Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gazball 08:33 - Apr 30 with 27760 viewsDWQPR

Was thinking that if more teams adopted Gazball as we’ve seen in the last couple of matches, could it leave the ball left on the halfway line with both teams sitting deep in their own halves waiting for the other team to make a move?

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Gazball on 09:56 - May 3 with 1508 viewsE15Hoop

Gazball on 09:39 - May 3 by BrianMcCarthy

It seems to me you're the only one melting down, E15. I'm getting worried about you at this stage.

The rest of us are just chatting.

Might be true of you, Brian, but I'm certainly not convinced that it's true of a number of other posters on here.
Gazball on 09:57 - May 3 with 1498 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Gazball on 08:24 - May 3 by DejR_vu

Warburton gave us our best seasons, best finishes and best football since relegation. He did a better job than any of the others.

I agree. Shouldn’t have been let go in my opinion. My point was about Scowen.
Gazball on 10:00 - May 3 with 1481 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Gazball on 09:56 - May 3 by E15Hoop

Might be true of you, Brian, but I'm certainly not convinced that it's true of a number of other posters on here.

Even so, I think you've made your point.
You've got a loooong summer ahead of you if you try to get everyone to agree with you during the off-season.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Gazball on 10:01 - May 3 with 1468 viewsibnumber10

Gazball on 09:39 - May 3 by BrianMcCarthy

It seems to me you're the only one melting down, E15. I'm getting worried about you at this stage.

The rest of us are just chatting.

This
Gazball on 10:03 - May 3 with 1437 viewsQPR_John

Very interesting thread but has there ever been one so full of ifs and buts
Gazball on 10:04 - May 3 with 1437 viewsE15Hoop

Gazball on 10:00 - May 3 by BrianMcCarthy

You've got a loooong summer ahead of you if you try to get everyone to agree with you during the off-season.

Fools errand in any case, Brian, I know that.
Just determined, along with a few like-minded others, to put the pro GA case forward in the absence of the man being able to do it for himself.
Gazball on 10:12 - May 3 with 1407 viewsE15Hoop

Gazball on 10:01 - May 3 by ibnumber10

This

Nice of people to be so concerned about my emotional well-being, but I'm perfectly fine and up for the debate.
Gazball on 10:13 - May 3 with 1405 viewsR_from_afar

Gazball on 10:00 - May 3 by BrianMcCarthy

I think he's just concerned about the tsunami of negativity about Gareth's *perceived* style, as am I....

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

Gazball on 10:15 - May 3 with 1394 viewsE15Hoop

Gazball on 10:13 - May 3 by R_from_afar

I think he's just concerned about the tsunami of negativity about Gareth's *perceived* style, as am I....

Cheers, Afar, Me Old China.
You said that beautifully.
Gazball on 10:17 - May 3 with 1378 viewsEsox_Lucius

Gazball on 17:17 - May 2 by ingeminate

For balance he turned in one of the worst performances I've ever seen a footballer give away at Blackpool in the cup. Determined to be sent off he had to be subbed after only 26 minutes.

I try to find something positive about a player and your immediate response is to countermand it with something with which to denigrate him. Nice job!
I can't believe I got slated for quoting Santadog.

The grass is always greener.

Gazball on 10:20 - May 3 with 1367 viewsE17hoop

Gazball on 10:03 - May 3 by QPR_John

Very interesting thread but has there ever been one so full of ifs and buts

Spoke to GA at the kit sponsors' event last night. He's not stupid and 20% possession isn't the way he wants to play. He also knows what our limitations are and used the system the best way to get the points we needed. Every team who have gone toe to toe against Burnley this season have been burned so why try and outplay a team you can't compete against - some of the players recognised that too.

He couldn't play 20% possession at home - the crowd would destroy the team very quickly. However, away from home, with the home fans desperate to get a goal against an immovable object, it has its benefits. It písses teams off and they get frustrated. Wouldn't it be nice to be a QPR team no-one wants to play against?

