Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport 13:10 - Jan 10 with 10381 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/wizz-air-pulling-out-cardiff-25939

The Departure / Arrivals Boards are very quiet.

https://www.cardiff-airport.com/live-flight-information/arrivals/

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 08:06 - Jan 12 with 1510 viewsDr_Winston

Location wise it's fine. Close to the largest population area and an hours drive from the second largest. If you were going to start from scratch it's probably about as well placed as it could be. Problem is that there's another airport an hour away from it that is far better run.

In the natural scheme of things it would go out of business if it can't compete with a nearby rival. That's how things work. Unfortunately for the Welsh taxpayer, the Welsh Government is unwilling to accept the natural scheme of things so we're going to spend years subsidising a poorly run airport that nobody wants to use offering flights to nowhere.

It should be closed down and the whole site turned over for redevelopment. At least that way we might get some of our money back.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 13:06 - Jan 12 with 1429 viewsmajorraglan

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 08:06 - Jan 12 by Dr_Winston

Location wise it's fine. Close to the largest population area and an hours drive from the second largest. If you were going to start from scratch it's probably about as well placed as it could be. Problem is that there's another airport an hour away from it that is far better run.

In the natural scheme of things it would go out of business if it can't compete with a nearby rival. That's how things work. Unfortunately for the Welsh taxpayer, the Welsh Government is unwilling to accept the natural scheme of things so we're going to spend years subsidising a poorly run airport that nobody wants to use offering flights to nowhere.

It should be closed down and the whole site turned over for redevelopment. At least that way we might get some of our money back.

If you close and redevelop the site, it will jeopardise the BA maintenance centre which employs over a 1,000 on good coin.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 14:27 - Jan 12 with 1405 viewsSandanista

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 08:06 - Jan 12 by Dr_Winston

Location is not great unless you drive. But management is the bigger issue. If you create a good market then you can do OK-Pre=pandemic Bristol handled over 8 million passengers per year. Cardiff 1.6. Yet Liverpool handled over 5 million despite having Manchester Airport 45 mins away. Leeds similar and again more or less an hour to Manchester. Leeds has Jet2 of course, EasyJet and Ryanair have increased using Liverpool for shorter hops like Dublin, Amsterdam, Belfast and Berlin as easier for passengers and the airport is selling itself on this. Cardiff (my wife tells me as last time I flew from there was 1980) has poor facilities. Liverpool has about 5 sit down eateries plus Starbucks, Burger King, Upper Crust along with Boors. WH Smith, JD Sports, Duty Free, Souvenir Shop etc.

I'm sure it could be managed far more effectively
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 16:39 - Jan 12 with 1378 viewsSullutaCreturned

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 14:27 - Jan 12 by Sandanista

Location is not great unless you drive. But management is the bigger issue. If you create a good market then you can do OK-Pre=pandemic Bristol handled over 8 million passengers per year. Cardiff 1.6. Yet Liverpool handled over 5 million despite having Manchester Airport 45 mins away. Leeds similar and again more or less an hour to Manchester. Leeds has Jet2 of course, EasyJet and Ryanair have increased using Liverpool for shorter hops like Dublin, Amsterdam, Belfast and Berlin as easier for passengers and the airport is selling itself on this. Cardiff (my wife tells me as last time I flew from there was 1980) has poor facilities. Liverpool has about 5 sit down eateries plus Starbucks, Burger King, Upper Crust along with Boors. WH Smith, JD Sports, Duty Free, Souvenir Shop etc.

I'm sure it could be managed far more effectively

They won't improve facilities until they increase trade a lot.

The travelling times up North aren't really relevant because of the popuation size as well. The metro area population of Liverpool is almost one million, Greater Manchester has a population of over 2.8 million, that more than the entirety of Wales never mind just the Southern coast and SE corner. They can sustain more and better airports.
A lot of Welsh people find it easier and better to go across the border, specially those who live in mid Wales and upwards. Even then, a lot of us Southerners find it's better to go to Bristol or even further rather than use Cardiff.

You can be the best manager in the world but you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 06:21 - Jan 13 with 1316 viewsWhiterockin

Ongoing problems for customers with Wizz Air.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64254069
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:21 - Jan 13 with 1243 viewspencoedjack

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 06:21 - Jan 13 by Whiterockin

Ongoing problems for customers with Wizz Air.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64254069

When people get their refunds they will find it minus 15% admin fee unless the opt for it in the form of Wizz air credit.

Incredible
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:26 - Jan 13 with 1237 viewsWhiterockin

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:21 - Jan 13 by pencoedjack

When people get their refunds they will find it minus 15% admin fee unless the opt for it in the form of Wizz air credit.

