Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester United (h) Match Thread 12:09 - Jan 13 with 28199 viewsHullDale

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 08:54 - Jan 15 with 4276 viewsfourfourtwo

I get we had a good result playing with 5 at the back, away from home, in difficult conditions, against a decent side.

However we are back to the adage that playing five at the back does not work for us when playing at home. Especially against relegation rivals.

None of our centre backs are capable of playing with the ball at feet, and all this formation does is highlight their obvious deficiencies.

How many hopeless balls did Graham lump to nowhere? Taylor looked incredibly uncomfortable every time he received the ball throughout.

I have absolutely no idea what Bentley was thinking yesterday, changing the keeper was the worst of a series of dreadful decisions.

I understand finances are tight. 15 days into the transfer window, the most crucial in our history arguably, and we’ve not signed an outfield player. That is appalling. We continue to throw points away against all around us when we know full well we need bodies in.

It really does feel like the beginning of the end for me. League Two is bad enough, I don’t think anyone really has the stomach for non league.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 09:52 - Jan 15 with 4089 views442Dale

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 08:54 - Jan 15 by fourfourtwo

I get we had a good result playing with 5 at the back, away from home, in difficult conditions, against a decent side.

However we are back to the adage that playing five at the back does not work for us when playing at home. Especially against relegation rivals.

None of our centre backs are capable of playing with the ball at feet, and all this formation does is highlight their obvious deficiencies.

How many hopeless balls did Graham lump to nowhere? Taylor looked incredibly uncomfortable every time he received the ball throughout.

I have absolutely no idea what Bentley was thinking yesterday, changing the keeper was the worst of a series of dreadful decisions.

I understand finances are tight. 15 days into the transfer window, the most crucial in our history arguably, and we’ve not signed an outfield player. That is appalling. We continue to throw points away against all around us when we know full well we need bodies in.

It really does feel like the beginning of the end for me. League Two is bad enough, I don’t think anyone really has the stomach for non league.

To get to halfway through the window with no outfield additions (they’d better not count Lloyd who was already here) is a worry. Yes, there’s time left and sometimes these things can drag on but it’s meant we’ve played four games without the much needed incomings.

We’d obviously done work to ensure some of the loanees returned, so that freed up space and some wages. Unfortunately you can’t get back time and it is vital that something happens before Hartlepool though.

Mistakes have been made all season long both on and off the pitch. This has to be acknowledged with more time spent on the here and now rather than reflecting on the past - those at the club can only control their own actions, deflection is both obvious and unhelpful in our current position.

Non-league could be in our future, that has to be accepted and everything done to avoid it. Initially that requires bringing in a couple of players. Then if it does happen there needs to be a clear plan communicated to everyone about how we cope with it. Both those require some fight, again on and off the pitch. Everyone is in this together and the only way we get through it is for people to step up, acknowledge where they can do better, and look to do just that.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 09:53 - Jan 15 with 4091 viewsNorthernDale

I was also shocked that O'Donnell was dropped. One thing I will say since the introduction of Lloyd, is helping Rodney and Hendo to make an semi-effective partnership up front, all we need another three or four players in the Lloyd mould. I think playing Henderson and Rodney also shows that playing two big players does not work.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 10:01 - Jan 15 with 4064 viewskel

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 08:54 - Jan 15 by fourfourtwo

As pissed off as I am with virtually everything at the club at the moment, I’ve certainly got the stomach for it. If it happens it happens, but I would like to see a bit of fight to try to prevent it. This group of players don’t have that fight which is what I think will be our downfall.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 10:06 - Jan 15 with 4052 viewsHullDale

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 10:01 - Jan 15 by kel

As pissed off as I am with virtually everything at the club at the moment, I’ve certainly got the stomach for it. If it happens it happens, but I would like to see a bit of fight to try to prevent it. This group of players don’t have that fight which is what I think will be our downfall.

Summed up by one of our players liking a tweet this morning that says:

"All the fans ask for is grit and determination from every player yesterday it looked like some couldn’t be bothered..."
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 10:31 - Jan 15 with 3930 viewsRippDale

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 10:06 - Jan 15 by HullDale

Summed up by one of our players liking a tweet this morning that says:

"All the fans ask for is grit and determination from every player yesterday it looked like some couldn’t be bothered..."

We are sleepwalking our way to relegation. The fight to save the club looks to have taken it's toll, the board can't understand the fans pessimism despite the blaringly obvious worse Dale team in decades. There seems to be more desire for a new training ground than the desperate need for new signings. I want us to at least go down trying rather than our usual passive approach of no urgency.