I'm not expecting it'll be the way we play in the future and to assume it will be, based on the position we were on is a big step.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Gazball on 10:20 - May 3 with 1360 viewsPhilmyRs

Gazball on 09:55 - May 3 by E15Hoop

That's always a danger in any event, and would have been exactly the same if they'd kept Warburton on and we'd had another long losing streak.
We're losing £2m a month irrespective of who manages us and the style of football that's being played.

Agree with you that we're losing a lot of money and its unsustainable. Do you think our best way out of it is to continue the player development model? Buying low and then selling on for a decent profit following some decent development work? Or do you think getting to the Premier league and the riches that would bring is the best approach for us to get out the financial mess we're in?

Assuming you're a supporter of the player development model, (you may not be), do you think a Gareth Ainsworth QPR Team will be better for that than a Warbs one? Football is an incredibly competitive market, it's near enough impossible to find a player that has decent sell on value and other clubs have not already looked at/also keen to make a move on. Trying to sell a Team to an up and coming prospect, specifically a player that is technical, where the club in question plays a very direct style and values what it does out of possession more than what it does in possession, is going to be an incredibly hard sell, especially when you throw in the financial situation and the restrictions we're under in terms of what we can offer a player.

There are a lot of unknowns and assumptions being made and I openly admit I could be wrong, but in terms of what I've seen on the pitch, (I know you've referenced Burnley second half and Stoke as what a well drilled Ainsworth team could look like but to me that wasn't particularly good in terms of skill level), I am very worried and sceptical of what is to come.
Gazball on 10:23 - May 3 with 1350 viewsdaveB

Why is his style perceived?

He's been a manager 10 years and always played the same way just as he has in the last few months here. The formations may change but his style is to play direct football. He openly says it himself. Thats not a criticism of him, there is nothing wrong with wanting to play this way but lets not pretend this is all forced on him. You know what you get with Ainsworth just like you knew what you got with Redknapp, Warburton, JFH etc, none of them changed when they got here, they did the same as they had done everywhere else in their career.

The big thing for me this summer is the club have to decide what we are as a club. Are we manager gets what he wants and if it goes wrong we throw it in the bin and start again or do we have a playing style throughout the club, sign players and managers to fit that style and have a recruitment team to implement that. I don't have the answer but the club has to decide very quickly which way they are going to go and stick to it
Gazball on 10:30 - May 3 with 1319 viewsE15Hoop

Gazball on 10:20 - May 3 by PhilmyRs

Agree with you that we're losing a lot of money and its unsustainable. Do you think our best way out of it is to continue the player development model? Buying low and then selling on for a decent profit following some decent development work? Or do you think getting to the Premier league and the riches that would bring is the best approach for us to get out the financial mess we're in?

Assuming you're a supporter of the player development model, (you may not be), do you think a Gareth Ainsworth QPR Team will be better for that than a Warbs one? Football is an incredibly competitive market, it's near enough impossible to find a player that has decent sell on value and other clubs have not already looked at/also keen to make a move on. Trying to sell a Team to an up and coming prospect, specifically a player that is technical, where the club in question plays a very direct style and values what it does out of possession more than what it does in possession, is going to be an incredibly hard sell, especially when you throw in the financial situation and the restrictions we're under in terms of what we can offer a player.

There are a lot of unknowns and assumptions being made and I openly admit I could be wrong, but in terms of what I've seen on the pitch, (I know you've referenced Burnley second half and Stoke as what a well drilled Ainsworth team could look like but to me that wasn't particularly good in terms of skill level), I am very worried and sceptical of what is to come.

