Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread 12:21 - Aug 3 with 24497 viewsHullDale

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 22:04 - Aug 5 with 4299 viewsTVOS1907

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 21:14 - Aug 5 by James1980

Considering there were no lengthy stoppages I'd be interested to know where 14 minutes of time added on came from.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12931160/rule-changes-for-new-foot

Same applies in the NL.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 22:04 - Aug 5 with 4287 views49thseason

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 21:18 - Aug 5 by jonahwhereru

It was never going to be our day when their right back flicks a corner on path that no one could ever get to.
Nobody has mentioned how the front players pressed the opposition. We were dreadful at that in the last two years. Credit to Mitchell, Rodney and Sinclair for that.
Liked Clayton a lot, not so sure about Harvey yet. SAJ, was better than at anytime last year. Nevett is really promising on the ball, nice distribution but naturally needs to strengthen a bit more to physical it out with opposition forwards.
Ebbsfleet needed to win ugly as we dominated the second half.
Tidy up on some sloppy passing in the wrong areas and get a couple of goals and I think I could enjoy it at this level.
UTD

Cant disagree with any of that, I am sort of disappointingly encouraged! If only Rodney hadn't have left his shooting boots back at Platt Lane I think we might have just edged it, Mitchell was a bit Bambi on ice at times but I think he has some of the right instincts. I thought the Ref and Liners were a bit Sunday League and probably par for the course at level 5 so I guess we will have to get used to that, I think the second assault on Sinclair was a Red but for the TV cameras being there and the offside in the 6 yard box also against Sinclair was a poor call too.
Not the win we wanted and probably need but at least they gave it a go and for 104 minutes too. Nevett was the standout performer for us.. maybe the next Dawson if he continues to develop. We will have worse days and probably win.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 22:14 - Aug 5 with 4200 viewsDaleFan7

Moulden played well today and couldn't really do anything for the goal. In defence Nevett and Keohane had really good games. EEL and John were alright but got beaten too easily at times. Clayton and Gilmour offered some substance we've not had for a couple of seasons in midfield though I did think at the latter stages of the game they were far too close to the defence when we were chasing the game. Sinclair was my MoM he caused them all sorts of problems and most of their bookings were for petty fouls because they couldn't stop him. Afuye will take some time to adjust to a much higher level and should have been replaced by Hendo earlier than he was. Rodney and Mitchell played alright and got into decent positions but our collective finishing today was absolutely woeful for a professional football team, a team with strikers even on a half decent finishing day would have put 3 or 4 past them today.

I thought our build up was too slow in the last 15-20 mins when they sat back. Long balls up to the strikers were most effective and got us in behind several times.

I know he's working with extremely limited resources but it was a little bit disappointing that McNulty didn't really change much to try and impact the game and only made 1 sub.

Certainly not the result we wanted but other teams had worse. Onto Oxford next week.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 22:30 - Aug 5 with 4109 viewsEllDale

Someone commented that BJ only made one substitution.
When I saw the bench announced I thought that he was going to struggle for attacking options.
A keeper, a right back, a centre half plus Johnson and Hendo.
I suppose Johnson could have come on but would presumably have had to replace either Clayton or Gilmour which may have disrupted the pattern?
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 22:51 - Aug 5 with 4007 viewsSandyman

Excellent debuts for Moulden and Nevett. Sinclair and Mitchell most definitely put hardworking shifts in. SAJ looks much better than last season. The shooting was mostly horrendous and as for John... a couple of positive touches in a performance of over 100 minutes of clueless negativity is absolutely not good enough.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 23:20 - Aug 5 with 3891 viewsmikehunt

Their flukey goal could have been prevented had we had someone on that post. I noticed the same thing again when they had another corner. It's not just us that does it though. How come such basics seem to have been abandoned.

