Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester United (h) Match Thread 12:09 - Jan 13 with 28197 viewsHullDale

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 18:34 - Jan 14 with 3776 viewsHopwoodblue

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 18:29 - Jan 14 by James1980

Take it with a pinch of salt he wasn't going to blame himself or the players was he? What a manager really thinks will be aired in the dressing room.

I’m asking him to accept responsibility for the decisions he makes.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 19:40]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 18:36 - Jan 14 with 3760 viewsmikehunt

I don’t think we need to be too despondent about that game. We had a point in our pocket but you can’t legislate for howlers like that. This wasn’t a particularly bad performance. I count it as a draw and another step on the steady improvement we have shown of late.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 18:36 - Jan 14 with 3757 viewsTomRAFC

I know EBJ didn't build the squad, and I completely appreciate that there was going to have to be some rotation after Tuesday, and *insert any other qualifying statements you think fair*, but if I hear the phrase "the odd goal" again I'm going to have a tantrum of toddler proportions. The phrase makes conceding sound like such a minor thing. We're losing to frequent and avoidable goals.

We perked up after the subs but didn't take our chances. I didn't see their second goal properly, which probably says just how little threat the shot should have been. It wasn't a great performance by either side.

With repeated references to a tight budget, I trust EBJ hasn't prioritised wages for a second keeper above those of an outfield player.

I don't agree with the suggestion that we're doomed, we're not even in the relegation zone, but it's bloody precarious.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 18:38]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 18:47 - Jan 14 with 3652 views442Dale

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 18:25 - Jan 14 by Hopwoodblue

It’s shocking that he’s blaming the pitch, he needs to step up and take responsibility for changing the keeper. It’s the first time I’ve thought it but after listening to that interview I not sure these are the right people in the dugout to take this club forward.
It’s a complete error by him for changing the keeper he needs to hold his hands up and not blame the pitch for the ball not bouncing.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 18:27]

It’s that he wasn’t asked the reasoning behind making the change in goal that irritates. It doesn’t come under “freshening up”, it’s a big call that needs explaining.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 18:58 - Jan 14 with 3531 viewsCedar_Room

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 18:29 - Jan 14 by James1980

Take it with a pinch of salt he wasn't going to blame himself or the players was he? What a manager really thinks will be aired in the dressing room.

He’s been quite forthcoming in the past when discussing mistakes that players have made. If he’s the one who has made the mistake he should have the ‘stones’ to front up about it.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 19:25 - Jan 14 with 3349 viewsnordenblue

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 18:36 - Jan 14 by mikehunt

I don’t think we need to be too despondent about that game. We had a point in our pocket but you can’t legislate for howlers like that. This wasn’t a particularly bad performance. I count it as a draw and another step on the steady improvement we have shown of late.

It's nowhere near a draw its a loss, not only a loss but as big a one as we could possibly have suffered to a team immediately in the shite with us..... dress that up how you like it's a MASSIVE loss
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 21:13]
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 19:27 - Jan 14 with 3339 viewsdale_spotland

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 18:36 - Jan 14 by mikehunt

This is ridiculous and exactly the attitude which has led us to where we are.

I’ll let the EFL know you count it as a draw and wait for them to change the league table 👍🏻

Days like this one weren't supposed to happen to Rochdale.

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 19:28 - Jan 14 with 3328 viewsmikehunt

It is a massive loss, points-wise but not performance-wise, is the point I’m trying to make.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Login to get fewer ads

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 19:32 - Jan 14 with 3295 viewsJames1980

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 18:58 - Jan 14 by Cedar_Room

He’s been quite forthcoming in the past when discussing mistakes that players have made. If he’s the one who has made the mistake he should have the ‘stones’ to front up about it.

Has he called out individual players though or admitted his team selections have been wrong?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 19:37 - Jan 14 with 3253 viewsD_Alien

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 19:28 - Jan 14 by mikehunt

It is a massive loss, points-wise but not performance-wise, is the point I’m trying to make.

It was both

After the break, it was back to where we were in December

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 19:41 - Jan 14 with 3224 viewssooty_dale

Our home form continues to be absolutely appalling and after about 4 years of this it's a wonder there are still 2000 home fans turning up. Giving 3 relegation rivals 3 points each at home in a month is so detrimental to our hopes. If we aren't going to win the game, don't lose. We just don't have that mentality in this squad.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 20:00 - Jan 14 with 3071 viewsNorthernDale

I agree with Bentley's frustrations, we can have a good first half, a bad second half and vice versa, and making silly mistakes, which is costing us points and games. I feel the double midfield substitution at the same time, was a mistake, I can understand introducing two new midfield players, but not at the same time.

