Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport 13:10 - Jan 10 with 9461 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wizz-air-pulling-out-cardiff-25939

The Departure / Arrivals Boards are very quiet.

https://www.cardiff-airport.com/live-flight-information/arrivals/

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 20:45 - Jan 16 with 1103 viewsKilkennyjack

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 17:31 - Jan 16 by Whiterockin

Just looking at various options available. I don't really care as long as they stop wasting our money and spend it where it is needed more.

The Liz Truss/KK budget cost the Uk tax payers £30 billion.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/12/revealed-the-30bn-cost-of-liz-t

Are you concerned about that waste of public money ?

For comparison, the Airport's latest accounts (March 2021), report a pre-tax loss of £23.90m for 2019-20.

Beware of the Risen People

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 20:51 - Jan 16 with 1088 viewsWhiterockin

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 20:45 - Jan 16 by Kilkennyjack

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/12/revealed-the-30bn-cost-of-liz-t

For comparison, the Airport's latest accounts (March 2021), report a pre-tax loss of £23.90m for 2019-20.

That has nothing to do with the Senedd throwing money down the wasteful Cardiff Airport pit. Unless you have the intelligence to explain different.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/a-bottomless-pit-taxpayers-cash-25
[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 20:59]

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 21:31 - Jan 16 with 1046 viewsmajorraglan

In addition to the jobs at Cardiff Wales airport, BA also have an avionic engineering arm at Pontyclun and a separate BA interior engineering facility in Blackwood, on to of the GE have a massive unit in Caerphilly which services jet engines, this facility employs 1400 people.

RAF St Athan is now called MOD St Athan and its been significantly downscaled to an engineering school. Part of the site including the runway has been sold off to the WG who’ve developed industrial units / business park.

Cardiff airports runway is much bigger than the St Athan runway and about 20% bigger than Bristol, it was extended to take bigger jets which fitted in with BA’s needs.

Moving the BA facility is a non runner.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 22:12 - Jan 16 with 1008 viewsBoundy

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 16:51 - Jan 16 by SullutaCreturned

Again I'll ask, would losing 239 jobs (which the cuts BA are making would leave us with) be better than throwing tens of millions at a failing airport?

A good chunk of those jobs would be relocated anyway so while some would lose their jobs, some would be asked to relocate with BA.

I reckon it's a moot point anyway because the Senedd won't allow CW airport to collapse without first funnelling many more millions into it, it could be years.

Swansea lost 200 jobs at the local tax office , not much fuss was raised about that I recall

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 22:19 - Jan 16 with 1005 viewsBoundy

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 21:31 - Jan 16 by majorraglan

In addition to the jobs at Cardiff Wales airport, BA also have an avionic engineering arm at Pontyclun and a separate BA interior engineering facility in Blackwood, on to of the GE have a massive unit in Caerphilly which services jet engines, this facility employs 1400 people.

RAF St Athan is now called MOD St Athan and its been significantly downscaled to an engineering school. Part of the site including the runway has been sold off to the WG who’ve developed industrial units / business park.

Cardiff airports runway is much bigger than the St Athan runway and about 20% bigger than Bristol, it was extended to take bigger jets which fitted in with BA’s needs.

Moving the BA facility is a non runner.

But still no explanation as to why BA would pull out should the commercial side of the Airport close . These are separate enterprises sharing a facility ( the runway) ,and also why would the satellite engineering facilities go , the GE facility existed decades before BA built its facilities at Rhoose.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 22:35 - Jan 16 with 1001 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 22:19 - Jan 16 by Boundy

But still no explanation as to why BA would pull out should the commercial side of the Airport close . These are separate enterprises sharing a facility ( the runway) ,and also why would the satellite engineering facilities go , the GE facility existed decades before BA built its facilities at Rhoose.

How do you propose BA land their planes at Cardiff if the airport is shut?

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 22:41 - Jan 16 with 990 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 19:56 - Jan 16 by Boundy

I believe British Airways is a private Company ? so why then should the taxpayer sutbsidise BA for maintaining a runway in which they use for their profit making enterprise or is this another example of the Sennedd mismanagement of taxpayers money , by the way IAG in four years paid out over €4.1bn to its shareholders .

Is blaming the Senedd a reflex action? BAMCY was built before devolution 😂

Have you only just discovered the fact the government subsidises private businesses? Wait till you hear how farmers earn a living in this country, or find out who pays for all the public highways all those private businesses selfishly use…

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 22:52 - Jan 16 with 971 viewsBoundy

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 22:41 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

Have you only just discovered the fact the government subsidises private businesses? Wait till you hear how farmers earn a living in this country, or find out who pays for all the public highways all those private businesses selfishly use…

Whos blaming the Senned that's a secondary issue . Do you agree that the only reason you're desperate that the Airport remains open is so BA won't have to pay to maintain a facility that atm no one else wants to use .
By way Farmers grow the crops for the benefit of the nation, BA maintain their fleet of aircraft for the benefit of their shareholders or that private businesses pay road tax to use the highways , not quite the same now is it .

