Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale 21:34 - Feb 10 with 25912 viewsChaffRAFC

Some info from Sunderland:

Fanzone

We have a fanzone in the Beacon of Light for this game. Dale fans are welcome. Do you know any fans that are attending the game that would be interested in doing an interview with us to provide a review of your season so far? If so please can you ask if we can have their contact details to call them in advance?

Local Pubs

Near the ground - Colliery Tavern, Hilton Hotel. Our fanzone is open for all fans too located outside the East Stand of the Stadium of Light

City Centre - I would recommend The Peacock, The Engine Room, Revolution, Greens, Victors

Car Parking

We have six parking bays available for your supporters that require disabled parking. Please ask your supporters to call 0191 551 5004 to enquire about these.

For all other supporters I would recommend St Mary's car park (postcode SR1 3AH). A few other car parks are recommended in the stadium guide link above.

Coaches

Your coaches will be allowed to park right outside the visitors turnstiles at the stadium. The coaches can then park up right next to the ground (stewards will direct them). The coaches will be allowed to return outside the turnstiles to collect ten minutes before full time.

There is great access to the ground so there shouldn't be any issue and it will be a short distance for all your supporters. Do you know how many coaches are coming?

Travel Issues

There should be no issues on the road for this one.

For your fans that might be getting the train to Newcastle to get to Sunderland, they will be using the metro to get to the ground. I would recommend that they get off at St Peter’s Metro station as that is the one nearest to the ground on arrival. They will have to use the Stadium of Light metro to return to Newcastle though (slightly confusing I know).

Drums & Flags

Unfortunately we don’t allow drums but if your fans want to bring flags our stewards will help them to put them on display on arrival. If any fans are bringing a surfer please let me know.

Lift Access for disabled and elderly supporters

As our away end is in the upper tier your supporters can use the lift in the Black Cats Bar. This is for fans that struggle with stairs otherwise the fastest way to get up is using the stairs.

https://m.facebook.com/1540437926195101/photos/a.1620924081479818/25180809850974

This post has been edited by an administrator

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 00:32 - Feb 12 with 1974 views49thseason

Tuesday night away to Sunderland, was there ever any doubt about the outcome?
I have a feeling (but no stats) that we are usually poor on Tuesdays it always feels like too much trouble, low key, lacking in energy. Maybe its do with a small squad, or niggling injuries, or lack of preparation or just because the normal rhythm is disturbed but whatever it is we rarely seem to shine at evening kick offs..
And another thing... who wants to watch football when you just know that you are only likely to see your side score one goal? We have been crap at attacking for nearly 3 seasons .. where is the fun in that? Especially when you know that the odds are the opponents are more likely to score more than 1.
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 02:12 - Feb 12 with 1895 viewsroccydaleian

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 23:44 - Feb 11 by KhanTheSoup

Women's football?

It has its knockers.
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 04:27 - Feb 12 with 1862 viewsrichfoad32

I'm in Edinburgh for the week and so made the trip down, really wish I hadn't bothered. I find the "ah well, we weren't expected to win, so it's no biggie" attitude on here a bit defeatist, especially from some who are always quick to moan about how defeatist this board is. First half was absolutely abysmal, second half marginally better, although that could be down to Sunderland taking their foot off the gas in a game they had wrapped up after 20 mins. We just looked better with Alby offering a physical presence, (he and Sanchez were the only 2 to come out of last night with any credit) and I don't know why it took BBM so long to see it, I know at 40 his game time might need to be managed but he's gone at the end of the season anyway so why not ride him as much as you can? Likewise, I really question the wisdom of handing McShane an 18 month contract if he's only going to play in 50% of games.

Luke looked tentative, he didn't seem to want to commit to challenges which might be understandable given the events of recent weeks but if McLaughlin is fit enough to be on the bench for me he should start. Lund looks well off the pace at the moment and Ryan had a nightmare controlling the ball. Conditions were difficult but it was the same for Sunderland who looked slick without ever having to get out of first gear.

