Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How we are protrayed in the media compared to others 14:03 - Jan 15 with 2084 viewskingsburyR

We are still known as big spending QPR yet this is copied form an article about Southampton

"Cortese, a former Swiss banker, fronted a deal on behalf of the Leibherr family to buy Southampton in 2009 when the club was in administration and in League One.

Since then, Southampton have spent more than £72million in the transfer market, breaking the club's record transfer fee three times - signing Jay Rodriguez from Burnley for £6m in June 2012, Gaston Ramirez from Bologna for £12m in August of the same year and then Dani Osvaldo for a fee reported to be close to £13m last summer.
"
In that time how much have we spent?

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:05 - Jan 15 with 2067 viewsJuzzie

S**t sticks. As they say, you never get a second chance to make a good first impression.

We've been tarnished as big spenders from 2 years ago yet the likes of Southampton, Swansea, Norwich are the media and public darlings.
How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:07 - Jan 15 with 2047 viewsMedwayR

Nowhere near that, but I'd be more interested in a comparison of wages/contracts as I'd imagine our wage bill is or has been far higher. You also have to consider outgoing transfers, which gives a bit more balance to any comparisons.

Poll: Who’s better?

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:22 - Jan 15 with 1987 viewsNorthernr

we've been daft with wages, as opposed to transfer fees, and of course it looks worse when we do it because we play in a League One stadium.
How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:47 - Jan 15 with 1925 viewsJuzzie

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:07 - Jan 15 by MedwayR

Nowhere near that, but I'd be more interested in a comparison of wages/contracts as I'd imagine our wage bill is or has been far higher. You also have to consider outgoing transfers, which gives a bit more balance to any comparisons.

A couple of years ago on another forum some Southampton fans were berating us at how much Barton's wages were (and by comparison, stating how holier than thou their club was).

I remarked that Barton was a free transfer so £65k a week over a 3 year contracts equates to £10.14m

They had signed Ramírez about the same time we'd signed Barton and he was bought for £12m and on a 4 year contract of about £30k a week. All they would focus on is that he was on £30k and Joey was on £65k conviniently forgeting that Ramirez's transfer and salary combined equates to £18.2m.

When I put this to them they soon shut up.
How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 15:28 - Jan 15 with 1861 viewsMatch82

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:47 - Jan 15 by Juzzie

A couple of years ago on another forum some Southampton fans were berating us at how much Barton's wages were (and by comparison, stating how holier than thou their club was).

I remarked that Barton was a free transfer so £65k a week over a 3 year contracts equates to £10.14m

They had signed Ramírez about the same time we'd signed Barton and he was bought for £12m and on a 4 year contract of about £30k a week. All they would focus on is that he was on £30k and Joey was on £65k conviniently forgeting that Ramirez's transfer and salary combined equates to £18.2m.

When I put this to them they soon shut up.

I remember a similar conversation years ago when Spurs signed Darren Bent and Barcelona signed Thierry Henry - both fees were around 16m and people were making direct comparisons between them, despite the fact that Barcelona were going to be paying obscene amounts of money in wages which would dwarf the transfer fee pretty quickly.

Obviously it's just a case of the media picking things up to suit their purpose (i.e. create dramatic headlines to sell papers). But there is still a line of thought which says that the Ramirez signing below is cheaper.

If Ramirez doesn't work out after 2 years, Southampton will be able to shift him. Let's say they get 1/2 of their money back (6m), that's a net spend of 9m

If Barton doesn't work out after 2 years, we're stuck with the contract, and still paying 10m (13m if you consider a like-for-like 4 year contract)

Not to mention the other factors: having a player who does't want to be here in the dressing room, the fact that other players look at his wages and say "I'll have the same" and the fact that if it DOES work out, his starting point for negotiating a new salary is 65k instead of 30k
How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 16:02 - Jan 15 with 1819 viewsMedwayR

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 15:28 - Jan 15 by Match82

I remember a similar conversation years ago when Spurs signed Darren Bent and Barcelona signed Thierry Henry - both fees were around 16m and people were making direct comparisons between them, despite the fact that Barcelona were going to be paying obscene amounts of money in wages which would dwarf the transfer fee pretty quickly.

Obviously it's just a case of the media picking things up to suit their purpose (i.e. create dramatic headlines to sell papers). But there is still a line of thought which says that the Ramirez signing below is cheaper.