If we get beaten at Oxford I fear we will struggle again this season.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 00:13 - Aug 6 with 3767 viewsswiggy

Today was a free hit, a guaranteed win for team who were two divisions above the opposition last year. Some of their players wouldn’t have caught a decent Sunday league side years ago. I listened to BJ at the fans forum on Thursday and really thought he had instilled a different mentality but hey ho here we go, different manager same shit, an absolutely appalling performance. A single shot on target in100 minutes ffs what has happened to the game I used to love
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 00:18 - Aug 6 with 3757 views_Windydale

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 18:33 - Aug 5 by Porlicks

Can we call it a day now? We obviously aren't competitive at this level. It's just embarrassing to the town. Some housing would actualy be socially benificial in spotland

windup pr1ck
Login to get fewer ads

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 00:51 - Aug 6 with 3698 views_Windydale

Not bad today. We just need to play the ball quicker and players anticipate getting the ball and pre-empt what they are going to do with it.

Ebbsfleet looked well drilled and very organized but weren't better than us overall. If we had won I would have been ecstatic tonight after so much gloom recently.
I am pretty de-sensitized to losing after years of defeats and take heart from the positives of a team looking organized, that should if seen us win. Looking forward to the next game. With more composure from the forwards and good partnerships up front, promising talent from the young defender. There's no reason why we can't put a string of wins together.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 01:17 - Aug 6 with 3659 viewsswiggy

I must admit our fan base is fantastic even finding positives losing to a team that were in the fift””senenth tier last year. It’s a joke, we should be looking back at beating Southampton home and away, being a fixture at n the FA cup 3rd round, Yes we were “Punching above our weight” and overachieving but that was down to good management, now we’re not punching at all and that’s down to bad management.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 01:40 - Aug 6 with 3631 views_Windydale

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 01:17 - Aug 6 by swiggy

I must admit our fan base is fantastic even finding positives losing to a team that were in the fift””senenth tier last year. It’s a joke, we should be looking back at beating Southampton home and away, being a fixture at n the FA cup 3rd round, Yes we were “Punching above our weight” and overachieving but that was down to good management, now we’re not punching at all and that’s down to bad management.

Not a joke. Showing a bit of a disrespect to lower league sides like Ebsfleet this season who earned there right to progress up the ladder through good management and form. Its great that there's decent football played in the lower tiers, and probably much to the disappointment of teams like Oldham, Notts County and Mansfield. A football club which isn't a household name shouldn't be expected to be annihilated. Dale have probably got less money than them to burn on players etc
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 07:54 - Aug 6 with 3398 viewsfrenzied

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 23:20 - Aug 5 by mikehunt

Their flukey goal could have been prevented had we had someone on that post. I noticed the same thing again when they had another corner. It's not just us that does it though. How come such basics seem to have been abandoned.

i cant see us not struggling due to the thin squad we have.

Some decent young talent but we will be lucky to get 25 games out of them..its too much for them .

We have Hendo but again you cant expect the fella to deliver over a sustained period.

At the forum this week a fan described not getting into the play offs as a failure.

For me just staying in this league will be a success.

Hopefully the board will stick with Jim even if its looking grim after 20 games or so..hes clearly trying to bring in the right sort of behaviours and work ethic onto the pitch,,i just hope he can find some decent talent with the funds available
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 08:59 - Aug 6 with 3263 viewsNorthernDale

As Windydale states and I agree 100%, we need to play the ball quicker and as I have said on another post, our football was pedestrian at times and that worries me, in that in Jim, have we another clone of BBM and Stockdale. Jim has said in the past he likes possession football or as he calls it 'Total Options'. This style of football we generally play, allows the opposition to get organised and everyone behind the ball.

There was positives in that we dominated the game, which Jim highlighted in his post match comments, but sadly we don't get points for having the most possession. Again I will highlight the overall performance of Nevett, Clayton and Sinclair, was good and we may have a future talent in Nevett, if his development is managed.

