Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED 23:51 - Dec 22 with 20870 viewsNotLoyal

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/59182/swansea-independen

LIVE THIS XMAS. Click below.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:36 - Dec 27 with 1109 viewscimlaswan

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:29 - Dec 27 by cockett_jack

But surely the players need to take some responsibility for not doing anything with the ball in the final third? I find it really hard to believe they are passing it excessively without the instinct to have a pop/run at defenders

Well Oko-Flex was the only one running at defenders against Wigan and yet he was the one that was hooked at half time in that match so why did Martin make that decision?
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:37 - Dec 27 with 1103 viewsunion_jack

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:29 - Dec 27 by cockett_jack

But surely the players need to take some responsibility for not doing anything with the ball in the final third? I find it really hard to believe they are passing it excessively without the instinct to have a pop/run at defenders

It’s happening every game though CJ. It’s part if his tactics but the players haven’t the ability to carve out chances with that style.

I watched Arsenal yesterday and they play this type of game but have the magic to get chances and goals which we don’t. Our possession game is pointless, literally.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:41 - Dec 27 with 1017 viewsDr_Parnassus

The last person who took his instincts above instruction got hooked off and blasted to the media, Oko flex.

This is the managers instructions, not the players lack of ability. These players could mostly all be playing for clubs challenging for promotion, many could even be playing EPL football.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:43 - Dec 27 with 1035 viewsvetchonian

how many fist pumps did we get today

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:43 - Dec 27 with 1035 viewsBryanSwan

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:24 - Dec 27 by Luther27

After watching that I’d say we are more relegation candidates as we can’t seem to buy 3 pts anywhere. Absolutely clueless and tactically challenged…..and that’s just the manager ffs

Under RM i think we could be a side anywhere from midtable to the bottom 3 at the moment.
The worst bit for me is that i think we have a pretty decent squad to have a tilt at the playoffs.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:45 - Dec 27 with 988 viewsDr_Parnassus

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:36 - Dec 27 by cimlaswan

Well Oko-Flex was the only one running at defenders against Wigan and yet he was the one that was hooked at half time in that match so why did Martin make that decision?

Sorry just read this, we agree.

There is a massive difference between how we are playing now and how we played prior to Martin. This is by design.

At this level players are employed to follow instructions, not to play how they think is best.

I can guarantee if the players had it their way, they would not be having 80% possession and they would be taking the game by the scruff of the neck and attacking.

How we play is utter nonsense and it’s embarrassing that it’s been allowed for so long unopposed.

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:46 - Dec 27 with 999 viewsCatullus

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:37 - Dec 27 by union_jack

It’s happening every game though CJ. It’s part if his tactics but the players haven’t the ability to carve out chances with that style.

I watched Arsenal yesterday and they play this type of game but have the magic to get chances and goals which we don’t. Our possession game is pointless, literally.

Absolutely this. Our players are not quick enough or talented enough to playthis style and win games consistently.

When we switched styles and went more direct we picked up oints but then, inexplicablye, he changed back and we've been dross ever since.

His refusal to accept this and persevere with this boring, non winning style is a puzzle. Is he really that arrogane and stubborn?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:46 - Dec 27 with 992 viewsonehunglow

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:41 - Dec 27 by Dr_Parnassus

The last person who took his instincts above instruction got hooked off and blasted to the media, Oko flex.

This is the managers instructions, not the players lack of ability. These players could mostly all be playing for clubs challenging for promotion, many could even be playing EPL football.

Martin is clearly a tyrant
Makes you wonder about Abefemi
And Ncham
And Whittaker
And Joseph

Yet Grimes the Slow plays every minute

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:48 - Dec 27 with 973 viewsmax936

Where was the urgency we had in that last 20 or so minutes in the previous 70 mins, its baffling, Darling had to score with that chance and that corner at the end was very poorly executed, fair play to Manning for running his guts out in getting back to clear to stop Ince scoring a third.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:50 - Dec 27 with 959 viewstheloneranger

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:46 - Dec 27 by onehunglow

Martin is clearly a tyrant
Makes you wonder about Abefemi
And Ncham
And Whittaker
And Joseph

Yet Grimes the Slow plays every minute

It's no different from when Obafemi was at Southampton, and their manager Ralph Hasenhuttl said this in November 2020 ...