Incredible

Is this legal they broke the contract?
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:32 - Jan 13 with 1223 viewspencoedjack

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:26 - Jan 13 by Whiterockin

Not sure, just passing on the information from the boys who had a Portugal golf trip cancelled & were advised yesterday.
Login to get fewer ads

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 10:47 - Jan 15 with 1149 viewscontroversial_jack

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 15:26 - Jan 13 by Whiterockin

I had lights cancelled during covid and had a full refund from Easy jet. I don't believe it's legal to charge an admin fee
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 11:27 - Jan 15 with 1137 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 10:47 - Jan 15 by controversial_jack

I had lights cancelled during covid and had a full refund from Easy jet. I don't believe it's legal to charge an admin fee

Correct if they cancel your flight you are entitled to a FULL refund. Just tell them you will take legal action to recover they 15% they have stolen.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 12:57 - Jan 15 with 1116 viewsReslovenSwan1

Cardiff Wales airport is a tremendous facility and is essential. UK supports a whole range of under performing enterprises.

The most high profile is the Royal Family which is deeply dysfunctional and a national embarrassment. I accept the Englih want this institution and I accept their wishes ion this and make my contribution through gritted teeth. It is an English iconic institution.

In return I expect support for Welsh culture and language.

Cardiff Wales Airport is closer to Cardiff than Swansea but not by that much but has two offensive words in its name that puts the back up of Anglophones. Namely "Cardiff"and "Wales". It is currently losing money although not a vast amount (per taxpayer). Three reason our Anglophone friends want to shut it down.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 13:33 - Jan 15 with 1107 viewsWhiterockin

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 12:57 - Jan 15 by ReslovenSwan1

Cardiff Wales airport is a tremendous facility and is essential. UK supports a whole range of under performing enterprises.

The most high profile is the Royal Family which is deeply dysfunctional and a national embarrassment. I accept the Englih want this institution and I accept their wishes ion this and make my contribution through gritted teeth. It is an English iconic institution.

Cardiff Wales Airport is closer to Cardiff than Swansea but not by that much but has two offensive words in its name that puts the back up of Anglophones. Namely "Cardiff"and "Wales". It is currently losing money although not a vast amount (per taxpayer). Three reason our Anglophone friends want to shut it down.

If Cardiff Wales airport is a tremendous facility and is essential. Why do so few people actually use it.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 14:06 - Jan 15 with 1091 viewsraynor94

Not losing a vast amount of money?

£210 million of tax payers money, and counting.

Barely 4 flights a day leave there, its losing money hand over fist

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 17:48 - Jan 15 with 1047 viewsBoundy

Compared to Fairwood facilities then I'd have to agree , if you compare it to Bristols' then you're having a laugh and no its not essential , nice to have but essential no .
Regarding distance I think you'll find its 15 miles from Cardiff and 42 from Swansea . A facility which cost the taxpayer 55 million and now valued at 15 not forgetting the 210 million spent on it which maybe in Resolven isn't deemed an awful lot of money but then again its the taxpayers so who cares , obviously not the sennedd,

the way King Charles sends his love

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 18:23 - Jan 15 with 1027 viewscontroversial_jack

It won't close, as it would be a huge loss of prestige to out Capital city
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 18:29 - Jan 15 with 1026 viewsSullutaCreturned

it's so essential it needs government support to exist, which by the way, if we were still in the EU wouldn't be allowed; State aid is outside their rules.

The Royal Family allegedly makes more money than it costs us, I don't know for sure but I am dubious about that.

It's not angloPHONES it's angloPHILES, if you cannot get the basics right don't expect to gain much credence.

Its 12 miles from Cardiff city hall to the airport, it's 44 miles from Swansea county hall.

Nobody on here finds the words "Wales" or "Cardiff" offensive, that is just the spin you put on it to be derisive towards other posters.

The Senedd bought the airport for 52 million and now it's valued at 15 million, they have ploughed multi millions into it and written off nearly all that debt. 2 years ago it was losing 6 uid for every passenger that used it, not a vast amount of money per person but a big enough sum to make a serious difference to something important in Wales, something that really is essential such as social care provision so that hospital beds could be vacated and utilised properly so there weren't 19 hour queues at Morriston A&E, so that 15 ambulances don't end up parked outside with their engines running causing who knows how much pollution, extra fuel costs and of course, further problems for those patients kept waiting.

The airport is not financially viable and NOT essential when so many Welsh residents prefer to use English airports, even people from Cardiff will travel to England instead because they can actually go where they want to from there.

