Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gazball 08:33 - Apr 30 with 27734 viewsDWQPR

Was thinking that if more teams adopted Gazball as we’ve seen in the last couple of matches, could it leave the ball left on the halfway line with both teams sitting deep in their own halves waiting for the other team to make a move?

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Gazball on 09:24 - May 1 with 2397 viewsGloucs_R

Gazball on 09:18 - May 1 by NorthantsHoop

The only way to go for me is strong and physical, find a style that allows us to be able to play from the back through to the front more quickly. We need a strong core through centre back, centre midfield and centre forward. We get overun time and again in midfield. I have been impressed by teams like Luton and Millwall this season they have developed styles that adapt and don't break the bank doing it.

I think it's going to be really interesting to see what midfielders he brings in next season and who he tries to move on.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Gazball on 09:35 - May 1 with 2329 viewsswitchingcode

Gazball on 21:56 - Apr 30 by Wilkinswatercarrier

What a load of sh!t. If little old Brentford can do it, there are no excuses.

Next few seasons are going to be grim.......

Brentford lost the Division 1 play off final to Yeovil 10 years on they sit 9 th in the PL whilst Yeovil have just been relegated to the National league south.Unless you are a massive club things can change so enjoy your highs ( premier league isn’t a high for me ) as you never know what’s around the corner.
The championship which I’ve always said is the best league in the world is now becoming a bit like the predictable PL as far as honours won,The relegated teams will be the shortest odds to go back up and normally 2 of the 3 will so it just leaves 1 place for the rest to compete for.Southampton will piss it next year.
Gazball on 10:04 - May 1 with 2272 viewsdenhamhoop2

Gazball on 12:36 - Apr 30 by loftboy

If it wasn’t for Gazball we would probably be relegated by now.

Would've thought Beale and his fine start to the season has played at least as much a part in our staying up 11 Points from 12 games for GazBall over a season sees you go down quite often
Gazball on 10:13 - May 1 with 2261 viewsE15Hoop

Gazball on 10:04 - May 1 by denhamhoop2

Would've thought Beale and his fine start to the season has played at least as much a part in our staying up 11 Points from 12 games for GazBall over a season sees you go down quite often

Have a read of the earlier p[art of the theread DH, as we're going round in circles!
You say 11 points from 12 games would get us relegated, but we've had 8 points from the last 5 which is play-off form!
You have to factor in the significant change in dynamics, as I pointed out earlier, that GAS has brought about through both altering ths style of play and understanding where the players were emotionally and psychiologically.
On the basis alsone that he seems to be the only one of the 4 managers we've had this season that's taken the time to do that, Gazball gets my vote every day of the week.
Gazball on 10:59 - May 1 with 2148 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

There was a famous meme going round of a Wycombe v Oxford League Onematch where Wycombe were 23rd in the league for possession and Oxford 1st.

Lots of laughter and derision,

Wycombe not only won that match they also got promoted. It’s totally sustainable!
Gazball on 11:04 - May 1 with 2146 viewsmobileDeWijs

Gazball on 10:04 - May 1 by denhamhoop2

Downvoted by accident, sorry
Gazball on 11:23 - May 1 with 2073 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Gazball on 10:59 - May 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

There was a famous meme going round of a Wycombe v Oxford League Onematch where Wycombe were 23rd in the league for possession and Oxford 1st.

Lots of laughter and derision,

Wycombe not only won that match they also got promoted. It’s totally sustainable!

You're contradicting yourself. You've just spoken about 'managing expectation' because we're 'umble QPR, then talk about promotion.

The only way Hoofball will be sustainable is if we're at the top end of the table, challenging for promotion. If we're nearer the bottom, no-one is going to be happy watching us boot the ball up towards Chris Martin for 90 minutes.

I get that we won the last two games but Ainsworth's record with us so far is nothing special and the football has generally been appalling. We're staying up by default. Be interesting to see the season ticket prices, which must be imminent.
Gazball on 12:06 - May 1 with 2012 viewsqprd

Gazball on 12:36 - Apr 30 by loftboy

If it wasn’t for Gazball we would probably be relegated by now.

when ainsworth was hired, QPR were 17th and 8 points clear of the drop

in the time since he came, we got 11 points from 12 matches. we also were fortunate that reading and wigan were deducted 6 points and 3 points, respectively. we also had a fairly easy fixture list (5 of his matches were against the 7 teams below us when he got the job)

fair play to the players and manager for getting these last 2 results.... but i think its a stretch to say he did some rescue act (bearing in mind that we were in the particularly dire situation b/c he managed to lose 7 of his first 8 matches)
Login to get fewer ads

Gazball on 12:06 - May 1 with 2012 viewsRangersw12

Gazball on 11:23 - May 1 by Wegerles_Stairs

You're contradicting yourself. You've just spoken about 'managing expectation' because we're 'umble QPR, then talk about promotion.