It's easy to say win Saturday and all will be forgotten but what if we don't? If Tranmere win the gap is down to 7 points and things suddenly look nervy again.
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 05:12 - Feb 12 with 1831 viewskiwidale

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 04:27 - Feb 12 by richfoad32

I'm in Edinburgh for the week and so made the trip down, really wish I hadn't bothered. I find the "ah well, we weren't expected to win, so it's no biggie" attitude on here a bit defeatist, especially from some who are always quick to moan about how defeatist this board is. First half was absolutely abysmal, second half marginally better, although that could be down to Sunderland taking their foot off the gas in a game they had wrapped up after 20 mins. We just looked better with Alby offering a physical presence, (he and Sanchez were the only 2 to come out of last night with any credit) and I don't know why it took BBM so long to see it, I know at 40 his game time might need to be managed but he's gone at the end of the season anyway so why not ride him as much as you can? Likewise, I really question the wisdom of handing McShane an 18 month contract if he's only going to play in 50% of games.

Luke looked tentative, he didn't seem to want to commit to challenges which might be understandable given the events of recent weeks but if McLaughlin is fit enough to be on the bench for me he should start. Lund looks well off the pace at the moment and Ryan had a nightmare controlling the ball. Conditions were difficult but it was the same for Sunderland who looked slick without ever having to get out of first gear.

It's easy to say win Saturday and all will be forgotten but what if we don't? If Tranmere win the gap is down to 7 points and things suddenly look nervy again.

my prediction on Saturday is we will boss the game from the outset 68% possession totally dominant they will have 12 shots we will have less and they win 0-1.

This is not the time for bickering.

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 05:59 - Feb 12 with 1806 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 00:07 - Feb 12 by KhanTheSoup

No. No, I don't. I think you draw parallels, as if it were an academic drawing, between one essentially unknowable and another. Sport not like that.

Ah, I wondered what had happened to FalingeParka. Now I know.

If such parallels cannot be made, why bother with structure? Why bother with a manager? If it’s all random, just let the players go out there and do as they will, as nothing will influence the result?

Someone is certainly on a ride.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 06:11 - Feb 12 with 1786 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 05:59 - Feb 12 by fitzochris

If such parallels cannot be made, why bother with structure? Why bother with a manager? If it’s all random, just let the players go out there and do as they will, as nothing will influence the result?

I was coming to that conclusion - about it being FP - before calling it a night last night

Now, like you, i'm sure it is

The guy is a WUM, and his various attempts to reintroduce himself to this messageboard only serve to prove it
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 6:15]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 07:52 - Feb 12 with 1693 viewstodmordendale

That was Busby’s philosophy, Fitz. He often said that. They are footballers who play football. Go out and score more goals than the other team. Not rocket science. Too much messing about with tactics now. Quite clearly, Parkinson sussed it out last night and said so before the game yet we Still persisted in the failed system.
Mesmerising
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 08:19 - Feb 12 with 1652 viewsKhanTheSoup

Dunno. Ask Klopp. Or Busby. Pick 11 stand up guys and be one yourself. That's your lot in sport. It's the analysis that kills.
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 08:38 - Feb 12 with 1608 viewsKhanTheSoup

Your words. (You have a way with 'em btw.) Read 'em again back to yourself. Slowly.
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 08:50 - Feb 12 with 1585 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 07:52 - Feb 12 by todmordendale

That was Busby’s philosophy, Fitz. He often said that. They are footballers who play football. Go out and score more goals than the other team. Not rocket science. Too much messing about with tactics now. Quite clearly, Parkinson sussed it out last night and said so before the game yet we Still persisted in the failed system.
Mesmerising

Yes. I’m well aware of Busby’s words, but it’s interesting that not a single club in the professional game has adhered to them, isn’t it? Suggests to me that some form of structure is required. Maybe the next ‘Pep’ will disprove this and sit on the sidelines adjusting his cravat while claiming he doesn’t actually do anything, who knows? It might catch on.

As you will see from my previous posts, however, I’m not defending for one second the current tactics we are employing. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I just don’t agree that everything in football is random, as our ‘new’ Andy Warhol is claiming.

I can happily draw a parallel between performing well and losing, and performing badly and losing, and the subsequent fan reaction the two generate.

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 08:54 - Feb 12 with 1570 viewsJames1980

I probably chose the wrong game to raise this point. Why do we find it so difficult to give credit to the opposition when we get beaten?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 09:09 - Feb 12 with 1534 viewstodmordendale

Mention of Andy Warhol brings to mind the dilemma Campbell’ soup at Southend
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 09:31 - Feb 12 with 1476 viewsdawlishdale

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 08:54 - Feb 12 by James1980

I probably chose the wrong game to raise this point. Why do we find it so difficult to give credit to the opposition when we get beaten?

Apart from a few individuals, most of the posters on here are quick to praise any team that plays well against us James.

