Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. 16:21 - May 8 with 18587 viewselectricblue

According to JM he will be speaking to the club in a few days......

For me keep him as a coach and use him needed as an interim manager.....
[Post edited 8 May 2023 16:45]

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Possibly McNults post match chat.. on 16:34 - May 8 with 8274 viewsTrev

I'm not in the 'part of the problem' brigade but I really hope he doesn't get the job. No issue with him staying at the club in some capacity, in fact I hope he does, but I do think we need a fresh start.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 16:52 - May 8 with 8164 viewsSaxonDale

Said it a few times but I hope he’s gets it. Think he’s done as good a job as we could have realistically expected given the hand he’s been dealt with and whilst I understand that some would want a more experienced manager for non- league, I’d worry about getting another Bentley style manager. What would be key with the chat with McNulty is hearing what he thinks we’d need next season and what experience he would need alongside him to help.

If the board feel they can get better then so be it- however I am not sure who that could be.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 16:58 - May 8 with 8103 viewsEllDale

I, like so many others, think the world of Jim.
And his results since he got the job are pretty decent.
But…..I can’t help but think back a couple or three weeks ago to when we were being overwhelmed playing short ball football from goal kicks which obviously wasn’t working and yet which he steadfastly defended afterwards.
If I thought that if he got the job that Dale would become BBM 2.0 in an alien league then I’d say forget it.
If he’s willing to have a go and motivate the players who are under contract, all of whom have decent playing pedigrees, then give him a go.
Difficult decision for someone to make. Makes you wonder if he’s applied for the job and been told he’s got an interview?
And who sorts out the retained list in the meantime although from his guarded comments he knows a lot more than we do.
And rightly so,
[Post edited 8 May 2023 17:00]
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 17:12 - May 8 with 8003 viewsEllDale

I have just listened so that that is a far better interview than the usual type with the right sort of questions.
And the right sort of answers too.
[Post edited 8 May 2023 18:54]
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 17:16 - May 8 with 7976 viewsRodingdale

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 16:58 - May 8 by EllDale

But…..I can’t help but think back a couple or three weeks ago to when we were being overwhelmed playing short ball football from goal kicks which obviously wasn’t working and yet which he steadfastly defended afterwards.
If I thought that if he got the job that Dale would become BBM 2.0 in an alien league then I’d say forget it.
If he’s willing to have a go and motivate the players who are under contract, all of whom have decent playing pedigrees, then give him a go.
Difficult decision for someone to make. Makes you wonder if he’s applied for the job and been told he’s got an interview?
And who sorts out the retained list in the meantime although from his guarded comments he knows a lot more than we do.
And rightly so,

For what it’s worth I agree, and think he will be given the Head Coach job, assisted by the football consultants the Board have employed to act as Director of Football; the Chairmans end of season statement alluded to this role as being at a fraction of the cost of hiring a Director of football. I think cost is a big factor and I suspect they will be reluctant to go outside the club given the Stockdale and Bentley appointments failed.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 17:17 - May 8 with 7971 viewsdavidab2202

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 16:58 - May 8 by EllDale

And rightly so,

Chairman's statement I think included a comment along the lines of external and internal candidates for the job would suggest that Jim is on a short list of applicants.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 18:35 - May 8 with 7723 viewsNorthernDale

I have to agree with much of the sentiment posted, I personally think McNulty has got the job and that worries me, I like McNulty, but his preferred style of football (possession and passing backwards) will cost us points next season. Today at Harrogate, we played a more attacking game in the first half, with some excellent passing, which opened up Harrogate and this was especially the case for our goal, and we fought for every ball. In the second half, we seem too, for long periods to resort to passing backwards and sideways, with the result, we seemed second best.

I think McNulty as a role within the club as a coach, but not as manager, I am sorry to say.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 18:48 - May 8 with 7629 viewselectricblue

For me an experienced manager is a must to take Dale into a new direction away from the past 3 or 4 seasons but the board must stipulate that McNulty will work along the side of him...

Given the role working with a new manager will give help McNulty no end....

As for DoF do the club need to spend that type of money of that Dept!..No.....

This is the most important decission that the BoD must get right..

Somebody said in the conversation the other day what about Hill/McNulty combo....
God i hope not....

As for me Hill is past history...

Login to get fewer ads

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 19:49 - May 8 with 7417 viewsDaleFan7

Giving McNulty the job would probably push me towards not renewing my ST. I couldn't watch us be pushed off the ball so easily every week whilst nurturing other teams 19 year olds just because we play 'pretty' football. He's admitted he wants to play attractive football to ensure we get Category 1 youth players on loan. This is the BBM mould, it's boring to watch and I can't see it being effective in NL.