The only way Hoofball will be sustainable is if we're at the top end of the table, challenging for promotion. If we're nearer the bottom, no-one is going to be happy watching us boot the ball up towards Chris Martin for 90 minutes.

I get that we won the last two games but Ainsworth's record with us so far is nothing special and the football has generally been appalling. We're staying up by default. Be interesting to see the season ticket prices, which must be imminent.

100%

It will be interesting to see if he changes the style for a dead rubber against Bristol as it won't be acceptable having 20% possession at home
Gazball on 12:09 - May 1 with 2006 viewsPhilmyRs

Gazball on 11:23 - May 1 by Wegerles_Stairs

Exactly this. If you play that way you have to be successful otherwise you have no chance - nobody will want to pay to see what we’re dishing up at the moment. It’s a risky strategy.

I’m clinging to what some other posters have said about Ainsworth only playing this way due to circumstances and we’ll see a team similar to the one Holloway put together where we had Rowlands, Cook, Gallen etc. I personally don’t think that will be the case and we’ll continue to be a team that sets up “not to have the ball” and try and take our key moments, regardless of opposition. Will just have to wait to see how it turns out.
Gazball on 19:11 - May 1 with 1851 viewsDannyPaddox

The cavalry now being led by Major Upheaval & General Trepidation.
[Post edited 2 May 2023 9:08]
Gazball on 08:21 - May 2 with 1706 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I love his infectious enthusiasm and passion for QPR and being the manager.

But of what I've seen (two in the flesh and two on telly) his football was bloody dreadful. I appreciate he got us out of trouble when he resorted to tactics that appear closer to his heart and thinking, and I also appreciate that because of our profligate ways, we might have to accept free flowing football - for which we're famous for - will be subject to some pragmatism going forward.

But if Gazball is now the club's grand reset, then it's not going to win us many friends and is effing dull to watch week in, week out. I accept it's been successful recently and worked for GA at Wycombe, but I do wonder if, over the course of a season, such tactics successful in Division One, will really succeed in the Championship?

However, that aside, what I'm not prepared to entertain is going to QPR games in the full knowledge that there'll be 12 minutes of injury time because our players are instructed to drop like flies each and every game. Frankly, such antics are a blight on a game that's too stupid to act upon it.

70 minutes of deep-defending; 10 minutes of hoofs; and 20 minutes of shithousery is the antithesis of QPR and for £40 plus/four hours of my life, then and it will be an epoch without me.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Gazball on 08:50 - May 2 with 1630 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What I’m hearing is that people want unbridled success and immaculate football.
Gazball on 09:18 - May 2 with 1597 viewssdm1508

I think we might see something in between what we have had the last few games and the football we saw under Warburton and Beale. GA said in an interview that the players just weren't getting what he wanted and therefore stripped it back to basics. Maybe if he can get his pattern of play and message across in pre season then we will see a slightly more expansive game. I think we might see a strong, mobile side. Maybe if we keep a couple of our 'better' players this will allow some passing football. A number of times we have heard that whilst at Wycombe he worked based on what he had. As it stands I think some of their players would have done far better than some of ours. Maybe with supposedly better resources he go after players with a few more traits than just honest and hard working so to speak and some with a bit of creativity. I think we will only truly know the direction once the comings and goings start. I know its a results business but at the same time no matter how this goes at least we have a manager who truly understands the remit and has the best interests of the club at heart. Both Warburton and Beale said they understood about the youth but then loans started to come in that went against that. I think we might see 3 or four experienced players come in (or a couple stay) but then a younger side that will help with the wage bill. I think this is going to be a huge reset, not just on the playing side but the club as a whole
Gazball on 09:38 - May 2 with 1545 viewsdaveB

Gazball on 08:50 - May 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

What I’m hearing is that people want unbridled success and immaculate football.

your not listening properly then
Gazball on 09:52 - May 2 with 1505 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Gazball on 09:38 - May 2 by daveB

your not listening properly then

Dave, three weeks ago this forum was flooded with posts about how people just want to do what it takes to stay up.