The teams that get relegated are usually those that have the off pitch issues, so we have Bottom to thank for that. Don't let him have the last laugh and somehow get some players signed to get us out of his mess
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 10:41 - Jan 15 with 3897 views442Dale

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 10:31 - Jan 15 by RippDale

We are sleepwalking our way to relegation. The fight to save the club looks to have taken it's toll, the board can't understand the fans pessimism despite the blaringly obvious worse Dale team in decades. There seems to be more desire for a new training ground than the desperate need for new signings. I want us to at least go down trying rather than our usual passive approach of no urgency.

The teams that get relegated are usually those that have the off pitch issues, so we have Bottom to thank for that. Don't let him have the last laugh and somehow get some players signed to get us out of his mess

Would like to think that the board understand any pessimism amongst fans. Even those supporters who don’t go to extremes after a bad result could have that feeling at the moment for a variety of reasons, all valid based on what we’re seeing.

To dismiss it would be a bit disrespectful to a fan base that is still sticking with the team - there have been times in the past where the crowd has turned on the team more than now. There’s so much willingness to look past the lack of quality to try and urge them on to get results.

One thing though, please can we stop going on about previous regimes? It has little to do with our current situation and to spend any time whatsoever concentrating on that wastes time dealing with where we are now.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 11:43 - Jan 15 with 3683 viewsTVOS1907

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 08:37 - Jan 15 by HullDale

I'm still gutted after yesterday. I was confident of a win, which would've given us 8 from 12 and meant Hartlepool was a 'must not lose'. Instead its 5 from 12 and next week is a huge 'must win'. A team that has 8 from 12 and is 21st may be a more attractive prospect to signings than a team with 5 from 12, is 22nd, & that goes rock bottom if games in hand are won.

I feel a little for Eastwood... it was an absolute howler and he was visibly gutted... its amazing how much that one mistake has changed the narrative on him though. Before that he was commanding his box, communicating, quick off his line and catching / clearing balls into the box that previously we have struggled to deal with. Barring the howler and a couple of miskicked distributions, I thought he had a decent game.

I get Seriki was an enforced change after failing a late fitness test, but the other changes are a bit confusing. It screams of EBJ not wanting to drop Taylor after a good game and the fan reaction, so shoehorned him in on the left of a back 3 rather than sticking with John there. Round pegs in round holes. Is there such a thing as a heading coach? If there is, EEL needs to go and see one... even in relatively pressure free situations when he heads it its as if its bouncing off a 50p and could go anywhere. Consistently heading the ball into the centre of the pitch when we know we are soft there just creates us more problems.

Yesterday is the first result that lies solely at the feet of EBJ... personnel wise & tactically we were found wanting over the 90 minutes. We need a reaction from him next week in the same way we've called for one from the players.

Finally - where is Brierley? We lose so much creativity when Kelly goes off - Brierley would be the obvious sub there.

That's a fair point about Eastwood.

I'd also like to hear the reasoning behind picking him ahead of O'Donnell. I understand the club media team shying away from such a question, but the bulk of EBJ's interview yesterday was conducted by Peter Slater from Radio Bolton, so I don't understand why he didn't raise it.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 12:39 - Jan 15 with 3468 views49thseason

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 11:43 - Jan 15 by TVOS1907

That's a fair point about Eastwood.

I'd also like to hear the reasoning behind picking him ahead of O'Donnell. I understand the club media team shying away from such a question, but the bulk of EBJ's interview yesterday was conducted by Peter Slater from Radio Bolton, so I don't understand why he didn't raise it.

Maybe the ground rules for the interview were set out at the start and O'Donnell was deemed off-limits. All of which makes the situation seem stanger than a simple injury or loss of form situation, particularly as he had done OK at Bradford...
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 12:45 - Jan 15 with 3448 viewsHullDale

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 12:39 - Jan 15 by 49thseason

Maybe the ground rules for the interview were set out at the start and O'Donnell was deemed off-limits. All of which makes the situation seem stanger than a simple injury or loss of form situation, particularly as he had done OK at Bradford...

If we have a manager that is closed to or vetting questions, and a boardroom that feels closed to feedback & suggestions, we are in big trouble.

As a fan owned club that appears to be transitioning to being 'fan led' instead, transparency and open communication is a non-negotiable. The pitch situation over the last two weeks is a great example of improvements in this area - sadly everywhere else it seems to be regressing.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 12:59 - Jan 15 with 3401 viewsjonahwhereru

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 22:35 - Jan 14 by RooleyMoorBlue

Starting with Ohno meant we would create nothing until he was replaced. In nearly 70 games he has zero assists and shouldn't even get on the bench. He has stolen a wage for months and should be paid off immediately to free up a space in the squad.
The only players who were capable of winning us the game, Hendo and Lloyd were taken off. Colchester deserved their win, they were more physical, worked harder and played to their strengths better than we did.
Another paltry number of attempts on goal at home and a lack of desire going forward. Two halves which were chalk and cheese performance wise. Pitiful!