Login to get fewer ads

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 22:54 - Jan 16 with 959 viewsWhiterockin

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 22:41 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

Just keep digging the hole is getting deeper. Can you see anyone agreeing with you.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 23:13 - Jan 16 with 934 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 22:54 - Jan 16 by Whiterockin

Just keep digging the hole is getting deeper. Can you see anyone agreeing with you.

What’s this? My dads bigger than your dad? 😂 chalk this whole thread up as a 10-0 victory to you of it makes you feel better.

I wouldn’t care if every user of this forum past and present went on a march to support you in your campaign for “moving everything to St Athan itl all be fine” because it wouldn’t make it any more feasible.

If you think it’s for the best that Cardiff airport closes then fine, that’s your opinion. But hopefully you are starting to grasp that the situation with BAMC makes it a bit more difficult for the Welsh Government.

Personally I think it’s been quite an engaging exchange. I don’t know how to run an airport or turn around a failing one but I’d like to see some cost analysis on what options exist for Cardiff. However I think allowing the site to close should be a last resort.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 23:26 - Jan 16 with 919 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 22:52 - Jan 16 by Boundy

Whos blaming the Senned that's a secondary issue . Do you agree that the only reason you're desperate that the Airport remains open is so BA won't have to pay to maintain a facility that atm no one else wants to use .
By way Farmers grow the crops for the benefit of the nation, BA maintain their fleet of aircraft for the benefit of their shareholders or that private businesses pay road tax to use the highways , not quite the same now is it .

I don’t want BAMC or the airport to shut because I don’t want people to lose their jobs. Simple as. Airlines don’t usually own and operate airports. Why would we expect BA to pay to maintain an airport when they could simply relocate the jobs?

Our farmers also export their goods for profit, albeit a lot less now since Brexit. It will be interesting to see how sheep farmers in Gower fare now our supermarket shelves are brimming with cheap New Zealand lamb, courtesy of Brexit again.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 09:13 - Jan 17 with 857 viewsBoundy

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 23:26 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

I don’t want BAMC or the airport to shut because I don’t want people to lose their jobs. Simple as. Airlines don’t usually own and operate airports. Why would we expect BA to pay to maintain an airport when they could simply relocate the jobs?

Our farmers also export their goods for profit, albeit a lot less now since Brexit. It will be interesting to see how sheep farmers in Gower fare now our supermarket shelves are brimming with cheap New Zealand lamb, courtesy of Brexit again.

No one wants to see jobs lost but any sane person doesn't want to see millions of pounds of taxpayers money being wasted on a white elephant ,millions not thousands but millions of pounds which could be better spent on spent on health, education & social care . BA make vast profits ,again no one denying them that opportunity but with those profits come expenditure so why should the a company as large as it is benefit from taxpayers money You seem to ignore yet again the fact that the Airport is paid for by everyone in Wales , BA profits benefit their shareholders and a few workers who I'm guessing with your apparent defence of them you're one of .
. No one's asked BA to maintain the airport ,why should they but they are responsible for the maintenance of their assets No sure sure why you felt the need to mention sheep /brexit but as you did I'll reiterate , farmers grow crops for everyone BA maintain planes for in comparison a few .

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 10:10 - Jan 17 with 835 viewsraynor94

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 20:45 - Jan 16 by Kilkennyjack

What has this got to do with the UK government?

Rhoose has cost Welsh taxpayers in excess of £210 million! doesn't that shock you.

Are you a Welsh taxpayer?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 14:24 - Jan 17 with 780 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 23:26 - Jan 16 by Badgeman

Our supermarkets were always full of New Zealand lamb and butter when we were in the EU because THE EU had a trade agreement with New Zealand.
Most people in Wales prefer to eat pork or beef than lamb.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:49 - Jan 17 with 756 viewspencoedjack

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 14:24 - Jan 17 by felixstowe_jack

Our supermarkets were always full of New Zealand lamb and butter when we were in the EU because THE EU had a trade agreement with New Zealand.
Most people in Wales prefer to eat pork or beef than lamb.

We will be selling loads of lamb to Qatar after Drippy's recent trip anyway.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 20:24 - Jan 17 with 710 viewsbennytheblue

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 10:10 - Jan 17 by raynor94

What has this got to do with the UK government?

Rhoose has cost Welsh taxpayers in excess of £210 million! doesn't that shock you.

Are you a Welsh taxpayer?