These diatribes against other Welsh people who disagree with you, it's a bit much isnt it?
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 18:33 - Jan 15 with 1017 viewsWhiterockin

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 18:29 - Jan 15 by SullutaCreturned

it's so essential it needs government support to exist, which by the way, if we were still in the EU wouldn't be allowed; State aid is outside their rules.

The Royal Family allegedly makes more money than it costs us, I don't know for sure but I am dubious about that.

It's not angloPHONES it's angloPHILES, if you cannot get the basics right don't expect to gain much credence.

Its 12 miles from Cardiff city hall to the airport, it's 44 miles from Swansea county hall.

Nobody on here finds the words "Wales" or "Cardiff" offensive, that is just the spin you put on it to be derisive towards other posters.

The Senedd bought the airport for 52 million and now it's valued at 15 million, they have ploughed multi millions into it and written off nearly all that debt. 2 years ago it was losing 6 uid for every passenger that used it, not a vast amount of money per person but a big enough sum to make a serious difference to something important in Wales, something that really is essential such as social care provision so that hospital beds could be vacated and utilised properly so there weren't 19 hour queues at Morriston A&E, so that 15 ambulances don't end up parked outside with their engines running causing who knows how much pollution, extra fuel costs and of course, further problems for those patients kept waiting.

The airport is not financially viable and NOT essential when so many Welsh residents prefer to use English airports, even people from Cardiff will travel to England instead because they can actually go where they want to from there.

These diatribes against other Welsh people who disagree with you, it's a bit much isnt it?

Pretty much spot on.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 06:24 - Jan 16 with 954 viewsWhiterockin

Cardiff Airport was built in the wrong place to attract passengers, the former boss of a low-cost airline has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64274221
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 06:55 - Jan 16 with 932 viewsBryanSwan

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 06:24 - Jan 16 by Whiterockin

Cardiff Airport was built in the wrong place to attract passengers, the former boss of a low-cost airline has said.

Most of his points are about the location and closeness to passengers, this doesn't really make sense when Welsh customers travel further to Bristol or even London airports to fly.
The issue for me and many others i suspect is simply the price, cardif flights are almost always double that of Bristol and often more than that compared to London airports. For families that is a huge difference.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 07:21 - Jan 16 with 924 viewsbuilthjack

Surely people would use it if flight's were available, at the right price ?
It’s within 2 hours of Mid and West Wales, an hour of most of South Wales.
When I have flown from there it has been easy, pleasant.
It needs sorting.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 08:01 - Jan 16 with 917 viewsraynor94

A must read for Resloven.

When you come off the M4 its a 25 minute drive down a country lane made me

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 08:53 - Jan 16 with 890 viewsBoundy

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 08:01 - Jan 16 by raynor94

A must read for Resloven.

When you come off the M4 its a 25 minute drive down a country lane made me

In fairness once you leave the A48 at Bonvilston the journey south towards the airport as improved with the widening of 5 mile lane but as far as I'm aware the journey from the east hasn't and if you cut across from Ewenny than you're a better man than I .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 10:33 - Jan 16 with 867 viewsWhiterockin

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 06:55 - Jan 16 by BryanSwan

Most of his points are about the location and closeness to passengers, this doesn't really make sense when Welsh customers travel further to Bristol or even London airports to fly.
The issue for me and many others i suspect is simply the price, cardif flights are almost always double that of Bristol and often more than that compared to London airports. For families that is a huge difference.

IMO this is correct. I probably fly 4-5 times a year and haven't flown from Cardiff for over 10 years due to choice or lack of it. When you do an online search there are very limited options from Cardiff, they are much more expensive and poor flight times. Last time I looked parking was more expensive as well. Take everything into consideration and there are better options out there. There needs to be a serious management plan put in place for this airport to survive or we will just be throwing good money after bad.
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 13:32 - Jan 16 with 823 viewsTogg

Quote by ex BMI boss. Nobody in their right mind would invest in the airport'. Well the Welsh Government have!
https://simpleflying.com/cardiff-airport-location-criticism/
I looked at Alicante from Cardiff. Then looked at Bristol. Times of flights and costs much better in Bristol.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2023 13:34]
Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 13:42 - Jan 16 with 804 viewsBadgeman

Wizz Air Pull Out of Cardiff Airport on 13:06 - Jan 12 by majorraglan

If you close and redevelop the site, it will jeopardise the BA maintenance centre which employs over a 1,000 on good coin.

This is an often overlooked fact when discussing the airport. If Cardiff airport shuts, those high skilled jobs at BAMC probably go too.

The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is reason.
Poll: Is Huw's position untenable?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024