Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election 13:52 - May 22 with 15259 viewsraynor94

Are we about to hear the date later today, Sunak has called a cabinet meeting this afternoon.

Inflation is down, things aren't going to get much better for the Tories.

July 4thšŸ˜‰

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

General Election on 09:58 - Jun 7 with 1367 viewsJumpingJackFlash

General Election on 08:47 - Jun 7 by mangohilljack

There are no losers here, Sunak is simply going to hand the baton over. That is the way it was always going.

If you actually think your vote counts or matters you have a lot to learn

Iā€™m 67 years old and I am painfully aware that I have a huge amount still to learn.

Thatā€™s the difference between us. You clearly think that you know it all.
General Election on 20:32 - Jun 7 with 1268 viewsSullutaCreturned

General Election on 09:52 - Jun 7 by majorraglan

Tony Blairā€™s conduct in relation to the Iraq war was disgraceful and that taints everything for me, but other aspects of his time in government were much more positive.
Had Tony Blair not got embroiled in the Iraq business, then heā€™d be seen in a much more positive light because his tenure coincided with big rise in standards of living and NHS performance.

Or there's the massive rise in the use of PFI that cost the NHS billions. The robbery of pension funds and the bankrupting of Royal mail's pension fund that saw it having to be rescued by Cameron and Osborne. There's also the massive increase in debt and defiict that has continued to get worse to this day as governments fail to deal with it. How about the privatisations that have ended up with oir bills rising massively and seen record profits yet bills are set to rise again becase they haven't invested in infrastructure and expect US to pay for it.
I'm sure there's more...oh yeah, changing himan rights rules which broadly benefitted his wife's legal chambers.

The rises you mention came at a huge cost.
General Election on 20:45 - Jun 7 with 1262 viewsonehunglow

General Election on 09:58 - Jun 7 by JumpingJackFlash

Iā€™m 67 years old and I am painfully aware that I have a huge amount still to learn.

Thatā€™s the difference between us. You clearly think that you know it all.

Good point.
We are finished when we think we know it all.
We know nothing really

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

General Election on 22:33 - Jun 7 with 1237 viewsmajorraglan

General Election on 20:32 - Jun 7 by SullutaCreturned

Or there's the massive rise in the use of PFI that cost the NHS billions. The robbery of pension funds and the bankrupting of Royal mail's pension fund that saw it having to be rescued by Cameron and Osborne. There's also the massive increase in debt and defiict that has continued to get worse to this day as governments fail to deal with it. How about the privatisations that have ended up with oir bills rising massively and seen record profits yet bills are set to rise again becase they haven't invested in infrastructure and expect US to pay for it.
I'm sure there's more...oh yeah, changing himan rights rules which broadly benefitted his wife's legal chambers.

The rises you mention came at a huge cost.

There was a big increase PFI which I think is an outrage, but some but not all) of the issues with PFI are attributable poor negotiating from the public sector negotiators.

I agree with your comments about the pension funds, itā€™s had a terrible impact on pensions however, the Conservative's have had 14 years to reverse the changes and they havenā€™t. My personal view is that the government should be encouraging people to provide for their future - failure to do so is only stating up problems for the future.

National Debt under Blair hovered around Ā£35bn per year and peaked in 2009 and 2020 at Ā£49bn and Ā£65bn after the bankers crash. Cue the Conservatives, in 2011 the figure rose to Ā£71bn and after then it kept going up - in 2019 (last pre Covid year) it was Ā£81bn - higher than any point under Labour. Itā€™s gone up even further since Covid, but I think unfair to compare the pandemic with the non Covid periods. The bottom line is that without the bankers crash, a national Debt under Labour was roughly half what it was under the Conservatives. The figures are a matter of public record. The conservatives have done a great job over the years gaslighting us on the the debt narrative, they are responsible for most of it. The question Iā€™d like an answer to is where did the money go to put us this much in debt?

In terms of the privatisations, the vast majority of the privatisations in the 90s took place between 1990 and 1996, check out the list on Wikipedia. There were far less privatisations between 1997 and 2010 than there were under the Conservatives. Check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_privatizations_by_country

The Human Rights Act has some positives, but aspects of it have become a nightmare and weā€™ve ended up with what we have now. Iā€™d change the Human Rights Act, Iā€™d change Article 8 which is Right to respect for private and family life, Iā€™d make changes to weaken the protections so that more emphasis is place on conducive to the public good and less emphasis on the rights of the individual. Criminals (especially the foreign ones) shouldnā€™t be able to hide behind the HRA to avoid sanctions and deporting.
General Election on 13:19 - Jun 8 with 1135 viewsSullutaCreturned

The national debt rose under Labour but it was the massive deficit that really caused problems as succesive governments had to borrow ever increasing amounts to cover the deficit. The only way to stop debt rising was to cut the deficit but that meant reducing spending and we all saw the outcome of the tories so called austerity.