Speaking personally, I'm much more concerned with our own style of play/team selection and tactics. All of which have been awful in recent games.
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 09:43 - Feb 12 with 1451 viewsKhanTheSoup

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 08:50 - Feb 12 by fitzochris

Yes. I’m well aware of Busby’s words, but it’s interesting that not a single club in the professional game has adhered to them, isn’t it? Suggests to me that some form of structure is required. Maybe the next ‘Pep’ will disprove this and sit on the sidelines adjusting his cravat while claiming he doesn’t actually do anything, who knows? It might catch on.

As you will see from my previous posts, however, I’m not defending for one second the current tactics we are employing. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I just don’t agree that everything in football is random, as our ‘new’ Andy Warhol is claiming.

I can happily draw a parallel between performing well and losing, and performing badly and losing, and the subsequent fan reaction the two generate.

C'mon fella. Whoever suggested structure or stability wasn't required? Structure is exactly what is required. That is what a great manager establishes. Infects the board too, as is natural. Look at Klopp, and indeed Hill in our own small way. BBM, and I don't know the guy, seems to have the beginnings of an understanding about the holistic approach. Ferguson got the whole thing from Day One at Utd.

So much talk of what to do with our millions accrued from cup runs and transfers. If there is any spare, I say spend it on the pitch. You can't even start without a playing surface.
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 09:57 - Feb 12 with 1408 viewsjonahwhereru

For the first time I am picking up fans fatigue at being in league 1. Really surprised at that but probably shouldn’t be.lets face it a club attracts more fans when it is in contention for honours in a lower league than when when trying to survive in a higher league among better funded and supported clubs. Although it’s not for me. Saw the nil all against Colchester under Coleman in L1 when we went down and the 2-1 win away against table toppers Gillingham the next season. The L1 game had much more quality, no doubt.
Mid table obscurity is boring.
Could see why the board might think the fans need to be revitalised by a drop in grade and “getting in the mix”, but the risks are to high, I hope.
Never seen a manager of a team at the bottom of a league being popular with the majority of the fans, regardless of playing against better teams most weeks. But them’s the rules.
I hope we win on Saturday and we remain in L1. I still have the stomach for the survival fight but can see others are starting to yearn for a l2 promotion push.
Yes I cherish our L1 status.
Funny on this board losses provoke twice the number of contributions as wins. I guess we are all wannabe managers. There is only one manager at the Dale and I support him.
UTD
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 10:02 - Feb 12 with 1392 viewskiwidale

Suzi said it best you cant Khan the Khan

This is not the time for bickering.

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 10:13 - Feb 12 with 1361 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 09:57 - Feb 12 by jonahwhereru

For the first time I am picking up fans fatigue at being in league 1. Really surprised at that but probably shouldn’t be.lets face it a club attracts more fans when it is in contention for honours in a lower league than when when trying to survive in a higher league among better funded and supported clubs. Although it’s not for me. Saw the nil all against Colchester under Coleman in L1 when we went down and the 2-1 win away against table toppers Gillingham the next season. The L1 game had much more quality, no doubt.
Could see why the board might think the fans need to be revitalised by a drop in grade and “getting in the mix”, but the risks are to high, I hope.
Never seen a manager of a team at the bottom of a league being popular with the majority of the fans, regardless of playing against better teams most weeks. But them’s the rules.
I hope we win on Saturday and we remain in L1. I still have the stomach for the survival fight but can see others are starting to yearn for a l2 promotion push.
Funny on this board losses provoke twice the number of contributions as wins. I guess we are all wannabe managers. There is only one manager at the Dale and I support him.
UTD

I too support BBM and i'm a long way from calling for his head

Nor is it about going down 3-0 away to clubs with much greater prospect of moving back up not just to the Championship, but higher still

But there is something just plain wrong about the way we're starting games. I support playing football on the ground (apart from when a long lofted ball would set up an instant chance or clear our lines under severe pressure), and BBM's way of establishing his credentials seems to be to gradually - when the opportunity allows - improve the quality of player we have in order to play that type of game

McShane, O'Connell, Ryan, RND, Sanchez, McLaughlin - when they're fit, are all examples of BBM putting that into practise

It's obviously not just about that though. There has to be strength of motivation and it seems to me that whilst the players are willing to play for him, he's not yet able to transmit the kind of impetus into our play from the first minute that's required to compete consistently against better teams, or should i say teams with greater resources. That's what Hill put in place right from the word go, until the latter stages

