Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes Thread 19:48 - Nov 15 with 45864 viewsBlackCrowe

If we survive the 1st test, i think we might just sneak it. If we lose it, it'll probably be carnage.

Going to days 1-3 of Sydney. Anyone else there?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes Thread on 09:14 - Nov 24 with 2367 viewsTheChef

Ashes Thread on 08:45 - Nov 24 by stowmarketrange

I don’t think the tail did too bad today really.It was our 2 best batsmen that let us down in the first innings.All 3 newbies got 50’s,which is a good sign.
It’s still all to play for but we need to break this partnership early tomorrow.

Hmmm, well I don't think losing 6 wickets for 60 runs is that brilliant.

But yes glad that the newbies did well (arguably more important, as Cook and Root are still good enough to score big in the series), just a shame none of them converted their 50s to a ton.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes Thread on 09:25 - Nov 24 with 2363 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hold everything! There's a pool in the cricket ground???

Ok, "hold everything" may be a poor choice of words...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ashes Thread on 09:38 - Nov 24 with 2339 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes Thread on 09:14 - Nov 24 by TheChef

Hmmm, well I don't think losing 6 wickets for 60 runs is that brilliant.

But yes glad that the newbies did well (arguably more important, as Cook and Root are still good enough to score big in the series), just a shame none of them converted their 50s to a ton.

Broad got 20,Ball got 14.It was the lower middle order that slumped,although Bairstow couldn’t do much else but hit out.
Ashes Thread on 09:42 - Nov 24 with 2333 viewsTheChef

Ashes Thread on 09:38 - Nov 24 by stowmarketrange

Broad got 20,Ball got 14.It was the lower middle order that slumped,although Bairstow couldn’t do much else but hit out.

Well yes, when I say lower order I mean batsmen coming in from number 7.

It's the likes of Bairstow and Woakes who need to do better in the first instance.

Ashes Thread on 10:11 - Nov 24 with 2314 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes Thread on 09:42 - Nov 24 by TheChef

It's the likes of Bairstow and Woakes who need to do better in the first instance.

Sorry I meant to press the up button but my fat finger slipped.
Ashes Thread on 10:55 - Nov 24 with 2289 viewsMrSheen

Ashes Thread on 14:31 - Nov 23 by HantsR

He's supposed to be a very good footballer but played for Reading Academy, wrong sort of hoops?

As he's 'Ampshire captain, I'm very keen on his progress and was delighted with his play this morning but devastated when he was run out on 83.

edit: just checked, he is an Rs fan

[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 16:26]

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/sport/11235558.Hants_charge_to_another_T20_v
Ashes Thread on 11:58 - Nov 24 with 2226 viewsTheChef

Ashes Thread on 10:11 - Nov 24 by stowmarketrange

Sorry I meant to press the up button but my fat finger slipped.

Boo hiss.

Apparently Bairstow was farming the strike with Broad today. Fair enough if it was Anderson, but Broad can bat a bit (albeit his confidence is not what it used to be).

Ashes Thread on 13:34 - Nov 24 with 2167 viewsjonno

Ashes Thread on 09:38 - Nov 24 by stowmarketrange

Exactly. Why are our main batsmen petrified of spinners? Whoever we play, it seems as soon as the spinner, no matter how good or poor he is, comes on they seem to sit back and fiddle around attempting to block every ball, then pretty soon they get out. Surely that is handing the initiative to the bowler - when you know that the batsman is not looking to attack you then you become more confident. I'm sure Lyon is a decent spinner, but he's not a worldbeater. Yet there were our main batsmen just attempting to block every ball and sooner or later getting out as well as slowing down the scoring rate. As soon as Jake Ball came in (fast bowler) he just attacked Lyon and hit him for three boundaries in very short time. Result? Lyon's bowling became more erratic and he was quickly taken off. England should be looking to hit Lyon out of the series IMHO, instead of simply allowing him to dominate.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes Thread on 13:39 - Nov 24 with 2161 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes Thread on 09:42 - Nov 24 by TheChef

Bairstow and Woakes will be fine i reckon. can't judge anything or anyone on the first innnings of test series. My concern was the newbies being overawed and bullied into collapse and they've shown they have the character (always had the ability).

Ashes Thread on 13:41 - Nov 24 with 2158 viewsBlackCrowe

Lyon really is nothing that special. And he has a weasel-face.

Ashes Thread on 13:48 - Nov 24 with 2153 viewsMrSheen

Ashes Thread on 13:41 - Nov 24 by BlackCrowe

At least it makes him look like a sportsman. Unlike one of his predecessors.

Daniel O'Donnell impersonator Nathan Hauritz
Ashes Thread on 15:10 - Nov 24 with 2125 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes Thread on 13:41 - Nov 24 by BlackCrowe

I’ll make sure he knows that when I get to Perth and the last 3 tests.
“You’re nothing special and you’ve got a Weasley face.”
Ashes Thread on 15:34 - Nov 24 with 2115 viewsHunterhoop

Ashes Thread on 15:10 - Nov 24 by stowmarketrange

I’ll make sure he knows that when I get to Perth and the last 3 tests.
“You’re nothing special and you’ve got a Weasley face.”

You, me and Black Crowe will be there in Melbourne so we can all make him aware! Not the most catchy of songs, but it does the job.
Ashes Thread on 15:38 - Nov 24 with 2113 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes Thread on 15:34 - Nov 24 by Hunterhoop

You, me and Black Crowe will be there in Melbourne so we can all make him aware! Not the most catchy of songs, but it does the job.

Alas not Melbourne for me. Sydney days 2 and 3 and now hoping to snag a ticket for day 1 as well.