However we will encounter better teams then Ebbsfleet (who to be fair, they game with a plan and it worked) and if Jim becomes fixated with his preferred style, we could struggle this season. One thing was certain, we need at least two or three players to strengthen the team and Jim needs to realise he is not managing a youth team, but is a manager, who needs to win games.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 09:38 - Aug 6 with 3154 viewselectricblue

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 08:59 - Aug 6 by NorthernDale

As Windydale states and I agree 100%, we need to play the ball quicker and as I have said on another post, our football was pedestrian at times and that worries me, in that in Jim, have we another clone of BBM and Stockdale. Jim has said in the past he likes possession football or as he calls it 'Total Options'. This style of football we generally play, allows the opposition to get organised and everyone behind the ball.

There was positives in that we dominated the game, which Jim highlighted in his post match comments, but sadly we don't get points for having the most possession. Again I will highlight the overall performance of Nevett, Clayton and Sinclair, was good and we may have a future talent in Nevett, if his development is managed.

However we will encounter better teams then Ebbsfleet (who to be fair, they game with a plan and it worked) and if Jim becomes fixated with his preferred style, we could struggle this season. One thing was certain, we need at least two or three players to strengthen the team and Jim needs to realise he is not managing a youth team, but is a manager, who needs to win games.

Quite a throughly entertaining game only difference was that Ebbsfleet where more of a team that Dale.
Dale where all to huff n puff with no end result as it a tad rushed as though they where under pressure to win and put an end to the drivel of the past few seasons..

The squad needs a few more faces and i dont think the team are to far away from getting it right..

Outlook is positive on the field and after a few more matches we will see dale in a better light..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 11:27 - Aug 6 with 2883 viewsDaleFan7

I do think people are being a bit unfair on Ebbsfleet. Moulden made a good save from a corner in the first half, he made another really good save in the second to keep it at 1-0, they also hit the bar. Their keeper had nothing to do.

If we could have scored 3 or 4, they could have done and probably would have deserved to more.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 11:39 - Aug 6 with 2846 viewsDalenet

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 23:20 - Aug 5 by mikehunt

Hilly was one of the TV pundits and he said the same - the writing was on the wall after the first two corners and we should have done better for the third corner. He also said we played far too slow - we needed to get behind their line at pace.

In an interview post match with the away manager he said that they had seen all of our pre season games and noticed we marked zonally and not man on man. They worked on the set pieces based on that.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 11:43]
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 12:01 - Aug 6 with 2788 viewsD_Alien

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 11:39 - Aug 6 by Dalenet

Hilly was one of the TV pundits and he said the same - the writing was on the wall after the first two corners and we should have done better for the third corner. He also said we played far too slow - we needed to get behind their line at pace.

In an interview post match with the away manager he said that they had seen all of our pre season games and noticed we marked zonally and not man on man. They worked on the set pieces based on that.

One presumes BJ will have seen that post match interview

I'm not drawing any conclusions at all from yesterday, but we do need to see learning taking place

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 12:20 - Aug 6 with 2712 viewsSandyman

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 11:39 - Aug 6 by Dalenet

Zonal marking at corners was a big downfall during the BBM and Stockdale terms as well. Big Jim was there to see it doesn't work well with our calibre of player, so why persist with it?

If we can see it and Ebbsfleet's manager can see it...

Not leaving a man up when defending a corner as an outlet for a breakaway or at least keeping the ball away from danger when cleared... heads were shaken in disbelief yet again yesterday.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 13:00 - Aug 6 with 2584 viewspioneer

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 08:59 - Aug 6 by NorthernDale

Head coach remember, not manager.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 18:14 - Aug 6 with 2234 viewsBrierls

I thought we played OK. With better finishing (and a clear penalty) we could have been talking about an impressive start to our season.

There was a clear style of play and true to what Jim said in interviews, we mixed up short and long passes. I thought the forwards pressed well.