So the roots of our debt and deficit today were planted by Blair and Brown. The banking crash may not have been so bad if banking had been better regulated.
General Election on 16:38 - Jun 8 with 1077 viewsmajorraglan

General Election on 13:19 - Jun 8 by SullutaCreturned

The national debt rose under Labour but it was the massive deficit that really caused problems as succesive governments had to borrow ever increasing amounts to cover the deficit. The only way to stop debt rising was to cut the deficit but that meant reducing spending and we all saw the outcome of the tories so called austerity.

So the roots of our debt and deficit today were planted by Blair and Brown. The banking crash may not have been so bad if banking had been better regulated.

The figures donā€™t support the fact that the debt is entirely attributable to Blair and Brown. Debt reduced to its lowest level in 1991 and 1992 and then started increasing rapidly iuntil Blair and Brown came to power. It initially stabilised under Brown, then reduced for 5 years to almost 1992 levels before starting to climb again to Ā£35.69bn in 2008. Then we had the bankers crash/financial crisis and debt went up significantly.
The lowest levels since 2011 under the Conservatives are double are the highest figures under Labour.

Iā€™m not saying Labour were great, but a lot of what weā€™ve come to accept has been pumped out by the Conservative supporting media. Check it out for yourself on the ukpublicspending website.
General Election on 16:51 - Jun 8 with 1059 viewsWhiterockin

General Election on 16:38 - Jun 8 by majorraglan

The figures donā€™t support the fact that the debt is entirely attributable to Blair and Brown. Debt reduced to its lowest level in 1991 and 1992 and then started increasing rapidly iuntil Blair and Brown came to power. It initially stabilised under Brown, then reduced for 5 years to almost 1992 levels before starting to climb again to Ā£35.69bn in 2008. Then we had the bankers crash/financial crisis and debt went up significantly.
The lowest levels since 2011 under the Conservatives are double are the highest figures under Labour.

Iā€™m not saying Labour were great, but a lot of what weā€™ve come to accept has been pumped out by the Conservative supporting media. Check it out for yourself on the ukpublicspending website.

The 5 Billion a year Brown took from pension funds helped.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/comment/article-13041677/HAMISH-MCRAE-Time-f

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

General Election on 16:59 - Jun 8 with 1047 viewsSullutaCreturned

General Election on 16:38 - Jun 8 by majorraglan

As I said, the record deficit drove debt higher.

What was the deficit when Blair took ver and what was it when the tories got back into power, then what is it today?
Login to get fewer ads

General Election on 18:08 - Jun 8 with 993 viewsmajorraglan

General Election on 16:51 - Jun 8 by Whiterockin

The 5 Billion a year Brown took from pension funds helped.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/comment/article-13041677/HAMISH-MCRAE-Time-f

I think Brown was wrong to take the money from the pension funds, or if it needed to be done it could have been done for a few years and then stopped.
Brown has rightly copped a lot of flack on this, but not one of the subsequent chancellors from the Conservative governments between 2010 and 2014 have reversed Brownā€™s change - in fact itā€™s never even been discussed.
General Election on 11:08 - Jun 9 with 857 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The other potential spanner in the works that nobody seems to be talking about it Gallowayā€™s ā€œworkers partyā€ who will undoubtedly take a chunk of votes off Labour inā€¦certain areas.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

General Election on 13:18 - Jun 9 with 821 viewswaynekerr55

General Election on 16:59 - Jun 8 by SullutaCreturned

As I said, the record deficit drove debt higher.

What was the deficit when Blair took ver and what was it when the tories got back into power, then what is it today?

Even pre COVID the debt was massive, so austerity didn't save anything

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

General Election on 19:48 - Jun 10 with 693 viewsSullutaCreturned

General Election on 18:08 - Jun 8 by majorraglan

I think Brown was wrong to take the money from the pension funds, or if it needed to be done it could have been done for a few years and then stopped.
Brown has rightly copped a lot of flack on this, but not one of the subsequent chancellors from the Conservative governments between 2010 and 2014 have reversed Brownā€™s change - in fact itā€™s never even been discussed.

As I already said, Brown and Blair bankrupted Royal mail's pesnion fund which, ironically had too much mney in it when they started. It was cameron and Osborne who then rescued it, bailed it out and put it under an independent body a few years later.

The tories were never going to change a big revenue stream though and where would the deficit be today without that money?

In 2023 jst the interest on the national debt was sid to be 110 BILLION and as we were 40 billion in deficit in December 2023 the debt can only have risen.
General Election on 19:58 - Jun 10 with 683 viewsDr_Winston

The last time the country was in good nick financially was in 1997 when Ken Clarke was Chancellor.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

General Election on 20:00 - Jun 10 with 681 viewsonehunglow

General Election on 19:58 - Jun 10 by Dr_Winston

The last time the country was in good nick financially was in 1997 when Ken Clarke was Chancellor.