James Ball chance at the end was shocking, he side footed the ball, rather than hitting with power pass the keeper. I most admit, I was impressed by Colchester's 'no 22', Tchamadeu, he was everything Odoh is not.

We most avoid defeat next week at Hartlepool, whilst hope that Colchester does us a favour in their next two games by beating Gillingham next week and Hartlepool the week after. But we should not be dependent on other results, we need to get results and points by winning games, not throwing games away like today.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 20:43 - Jan 14 with 2829 viewsdingdangblue

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 18:25 - Jan 14 by Hopwoodblue

It’s shocking that he’s blaming the pitch, he needs to step up and take responsibility for changing the keeper. It’s the first time I’ve thought it but after listening to that interview I not sure these are the right people in the dugout to take this club forward.
It’s a complete error by him for changing the keeper he needs to hold his hands up and not blame the pitch for the ball not bouncing.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 18:27]

Not listened to it - can't be bothered. Just seen highlights though and Jim blaming the pitch is a poor do. The ball more or less reaches Eastwood on the volley and then bounces under him. Just poor goalkeeping.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 20:59 - Jan 14 with 2729 viewsdingdangblue

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 18:34 - Jan 14 by Hopwoodblue

I’m asking him to accept responsibility for the decisions he makes.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 19:40]

I have finally listened to it and he does actually say " I accept responsibility for that". (the changes)

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 21:51 - Jan 14 with 2494 views49thseason

The frustration around the ground was palpable, yet again, defeat was snatched from the jaws of a draw, once again we look like a team with no real desire, not enough power or pace and no clear plan. If you wanted to get relegated, this is certainly one way of doing it.

This has now gone way beyond a joke, we picked up an excellent 3 points on Tuesday , so the Manager then shuffles the pack with a new Keeper and an enforced change at right back. Inevitably a keeper with just 34 senior games and just 2 since May 2021 makes a howler of a mistake and we lose by the odd goal yet again. That's 13 times this season so far we have lost by 1 goal. we are crying out for a striker and we get a goalkeeper. unless O'Donnell is carrying an injury or has a family emergency to deal with, or has told the Manager where to get off, there is no justification for such a change.

The problem all season has been an inability to score goals but its the defence and midfield that always gets shuffled, even the forwards he has brought in ,Lloyd and Quigley, are now midfielders or largely benched. It smacks of a shambles.

Has anyone got the first clue as to what Bentleys plan is? Its beginning to feel like the Coleman era. Why did he hook Henderson, can't he play 3 times a week? Can any of them? Hendo on one leg is better than Quigley at the moment. Who was supposed to supply crosses for Quigley? Lloyd was in midfield, White had gone off and OhNo hasn't got a single assist to his name in nearly 70 games., Campbell seems to be being largely ignored, and the pace of Lloyd that could have been devastating on a wet pitch was relegated back into midfield.

Winning just 1 in 4 of home games since May 2017 is shocking and will get you relegated time after time , especially if you can't score goals. 0.62 points per game at home this season. 11 home goals in 13 games, who but idiots like those of us there today would bother? Football is intended to be entertaining, this is just unfunny dross. Campbell, a striker got 6 minutes at the end of the game, Ball (not a footballer) Replaced Henderson (proper footballer) with 20 minutes to go, Diagouraga, Mister Sideways, the slowest player in the EFL replaced Lloyd, the only real pace in our team. If this is why we pay a Manager? Lets not bother and just save the wage and spend it on a forward, Let the board take it in turns to pick the team, it could hardly be worse.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 21:52]
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 22:01 - Jan 14 with 2432 viewsNewbury_Dale

I don't recall seeing O'Donnell do anything wrong against Bradford?
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 22:07 - Jan 14 with 2391 views442Dale

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 22:01 - Jan 14 by Newbury_Dale

I don't recall seeing O'Donnell do anything wrong against Bradford?

That’s it. If Eastwood had come in on Jan 1st and played at Barrow after the Hartlepool and Doncaster games, then it would have been an understandable decision.