If Ramirez doesn't work out after 2 years, Southampton will be able to shift him. Let's say they get 1/2 of their money back (6m), that's a net spend of 9m

If Barton doesn't work out after 2 years, we're stuck with the contract, and still paying 10m (13m if you consider a like-for-like 4 year contract)

Not to mention the other factors: having a player who does't want to be here in the dressing room, the fact that other players look at his wages and say "I'll have the same" and the fact that if it DOES work out, his starting point for negotiating a new salary is 65k instead of 30k

That's where having strategy comes into it for both wages & transfers, unfortunately we've rarely bothered with such things in the past decade or so and continually pay the price for it, literally.

With another squad rebuild due in the summer it would be nice if the club had a plan in place and were already identifying suitable players and planning sensible budgets. Unfortunately I struggle to see Redknapp taking part in any planning for the future.

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 16:19 - Jan 15 with 1785 viewstoboboly

Problem is that Southampton have actually done quite well, rather than lurch from one dire signing to another and one car crash to another.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 16:32 - Jan 15 with 1761 viewsGrant165

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 16:19 - Jan 15 by toboboly

Problem is that Southampton have actually done quite well, rather than lurch from one dire signing to another and one car crash to another.

Yes, that'll be the difference right there.

They've spent money pretty well are not a complete basket case of a club.
Login to get fewer ads

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 16:39 - Jan 15 with 1741 viewssimmo

Jay Rodriguez - 22
Gaston Ramirez - 21/22
Osvaldo - 27

All with sell on value, all (bar maybe Osvaldo) would see playing in the Premier League with Saints as a step up. All young enough to improve as players during their time at Saints where they will either be sold on at profit or used in a better Saints side. Also those are brought in to mix with the youth and academy players. I bet none of those 3 or anybody else is on the kind of wages that Park, SWP, Barton etc are on either.

Comparing Saints 'spending' in relation to ours is folly, it is not all about transfer fees.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 18:08 - Jan 15 with 1643 viewsthemodfather

the media and "other" teams want someone to blame
fair play? cardiff, millions and millions in debt, monies owing on ground loans yet went up in glory?
how much have norwich spent in staying up?
fulham must be near the £500m in staying up with no cup either, they may argue an intertoto but that's for qualifying into the proper rounds!
then we come to man citeh...they have changed the ground rules and seem to be "Heroes"! from a club famed for youth players coming thru to galactico's overnight and barely an eye brow raised.....qpr have done no more than others and are likely gambling on the parachute money NOW to go up , but who have we bought? austin £5m? and philipps around £4m , others are loanees.
How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 19:00 - Jan 15 with 1611 viewsderbyhoop

It may be grossly unfair but it's not something that's going to go away in a hurry. How many other Championship clubs have spent £9m on 2 players?

As Clive said, it's not the transfer fees, it's the stupid wage levels. I'd like to think that part of the "learning" experience is that we now have a wage structure in place that is applicable for both the Championship and the PL. If so, all we have to do is get rid of those who fall outside.

As an example, Green is out of contract this Summer. How would he feel about being offered a new 2 year contract on half what he's been getting the last 2 years?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 19:15 - Jan 15 with 1590 viewsFlex

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 19:00 - Jan 15 by derbyhoop

It may be grossly unfair but it's not something that's going to go away in a hurry. How many other Championship clubs have spent £9m on 2 players?

As Clive said, it's not the transfer fees, it's the stupid wage levels. I'd like to think that part of the "learning" experience is that we now have a wage structure in place that is applicable for both the Championship and the PL. If so, all we have to do is get rid of those who fall outside.

As an example, Green is out of contract this Summer. How would he feel about being offered a new 2 year contract on half what he's been getting the last 2 years?

Our transfer policy has been foolhardy for years. Southampton have a great academy and have sold the likes of Bale and Ox in recent years. When was the last time we sold someone for more than £1m (excluding Mackie)?

This is ignoring the frankly ridiculous wages we pay for old, injury prone has-beens/never-weres.

Lastly our match day revenue pales in comparison to the likes of Southampton, Swansea etc as well as many championship clubs.

Our policy has been a disgrace.
How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 19:40 - Jan 15 with 1532 viewsSpiritofGregory

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 19:00 - Jan 15 by derbyhoop

It will be the best offer he'll get in this country.

Don't want Green in the Premier League, he's a Championship goalkeeper, just like Kenny.
How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:21 - Jan 16 with 1375 viewsdaveB

Southampton are of course wonderful, a model of how clubs should operate from top to bottom. That is of course if you ignore the fact they were going out of business 4 years ago due to some ridiculous management at the club and were only saved by a billionaire who threw money at it.

