the foot of the division, only winning 1 in 4 home games and losing every other away game is a recipe for long term disaster. We cannot sell players and improve, we cannot attract bigger crowds without improvement, its a footballing catch 22. The mantra of " dont get beaten" needs replacing with "how many can we score?" Better to expire with all guns blazing than playing for tedious, enthusiasm sapping, 0-1 , 1-2 defeats. You can only win by scoring more goals than the other team, currently we can't score 1 every game.

What concern me the most and believe should be of consternation to fans of other clubs in the lower league is that this transfer shows players can be sold outside of the transfer window. Perhaps someone who has more knowledge of the transfer system can allay my fears and explain that this was a special case and is unlikely to happen again any time soon.

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 21:09 - Nov 7 with 1509 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 20:44 - Nov 7 by James1980

What concern me the most and believe should be of consternation to fans of other clubs in the lower league is that this transfer shows players can be sold outside of the transfer window. Perhaps someone who has more knowledge of the transfer system can allay my fears and explain that this was a special case and is unlikely to happen again any time soon.

It's unlikely to happen often James because League clubs can't sign anyone to replace the departing player (until the window opens again or players who currently have no club). Obviously Charman was sold for specific reasons which haven't been disclosed - but I can't see it becoming the norm.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 21:17 - Nov 7 with 1508 viewsJames1980

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 21:09 - Nov 7 by dingdangblue

It's unlikely to happen often James because League clubs can't sign anyone to replace the departing player (until the window opens again or players who currently have no club). Obviously Charman was sold for specific reasons which haven't been disclosed - but I can't see it becoming the norm.

Cheers DDB hopefully that is the case.

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 21:27 - Nov 7 with 1485 viewsEllDale

Bristol Rovers are at home to Boreham Wood in the second round.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024