Moulden looks good, Keohane had a better game than any last season (should have scored with the header). John is coming in for some stick but I think he has a steady but unspectacular game. The pairing of EEL and Nevitt looked quite solid bar a bit of naivety from Nevitt. He definitely grew into the game and I’d have no qualms in him starting next Saturday.

We were tidy in midfield but a little bit pedestrian at times, we didn’t move the ball quickly enough. Clayton brought everything I expected given his pedigree, Gilmour kept things simple. I do think Clayton and Gilmour are a little too similar, neither will break lines in midfield. I think we should have seen Johnson introduced for one of them, probably Gilmour.

Sinclair was very bright in the first half, I really do think he could be a key player for us this season. Just don’t let him take free kicks. Wow. I think Afuye struggled with the step up but it wasn’t through lack of effort. I’m still encouraged to see what he can do.

Rodney and Mitchell worked hard up front, there are signs of a partnership there. Mitchell is better in the air than I expected. Obviously the finishing was woeful but we know Rodney is better than what he showed yesterday.

Ebbsfleet looked bang average to me but they ground out a result so have to give them credit for that. I know we’ll say ‘another set piece goal’ but it was a freak goal with that flick. Yes we should have had a player closer to their lad but I’m not losing too much sleep on that alone.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 18:48 - Aug 6 with 2116 viewsA_Newby

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 21:14 - Aug 5 by James1980

Considering there were no lengthy stoppages I'd be interested to know where 14 minutes of time added on came from.

Under the new rules we can expect matches to routinely have 4-5 minutes added time in the first half and around 10+ minutes in the second half.

Just because of the “extra” playing time we can expect a few things.

1. More goals.
2. More injuries.
3. More yellow and red cards. (There were 7 yellow cards in this match).

Add into the mix the new rules about yellow cards for “timewasting” offences that delay the restart of play.

The Dale players need to get used to these rules quickly as we only have a small squad and cannot afford players to be missing for accumulated yellow cards.

I think the bit about requiring football academy players to take refereeing courses, so they understand the rules better is a good idea.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 19:08 - Aug 6 with 2050 viewsBrierls

I just watched the highlights. I thought Clayton was making us tick but I didn’t quite realise how good he was with the ball over the top. If teams defend with a high back line we can definitely get in behind with that kind of ability.

Great interviews from Jim and Clayton too.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 19:33 - Aug 6 with 1986 views49thseason

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 19:08 - Aug 6 by Brierls

I just watched the highlights. I thought Clayton was making us tick but I didn’t quite realise how good he was with the ball over the top. If teams defend with a high back line we can definitely get in behind with that kind of ability.

Great interviews from Jim and Clayton too.

Agreed, if Clayton can play that ball over the top consistently, there is a case for bringing Sinclair inside more as he is fantastically quick off the mark and sprints like an Olympic athlete, His pace will terrify most defenders but he has to be in a position to cause damage, not always stuck out on the wing.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 20:19 - Aug 6 with 1892 viewsShun

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 00:13 - Aug 6 by swiggy

Today was a free hit, a guaranteed win for team who were two divisions above the opposition last year. Some of their players wouldn’t have caught a decent Sunday league side years ago. I listened to BJ at the fans forum on Thursday and really thought he had instilled a different mentality but hey ho here we go, different manager same shit, an absolutely appalling performance. A single shot on target in100 minutes ffs what has happened to the game I used to love

Where did you see we only had one shot on target? I’m not disputing it, it just seems very low considering we had 18 shots in total.
Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 21:56 - Aug 6 with 1697 viewsdingdangblue

Ebbsfleet United (H) - Match Thread on 20:19 - Aug 6 by Shun

Where did you see we only had one shot on target? I’m not disputing it, it just seems very low considering we had 18 shots in total.

I've been told this before. A shot on target only counts if the keeper saves it apparently. So Rodney's flick in the 1st half which was cleared by the defender wouldn't have counted as a shot on target even though it was on target. Hendo had a header on target which was blocked by a defender - same. I think our only shot saved on target was by Afuye just after ht.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024