Now, after getting that exact thing, this forum is now flooded with people saying how terrible the football is.

I can’t even begin to imagine how frustrating that must be for manager.
Gazball on 09:59 - May 2 with 1486 viewsdaveB

Gazball on 09:52 - May 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

Dave, three weeks ago this forum was flooded with posts about how people just want to do what it takes to stay up.

Now, after getting that exact thing, this forum is now flooded with people saying how terrible the football is.

I can’t even begin to imagine how frustrating that must be for manager.

I don't have an issue about how we played in the last 2 games, it was needs must and we got the results partly due to what we did and partly due to Stoke being abysmal. I don't think I've ever been to an away game where I felt so confident of a win after we scored, they could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored.

My concern with the style of football was the 10 games before these 2 when we had no real pattern of play and were just lumping it forward, that's the big worry for me going forward. All this talk of reset your expectations and wanting to sign experienced players, I just don't know what we're trying to do anymore.

We've won 3 games under Ainsworth and in all 3 spent more time on the floor pretending to be injured than passing the ball to each other. It worked so great well done everyone and I'm delighted we have stayed up but if that's what we are going to need to do to win games of football going forward count me out and I don't think it will work.
Gazball on 10:24 - May 2 with 1425 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Gazball on 09:59 - May 2 by daveB

I don't have an issue about how we played in the last 2 games, it was needs must and we got the results partly due to what we did and partly due to Stoke being abysmal. I don't think I've ever been to an away game where I felt so confident of a win after we scored, they could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored.

My concern with the style of football was the 10 games before these 2 when we had no real pattern of play and were just lumping it forward, that's the big worry for me going forward. All this talk of reset your expectations and wanting to sign experienced players, I just don't know what we're trying to do anymore.

We've won 3 games under Ainsworth and in all 3 spent more time on the floor pretending to be injured than passing the ball to each other. It worked so great well done everyone and I'm delighted we have stayed up but if that's what we are going to need to do to win games of football going forward count me out and I don't think it will work.

Let’s imagine you are the manager…

Forget recent form and league position, and take away the name QPR, the history, the location, the family ties, and the emotional pull and we presented you with a club that has an average gate of a mid table League One team, that has the fourth lowest income in the division, and has an impending FFP breach incoming unless we find cheaper playing staff.

You’d look around and say, who has been in a similar position and made the most of it? You probably come up with Wycombe under GA, or recent Preston sides, or Rotherham / Huddersfield / Barnsley.

That means shithousery and industrial football.

Clive sometimes uses a saying about doing the same thing over and again and madness. One thing you can’t argue that GA and this brand of football is different.

You shouldn’t be angry about GA’s expectation adjustment either, because in my opinion it’s true. We’re still suffering from a watered down ‘Champions League in four years’ delusion. Mostly pushed by the board and Mick Beale.

We’re not in Kansas anymore, and Harry Redknapp is out of the portacabin. The board has finally realised it, and I think we should too.
[Post edited 2 May 2023 10:30]
Gazball on 10:46 - May 2 with 1365 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Gazball on 10:24 - May 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

Forget recent form and league position, and take away the name QPR, the history, the location, the family ties, and the emotional pull and we presented you with a club that has an average gate of a mid table League One team, that has the fourth lowest income in the division, and has an impending FFP breach incoming unless we find cheaper playing staff.

You’d look around and say, who has been in a similar position and made the most of it? You probably come up with Wycombe under GA, or recent Preston sides, or Rotherham / Huddersfield / Barnsley.

Clive sometimes uses a saying about doing the same thing over and again and madness. One thing you can’t argue that GA and this brand of football is different.

You shouldn’t be angry about GA’s expectation adjustment either, because in my opinion it’s true. We’re still suffering from a watered down ‘Champions League in four years’ delusion. Mostly pushed by the board and Mick Beale.

We’re not in Kansas anymore, and Harry Redknapp is out of the portacabin. The board has finally realised it, and I think we should too.

Luton have come third and are into the play-offs for the second successive season.

Coventry were being evicted from their ground and are probably in the play-offs.

Millwall (yes, Millwall) currently in the play-off places too.

And then there's newly promoted Sunderland and Blackburn in the mix too.