Admittedly points wise we have been better off, but the only teams we've played that have anything to play for were Mansfield, Bradford and Stockport, all around the playoffs. We had 2 shots on target across 270 minutes in them games. Other games like Sutton, it was obvious they were already on holiday and let us play how we wanted to.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 19:57 - May 8 with 7393 viewsDale92

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 18:48 - May 8 by electricblue

For me an experienced manager is a must to take Dale into a new direction away from the past 3 or 4 seasons but the board must stipulate that McNulty will work along the side of him...

Somebody said in the conversation the other day what about Hill/McNulty combo....
God i hope not....

What if it was the other way round? Jim Mc and Hendo with Hill as A sporting director or even assistant. As much as his management has failed in the last few years, Hilly had a great idea of how to maximise a Rochdale budget and had an eye for a player.

This is the One, I've waited for

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 20:17 - May 8 with 7278 viewselectricblue

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 19:57 - May 8 by Dale92

What if it was the other way round? Jim Mc and Hendo with Hill as A sporting director or even assistant. As much as his management has failed in the last few years, Hilly had a great idea of how to maximise a Rochdale budget and had an eye for a player.

An inexperienced duo and Hill..

No thanks....

DoF is a postion that money would be better spent elsewhere until it is financially viable....

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 20:29 - May 8 with 7202 viewsscarrow

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 16:52 - May 8 by SaxonDale

Said it a few times but I hope he’s gets it. Think he’s done as good a job as we could have realistically expected given the hand he’s been dealt with and whilst I understand that some would want a more experienced manager for non- league, I’d worry about getting another Bentley style manager. What would be key with the chat with McNulty is hearing what he thinks we’d need next season and what experience he would need alongside him to help.

If the board feel they can get better then so be it- however I am not sure who that could be.

Personally I think McNulty would be a disaster

Look at the away match stats

V Harrogate 1 shot on target
v Stockport 1 shot in the match
v Mansfield 1 shot on target
v Wimbledon 1 shot on target

Admittedly we scored with each shot on target but away from home it's been poor and frailties of the side apart not good enough.

Nice guy but too engrained in BBM ball and stockdale ball for me.

Fresh eyes please with experience of the National League
[Post edited 8 May 2023 20:30]

Poll: Final position

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 20:32 - May 8 with 7173 viewsClivert

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 19:49 - May 8 by DaleFan7

Giving McNulty the job would probably push me towards not renewing my ST. I couldn't watch us be pushed off the ball so easily every week whilst nurturing other teams 19 year olds just because we play 'pretty' football. He's admitted he wants to play attractive football to ensure we get Category 1 youth players on loan. This is the BBM mould, it's boring to watch and I can't see it being effective in NL.

Admittedly points wise we have been better off, but the only teams we've played that have anything to play for were Mansfield, Bradford and Stockport, all around the playoffs. We had 2 shots on target across 270 minutes in them games. Other games like Sutton, it was obvious they were already on holiday and let us play how we wanted to.

I didn't watch today's game so can't comment and you can write the Sutton game off as they were already on the beach.

I liked Jim as a player, he was criticised far too much by some for my liking and he comes across as decent bloke however his style of play is of the BBM style that surrendered our League One status while we all watched with our head in our hands from our sofas. It didn't work in League One and won't work in the rough and tumble of The National League.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 20:35 - May 8 with 7147 viewsJames1980

I am not saying I want someone who aspires to be the next Pep. But please not an experienced bully who plays hoofball. One that understands different players require managing in different ways to get the best out of them.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 20:48 - May 8 with 7094 views_Windydale

McNulty to go for me.

His team plays too casually.

His team tactics don't lead to enough goals and activity in their penalty area. Also giving players the freedom to play like they are in training, caused too many blunders in front of goal.

Been part of the worst-ever season, continuing the style of play that sees an average technical side play football - they enjoy. but struggle to apply , under pressure and especially in the latter half of games.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 21:05 - May 8 with 6990 viewsjonahwhereru

McNulty or not. Not an easy one for the board this. Damned if you do keep him and damned if you don’t.
Pick another manager and it doesn’t work out and there will be recriminations from some that we had a manager who got a tune out of a lots of poor and confidence lacking players, where others couldn’t and you got rid of him.
Stay with him and it doesn’t work and plenty would suggest the board were to weak.
Thought about this a lot and I would prefer they were damned if they didn’t. It was a tough choice as I think Jim has been a super representative of the club, but I do think he is tainted by the recent club history, even though he bears little responsibility for it.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 21:31 - May 8 with 6864 viewspioneer

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 18:48 - May 8 by electricblue

God i hope not....

