Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED 23:51 - Dec 22 with 20169 viewsNotLoyal

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/59182/swansea-independen

LIVE THIS XMAS. Click below.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 23:54 - Dec 27 with 1842 viewsLuther27

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 23:45 - Dec 27 by Fireboy2

Yep, it shows his arrogance, getting the ball quicker up front worked but it doesn't fit Martin's mantra.

In Martins view he has the method…he has the tactical nuance….but he doesn’t have the players to carry that on the pitch. That’s why his defence is to throw his players under the bus. He will never change his philosophy that’s for sure.
The issue is do we have the money to buy players to suit Martin….or do we replace him with someone who is able to get this squad playing to their potential.
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 00:20 - Dec 28 with 1783 viewsFireboy2

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 23:54 - Dec 27 by Luther27

In Martins view he has the method…he has the tactical nuance….but he doesn’t have the players to carry that on the pitch. That’s why his defence is to throw his players under the bus. He will never change his philosophy that’s for sure.
The issue is do we have the money to buy players to suit Martin….or do we replace him with someone who is able to get this squad playing to their potential.

He has had two windows to get the players he needs, the system he plays requires quick players, we have them but he doesn't play them.
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 09:20 - Dec 28 with 1548 viewskrunchykarrot

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 23:22 - Dec 27 by Brynmill_Jack

So the alternative view is that he can do it but now chooses not to? That’s even worse than not being able to do it in the first place!

The thing is he wants to play possesion football which cannot be faulted. He has had time to implement his tactics with the squad and it has been at times when at pace excellent. The problem as i see it is the players are not good enough to implement this and here lies the issue. He will either have to try and tweak to suit or stick to his guns which the evidence suggests. To play this way you need time and buy in from players a big budget and understanding fans and Chairman, and we are never going to have the budget.
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 09:39 - Dec 28 with 1518 viewsKeithHaynes

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/59205/russell-martin-‘

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 09:48 - Dec 28 with 1508 viewsBryanSwan

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 09:20 - Dec 28 by krunchykarrot

The thing is he wants to play possesion football which cannot be faulted. He has had time to implement his tactics with the squad and it has been at times when at pace excellent. The problem as i see it is the players are not good enough to implement this and here lies the issue. He will either have to try and tweak to suit or stick to his guns which the evidence suggests. To play this way you need time and buy in from players a big budget and understanding fans and Chairman, and we are never going to have the budget.

There are many different ways to play "possesion" football and we've played a number of different iterations. Be it Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup or Potter.
The notable difference between all four and Martin is that they had a much greater incentive to attack and score goals. Martin seems happy to sit in a game knocking it around until we inevitably go behind.

I dont think Martin can take this squad any further, we desperately need a change, who that is i couldnt tell you. But Martin isn't working.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 10:00 - Dec 28 with 1499 viewsTenbySwan

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 09:48 - Dec 28 by BryanSwan

There are many different ways to play "possesion" football and we've played a number of different iterations. Be it Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup or Potter.
The notable difference between all four and Martin is that they had a much greater incentive to attack and score goals. Martin seems happy to sit in a game knocking it around until we inevitably go behind.

I dont think Martin can take this squad any further, we desperately need a change, who that is i couldnt tell you. But Martin isn't working.

Osian Roberts
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 10:23 - Dec 28 with 1440 viewsonehunglow

Question is why it is he is still seen as a coach
To dismiss relegation is folly ,too.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 10:42 - Dec 28 with 1420 viewsBadlands

Last night we had multiple chances to win the game especially when attacking options were brought on.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2022 11:08]

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Login to get fewer ads

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 10:48 - Dec 28 with 1410 viewsTreforys_Jack

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 10:00 - Dec 28 by TenbySwan

Osian Roberts

Is he a manager though? Does he want to be a manager?
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 12:45 - Dec 28 with 1300 viewsLuther27

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 00:20 - Dec 28 by Fireboy2

He has had two windows to get the players he needs, the system he plays requires quick players, we have them but he doesn't play them.

Cheaper to get rid of him
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 14:07 - Dec 28 with 1211 viewsBryanSwan

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 10:48 - Dec 28 by Treforys_Jack

Is he a manager though? Does he want to be a manager?

Was interviewed for the Wales job after Coleman left.
Hasn't managed a league club which makes it a huge gamble.
I quite like Schumacher at Plymouth although i couldn't see him leaving them when they are doing so well. Arguably a bigger club than us.

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 14:34 - Dec 28 with 1187 viewsBadlands

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 14:07 - Dec 28 by BryanSwan

Was interviewed for the Wales job after Coleman left.
Hasn't managed a league club which makes it a huge gamble.
I quite like Schumacher at Plymouth although i couldn't see him leaving them when they are doing so well. Arguably a bigger club than us.

Why do you think they are a bigger club than us?
A few seasons in the top division way back when but otherwise between Second and third division.
Population very similar. Smaller catchment population and more remote.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 14:36 - Dec 28 with 1169 viewsonehunglow

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 14:34 - Dec 28 by Badlands

A few seasons in the top division way back when but otherwise between Second and third division.