“The problem with Michael was always he would play one good game and then fall back a little bit and was not professional enough to force or keep his position in the team or in the squad.
“This makes it too easy for others to go above him. I think this is what he must learn.

“Once he is in the squad, don’t give it away so easily and try to be aggressive and dangerous in front of the goal.

“I think this is something he misses, but he’s young, he still has to learn a lot and this is a kind of mentality but is also a kind of quality.”

2 years later, not much has changed!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:52 - Dec 27 with 915 viewsDr_Parnassus

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:46 - Dec 27 by Catullus

Absolutely this. Our players are not quick enough or talented enough to playthis style and win games consistently.

When we switched styles and went more direct we picked up oints but then, inexplicablye, he changed back and we've been dross ever since.

His refusal to accept this and persevere with this boring, non winning style is a puzzle. Is he really that arrogane and stubborn?

…and again, it’s important to note that is by design. People will take that and lay the blame at the players.

Anyone with flair or pace is hounded out by Martin. The slow approach is what he likes, which is why he said it was an excellent performance a few games back when we were pedestrian for 90 mins.

The way we are playing is Martins way. Most of these players are now his and brought in for this purpose.

He has no excuses and people can’t keep making them on his behalf. He doesn’t have the CV to warrant it, it’s not worked anywhere he’s been.

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:53 - Dec 27 with 934 viewsvetchonian

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:50 - Dec 27 by theloneranger

It's no different from when Obafemi was at Southampton, and their manager Ralph Hasenhuttl said this in November 2020 ...

“The problem with Michael was always he would play one good game and then fall back a little bit and was not professional enough to force or keep his position in the team or in the squad.
“This makes it too easy for others to go above him. I think this is what he must learn.

“Once he is in the squad, don’t give it away so easily and try to be aggressive and dangerous in front of the goal.

“I think this is something he misses, but he’s young, he still has to learn a lot and this is a kind of mentality but is also a kind of quality.”

well said Russ

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:55 - Dec 27 with 927 viewsDr_Winston

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:50 - Dec 27 by theloneranger

I'm getting tired of hearing what a sacked Southampton manager might have said two years ago. It's almost as if people are incapable of forming conclusions of their own.

At any point when Obafemi has played for the Swans, has he given anything less than 100%? How many times has he bust an absolute gut chasing back from upfront to make tackles or win the ball back? How many times has he come off the pitch dripping with sweat because of the amount of work that he's put in, yet we're expected to believe that he can't be arsed and would rather not play? As in and out of the side as he has been, as continually singled out for criticism as he has been, has he ever set foot on the pitch and not given his best?

To put it another way, Martin has far more form for falling out with and then ignoring players than Obafemi does with managers.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2022 19:56]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:57 - Dec 27 with 906 viewsBoundy

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:48 - Dec 27 by max936

Where was the urgency we had in that last 20 or so minutes in the previous 70 mins, its baffling, Darling had to score with that chance and that corner at the end was very poorly executed, fair play to Manning for running his guts out in getting back to clear to stop Ince scoring a third.

Maybe because it's easier to be urgent when you're chasing the game rather than controlling it which we haven't done for too many games or maybe because not that Martin is a tactical genius but because the subs he brings on feel they should have started in the first place and want to prove a point

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:59 - Dec 27 with 889 viewsguthrieintherain

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:13 - Dec 27 by cimlaswan

No wins in 8 now but that has nothing to do with Martin of course

It's a combination of everything manager players set piece coach what is he getting paid for.

One thing is certain though you can't blame the board.

Martin has been well backed and the fans deserve better.

Poll: What will happen with Morgan Whittaker

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:00 - Dec 27 with 883 viewsCatullus

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:55 - Dec 27 by Dr_Winston

I'm getting tired of hearing what a sacked Southampton manager might have said two years ago. It's almost as if people are incapable of forming conclusions of their own.

At any point when Obafemi has played for the Swans, has he given anything less than 100%? How many times has he bust an absolute gut chasing back from upfront to make tackles or win the ball back? How many times has he come off the pitch dripping with sweat because of the amount of work that he's put in, yet we're expected to believe that he can't be arsed and would rather not play? As in and out of the side as he has been, as continually singled out for criticism as he has been, has he ever set foot on the pitch and not given his best?

