Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 16:02 - Mar 25 with 18262 viewsozranger

Came off the bench with over 30 to go against Cyprus today when Adams went down. Played well and gave a good assist for the second goal. Worked well with his teammates. Many touches and strength quite decent and hopefully he can get back to full playing. With the same quality around him - Chair and Willock - I feel a lot more confident about our near future.

Pretty sure, unless Adams makes a good recovery, he will start against Spain on Tuesday evening.
Dykes on 09:08 - Mar 29 with 2673 viewsdaveB

for anyone to call Dykes our worst ever striker when we'd have this collection in recent years is mental

Pellicori
Adam Czerkas
Dean Sturridge
Dean Coney
Steve Slade
Lee Charles
DJ Campbell
Jay Bothroyd
Macauley Bonne
Troy Hewitt
Rob Hulse
Federico Macheda
Tamas Priskin
Marcus Bent
Ben Sahar
Daniel Nardiello
Leon Clarke
Sammy Youssouf
Stefan Moore

I could go on, Dykes isn't even in the bottom 50 worst strikers we've ever had
Dykes on 09:29 - Mar 29 with 2577 viewsTelford_QPR

I was up for the Cyprus game on Saturday (unfortunately not last night though) and one thing that struck me was positivity towards him from crowd when he came on as sub and a feeling he would make an impact (which he did).

Also, I have also thought of him as a forward player as opposed to a striker. Hopefully he can bring confidence from last 2 Scotland games back for Saturday.
Dykes on 09:51 - Mar 29 with 2514 viewsTheChef

Dykes on 09:08 - Mar 29 by daveB

for anyone to call Dykes our worst ever striker when we'd have this collection in recent years is mental

Pellicori
Adam Czerkas
Dean Sturridge
Dean Coney
Steve Slade
Lee Charles
DJ Campbell
Jay Bothroyd
Macauley Bonne
Troy Hewitt
Rob Hulse
Federico Macheda
Tamas Priskin
Marcus Bent
Ben Sahar
Daniel Nardiello
Leon Clarke
Sammy Youssouf
Stefan Moore

Mike Sheron the worst for me - based on amount spent and goals scored!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Dykes on 09:55 - Mar 29 with 2499 viewsRs_Holy

Pellicori
Adam Czerkas
Dean Sturridge
Dean Coney
Steve Slade
Lee Charles
DJ Campbell
Jay Bothroyd
Macauley Bonne
Troy Hewitt
Rob Hulse
Federico Macheda
Tamas Priskin
Marcus Bent
Ben Sahar
Daniel Nardiello
Leon Clarke
Sammy Youssouf
Stefan Moore

agree Dave ... although Dykes is not a natural goal scorer (and misses chances my mother in law could score) he does put in a shift and we look a better team when he plays.
Dykes on 10:17 - Mar 29 with 2469 viewsLoyalitat

Dykes on 09:29 - Mar 29 by Telford_QPR

I was up for the Cyprus game on Saturday (unfortunately not last night though) and one thing that struck me was positivity towards him from crowd when he came on as sub and a feeling he would make an impact (which he did).

Also, I have also thought of him as a forward player as opposed to a striker. Hopefully he can bring confidence from last 2 Scotland games back for Saturday.

Forward player v striker.

Forward players for mine primarily create and score a sufficient amount of goals a la Chair/Willock. That isn't Dykes. Therefore he must be a striker.
However, there is a striker in this division whose game straddles both terms; and that's Gyokeres at Coventry. The best forward I've seen in this division this season with his work rate/shift, excellent first touch, link-up play, ability to create for others and for himself, and score on a regular basis.
Well done to Coventry City for developing him into the monster of a player he has now become. Hopefully, he has a bad game at Loftus Road in just over a few weeks time.

Well played in the last few games Lyndon.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2023 13:43]
Dykes on 10:18 - Mar 29 with 2468 viewsPaddyhoops

Dykes on 08:44 - Mar 29 by connell10

I didnt watch the game and i dont know how Spain play these days , but they used to bore the tits off me with their passing for passing sake crap! So for that reason im glad the sweatys won!

Rodri’s comments after the game were pretty graceless in relation to Scotland’s style of play.
Suck it up mate.
On Dykes , his turn of pace for that big chance before half time surprised me.
Dykes on 10:25 - Mar 29 with 2459 viewshubble

Clearly the RFI poll has done its job of firing Dykes back to his best form, and that was the secret intention. Knowing that he is an avid reader of the forum (we're still waiting for his first post to find out whether he prefers Stokes Point or Grabetto), it was inevitable this result would jump-start those tattooed limbs. No one seriously thinks he's the worst ever QPR striker. And no one in their right mind would think you could ever specify who is!!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Dykes on 10:25 - Mar 29 with 2461 viewsterryb

Pellicori
Adam Czerkas
Dean Sturridge
Dean Coney
Steve Slade
Lee Charles
DJ Campbell
Jay Bothroyd
Macauley Bonne
Troy Hewitt
Rob Hulse
Federico Macheda
Tamas Priskin
Marcus Bent
Ben Sahar
Daniel Nardiello
Leon Clarke
Sammy Youssouf
Stefan Moore

I'm not sure Dave, that loanees should be included in this category, but we've certainly had some dross loaned to us in the past 20 years! Priskin being the worst IMO.