Let’s be clear About it Odoh was given a contract to be a professional footballer by RAFC, that requires him to turn up on time and train, represent the the club and be available for selection if chosen by a manager. One signed him and two others have selected him to play. He rarely is injured and never uses injury as an excuse to slum it. That does not translate to stealing wages. Unless you are saying he has been rifling the petty cash in the office.

No more talk of players stealing a wage please. A player may be poor or not worth the shirt, and if so just make that sort of comment.

Gutted by the result and how it came about yesterday. I am having to use some old coping mechanisms to prevent Dale’s plight taking over my life atm.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 13:07 - Jan 15 with 3387 viewsHullDale

For all the criticism of Eastwood, lets break this down.

- Quigley puts their keeper under zero pressure
- Taylor heads it back into the middle of the pitch (arguable our weakest area)
- Kelly ducks out of a header
- EEL under zero pressure heads it to the same blade of grass that Taylor did
- Kelly misses a header
- Taylor is outmuscled and backs out
- Keohane missed his man / runner
- Kelly / Ball stand off their forward & give him time to tee it up, same as the first
- Nobody closes down or gets a block in
- Howler from the keeper

10 (ten!) potential opportunities to prevent their winner. Pick the bones out of that.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2023 13:22]
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 13:23 - Jan 15 with 3342 viewsEllDale

Perhaps we’re back to selection/substitutions again?
Taylor hasn’t played a competitive game since the autumn unless you count the odd Central League midweek game.
He plays on Tuesday at Bradford as Graham is absent and the decision has been made to play three at the back.
Graham returns yesterday but then is subbed in the second half. Was he injured? If it was tactical then why not bring off Taylor after virtually two games on heavy pitches with no real match fitness?
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 13:56 - Jan 15 with 3233 viewsJames1980

In his post match interview Bentley references the team selection and accepts responsibility for that. Not sure what else he could have said.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 14:07 - Jan 15 with 3191 viewsHullDale

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 13:56 - Jan 15 by James1980

In his post match interview Bentley references the team selection and accepts responsibility for that. Not sure what else he could have said.

He answered the questions asked of him.

A stronger interviewer might've asked "RoD has been an ever present so far this season, and for a period was your captain. If its not an injury, what's the logic in putting him on the bench today?"

or "Max Taylor has not featured at all this season, but then by all accounts had a great game on Tuesday. What is the thinking behind moving him to the other side of defence on his weaker foot, instead of continuing with Cameron John on his natural side?"

If the press / media team aren't asking these questions, I think fans will at the forum in February.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 14:15 - Jan 15 with 3156 viewsD_Alien

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 14:07 - Jan 15 by HullDale

He answered the questions asked of him.

A stronger interviewer might've asked "RoD has been an ever present so far this season, and for a period was your captain. If its not an injury, what's the logic in putting him on the bench today?"

or "Max Taylor has not featured at all this season, but then by all accounts had a great game on Tuesday. What is the thinking behind moving him to the other side of defence on his weaker foot, instead of continuing with Cameron John on his natural side?"

If the press / media team aren't asking these questions, I think fans will at the forum in February.

That depends what happens between now and February. But for that error by Eastwood yesterday, none of these questions would be of much interest

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 14:35 - Jan 15 with 3079 viewsrich_dale

It's never great when the team is announced and it's unclear how they are going to line up. I assumed EEL would take the left sided CB slot in John's absence as he's played on that side of the defence regularly this season. Doubly frustrating that the team was unnecessarily changed after a good performance, for a crucial game against a relegation rival. Talk about making things more difficult and creating unneeded issues.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 15:53 - Jan 15 with 2905 viewsJames1980

The questions could have been more probing I agree. I don't think the self flagellation and public berating of the players it seems that some fans are calling for is necessary though.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 20:08 - Jan 15 with 2405 viewspioneer

As TVOS says fans would be interested to know his reasoning for the decision for what could be the mostly costly selection mistake in the clubs long history.

Responsibility is a given….he is the manager, no one else picks the team.

I hate to think what this decision and the outcome have done to both goalies heads.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 21:00 - Jan 15 with 2273 viewsShun

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 20:08 - Jan 15 by pioneer

As TVOS says fans would be interested to know his reasoning for the decision for what could be the mostly costly selection mistake in the clubs long history.

Responsibility is a given….he is the manager, no one else picks the team.