It was all going well this year until the chairmen resigned and now manager looks like following him, better players are rumoured to be sold off and if they get relegated losing the prem money with a massive wage bill and expensive academy to pay for they won't look quite so clever.

Football
How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:25 - Jan 16 with 1362 viewsMedwayR

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:21 - Jan 16 by daveB

Southampton are of course wonderful, a model of how clubs should operate from top to bottom. That is of course if you ignore the fact they were going out of business 4 years ago due to some ridiculous management at the club and were only saved by a billionaire who threw money at it.

It was all going well this year until the chairmen resigned and now manager looks like following him, better players are rumoured to be sold off and if they get relegated losing the prem money with a massive wage bill and expensive academy to pay for they won't look quite so clever.

Football

I'd be interested to see Southampton's wage bill, I seem to recall Gaston Ramirez stating when he joined them that he couldn't say no as they offered him so much money, I'd imagine Osvaldo is similar. However if you have a squad of 24 but only 4/5 of them earn big money it's not such a big a problem, unfortunately in the past we've paid over the odds pretty much throughout the entire squad...

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:26 - Jan 16 with 1359 viewsJamie

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 16:39 - Jan 15 by simmo

Jay Rodriguez - 22
Gaston Ramirez - 21/22
Osvaldo - 27

All with sell on value, all (bar maybe Osvaldo) would see playing in the Premier League with Saints as a step up. All young enough to improve as players during their time at Saints where they will either be sold on at profit or used in a better Saints side. Also those are brought in to mix with the youth and academy players. I bet none of those 3 or anybody else is on the kind of wages that Park, SWP, Barton etc are on either.

Comparing Saints 'spending' in relation to ours is folly, it is not all about transfer fees.

When Ramirez signed for them he openly stated he did so because of the 'incredible' salary they had offered him....
How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:36 - Jan 16 with 1334 viewstoboboly

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:26 - Jan 16 by Jamie

When Ramirez signed for them he openly stated he did so because of the 'incredible' salary they had offered him....

Which is probably paltry in comparison to what we will offer him in 12 years time.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:38 - Jan 16 with 1324 viewsTonto

we are suffering from a negative image right now.

we used to be "that nice little team" that no one could really have a bad word for. now we are seen as arrogant, money spending big boy pretneders with little soul or history. If you can trace the change back to anything I would probably say it began at about the same time Flabio was spoouting that boutique football club crap.

it didnt help that we splashed £12M on Samba, and yes it is convenient that the media have forgotten we got that £12M back.

to be fair to Norwich, Southampton and Swansea, they didnt spend the same amount of cash until they had been in the premiership for 3 years, and you could say they were established more by then. our problem was we changed owners with only a week to go in the first window, and managers half way through the second...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:43 - Jan 16 with 1308 viewssimmo

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:26 - Jan 16 by Jamie

If they have any players that don't even make the bench on 50-60k+, I will be gobsmacked. Let alone having 3-4 of them. That doesnt include the losses we are incurring from our loaned players.

Ramirez is one of their best players and all money spent on wages and transfersis arguably an investment they will get back.

Meanwhile we pay SWP, Zamora, Young etc fckin millions and they will contribute nothing until the contracts run out and we release them on a free. All whilst taking money on 15-18k gates.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:43 - Jan 16 with 1308 viewsJuzzie

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 14:25 - Jan 16 by MedwayR

I'd be interested to see Southampton's wage bill, I seem to recall Gaston Ramirez stating when he joined them that he couldn't say no as they offered him so much money, I'd imagine Osvaldo is similar. However if you have a squad of 24 but only 4/5 of them earn big money it's not such a big a problem, unfortunately in the past we've paid over the odds pretty much throughout the entire squad...

but... but... but... Southampton fans were saying how good they were because their players (notably Ramirez) weren't on the same obscene money as ours.

I guess there's obscene (them) and grossly-obscene (us).

Indeed, football.
How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 15:39 - Jan 16 with 1242 viewsCiderwithRsie

How we are protrayed in the media compared to others on 16:19 - Jan 15 by toboboly

Exactly my thought.

Southampton have spent, though still a lot less than the Champions League clubs, but have turned themselves from League 1 to a decent Premiership side.

We threw money at players and sank back to where we came from.

I agree that the "QPR are ruining football with their spending" stuff was all balls though
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024