Leaving out an experienced keeper after a three game unbeaten run is strange to say the least.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 22:35 - Jan 14 with 2294 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Starting with Ohno meant we would create nothing until he was replaced. In nearly 70 games he has zero assists and shouldn't even get on the bench. He has stolen a wage for months and should be paid off immediately to free up a space in the squad.
The only players who were capable of winning us the game, Hendo and Lloyd were taken off. Colchester deserved their win, they were more physical, worked harder and played to their strengths better than we did.
Another paltry number of attempts on goal at home and a lack of desire going forward. Two halves which were chalk and cheese performance wise. Pitiful!
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 22:48 - Jan 14 with 2249 viewsEllDale

It was almost like slow motion watching that late Colchester goal from the Sandy.
There was an air of disbelief as it crept in and a hell of lot people just turned and went for the exits.
I know it’s easy with hindsight but I was surprised when Eastwood started. I get that we needed backup in the position but I don’t remember him covering himself in glory in his last appearance at Spotland in the Bristol Rovers game last April.
The last thing we need now is chopping and changing at goalkeeper as we had last season with Lynch and Coleman.
Dale played some pretty decent stuff in the first half. Their goal was unstoppable but the background included a sloppy freekick conceded and an inability to win the header when the ball went into the box.
Akinde doesn’t improve with age does he by the way?
He managed to kick Eastwood twice quite needlessly in the first half without a card being shown.
The game was quite physical and feisty. I feared a Dale card when their player went down midway through the first half and was writhing round on the floor.
If the first half was ok the first part of the second period was diabolical. So many slack passes and lost possession.
As for the subs I thought the biggest loss was White when he got clattered. If I was a cynic I might ponder that that might have been retribution for a foul committed by White only minutes beforehand. I hope he’s ok but I not sure what the protocols are regarding concussion these days.
And perhaps Lloyd was knackered after three games in a week after such a long injury lay-off.
And as for the man of the match….let’s just say that Odoh wouldn’t have been my choice.
I thought EEL, Lloyd or perhaps Kelly had a far greater claim for the award.
As the game panned out, and after Ball’s miss, perhaps I would have settled for a point.
The fact remains that since the start of December Dale have lost at home to three other clubs in the relegation dogfight, results which could be crucial in the final analysis.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 22:53 - Jan 14 with 2212 viewsD_Alien

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 22:35 - Jan 14 by RooleyMoorBlue

Starting with Ohno meant we would create nothing until he was replaced. In nearly 70 games he has zero assists and shouldn't even get on the bench. He has stolen a wage for months and should be paid off immediately to free up a space in the squad.
The only players who were capable of winning us the game, Hendo and Lloyd were taken off. Colchester deserved their win, they were more physical, worked harder and played to their strengths better than we did.
Another paltry number of attempts on goal at home and a lack of desire going forward. Two halves which were chalk and cheese performance wise. Pitiful!

Odoh was playing wing back with defensive duties, which he carried out quite well. As a replacement for Seriki he did provide some impetus too, and especially with White on the other wing we looked quite well organised first half, winning balls in midfield and looking to get on the front foot

I've no idea what happened at half time, but it was like Doncaster all over again. Then White got injured (hope it's nothing that'll keep him out - concussion?). Even so, it took a howler to break the deadlock but there was only going to be one team likely to do it. Lloyd disappeared, and may have hit a wall after his initial burst of action on return from a long layoff - at least i hope that's what it was

We all know that Odoh doesn't create chances but he played his role well today and it's unfair to lay into him when that second half was full of substandard performances

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 23:00 - Jan 14 with 2173 viewsIOMDale

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 22:53 - Jan 14 by D_Alien

Odoh was playing wing back with defensive duties, which he carried out quite well. As a replacement for Seriki he did provide some impetus too, and especially with White on the other wing we looked quite well organised first half, winning balls in midfield and looking to get on the front foot

I've no idea what happened at half time, but it was like Doncaster all over again. Then White got injured (hope it's nothing that'll keep him out - concussion?). Even so, it took a howler to break the deadlock but there was only going to be one team likely to do it. Lloyd disappeared, and may have hit a wall after his initial burst of action on return from a long layoff - at least i hope that's what it was

We all know that Odoh doesn't create chances but he played his role well today and it's unfair to lay into him when that second half was full of substandard performances

They’re substandard for your average squad of League Two players but given the evidence of this past year, I’d say they’re playing par. Without additions (two of which NEED to be midfielders), we’re down, make no mistake.