As i said earlier in the thread, we simply cannot continue not turning up at the start of games. So it's not just a moan about a loss on a crap Tuesday night - god knows we're inured against that at Dale from long experience - but a current failing that needs addressing if we're to maintain our status in L1. No fatigue about that here, although i get your point about it

[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 10:20]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 10:23 - Feb 12 with 1333 viewsParkinsGimp

I keep reading that Lund will get up to pace...sorry fellas, he wont , he's not good enough anymore. It was some seasons ago when he left after giving 15 or so good performances. He got relegated last season and played in a crap team , he just inst good enough for League 1. Along with MJW , Dooley, Andrew & McNumpty, plus we have players who can do a job but are not fit enough like McLaughlin and McShane. Ryan my be ok for this season , but I dont see an improvement or progression from him or Done. Hendo and Alby are on the old side. Alby seems the one who brings something to the side but he's 40 YO!!!
BucketBM seems clueless , but it may also be due to the lack of squad depth and talent to pick from, having said that he has lumbered us with some more long contracts and poor players.
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 10:26 - Feb 12 with 1325 viewspioneer

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 09:57 - Feb 12 by jonahwhereru

UTD

Please no more of this .... might be a good idea to take a relegation so we can be in the mix with exciting games in league 2. Some of us endured 1000 years of fourth level football (well it felt that long) and most of them were anything but exciting or in the mix.

We should ALWAYS do whatever is necessary to avoid dropping down into the Oldham division.
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 10:27 - Feb 12 with 1321 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 22:02 - Feb 11 by borntogo

Yeah, there's an agenda - I come on here and criticise our manager and players, whoever they be, when I think they're getting it wrong. As they did tonight. I thought all (normal) fans did this.

It's really under-hand to suggest I have other motives. Please PM me and enlighten me as to why you think this is.

Dreadful display last night. I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise really. But as jonawhereru pointed out a few posts ago, there's so much more activity on here after a dreadful display than an impressive one and as far as I can see there's definitely some fans on here that seem very active on here when they have something to criticise but are nowhere to be seen when there's something to praise. It makes that criticism appear disingenuous and is perhaps where some of the frustration lies among other fans and forum users.

I'm aware that I'm probably in danger of going too far the other way and only posting to praise (the manager at least) rather than criticise in order to subconsciously try and redress the balance.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 10:30 - Feb 12 with 1310 viewsKhanTheSoup

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 08:50 - Feb 12 by fitzochris

Who said it was 'random'? Random? The very last thing. Care and planning and huge doses of luck make success.

If it so awful to watch then do not go. You are not obliged you know. F**k it. Do something else.
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 10:31 - Feb 12 with 1308 viewsjonahwhereru

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 10:26 - Feb 12 by pioneer

Please no more of this .... might be a good idea to take a relegation so we can be in the mix with exciting games in league 2. Some of us endured 1000 years of fourth level football (well it felt that long) and most of them were anything but exciting or in the mix.

We should ALWAYS do whatever is necessary to avoid dropping down into the Oldham division.

Well said
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 10:32 - Feb 12 with 1302 viewsNewbury_Dale

McShane has to start. We're useless at the back without him.
Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 10:35 - Feb 12 with 1288 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 10:30 - Feb 12 by KhanTheSoup

Who said it was 'random'? Random? The very last thing. Care and planning and huge doses of luck make success.

If it so awful to watch then do not go. You are not obliged you know. F**k it. Do something else.

Ah apathy. Acceptance of all.

Now, where have I seen an example of that recently?

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 10:35 - Feb 12 with 1289 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Sunderland v Dale on 10:23 - Feb 12 by ParkinsGimp

I keep reading that Lund will get up to pace...sorry fellas, he wont , he's not good enough anymore. It was some seasons ago when he left after giving 15 or so good performances. He got relegated last season and played in a crap team , he just inst good enough for League 1. Along with MJW , Dooley, Andrew & McNumpty, plus we have players who can do a job but are not fit enough like McLaughlin and McShane. Ryan my be ok for this season , but I dont see an improvement or progression from him or Done. Hendo and Alby are on the old side. Alby seems the one who brings something to the side but he's 40 YO!!!
BucketBM seems clueless , but it may also be due to the lack of squad depth and talent to pick from, having said that he has lumbered us with some more long contracts and poor players.

And as if to prove my point...

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024