Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport 13:10 - Jan 10 with 10382 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wizz-air-pulling-out-cardiff-25939

The Departure / Arrivals Boards are very quiet.

https://www.cardiff-airport.com/live-flight-information/arrivals/

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 14:13 - Jan 16 with 857 viewsWhiterockin

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 13:42 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

This is an often overlooked fact when discussing the airport. If Cardiff airport shuts, those high skilled jobs at BAMC probably go too.

Would it be practical to move this facility to RAF St Athan.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 14:52 - Jan 16 with 815 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 14:13 - Jan 16 by Whiterockin

Would it be practical to move this facility to RAF St Athan.

About as practical as trying to move the swans to Cwm level park. I think the BA maintenance hangar is bigger than the airport terminal building.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 14:55]

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 14:53 - Jan 16 with 812 viewspencoedjack

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 14:52 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

About as practical as trying to move the swans to Cwm level park. I think the BA maintenance hangar is bigger than the airport terminal building.

Why?
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:10 - Jan 16 with 795 viewsRobbie

Thought it was kept open so Drakeford and the rest of the WAG could nip up to North Wales Hawarden Airport , show their faces up there , and then fly back again on the same day ,

Taxpayers subsidised flights probably .
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:11 - Jan 16 with 795 viewsWhiterockin

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 14:52 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

Looking on Google maps it's not that large. There are large maintenance units on other airfields no longer doing commercial flights. I still think St Athan is practical.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:11 - Jan 16 with 795 viewsBoundy

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 13:42 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

This is an often overlooked fact when discussing the airport. If Cardiff airport shuts, those high skilled jobs at BAMC probably go too.

Why would the jobs go ,? I thought British Airways is a separate entity so I'm not sure what the link is between the two other than sharing some of the facilities .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:12 - Jan 16 with 790 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 14:53 - Jan 16 by pencoedjack

Why?

Because St Athan doesn't have a spare £100 million maintenance hangar capable of facilitating 1200 staff and servicing BA aircraft going spare. Keep up.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:24 - Jan 16 with 767 viewsWhiterockin

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:12 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

Because St Athan doesn't have a spare £100 million maintenance hangar capable of facilitating 1200 staff and servicing BA aircraft going spare. Keep up.

They are employing less than half that at the Cardiff Airport site. More are employed at other units around South Wales.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/22/british-airways-to-made-redundant-239-o
Login to get fewer ads

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:27 - Jan 16 with 753 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:11 - Jan 16 by Whiterockin

Looking on Google maps it's not that large. There are large maintenance units on other airfields no longer doing commercial flights. I still think St Athan is practical.

Oh you've looked on google maps and solved it. Brilliant. Ok so you've conjured a brand spanking new hangar at the cost of several hundred million out of thin air. Well done.

Now who are you expecting to pay for the running costs of the runway and other airport infrastructure that would be needed at St Athan?

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:33 - Jan 16 with 743 viewsWhiterockin

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:27 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

Oh you've looked on google maps and solved it. Brilliant. Ok so you've conjured a brand spanking new hangar at the cost of several hundred million out of thin air. Well done.

Now who are you expecting to pay for the running costs of the runway and other airport infrastructure that would be needed at St Athan?

Read my follow up post regarding employment numbers. RAF St Athan are not currently using all their site. I would imagine BA would need to maintain the runway, they are paying fees now. It's works fine on other sites not doing commercial flights any longer.

Keep up.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:35 - Jan 16 with 738 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:11 - Jan 16 by Boundy

Why would the jobs go ,? I thought British Airways is a separate entity so I'm not sure what the link is between the two other than sharing some of the facilities .

BA doesn't pay to keep the airport running, they just pay to use the facilities .

If the airport shuts, BA would have to take on the operating costs of running and maintaining the actual airport facilities, runway, tower, maintenence etc so their planes could continue to land there. BA probably aren't going to meet those millions of pounds in rolling extra costs so would likely seek to move the jobs elsewhere which would be awful for the south Wales economy.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 15:52]

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:39 - Jan 16 with 730 viewspencoedjack

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:12 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

I think you are probably including those who work in Caerphilly in that 1200 staff (which is on its arse as well, hence GE opening a new facility in Poland).

Pretty sure that the 100 million hangar includes most of the equipment inside it as well.

At the end of the day we cant keep spunking money away on an airport that is haemorrhaging money at an alarming rate.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:40 - Jan 16 with 730 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:33 - Jan 16 by Whiterockin

Read my follow up post regarding employment numbers. RAF St Athan are not currently using all their site. I would imagine BA would need to maintain the runway, they are paying fees now. It's works fine on other sites not doing commercial flights any longer.

Keep up.

BA pay to use the runway in Cardiff but they aren't responsible for the sizeable costs of running and maintaining a working airport.

So your suggestion is for BA to move to a smaller, unequipped and as it stands totally fictional facility, and to take on more day to day running costs? And that's better for whom exactly?

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:51 - Jan 16 with 713 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:39 - Jan 16 by pencoedjack

I think you are probably including those who work in Caerphilly in that 1200 staff (which is on its arse as well, hence GE opening a new facility in Poland).