Cannot see many being interested in the job if they have to work with an existing employee/former acting manager.

We need a new manager with fresh ideas not constrained by our recent history.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 21:41 - May 8 with 6823 viewsrhf

Now I know that it doesn’t take much money to shift a manager market but Nathan Rooney is a big mover, now 5/1 third fav !
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 23:20 - May 8 with 6579 viewsYorkshire_Dale

If the Club give Jim the job they need to go out and wobble their collective heads......yes, he's done well with what he inherited but the pressure was sort of off any way, we were a basket case with the Scouser in charge ...when he left the heat was off, besides, there was/is a bit of talent in the squad that just needed a nudge to show through......
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 23:21 - May 8 with 6574 viewsLaveritty

"Possibly McNulty's last post match chat.."?

I sincerely hope so!

Nothing against the guy but I can't see myself wanting to renew for next season to watch more of that 'style' of football.

First half today I thought we actually played quite well, had a few chances and deservedly took the lead.

Second half - I've had more fun at the dentists than watching the dull, toothless 'football' that I witnessed in those 45 minutes. We just sat back, invited Harrogate to keep coming at us and barely ventured over the half way line.

On the one occasion we did make a forward surge down the right hand side and Sinclair got into a decent position to put a cross into the box, he stopped, turned and played the ball back to SAJ and we lost any attacking impetus we had. YAWN!!! This in a game which had nothing riding on it whatsoever so there is no excuse for playing such risk-averse football.

In the whole of the second half we had 1 shot (Hendo's effort which deflected onto the bar) and a free kick from Dodgson which sailed listlessly beyond the far post.

In isolation that lack of creating chances might be no big cause for concern but when it becomes such a regular occurrence in so many games that we really needed to win (Wimbledon, Mansfield, Bradford, Tranmere (1st half) and Stockport) and then today in a game where we should have been able to play with the shackles off) then that makes me very worried for our chances next season under Jim if he gets the job.

And before anyone asks - No - I don't know who I do want to get the job!

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 07:33 - May 9 with 6253 viewsBillyRudd

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 19:49 - May 8 by DaleFan7

I hope these consultants are saying the same thing to this board. Sadly I doubt it. After 58 years of watching Dale. the thought of another season watching us get into attacking positions, only to end up passing it back to the half way line, leads me to question my sanity when it comes to renewing my season ticket.
As others have already alluded to on here. Supporting Dale for me is now a social event where I see long standing friends interupted by 90 minutes of frustration masquerading as football.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 07:35 - May 9 with 6237 viewsfrenzied

I think we need a complete change at Manager level..anything left over from the previous set up will be distracting.

Jims done a good job in the circumstances..but in order to move forward and stabilise our position in the NL next season we need someone far more experienced.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 09:46 - May 9 with 6003 viewsDaleFan7

Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 07:33 - May 9 by BillyRudd

I hope these consultants are saying the same thing to this board. Sadly I doubt it. After 58 years of watching Dale. the thought of another season watching us get into attacking positions, only to end up passing it back to the half way line, leads me to question my sanity when it comes to renewing my season ticket.
As others have already alluded to on here. Supporting Dale for me is now a social event where I see long standing friends interupted by 90 minutes of frustration masquerading as football.

Indeed, your last sentence is exactly how I feel these days. I have no feeling towards the club or the team at the moment, which is sad. The social side is the main reason for going at the moment.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 10:43 - May 9 with 5892 viewsRodingdale

I think the clues are fairly clear in this extract from the Chairman’s statement, we are seeking to appoint a Head Coach assisted by consultants acting as Director of Football. I’d be very surprised if it’s not Jim. Cost being a driving factor.

“As previously communicated, the club engaged MRKT Insights to review and assist with some areas of football operations such as first team recruitment, squad modelling, and player pathways. This service comes at a fraction of the cost of employing a full time Sporting Director and allows as much of the football budget as possible to be dedicated to players. The search for a new Head Coach is ongoing, with both internal and external candidates being assessed, considered, and interviewed. This process is now in its final stages, and we hope to have made an appointment within the next two weeks.”

I can only hope we recruit better players than we did last year.
Possibly McNultys last post match chat.. on 11:14 - May 9 with 5808 viewsNorthernDale

How can consultants advice on recruitment, do they identify and recommend players, based on what criteria?

Have the club done any interviews? McNulty alluded to the fact the club wanted to talk/interview him over the last few weeks, but he had put them off until the season was over to allow him to concentrate on the team. So that begs the question, have the club spoken to other people over the last few weeks or are they only now commencing the process?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024