Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup 16:47 - Nov 1 with 21180 viewsTVOS1907

Surprised this hasn't already been started.

Anyway, a bit of a walk down Memory Lane as Dale face Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup for the first time in 20 years. Last time it went to a replay:

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 14:31 - Nov 5 with 4618 viewsturnthescrew

No it isn't. Not available for streaming according to the club. No option to buy a pass.
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 14:37 - Nov 5 with 4570 viewsfrequency

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 14:31 - Nov 5 by turnthescrew

No it isn't. Not available for streaming according to the club. No option to buy a pass.

oops my mistake

Hate city

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 14:44 - Nov 5 with 4528 viewsYadHoDale

I wonder how many Kellys we can get on the pitch at once. Liam starts with Brad and Oscar on the bench.

Jimmy K and Cam John at FB; Ibi Odoh and Dev Rodney wide, rest as expected in absence of The Quiggler.
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 15:08 - Nov 5 with 4392 viewsJames1980

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 14:31 - Nov 5 by turnthescrew

That's a shame

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 15:39 - Nov 5 with 4085 viewsDaleiLama

You can listen on line

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/63314149

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 15:53 - Nov 5 with 4063 viewshammerdale

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 22:34 - Nov 4 by Sandyman

That cup game at Bristol Rovers is the coldest I've ever been at a football ground, even colder than the "beast from the East" night at Wembley. Any other memories of bitterly cold away days?

Scarborough away Fa Cup November 1977
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 15:55 - Nov 5 with 4019 views100notout

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 15:39 - Nov 5 by DaleiLama

You can listen on line

not on Radio Bolton of course.

Cheers DL

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 16:16 - Nov 5 with 3815 viewsJames1980

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 15:39 - Nov 5 by DaleiLama

You can listen on line

Cheers DL been listening on I follow but can't switch between the commentaries for some reason

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 16:26 - Nov 5 with 3725 viewsturnthescrew

1-0 down. 65 minutes
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 16:27 - Nov 5 with 3660 viewsDaleiLama

Set piece jinx has returned?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 16:48 - Nov 5 with 3450 viewsJames1980

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 16:27 - Nov 5 by DaleiLama

Set piece jinx has returned?

I wonder what the stats show compared to the rest of the league for percentage of set pieces given away that are converted into goals.

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 16:59 - Nov 5 with 3317 viewssince58

Listening to comms sounds like poor finishing has cost us at least a draw.
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 17:04 - Nov 5 with 3244 viewsJames1980

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 16:59 - Nov 5 by since58

Listening to comms sounds like poor finishing has cost us at least a draw.

Hopefully poor finishing won't cost us even more.

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 18:06 - Nov 5 with 2916 viewsHullDale

Possibly my favourite interview in the last four years. He gets it, and I'm pretty sure after today the players will get it too.
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 18:33 - Nov 5 with 2776 viewsEllDale

Brutally honest.
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 18:43 - Nov 5 with 2720 viewsD_Alien

"...good solid club..."

"...i'm enjoying it..."

"...but i'm not here to keep getting beat one nil..."

Seems like there's a few players on borrowed time, and rightly so. Just a question of how much scope he's realistically got to change things

On another note: we now have a spare Saturday, 26 November. Wonder if a game will be brought forward from a Tuesday night? Leyton Orient got beat today, and we're due to play them on Tues 14 February. It'd make a lot of sense to bring that forward, both for travelling fans and to free up a midweek slot in case of postponements

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 18:47 - Nov 5 with 2687 viewsJames1980

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 18:43 - Nov 5 by D_Alien

"...good solid club..."

"...i'm enjoying it..."

"...but i'm not here to keep getting beat one nil..."

Seems like there's a few players on borrowed time, and rightly so. Just a question of how much scope he's realistically got to change things

On another note: we now have a spare Saturday, 26 November. Wonder if a game will be brought forward from a Tuesday night? Leyton Orient got beat today, and we're due to play them on Tues 14 February. It'd make a lot of sense to bring that forward, both for travelling fans and to free up a midweek slot in case of postponements

Would the EFL approve of such forward thinking?

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 18:57 - Nov 5 with 2647 viewsNorthernDale

Bentley is not a happy man after that performance and in truth, Stockdale deserves most of the blame in his recruitment policy of recruiting 'quality, rather number'. He for example recruited up front, Rodney and Sinclair who both have a poor scoring record and we are surprised that we are not taking our chances and getting the goals our play deserves. We have basically three midfielder players, with the only other options being inexperienced youngsters, which limits our options there. So I feel for Bentley, he wants to make changes, but due to the small and limited squad, what can he do? To be honest Odoh, would struggle to get in the Dale team of previous years, but so limited our options, he is in the team most weeks.