Pretty sure that the 100 million hangar includes most of the equipment inside it as well.

At the end of the day we cant keep spunking money away on an airport that is haemorrhaging money at an alarming rate.

At the end of the day there are hundreds of highly skilled jobs on the line too. If the airport shuts, how do we replace them?

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:53 - Jan 16 with 712 viewsSullutaCreturned

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:40 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

BA pay to use the runway in Cardiff but they aren't responsible for the sizeable costs of running and maintaining a working airport.

So your suggestion is for BA to move to a smaller, unequipped and as it stands totally fictional facility, and to take on more day to day running costs? And that's better for whom exactly?

It still might be a lot cheaper to close the airport and pay the upkeep of all you mentioned for BA to use.

I guess in the end, if there are only 239 jobs left there, shutting it al down and BA leaving may not be the blow you think it is. It may well be more expensive to keep an airport going that is losing tens of millions per year.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:54 - Jan 16 with 711 viewsWhiterockin

You will not need the costs of a fully functioning comercial airport.

"And that's better for whom exactly?"

Every person living in Wales who could see their money channelled into more needy things, like health, education and infrastructure.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 16:24 - Jan 16 with 678 viewsbuilthjack

Ryanair are now going daily to Dublin all Summer, and Twice weekly to Malaga. From Cardiff. That's handy.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 16:44 - Jan 16 with 664 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:54 - Jan 16 by Whiterockin

You will not need the costs of a fully functioning comercial airport.

"And that's better for whom exactly?"

Every person living in Wales who could see their money channelled into more needy things, like health, education and infrastructure.

What you've suggested would result in considerably higher costs for BA what with them having to build a brand new facility as well as incurring the running costs of maintaining and operating a suitable airport. Why wouldn't BA relocate those jobs to other facilities?

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 16:48 - Jan 16 with 657 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:53 - Jan 16 by SullutaCreturned

It still might be a lot cheaper to close the airport and pay the upkeep of all you mentioned for BA to use.

I guess in the end, if there are only 239 jobs left there, shutting it al down and BA leaving may not be the blow you think it is. It may well be more expensive to keep an airport going that is losing tens of millions per year.

Potentially. The Senedd should be looking at a closure contingency which keeps the airfield open for BAMC. That might be even more costly though if the airport loses its commercial revenue.

How many other businesses in the area are reliant on the airport and BAMC? The knock on effect would be huge.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 16:51 - Jan 16 with 653 viewsSullutaCreturned

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 16:44 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

What you've suggested would result in considerably higher costs for BA what with them having to build a brand new facility as well as incurring the running costs of maintaining and operating a suitable airport. Why wouldn't BA relocate those jobs to other facilities?

Again I'll ask, would losing 239 jobs (which the cuts BA are making would leave us with) be better than throwing tens of millions at a failing airport?

A good chunk of those jobs would be relocated anyway so while some would lose their jobs, some would be asked to relocate with BA.

I reckon it's a moot point anyway because the Senedd won't allow CW airport to collapse without first funnelling many more millions into it, it could be years.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 16:55 - Jan 16 with 650 viewsWhiterockin

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 16:44 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

We have established now on that site they are employing less than a quarter of the 1200 you stated. BA would not only need to relocate the jobs but move the maintenance site. Why not stay there and pay a percentage to service the site, it will probably remain for freight and private use. Its just the Senedd trying to keep a comercial passenger airport open that is the issue.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 17:20 - Jan 16 with 625 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 16:51 - Jan 16 by SullutaCreturned

Again I'll ask, would losing 239 jobs (which the cuts BA are making would leave us with) be better than throwing tens of millions at a failing airport?

A good chunk of those jobs would be relocated anyway so while some would lose their jobs, some would be asked to relocate with BA.

I reckon it's a moot point anyway because the Senedd won't allow CW airport to collapse without first funnelling many more millions into it, it could be years.

It wouldn't just be 239 jobs though would it? and a job relocated is still a job lost to south Wales.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 17:24 - Jan 16 with 624 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 16:55 - Jan 16 by Whiterockin

We have established now on that site they are employing less than a quarter of the 1200 you stated. BA would not only need to relocate the jobs but move the maintenance site. Why not stay there and pay a percentage to service the site, it will probably remain for freight and private use. Its just the Senedd trying to keep a comercial passenger airport open that is the issue.

If you say so. So you're in favour of BA staying in their existing site now? It's a shame your simple fix of just moving everything to a smaller, worse facility never took off.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 17:31 - Jan 16 with 609 viewsWhiterockin

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 17:24 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

If you say so. So you're in favour of BA staying in their existing site now? It's a shame your simple fix of just moving everything to a smaller, worse facility never took off.

Just looking at various options available. I don't really care as long as they stop wasting our money and spend it where it is needed more.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 19:56 - Jan 16 with 573 viewsBoundy

I believe British Airways is a private Company ? so why then should the taxpayer sutbsidise BA for maintaining a runway in which they use for their profit making enterprise or is this another example of the Sennedd mismanagement of taxpayers money , by the way IAG in four years paid out over €4.1bn to its shareholders .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024