I hate to think what this decision and the outcome have done to both goalies heads.

I do think a lot more is being made of the decision to switch keepers than is needed. O’Donnell’s been poor and made quite a few mistakes that’ve cost us goals this season. He deserved to be dropped. Although dropping him just a day or two after his replacement arrives probably isn’t the wisest decision, let’s not act like it’s the worst thing we’ve seen this season.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 08:56 - Jan 16 with 1868 viewsBainesy15

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 21:00 - Jan 15 by Shun

I do think a lot more is being made of the decision to switch keepers than is needed. O’Donnell’s been poor and made quite a few mistakes that’ve cost us goals this season. He deserved to be dropped. Although dropping him just a day or two after his replacement arrives probably isn’t the wisest decision, let’s not act like it’s the worst thing we’ve seen this season.

I have to agree with this. O'Donnell has played 95% of matches this season with basically no challenge to his position. He's been poor of late, so EBJ made a change - Eastwood had a good game and was one of our better players (especially 2nd half, as we were abysmal...) then drops a clanger, not helped by the pitch as the ball hits a huge wet patch and stops dead instead of bouncing into his arms as anticipated.

If that doesn't happen, the keeper change isn't a talking point as Eastwood looked solid, coming for crosses and dominating his box.

As others have said, it's interesting to see what happens from here. Will ROD see this as a drive to cement his place or will he take it as a kick in the teeth?
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 13:29 - Jan 16 with 1420 viewskrafty80

I would be the first to admit my eyesight isn't the best, but from my view behind the goal in the Sandy, I thought Eastwood made an error on the first goal too? It was a great hit by their lad, but Jake appeared to me and others nearby to get the fingers of both hands on the ball, and the shot bursts through them. If a keeper gets both hands on the ball, surely it shouldn't go in? His body language after the goal suggested he thought it was an error.

While I concur that he did a good job coming for crosses and commanding his area, I remember being concerned about his confidence when he shanked two kicks straight out of play during the second half before the error for their second goal. I'm glad EBJ acknowledged some responsibility for the decisions he made on selection, but he didn't even utter the word 'goalkeeper' so it was pretty mealy mouthed.

I admit that as an exile fan I've not seen many of ROD's recent performances in real time, but it still looks like a huge clanger by the gaffer.

I also agree with those concerned by the fact that this was not raised in the post match interview. It absolutely should have been, whether this interview was conducted by a BBC Radio Bolton person or by our in-house team.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 13:42 - Jan 16 with 1372 viewsZac_B

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 13:29 - Jan 16 by krafty80

I would be the first to admit my eyesight isn't the best, but from my view behind the goal in the Sandy, I thought Eastwood made an error on the first goal too? It was a great hit by their lad, but Jake appeared to me and others nearby to get the fingers of both hands on the ball, and the shot bursts through them. If a keeper gets both hands on the ball, surely it shouldn't go in? His body language after the goal suggested he thought it was an error.

While I concur that he did a good job coming for crosses and commanding his area, I remember being concerned about his confidence when he shanked two kicks straight out of play during the second half before the error for their second goal. I'm glad EBJ acknowledged some responsibility for the decisions he made on selection, but he didn't even utter the word 'goalkeeper' so it was pretty mealy mouthed.

I admit that as an exile fan I've not seen many of ROD's recent performances in real time, but it still looks like a huge clanger by the gaffer.

I also agree with those concerned by the fact that this was not raised in the post match interview. It absolutely should have been, whether this interview was conducted by a BBC Radio Bolton person or by our in-house team.

I thought your suggestion was crazy at first...but now looking at the first goal again a couple of times, you may have a point.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 13:51 - Jan 16 with 1340 viewsD_Alien

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 13:42 - Jan 16 by Zac_B

I thought your suggestion was crazy at first...but now looking at the first goal again a couple of times, you may have a point.

I take the opposite view

Like Krafty, from the Sandy there was a definite brush of the hands and Eastwood looked like he thought he might've done better, but on watching the tv packages i think that'd be incredibly harsh

Talking of tv, the mistake made by Lloris for Arsenal's first was worse than Colchester's winner

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 14:22 - Jan 16 with 1254 viewsZac_B

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 13:51 - Jan 16 by D_Alien

I take the opposite view

Like Krafty, from the Sandy there was a definite brush of the hands and Eastwood looked like he thought he might've done better, but on watching the tv packages i think that'd be incredibly harsh

Talking of tv, the mistake made by Lloris for Arsenal's first was worse than Colchester's winner

As an ex goalkeeper I have to say...I definitely would have conceded that goal and I am being harsh!

I also would have conceded the second too, ha ha
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024