We talked a bit about this last week, Phil, didn't we, and I don't see it as being as black and white as you're describing it here.
GA's referenced Taylor Richards a lot, and like it or not, given how big a percentage that represents of the available budget for players there will be over the summer, it seems pretty clear that he's a big focal point in GA's mind.
We talked a bit about how important GA was in Ebere Eze's development, and a bit about Mehmeti as well(and Westy mentioned Kashkent as well).
The truth is that there will be this uneasy balance about short-term/long-term regardless of who's in charge and the playing style we employ, which is true of virtually every EFL club.
I trust GA 100% to understand that and to juggle all the respective balls skilfully and mindfully, and I predict that he'll be as succesful next season as we have the right to expect for any club in our financial position.
Gazball on 10:31 - May 3 with 1317 viewsBrianMcCarthy

And that's genuinely fair enough, but everyone's made their point about 200 times at this stage, which is fine and all that and that's what a forum is for, but in this case practically everyone has said that we'll have to wait until next year to see how we progress. So it just seems like banging yeer heads off the wall for now.

Anyway, peace out, as the kids probably still say.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Gazball on 10:38 - May 3 with 1285 viewsEastR

Gazball on 10:31 - May 3 by BrianMcCarthy

And that's genuinely fair enough, but everyone's made their point about 200 times at this stage, which is fine and all that and that's what a forum is for, but in this case practically everyone has said that we'll have to wait until next year to see how we progress. So it just seems like banging yeer heads off the wall for now.

Anyway, peace out, as the kids probably still say.

Career for you as a UN peacekeeper Mr Mc. Completely agree, and as I posted earlier - time will tell.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Gazball on 10:40 - May 3 with 1272 viewsPhilmyRs

Gazball on 10:30 - May 3 by E15Hoop

We talked a bit about this last week, Phil, didn't we, and I don't see it as being as black and white as you're describing it here.
GA's referenced Taylor Richards a lot, and like it or not, given how big a percentage that represents of the available budget for players there will be over the summer, it seems pretty clear that he's a big focal point in GA's mind.
We talked a bit about how important GA was in Ebere Eze's development, and a bit about Mehmeti as well(and Westy mentioned Kashkent as well).
The truth is that there will be this uneasy balance about short-term/long-term regardless of who's in charge and the playing style we employ, which is true of virtually every EFL club.
I trust GA 100% to understand that and to juggle all the respective balls skilfully and mindfully, and I predict that he'll be as succesful next season as we have the right to expect for any club in our financial position.

Would ebs have chosen Wycombe if given the chance? or did the club choose Wycome for him? Would you expect GA to talk Richards down, he's an asset, of course he has to talk him up, the other part of that question is, do you think Richards would have signed for us in the first place if it was Gareth in charge and not Beale?

You're right, we have spoken on this and neither of us will be able to tell until months/years down the line on who was right, but it does feel quite a leap of faith to read too much into Eze's development at Wycombe and some of what he's said about Richards - he hasn't started him in a game yet has he? maybe once, - as evidence that he'll be good for development. In 10 years at Wycombe (a hell of a long time as Manager), his record for developing and selling on young talent is not a major strength of the Manager.
Gazball on 10:46 - May 3 with 1249 viewsridethewave

Gazball on 08:28 - May 3 by E15Hoop

But he also gave us a long losing streak at the end of last season which he couldn't come up with an alternative plan to stop, unlike Gaz.

We clearly disagree E15 and that's fine of course, though you will probably not want to hear what I am about to say. If we had the chance of bringing Warburton back tomorrow, I would have zero hesitation in sending GA on his way. In fact if I were the board I'd be going hat in hand and begging Warburton to come back, literally every manager in the world goes through losing streaks and it's not often you sack a manager who then gets applauded off by the entire stadium.

Love Gaz for what he is and means to all of us, but I share the reservations of many on here who are only going by the past decade of GA's own experience.
Gazball on 10:52 - May 3 with 1204 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Gazball on 10:23 - May 3 by daveB

He's been a manager 10 years and always played the same way just as he has in the last few months here. The formations may change but his style is to play direct football. He openly says it himself. Thats not a criticism of him, there is nothing wrong with wanting to play this way but lets not pretend this is all forced on him. You know what you get with Ainsworth just like you knew what you got with Redknapp, Warburton, JFH etc, none of them changed when they got here, they did the same as they had done everywhere else in their career.