But yes, let's focus on coming 21st next season. Can't wait, Dorothy.
Gazball on 10:54 - May 2 with 1360 viewsdaveB

Beale and Warburton came into the same club and didn't play that way, even Holloway was more expansive than we have been under Ainsworth.

I think it's all very defeatist. Coventry, Millwall and Luton all in the playoffs, two of those were in league 2 a few years ago. Luton have a crap hole stadium and have managed it, Coventry didn't even had a stadium a few months ago.

Blackburn up there as well, Barnsley and Huddersfield made playoffs in recent seasons. no reason why we shouldn't be aiming to do that even if we are not successful and really no reason why we should be saying the only way to win is to shithouse.

There are team in this league and the one below spending less than us that don't play that way, I'm not sure why we need to accept that's the only way because it isn't.

I'm not delusional, I expect at bare minimum to be mid table and year on year I expect us to improve, thats not asking for champions league or even the premier league but I want more than watching players pretend to be hurt every week and cling onto a 1-0 win. Like i Say we had to do it the last 2 games and I have no problem with it but if thats the plan for next season as well it won't work

Next year will be hard but if we are supposed to go into it saying we are just happy to be here I'm not sure what the point is.
Gazball on 11:21 - May 2 with 1281 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Gazball on 10:54 - May 2 by daveB

Beale and Warburton came into the same club and didn't play that way, even Holloway was more expansive than we have been under Ainsworth.

I think it's all very defeatist. Coventry, Millwall and Luton all in the playoffs, two of those were in league 2 a few years ago. Luton have a crap hole stadium and have managed it, Coventry didn't even had a stadium a few months ago.

Blackburn up there as well, Barnsley and Huddersfield made playoffs in recent seasons. no reason why we shouldn't be aiming to do that even if we are not successful and really no reason why we should be saying the only way to win is to shithouse.

There are team in this league and the one below spending less than us that don't play that way, I'm not sure why we need to accept that's the only way because it isn't.

I'm not delusional, I expect at bare minimum to be mid table and year on year I expect us to improve, thats not asking for champions league or even the premier league but I want more than watching players pretend to be hurt every week and cling onto a 1-0 win. Like i Say we had to do it the last 2 games and I have no problem with it but if thats the plan for next season as well it won't work

Next year will be hard but if we are supposed to go into it saying we are just happy to be here I'm not sure what the point is.

Yep. This league is not that great, once you take out the parachute payment clubs. Just look at how Millwall are still hanging in there despite their recent run and how Blackburn could still make it if they beat them next week despite theirs.

I don't think our fans are particularly overdemanding. We haven't made the play-offs in eight seasons, including the years when we were in receipt of parachute payments. Obviously, it suits the agenda of certain underperforming executives to set aspirations low and organise bus top parades for not being relegated, but this season more than any other shows what is achievable with even a half-decent structure and team.
Gazball on 11:22 - May 2 with 1291 viewsAntti_Heinola

This idea that if you have poorer resources you have to play industrial football is utter nonsense. Luton don't play that way (it's not beautiful either, but hardly awful). We do need to be tougher, clearly - our constant collapses in form back that up. But just deciding to play attritional football for anything other than desperate measures is giving up before you've started. I know people say 'winning is all that matters' but this is the entertainment industry: playing sh!thousey, percentage football is no kind of long term plan and it will end in tears.

Weirdly, Ainsworth was the least sh!thousey player ever - always desperate to get on with the game.

Bare bones.

Gazball on 11:32 - May 2 with 1266 viewsRangersw12

Gazball on 10:54 - May 2 by daveB

Excellent post and good to see some fans still have standards
Gazball on 11:32 - May 2 with 1260 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Gazball on 11:22 - May 2 by Antti_Heinola

This idea that if you have poorer resources you have to play industrial football is utter nonsense. Luton don't play that way (it's not beautiful either, but hardly awful). We do need to be tougher, clearly - our constant collapses in form back that up. But just deciding to play attritional football for anything other than desperate measures is giving up before you've started. I know people say 'winning is all that matters' but this is the entertainment industry: playing sh!thousey, percentage football is no kind of long term plan and it will end in tears.

Weirdly, Ainsworth was the least sh!thousey player ever - always desperate to get on with the game.

Can you name any other club than Luton?

1 season in 40 where they are challenging. They are freaks.
Gazball on 11:33 - May 2 with 1248 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Gazball on 11:32 - May 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

Can you name any other club than Luton?

1 season in 40 where they are challenging. They are freaks.

Brentford and Bournmouth
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024