210 million is a frightening amount to blow, just think of all the good that could have been done with that! With the long runway and BA already using it for servicing I’ve always thought it should remarket itself as a transatlantic hub, 20/30 mins off flight time, who the hell want to go to Gatwick? Bristol has got the short haul market sewn up so if it continues that way it’s more cash down the pan.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 20:49 - Jan 17 with 688 viewsKeithHaynes

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:49 - Jan 17 by pencoedjack

We will be selling loads of lamb to Qatar after Drippy's recent trip anyway.

They are slow in coming forwards with the data claim by this website on what that all cost.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 20:57 - Jan 17 with 676 viewspencoedjack

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 20:49 - Jan 17 by KeithHaynes

They are slow in coming forwards with the data claim by this website on what that all cost.

Out of interest Keith where do you fly into on trips back to Wales?
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 21:38 - Jan 17 with 663 viewsmajorraglan

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 20:24 - Jan 17 by bennytheblue

210 million is a frightening amount to blow, just think of all the good that could have been done with that! With the long runway and BA already using it for servicing I’ve always thought it should remarket itself as a transatlantic hub, 20/30 mins off flight time, who the hell want to go to Gatwick? Bristol has got the short haul market sewn up so if it continues that way it’s more cash down the pan.

The need to dual the road leading to the airport and sort out the Brynglas tunnels once and for all. You are right about transatlantic flights, it could also be used to bring some air cargo in freeing up capacity in the South East.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 23:47 - Jan 17 with 617 viewsBoundy

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 20:24 - Jan 17 by bennytheblue

It used to have flights across the atlantic that ceased years ago . Regarding the current engineering jobs there is a concern that current welsh educational standards in maths and science are not good enough and as the Asian market increase in their production and attempts to keep everything in house ( no difference from BA ). BA when they pulled out of cardiff as an operator they also left regional airports with intention of returning . You can still fly to the US but with a number of transfers and costs at around a couple of grand would you want to.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 01:33 - Jan 18 with 612 viewsRobbie

Drakeford and his hangers on a freebie to Qatar to watch the football will obviously bring so much business back to Wales .

Qatar Airlines coming back soon as a starting point for flights , good luck Mark selling that waffle of a business and opportunity opening , wonder when they will return if ever .

Politicians , say no more .
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 08:55 - Jan 18 with 575 viewsbennytheblue

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 01:33 - Jan 18 by Robbie

Drakeford and his hangers on a freebie to Qatar to watch the football will obviously bring so much business back to Wales .

Qatar Airlines coming back soon as a starting point for flights , good luck Mark selling that waffle of a business and opportunity opening , wonder when they will return if ever .

Politicians , say no more .

Yes Drakefords trip, now we all know the Qataris are looking for a new club to invest in, in the uk…..I can think of one that’s for sale too….lol…if only eh
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 08:58 - Jan 18 with 573 viewsbennytheblue

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 21:38 - Jan 17 by majorraglan

The need to dual the road leading to the airport and sort out the Brynglas tunnels once and for all. You are right about transatlantic flights, it could also be used to bring some air cargo in freeing up capacity in the South East.

I’m not sure if it is in the wrong place, swansea area not far away to the west, plus west wales folk albeit a small population, cardiff and Newport to the east and the valleys….surely it just needs a train station with a line currently 2 miles away I believe it’s not impossible. But in Wales I guess it is. Would it make any difference if the airport was between cardiff and Newport?
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 11:07 - Jan 18 with 542 viewsWhiterockin

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 08:58 - Jan 18 by bennytheblue

I’m not sure if it is in the wrong place, swansea area not far away to the west, plus west wales folk albeit a small population, cardiff and Newport to the east and the valleys….surely it just needs a train station with a line currently 2 miles away I believe it’s not impossible. But in Wales I guess it is. Would it make any difference if the airport was between cardiff and Newport?

Travelling from Central Newport to Bristol Airport takes less than 15 minutes longer than going to Cardiff Airport. From Ebbw Vale less than 20 minutes longer, Abergavenny 5 minutes longer and Brecon just over 20 minutes longer. This a small price to pay for more choice and cheaper flights. Cardiff really is in the wrong place unless they make major improvements in flight options.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 12:07 - Jan 18 with 508 viewsbennytheblue

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 11:07 - Jan 18 by Whiterockin

Travelling from Central Newport to Bristol Airport takes less than 15 minutes longer than going to Cardiff Airport. From Ebbw Vale less than 20 minutes longer, Abergavenny 5 minutes longer and Brecon just over 20 minutes longer. This a small price to pay for more choice and cheaper flights. Cardiff really is in the wrong place unless they make major improvements in flight options.

Is the landing tax or whatever it’s called a major issue? Much higher at Cardiff than Bristol so puts off the easy jets of this world. Only Westminster can change it? And quel surprise, they don’t want to see a welsh airport doing better than a rival English one?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024