The big thing for me this summer is the club have to decide what we are as a club. Are we manager gets what he wants and if it goes wrong we throw it in the bin and start again or do we have a playing style throughout the club, sign players and managers to fit that style and have a recruitment team to implement that. I don't have the answer but the club has to decide very quickly which way they are going to go and stick to it

Further up the thread I posted a Wycombe fan‘s view.

Said GA has style but also stated he was pragmatic and flexible.

What’s not to like about that?
Gazball on 11:10 - May 3 with 1151 viewsE15Hoop

Gazball on 10:52 - May 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Further up the thread I posted a Wycombe fan‘s view.

Said GA has style but also stated he was pragmatic and flexible.

What’s not to like about that?

I also think E17's post in this thread is worth a read as well, as he's literally just spoken to GA directly.
Gazball on 11:23 - May 3 with 1118 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Gazball on 11:10 - May 3 by E15Hoop

I also think E17's post in this thread is worth a read as well, as he's literally just spoken to GA directly.

I missed it!

Great post. Good to hear from the horse’s mouth.
Gazball on 11:24 - May 3 with 1113 viewsJamesB1979

Gazball on 10:17 - May 3 by Esox_Lucius

I try to find something positive about a player and your immediate response is to countermand it with something with which to denigrate him. Nice job!
I can't believe I got slated for quoting Santadog.

Because the quote said we were all c.unts…..or at least that’s your starting point before they convince you otherwise.
Gazball on 11:29 - May 3 with 1097 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Gazball on 10:20 - May 3 by E17hoop

Spoke to GA at the kit sponsors' event last night. He's not stupid and 20% possession isn't the way he wants to play. He also knows what our limitations are and used the system the best way to get the points we needed. Every team who have gone toe to toe against Burnley this season have been burned so why try and outplay a team you can't compete against - some of the players recognised that too.

He couldn't play 20% possession at home - the crowd would destroy the team very quickly. However, away from home, with the home fans desperate to get a goal against an immovable object, it has its benefits. It písses teams off and they get frustrated. Wouldn't it be nice to be a QPR team no-one wants to play against?

I'm not expecting it'll be the way we play in the future and to assume it will be, based on the position we were on is a big step.

This I dont have an issue with. Away from home you do what you have to do, as many teams have when they come to LF. Not sure you'll get much with 20% possession though.

When playing at home though, it has to be more expansive else the crowd will turn.
I'm a little more upbeat after reading this. Interesting and critical summer ahead.
Gazball on 11:39 - May 3 with 1049 viewsR_from_afar

Gazball on 10:23 - May 3 by daveB

Dave, what I think is happening is that some people have decided that if his style is not the most modern and most progressive, it must be the polar opposite.

I have watched a lot of Gareth's Wycombe live over five or six seasons and it wasn't prehistoric hoofball. I will happily agree that it was not the state of the art passing game, but it was not built on aimless long balls and grinding out attritional 1-0 wins. They moved the ball forward quickly down the wings, not always aerially, and did use tall target men but it wasn't about constantly launching it down the middle to the big man. I always found Wycombe's football attacking and exciting.

I just think some people, perhaps understandably worn down by all the false dawns and upheaval we have had both this season and for many before it, are unnecessarily worried, are making the style issue too binary, and are convincing themselves that if the football isn't based on progressive passing, it must be outdated and basic. I haven't seen evidence that it will be.

As some have said, we'll see.

PS: As a footnote, some posters have said Luton are doing a lot of good things we would do well to emulate. I was trying to remember an attacking midfielder I saw do well at Wycombe. It turns out it was Onyedinma and where is he now? Luton.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Gazball on 11:46 - May 3 with 1025 viewsibnumber10

Gazball on 10:20 - May 3 by E17hoop

Thanks for posting that E17, sounds like a very sensible pragmatic approach. I hope the board / owners give him the time he needs and don’t flip flop with their expectations and decisions. We are now going into the 4th transfer window in a row with a different manager. This is going to be pivotal to get the recruitment right given the ongoing losses, and the lack of ffp headroom. It’s a massive job now but it’s also a massive opportunity for Gareth.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024