To put it another way, Martin has far more form for falling out with and then ignoring players than Obafemi does with managers.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2022 19:56]

How many players have been mysteriously missing? There's several now and its twice with Oba.

I don't like booing at the ground, I don't like calling for the managers head at games either. I'll probably just not go. Empty stands will convey a message better than booing, or wil they? Will the owners take any notice whatever happens?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:02 - Dec 27 with 879 viewscimlaswan

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:46 - Dec 27 by Catullus

I think the answer is probably yes.

It seems that it is more important for him to be viewed as a footballing manager with this great philosophy than to actually get good results. In a way I don't blame him. It was that perception of him that got the job here in the first place.
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:03 - Dec 27 with 870 viewsDr_Winston

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:00 - Dec 27 by Catullus

How many players have been mysteriously missing? There's several now and its twice with Oba.

I don't like booing at the ground, I don't like calling for the managers head at games either. I'll probably just not go. Empty stands will convey a message better than booing, or wil they? Will the owners take any notice whatever happens?

Oba, Ogbeta, Fin Stevens, Jay Fulton, Kyle Joseph and Morgan Whittaker have all been totally ignored at one point or another. Benda was kicked to the curb almost immediately too.

Plus the early talk about Piroe.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:07 - Dec 27 with 850 viewscockett_jack

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:02 - Dec 27 by cimlaswan

It seems that it is more important for him to be viewed as a footballing manager with this great philosophy than to actually get good results. In a way I don't blame him. It was that perception of him that got the job here in the first place.

Maybe it’s time for Swansea fans to drop the whole ‘Swansea way’ thing. Not saying what we are witnessing is that but would Swansea fans trade passing and possession based football for scruffier wins? Wasn’t that the problem with Cooper in a lot of peoples eyes?
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:12 - Dec 27 with 809 viewsDr_Winston

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:07 - Dec 27 by cockett_jack

Maybe it’s time for Swansea fans to drop the whole ‘Swansea way’ thing. Not saying what we are witnessing is that but would Swansea fans trade passing and possession based football for scruffier wins? Wasn’t that the problem with Cooper in a lot of peoples eyes?

Ultimately all we want is to be entertained. If we were never to be promoted again yet came out of the ground every home game thinking that we'd had our money's worth then most would be happy with that.

Cooper and Martin are both cut from the same cloth. Clipboard managers who pay more attention to statistics and theory than they do to what gets served up on the pitch.

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:13 - Dec 27 with 796 viewsunion_jack

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:03 - Dec 27 by Dr_Winston

Oba, Ogbeta, Fin Stevens, Jay Fulton, Kyle Joseph and Morgan Whittaker have all been totally ignored at one point or another. Benda was kicked to the curb almost immediately too.

Plus the early talk about Piroe.

Everyone but Grimes it seems😁

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:14 - Dec 27 with 793 viewsFireboy2

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:43 - Dec 27 by BryanSwan

Under RM i think we could be a side anywhere from midtable to the bottom 3 at the moment.
The worst bit for me is that i think we have a pretty decent squad to have a tilt at the playoffs.

That's what boils my p!ss.

We have some good players and Marton is coaching ability out of them.

I still cannot believe what i saw tonight.
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:14 - Dec 27 with 790 viewsBoundy

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:02 - Dec 27 by cimlaswan

Perception are all well and good but its results that matter and we're not achieving them ergo neither is Martin .Commentators as we heard tonight pick up and repeat buzz words , owners are more perceptive especially if it's going to cost them money and they're good at what they do , it seems ours have been had

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:16 - Dec 27 with 782 viewsFireboy2

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 19:53 - Dec 27 by vetchonian

well said Russ

Well it's the truth.
Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:17 - Dec 27 with 766 viewsCatullus

Reading v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2022/23 UPDATED on 20:07 - Dec 27 by cockett_jack

Everything was Ok wiith Cooper in his first season. The second season things went bad, which I have come to believe was because the owners didn' back him despite his previous season.

Yet they are backing Martin to the hilt and he has done nothing yet.

What we want, I think, is pragmatic football. Play the game that is needed not the ideological game. Sticking to a gameplan when it doesn't work (week after interminable week) is crazy. If we are 2 nil up then play this possession stuff, apart from the suicidal passing around our pen area. When we haven't scored be more direct, go at the oppo goal when chances are there. We are too cautious in attack and too loose in defence.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024