It is about surviving the best we can until January and then getting bodies in. As I said, I don't blame Jim Bentley, but in hindsight the mistaken trust we placed in Stockdale.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2022 19:00]
Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:05 - Nov 5 with 2581 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 18:57 - Nov 5 by NorthernDale

Bentley is not a happy man after that performance and in truth, Stockdale deserves most of the blame in his recruitment policy of recruiting 'quality, rather number'. He for example recruited up front, Rodney and Sinclair who both have a poor scoring record and we are surprised that we are not taking our chances and getting the goals our play deserves. We have basically three midfielder players, with the only other options being inexperienced youngsters, which limits our options there. So I feel for Bentley, he wants to make changes, but due to the small and limited squad, what can he do? To be honest Odoh, would struggle to get in the Dale team of previous years, but so limited our options, he is in the team most weeks.

It is about surviving the best we can until January and then getting bodies in. As I said, I don't blame Jim Bentley, but in hindsight the mistaken trust we placed in Stockdale.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2022 19:00]

But according to some, he was a nice man. Just a shame he was an incompetent manager. Bentley is an honest straightforward manager, no bullshit, and does come over as being competent. Certainly he has got the players playing better than Stockdale did.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:31 - Nov 5 with 2471 views442Dale

Bentley mentioned Charman going again, and not wanting him to leave whilst respecting the board’s decision.

Have we missed something here? The manager wants a player to stay midway between two transfer windows, we’ve recruited throughout the summer to build a squad then added to it again with Quigley after Bentley arrived, so why was it a board decision to then sell a player who the manager seemingly wants to retain?

The work done over the last year or so has been fantastic, but that’s now done. This is a ‘fan owned, fan led club’ and that’s a statement to be proud of. So why are the fans a bit confused over a situation like this?
Transparency at Spotland has been very welcomed, however it needs to apply in as many situations as possible. The sale of players who could be assisting us on the pitch is certainly one.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:32 - Nov 5 with 2464 viewsJames1980

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:05 - Nov 5 by foreverhopefulDale

But according to some, he was a nice man. Just a shame he was an incompetent manager. Bentley is an honest straightforward manager, no bullshit, and does come over as being competent. Certainly he has got the players playing better than Stockdale did.

I think some of the comments regarding RS were starting to get a bit too personal in my opinion. Perhaps the he is a nice chap comments were to counter that and poor results wouldn't have been doing his prospects as a manager any good.
2020 hindsight is a wonderful thing but it shows it should have either been thank you and goodbye at the end of the season. Quigs has certainly been missed and it turns out the gamble to bring him on in the pizza cup, has so far been costly, however he could have injured himself at some other point between the PJT game and next league match.

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:37 - Nov 5 with 2442 viewsJames1980

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:31 - Nov 5 by 442Dale

Bentley mentioned Charman going again, and not wanting him to leave whilst respecting the board’s decision.

Have we missed something here? The manager wants a player to stay midway between two transfer windows, we’ve recruited throughout the summer to build a squad then added to it again with Quigley after Bentley arrived, so why was it a board decision to then sell a player who the manager seemingly wants to retain?

The work done over the last year or so has been fantastic, but that’s now done. This is a ‘fan owned, fan led club’ and that’s a statement to be proud of. So why are the fans a bit confused over a situation like this?
Transparency at Spotland has been very welcomed, however it needs to apply in as many situations as possible. The sale of players who could be assisting us on the pitch is certainly one.

Was he sold to shore up the coffers is what I am wondering.

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:42 - Nov 5 with 2425 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:31 - Nov 5 by 442Dale

It’s certainly an interesting one and handy that an EGM/AGM is on the horizon where these questions can be asked and answered with honesty.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:49 - Nov 5 with 2396 views442Dale

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:42 - Nov 5 by fitzochris

It’s certainly an interesting one and handy that an EGM/AGM is on the horizon where these questions can be asked and answered with honesty.

That’s very true.

Though to add to that, and James makes a good point within his post - nobody within the fan base should be wondering about something like the sale of a player when the emphasis is on (rightly so) promoting the fan-centric nature of our club now. It would be a real shame that it requires AGMs or situations where questions have to go via the Trust etc to establish answers on subjects supporters want to know about.

We’ve done that for years, it became tiresome and predictable. The positives of change allow that to be consigned to the past.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 20:03 - Nov 5 with 2312 views49thseason

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Rochdale - FA Cup on 19:37 - Nov 5 by James1980

Was he sold to shore up the coffers is what I am wondering.

James, in the 3 seasons prior to this one, we have had one season curtailed early, one season played behind closed doors and a regulation and a season in L2 that nearly led to another regulation, we have lost huge amounts of TV money, 1000s of paying customers and been forced to sell just about every player anyone offered cash for, not to mention paying off a years salary for a manager and getting fined by the EFL .. oh and a CEO who alledgedly spent £50,000 on hand sanitisers and " walk this way" stickers.
Of course it was a financial decision, why else would the board make that decision when the manager would have preferred to keep him?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024