I have his autobiography
Itā€™s a good read
Pretty grounded individual and rather different too.

General Election on 20:35 - Jun 10 with 654 viewsmajorraglan

General Election on 19:48 - Jun 10 by SullutaCreturned

As I already said, Brown and Blair bankrupted Royal mail's pesnion fund which, ironically had too much mney in it when they started. It was cameron and Osborne who then rescued it, bailed it out and put it under an independent body a few years later.

The tories were never going to change a big revenue stream though and where would the deficit be today without that money?

In 2023 jst the interest on the national debt was sid to be 110 BILLION and as we were 40 billion in deficit in December 2023 the debt can only have risen.

The Royal Mail started taking pension holidays in 1990 and the arrangement came to an end in 2003 which makes it almost a 50/50 split time wise between the Conservatives and Labour. The pension holidays should never have been allowed.
General Election on 10:29 - Jun 12 with 558 viewsJumpingJackFlash

ITV release clip from the Sunak interview and wow.

He hurries in, apologising and complaining that the 80th Anniversary of D Day ā€œran overā€. I kid you not.

Later he talks of his own sacrifices growing up. He didnā€™t have Sky TVā€¦
General Election on 10:46 - Jun 12 with 539 viewsonehunglow

General Election on 10:29 - Jun 12 by JumpingJackFlash

He hurries in, apologising and complaining that the 80th Anniversary of D Day ā€œran overā€. I kid you not.

I saw that.
Itā€™s incredible
The least astute politician of our time
Worse than Truss and May who didnā€™t concede their bitchiness
Heā€™s actually stupid

General Election on 10:55 - Jun 12 with 529 viewsraynor94

General Election on 10:29 - Jun 12 by JumpingJackFlash

It makes you think he's working for the Labour Party

General Election on 11:19 - Jun 12 with 509 viewsBoundy

General Election on 10:55 - Jun 12 by raynor94

It makes you think he's working for the Labour Party

A millionaire in his own right and the wife , well who knows and he cares about the prols, yeas sure.Its power nothing more which drives these individuals, the day John Smith died was the day that a caring more rounded society died

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the peopleā€”not the master."

General Election on 11:28 - Jun 12 with 502 viewscontroversial_jack

National debt is not really a problem. It's far to high to ever be paid back, we can only pay the interest. It will get higher too as whatever govt will have to borrow. More- taxes raised doesn't cover govt spending. It's not unique to this country almost every other has it, some more, some less than we do
General Election on 15:43 - Jun 12 with 439 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The greens unveiled their manifesto today but nobody really noticed. I find myself weirdly enticed by the little pixie/elf lady theyā€™ve got leading them but why in the sacred name of Greta Thunbergs left buttock do they need two leaders? Theyā€™ve got more leaders than MPs. Itā€™s bizarre.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

General Election on 16:26 - Jun 12 with 402 viewsSullutaCreturned

General Election on 20:35 - Jun 10 by majorraglan

The Royal Mail started taking pension holidays in 1990 and the arrangement came to an end in 2003 which makes it almost a 50/50 split time wise between the Conservatives and Labour. The pension holidays should never have been allowed.

The pension holidays were because the pension fund was "overfunded" which was apparently against the rules.

Brown changed the tax regime in a way that damaged pension funds. I'm not denying the tories haven't since done bad because, lets face it, they have doen a lot of bad. They haven't righted many wrongs. I'm not defending any tory but I have a serious downer on Blair and Brown froma time when I was a CWU union rep and we got (in my opinion) lied to by Alan Johnson to accept a pay deal which was bad for us with Johnson ending up in the Labour government.
General Election on 19:13 - Jun 12 with 338 viewsmajorraglan

So it looks like the 12 month military secondment /national service may actually be 25 days! What b@@@@@@@ is this, itā€™s unreal. What is the point in 25 days ā€œmilitary serviceā€ - itā€™s a joke and they are making it up as they go along and gaslighting us as they go along.

I think the concept of a years military service could work, but it needs a lot of thought. Any kid not education, training or employment should be compelled to contribute - or no benefits.
General Election on 19:52 - Jun 12 with 322 viewsraynor94

A private aid to Sunak is being investigated for placing a bet on the date of the election 3 days before Sunak announced it!

They really are doing a great job of handing the election to Labour

General Election on 21:57 - Jun 12 with 257 viewsAnotherJohn

General Election on 19:52 - Jun 12 by raynor94

A private aid to Sunak is being investigated for placing a bet on the date of the election 3 days before Sunak announced it!

They really are doing a great job of handing the election to Labour

Welsh connection too!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/welsh-politician-and-right-hand-man-to-ris
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024