Ashes Thread on 20:14 - Nov 24 with 2050 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes Thread on 15:34 - Nov 24 by Hunterhoop

19 days till I go.Cant wait to pay £7 a pint for kangaroo p@ss.
Supposedly you have to carry photo Id to get into the pubs.Long time since I’ve been asked for ID.
Ashes Thread on 21:18 - Nov 24 with 2016 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes Thread on 20:14 - Nov 24 by stowmarketrange

19 days till I go.Cant wait to pay £7 a pint for kangaroo p@ss.
Supposedly you have to carry photo Id to get into the pubs.Long time since I’ve been asked for ID.

Vodka in mini evian (or similar) bottles works. through security Done that in tbe past couple of ashes tours and then just bought coke and ice inside the ground. Not a substiute for beer though but preferable to mid-strength on a hot day.

Ashes Thread on 22:16 - Nov 24 with 1982 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes Thread on 21:18 - Nov 24 by BlackCrowe

Vodka in mini evian (or similar) bottles works. through security Done that in tbe past couple of ashes tours and then just bought coke and ice inside the ground. Not a substiute for beer though but preferable to mid-strength on a hot day.

I tried that for the Oval test in 2013 and I was absolutely f@cked by tea.I don’t even remember the last couple of hours play.
Ashes Thread on 22:25 - Nov 24 with 1976 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes Thread on 11:58 - Nov 24 by TheChef

Boo hiss.

Apparently Bairstow was farming the strike with Broad today. Fair enough if it was Anderson, but Broad can bat a bit (albeit his confidence is not what it used to be).

That was commented on quite a bit on TMS, I hope it is one of the things that the coaching team work on. I'm a bit disappointed that the loss of Stokes seems to mean that we've gone from batting down to 9 (or even 10 if Wood plays) to being into the tail after 7. Of course swapping Ball for Stokes is big difference, but Bairstow should be treating Woakes and even Broad as proper batting partners IMO, in fact it should work quite well, with Bairstow playing the aggressor and the other two guys playing the ball on its merits.

(The other being to be bit smarter when facing bouncers - there're going to be a lot of them, but having put in the hard yards all they needed to do was ride it out for a few overs and let the Aussies knacker themselves out. England's extra bowler could be potentially decisive - if we can survive the new ball and get after Lyon I don't think Cummings can bowl more than 5 overs in a burst- in fact even his 5th looks a bit dodgy)
Ashes Thread on 04:23 - Nov 25 with 1917 viewsjonno

Ashes Thread on 22:25 - Nov 24 by CiderwithRsie

That was commented on quite a bit on TMS, I hope it is one of the things that the coaching team work on. I'm a bit disappointed that the loss of Stokes seems to mean that we've gone from batting down to 9 (or even 10 if Wood plays) to being into the tail after 7. Of course swapping Ball for Stokes is big difference, but Bairstow should be treating Woakes and even Broad as proper batting partners IMO, in fact it should work quite well, with Bairstow playing the aggressor and the other two guys playing the ball on its merits.

(The other being to be bit smarter when facing bouncers - there're going to be a lot of them, but having put in the hard yards all they needed to do was ride it out for a few overs and let the Aussies knacker themselves out. England's extra bowler could be potentially decisive - if we can survive the new ball and get after Lyon I don't think Cummings can bowl more than 5 overs in a burst- in fact even his 5th looks a bit dodgy)

Spot on about the bouncers. The Aussies were just bowling them monotonously one after the other but instead of just leaving them all some of our batsmen thought it a good idea to take them on and promptly got out. I notice that in return their batsmen are just leaving any bouncers we bowl. That should be the approach - don't fall into the obvious trap.
Ashes Thread on 06:42 - Nov 25 with 1878 viewsHantsR

I've got a familiar sinking g feeling
Ashes Thread on 07:48 - Nov 25 with 1855 viewsBlackCrowe

Good survival there at the end. Time to rebuild boys.

Things we learned:

- Oz bowlers are more killer, Rat Cummins is the pick
- Smith carried Oz batting line up, not much else there based on first innings
- Stoneman looks like he could be the answer at no2
- BT commentary: Alison Mitchell, gilchrist, Pietersen, Swann - all truly dreadful

Ashes Thread on 08:04 - Nov 25 with 1845 viewsdaveB

I think England have given away 50 or so runs today that could cost them, needed to rattle through the tail but momentum is wth Australia now.

I can't see England getting enough runs to win the game, reckon we'll be all out for around 270 tomorrow and lose it on the last day. Decent match though and not much between the teams
Ashes Thread on 09:40 - Nov 25 with 1812 viewsHunterhoop

Bugger.

115 for the final 3 wickets is such a game changer. Gave the Aussies a right lift and gave them an hour to run in all guns blazing.

Finishing the day 7-2 is not good. It's about as bad as it could realistically have been after yesterday. Twice in two days Eng have had great opportunities to hammer home the advantage, and twice they'be let Aus get on top.

Root, Stoneman, Malan and Bairstow are going to have to bat exceptionally well tomorrow. We need a lead of 250.
Ashes Thread on 11:27 - Nov 25 with 1771 viewsjonno

Ashes Thread on 08:04 - Nov 25 by daveB

I think England have given away 50 or so runs today that could cost them, needed to rattle through the tail but momentum is wth Australia now.

I can't see England getting enough runs to win the game, reckon we'll be all out for around 270 tomorrow and lose it on the last day. Decent match though and not much between the teams

Yes - they have given away runs but where they have lost this match is going from 240-4 to lose 6 wickets for a mere 60 runs. From that position they should have reached 400, which on this pitch would have meant a draw was the worst they could get as they should have had a first innings lead of around 100 with the Aussies on the back foot looking to just avoid defeat. Improvement needed.
Ashes Thread on 13:07 - Nov 25 with 1729 viewsdubaistu

I'll be there for the full 5 days
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024