UTDNFS

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 23:54 - Jan 14 with 2006 viewsMass_Debater

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 22:48 - Jan 14 by EllDale

It was almost like slow motion watching that late Colchester goal from the Sandy.
There was an air of disbelief as it crept in and a hell of lot people just turned and went for the exits.
I know it’s easy with hindsight but I was surprised when Eastwood started. I get that we needed backup in the position but I don’t remember him covering himself in glory in his last appearance at Spotland in the Bristol Rovers game last April.
The last thing we need now is chopping and changing at goalkeeper as we had last season with Lynch and Coleman.
Dale played some pretty decent stuff in the first half. Their goal was unstoppable but the background included a sloppy freekick conceded and an inability to win the header when the ball went into the box.
Akinde doesn’t improve with age does he by the way?
He managed to kick Eastwood twice quite needlessly in the first half without a card being shown.
The game was quite physical and feisty. I feared a Dale card when their player went down midway through the first half and was writhing round on the floor.
If the first half was ok the first part of the second period was diabolical. So many slack passes and lost possession.
As for the subs I thought the biggest loss was White when he got clattered. If I was a cynic I might ponder that that might have been retribution for a foul committed by White only minutes beforehand. I hope he’s ok but I not sure what the protocols are regarding concussion these days.
And perhaps Lloyd was knackered after three games in a week after such a long injury lay-off.
And as for the man of the match….let’s just say that Odoh wouldn’t have been my choice.
I thought EEL, Lloyd or perhaps Kelly had a far greater claim for the award.
As the game panned out, and after Ball’s miss, perhaps I would have settled for a point.
The fact remains that since the start of December Dale have lost at home to three other clubs in the relegation dogfight, results which could be crucial in the final analysis.

If we had an Akinde we probably wouldn't be where we are.
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 00:30 - Jan 15 with 1906 viewsbluevein64

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 20:00 - Jan 14 by NorthernDale

I agree with Bentley's frustrations, we can have a good first half, a bad second half and vice versa, and making silly mistakes, which is costing us points and games. I feel the double midfield substitution at the same time, was a mistake, I can understand introducing two new midfield players, but not at the same time.

James Ball chance at the end was shocking, he side footed the ball, rather than hitting with power pass the keeper. I most admit, I was impressed by Colchester's 'no 22', Tchamadeu, he was everything Odoh is not.

We most avoid defeat next week at Hartlepool, whilst hope that Colchester does us a favour in their next two games by beating Gillingham next week and Hartlepool the week after. But we should not be dependent on other results, we need to get results and points by winning games, not throwing games away like today.

I'm just tagging onto your post Northern - I've noticed that James Ball doesn't have a power pass/shot in his armoury, his striking of the ball is "powder puff" and he knows it therefore, he attempts to mask the fact that his shots are weak by "Side footing " and/or placing the ball towards goal when/if he has the oppertunity of a shoot !
Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 01:27 - Jan 15 with 1801 viewsSandyman

Colchester United (h) Match Thread on 08:37 - Jan 15 with 1557 viewsHullDale

I'm still gutted after yesterday. I was confident of a win, which would've given us 8 from 12 and meant Hartlepool was a 'must not lose'. Instead its 5 from 12 and next week is a huge 'must win'. A team that has 8 from 12 and is 21st may be a more attractive prospect to signings than a team with 5 from 12, is 22nd, & that goes rock bottom if games in hand are won.

I feel a little for Eastwood... it was an absolute howler and he was visibly gutted... its amazing how much that one mistake has changed the narrative on him though. Before that he was commanding his box, communicating, quick off his line and catching / clearing balls into the box that previously we have struggled to deal with. Barring the howler and a couple of miskicked distributions, I thought he had a decent game.

I get Seriki was an enforced change after failing a late fitness test, but the other changes are a bit confusing. It screams of EBJ not wanting to drop Taylor after a good game and the fan reaction, so shoehorned him in on the left of a back 3 rather than sticking with John there. Round pegs in round holes. Is there such a thing as a heading coach? If there is, EEL needs to go and see one... even in relatively pressure free situations when he heads it its as if its bouncing off a 50p and could go anywhere. Consistently heading the ball into the centre of the pitch when we know we are soft there just creates us more problems.

Yesterday is the first result that lies solely at the feet of EBJ... personnel wise & tactically we were found wanting over the 90 minutes. We need a reaction from him next week in the same way we've called for one from the players.

Finally - where is Brierley? We lose so much creativity when Kelly goes off - Brierley would be the obvious sub there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024