Plymouth nowhere near us.
Laughable.
For a start,they’ve not been anywhere near top flight

This is us again feeling the Russy effect

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 15:07 - Dec 28 with 1120 viewsBryanSwan

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 14:34 - Dec 28 by Badlands

I don't think there is much between the two is all I'm saying. Similar size of club, similar attendance for equivalent division.
Not seen the top flight as we have, maybe that swings it but if both are in the champ only maybe our facilities are better.
Couldn't see a manager jumping to us unless for purely monetary reasons.

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 15:09 - Dec 28 with 1106 viewscadleigh

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 09:39 - Dec 28 by KeithHaynes

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/59205/russell-martin-‘

Keith - I agree with you that anyone who apportions 100% of the blame for our current situation to Martin is being unfair. But as the manager, with the apparent unequivocal backing of the Board over the coaching team he wants, the structure of the other back room positions, and (within the limits of our finances), the kitty he needs to create his dream team, surely a large part of the buck stops with him?
If yesterday's game was a pie (the Pie of Disappointment perhaps), how big a slice would you carve for Russell Martin? How much for the quality of the players, their mindset, the Board, poor refereeing, sheer bad luck? (BTW I think poor player attitude is a lot to do with the way they are managed. If their attitude sucks, bench them. But do it behind closed doors, not in the media like Martin seems to prefer.)

Poll: How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around?

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 15:36 - Dec 28 with 1061 viewsKeithHaynes

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 15:09 - Dec 28 by cadleigh

Keith - I agree with you that anyone who apportions 100% of the blame for our current situation to Martin is being unfair. But as the manager, with the apparent unequivocal backing of the Board over the coaching team he wants, the structure of the other back room positions, and (within the limits of our finances), the kitty he needs to create his dream team, surely a large part of the buck stops with him?
If yesterday's game was a pie (the Pie of Disappointment perhaps), how big a slice would you carve for Russell Martin? How much for the quality of the players, their mindset, the Board, poor refereeing, sheer bad luck? (BTW I think poor player attitude is a lot to do with the way they are managed. If their attitude sucks, bench them. But do it behind closed doors, not in the media like Martin seems to prefer.)

Constructive dialogue is always best 👍

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 16:06 - Dec 28 with 1015 viewsCatullus

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 15:36 - Dec 28 by KeithHaynes

Yes but it is not constructive to throw players under the bus then discard them for a while.

If the players are poorly motivated we simply have to ask why? Maybe they have had enough of Russell Martin?

It's the same mistakes week after week which has become month after month. Something has to change.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 16:07 - Dec 28 with 1015 viewsLuther27

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 15:09 - Dec 28 by cadleigh

There’s only so many players he can bench or fall out with. That’s the problem.
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 16:55 - Dec 28 with 967 viewsonehunglow

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 15:36 - Dec 28 by KeithHaynes

We need the team to be constructive for a start . That means being professional which means not replicating mistakes .
As we do.

We are drifting away yet some are not bothered yet,but they will be soon.

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 16:55 - Dec 28 with 972 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 16:06 - Dec 28 by Catullus

Yes but it is not constructive to throw players under the bus then discard them for a while.

If the players are poorly motivated we simply have to ask why? Maybe they have had enough of Russell Martin?

It's the same mistakes week after week which has become month after month. Something has to change.

If players aren’t performing and all in house options have been explored then a manager should publicly throw them under the bus. But then certain players can play crap week in week out and not get benched and remain immune to criticism and bus throwing incidents.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 16:58 - Dec 28 with 957 viewsonehunglow

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 16:55 - Dec 28 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

If players aren’t performing and all in house options have been explored then a manager should publicly throw them under the bus. But then certain players can play crap week in week out and not get benched and remain immune to criticism and bus throwing incidents.

Ab. Solutely

Why has not young Stevens been tried .
How could he be worse that Sorinola or Lati.

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 17:11 - Dec 28 with 933 viewsbuilthjack

Strange this. I saw more from the Builth area, and a load from Llanidloes, at Reading, than I do at home games.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 18:05 - Dec 28 with 893 viewsshingle

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 22:56 - Dec 27 by pencoedjack

Really?

7 points from the bottom 3 with a tough run of games coming up.

You are far more optimistic than me Dr.

I would say more delusional than you.
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 18:20 - Dec 28 with 853 viewsCatullus

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 16:55 - Dec 28 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Wrong surely, no good manager throws any player under the bus until they have left.

Alex Ferguson never did it while a player was still his, he went to extreme lengths to defend his charges and look what happened there.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:50 - Dec 28 with 761 viewsBoundy

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 18:20 - Dec 28 by Catullus

Wrong surely, no good manager throws any player under the bus until they have left.

Alex Ferguson never did it while a player was still his, he went to extreme lengths to defend his charges and look what happened there.

I've no idea what strengths and weaknesses Martin has overall but for me a definition of a good manager / coach is someone who
Recognises the players strengths and weaknesses. ...
Patience. ...
Recognises their own strengths and weaknesses. ....
is tactically aware
Leadership. ...
Good communication skills. ...
Positivity. ...
Passion. ...
Perseverance. ...
Good Luck
How many boxes can he tick

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024