Without knowing anything about him, I was quite excited about the signing of Adam Czerkas, but he peaked in his first game (away to Burnley*) & got worse in each subsequent match. He is possably the worst of "our" players on the list & that Rob Hulse was a better player for us. However, there is something about Mr Hulse that would always win my vote!

I definitely agree with you that to mention Lyndon Dykes in the same conversation as these players (and others) is an insult to the player & our intelligence!

* Yes, he wasn't good at Burnley, but IMO he was our only player that day that could have come close to a rating of 5.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2023 10:33]
Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 10:47 - Mar 29 with 2394 viewsLblock

Pellicori
Adam Czerkas
Dean Sturridge
Dean Coney
Steve Slade
Lee Charles
DJ Campbell
Jay Bothroyd
Macauley Bonne
Troy Hewitt
Rob Hulse
Federico Macheda
Tamas Priskin
Marcus Bent
Ben Sahar
Daniel Nardiello
Leon Clarke
Sammy Youssouf
Stefan Moore

Christ on a bike that is some list and you've not included others like Hateley, Gary Thompson, Connor Washoutington etc.

The club really have pissed away fortunes into the pockets of some awful players.

The one that jumps out at me is Dean Sturridge.
I've erased him from my brain.
How can you sign a player with more injuries than Chipp Cobb from the Fast Show with (allegedly) no medical? No idea what Ollie and the Board were thinking with that one.

The comparison of Dykes to Colin Clarke is a good one.
Both limited strikers but give 100% and knit play together well - both as clinical in front of goal as a sewage worker

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Dykes on 13:21 - Mar 29 with 2160 viewsTacticalR

To save going over old ground, here is what I said about Dykes back in January in the preview to the Swansea game:

1. Although Dykes has severe limitations he is better than Washington, who was terrible.
2. To score, Dykes needs everything played in front of him (this is absolutely key).
3. To score, Dykes needs not only gilt-edged chances, but many of them, because he can't take most of the gilt-edged chances he is given.
4. Dykes is not a striker who can create something out of nothing.
5. Dykes doesn't seem that powerful physically, especially given some of the defenders he is up against. He is not a hold-up man.
6. Dykes has done a lot of defending from the front this season (whether that should be his focus is another matter).
7. When Dykes has kept defenders occupied, this has allowed midfielders to score (at least earlier in the season).

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/59394/#post85910

Air hostess clique

Dykes on 13:41 - Mar 29 with 2096 viewsRBlock

Pellicori
Adam Czerkas
Dean Sturridge
Dean Coney
Steve Slade
Lee Charles
DJ Campbell
Jay Bothroyd
Macauley Bonne
Troy Hewitt
Rob Hulse
Federico Macheda
Tamas Priskin
Marcus Bent
Ben Sahar
Daniel Nardiello
Leon Clarke
Sammy Youssouf
Stefan Moore

Surprised Modibo Maiga has avoided this list.
Dykes on 13:50 - Mar 29 with 2079 viewsNorthernr

Dykes on 09:51 - Mar 29 by TheChef

Mike Sheron the worst for me - based on amount spent and goals scored!

Very QPR transfer that one. Overpaid for the bright, shiny, trendy thing based on what hot streak at Stoke that lasted about four months because the manager of the moment told the chairman if he got him he'd get him promoted. Once here, he simply went back to being the 11-12 goal a season striker that he'd been his entire career before that, and was every season thereafter. Meanwhile Clive Mendonca, who'd been a consistent 15+ goal a season striker in a mostly poor Grimsby side but not had the same press, went to Charlton for a third of the money and did get them up.

So Sheron may have been a terrible signing for the reason you said, but it's our fault not his.
Dykes on 13:54 - Mar 29 with 2069 viewsTheChef

Dykes on 13:50 - Mar 29 by Northernr

Very QPR transfer that one. Overpaid for the bright, shiny, trendy thing based on what hot streak at Stoke that lasted about four months because the manager of the moment told the chairman if he got him he'd get him promoted. Once here, he simply went back to being the 11-12 goal a season striker that he'd been his entire career before that, and was every season thereafter. Meanwhile Clive Mendonca, who'd been a consistent 15+ goal a season striker in a mostly poor Grimsby side but not had the same press, went to Charlton for a third of the money and did get them up.

So Sheron may have been a terrible signing for the reason you said, but it's our fault not his.

Oh yeah a huge mistake on our part - and Stoke weren't going to turn down that offer.

Dykes on 13:57 - Mar 29 with 2060 viewsNorthernr

Dykes on 13:54 - Mar 29 by TheChef

Oh yeah a huge mistake on our part - and Stoke weren't going to turn down that offer.

Stoke couldn't believe their luck. It's basically play for play what we did with Washington too.
Dykes on 13:58 - Mar 29 with 2057 viewsTheChef

It's QPR. It's what we do.

Dykes on 14:10 - Mar 29 with 1998 viewsderbyhoop

Dykes on 06:38 - Mar 29 by johnhoop

They must have had a collective memory block on the spectacle of watching Alessandro Pellicori appear in a Rangers shirt.
All the mobility of a Telegraph pole.

Neither could they have seen Brett Angell.
If memory serves, Played alongside Pacquette, who wasnt much better.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dykes on 14:33 - Mar 29 with 1971 viewsdaveB

Dykes on 13:50 - Mar 29 by Northernr

That was at a time as well when we had John Spencer, Kevin Gallen and Trevor Sinclair already in the squad. Not only missed out on Mendonca around then but Kevin Phillips went to Sunderland for a few hundred grand from Watford.

Christ Fulham fans were right last season, we've always been shit haven't we
Dykes on 14:35 - Mar 29 with 1965 viewsdaveB

Dykes on 13:41 - Mar 29 by RBlock

I mean you could easily add another 20/30 to that list

Brett Angell, Eric Sabin, Sammy Koejoe. I'll stop now

Basically all I'm saying is yeah Dykes is a bit crap but we've had much worse
Dykes on 14:37 - Mar 29 with 1957 viewshubble

I never liked Mike Sheron's name. It sounded like something a bird-watcher would say: "Shh - heron".

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Dykes on 14:39 - Mar 29 with 1944 viewsNorthernr

Dykes on 14:33 - Mar 29 by daveB

That was at a time as well when we had John Spencer, Kevin Gallen and Trevor Sinclair already in the squad. Not only missed out on Mendonca around then but Kevin Phillips went to Sunderland for a few hundred grand from Watford.

Christ Fulham fans were right last season, we've always been shit haven't we

It's nuts that team didn't even make the play-offs in 97. Impey and Sinclair on the wings, Murray and Quashie midfield, Spencer and Dichio up front. Went to man City near the end of the season and absolutely took them apart.

Sadly the defence, and particularly the goalkeeper, were complete pony.
Dykes on 14:50 - Mar 29 with 1906 viewsPinnerPaul

Pellicori
Adam Czerkas
Dean Sturridge
Dean Coney
Steve Slade
Lee Charles
DJ Campbell
Jay Bothroyd
Macauley Bonne
Troy Hewitt
Rob Hulse
Federico Macheda
Tamas Priskin
Marcus Bent
Ben Sahar
Daniel Nardiello
Leon Clarke
Sammy Youssouf
Stefan Moore

Who was the bloke Harry got in (From West Ham I think) scored 1 goal - Clive hated him!
Dykes on 14:51 - Mar 29 with 1891 viewsPinnerPaul

Dykes on 13:41 - Mar 29 by RBlock

That's him - sorry should have read the rest of the thread before I posted!
Dykes on 14:56 - Mar 29 with 1881 viewsNed_Kennedys

Dykes on 06:38 - Mar 29 by johnhoop

They must have had a collective memory block on the spectacle of watching Alessandro Pellicori appear in a Rangers shirt.
All the mobility of a Telegraph pole.

Thought he played well in the cup game at Exeter though.
Dykes on 15:21 - Mar 29 with 1851 viewsRBlock

Dykes on 13:57 - Mar 29 by Northernr

Stoke couldn't believe their luck. It's basically play for play what we did with Washington too.

And Bonne...
Dykes on 15:28 - Mar 29 with 1842 viewsTheChef

Dykes on 14:39 - Mar 29 by Northernr

It's nuts that team didn't even make the play-offs in 97. Impey and Sinclair on the wings, Murray and Quashie midfield, Spencer and Dichio up front. Went to man City near the end of the season and absolutely took them apart.

Sadly the defence, and particularly the goalkeeper, were complete pony.

Yeah 96/97 was an odd one - we finished 9th and I think even in the last couple of games if we won and results went our way we could still scrape into the playoffs. Didn't happen though.

Looking at the results we had a crap November (surprise) and went without a win for eight games between January and March (sounds familiar) so that did for us.

Amazing how strong our DNA is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996%E2%80%9397_Queens_Park_Rangers_F.C._season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024