Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread 04:56 - Dec 23 with 24884 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Its Friday night close to midnight here in America so basically 6 am in London and no Match Thread yet.
Are we waiting for E17Hoops again or has he thrown in the towel .
I know the entire fanbase is dissapointed with the SW defeat but I expect a reaction from the boys tomorrow / today .
QPR 1 Southampton 1
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 18:46 - Dec 23 with 2176 viewsDamo1962

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 18:29 - Dec 23 by ManinBlack

Sorry io hear that Ted hope you get better soon and 2024 is kinder to us all. Following this bunch of cowards this year has been hell and made me sick, basically of them.

Still I knew what to expect today. A big and noisy away support means our heroes are too afraid to go near the penalty box so we score nil and get zero points. We saw it against Sunderland, Coventry and Plymouth with the loudest away fans producing zero goals for us. The only thing preventing Plymouth winning too was getting a man sent off.

After our mini new manager bounce we are back to not scoring and losing. I don't count the one at Wednesday as they scored it for us. What is a concern is when we start on a non winning run it can go on for sometime. Millwall might not be very good but our track record in London derbies over recent decades has been lamentable.

Looking at the bottom three mirrors the bottom three in the Premiership. The clubs struggling because they don't have the financial means to keep up with the better off clubs. The Championship is now distorted by money, particularly from parachute payments, just like the Premier league. Like I say I am just sick of it. The beautiful game has turned ugly for clubs like us.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 18:32]

Lotus Road must be the most accommodating ground for away fans.Should have stuck them somewhere else years ago. It's definitely making a difficult job on the pitch...even more difficult.I can see us going into the second week of Jan having lost the lot...these players have form for this type of thing. Honeymoon ended when we couldn't beat Plymouth or Sheff Weds. They are the results that will matter...not today's.
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 18:55 - Dec 23 with 2135 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 18:46 - Dec 23 by Damo1962

Lotus Road must be the most accommodating ground for away fans.Should have stuck them somewhere else years ago. It's definitely making a difficult job on the pitch...even more difficult.I can see us going into the second week of Jan having lost the lot...these players have form for this type of thing. Honeymoon ended when we couldn't beat Plymouth or Sheff Weds. They are the results that will matter...not today's.

Yeah things are better but for sure that honeymoon is over and it's back to the grind! It's back to looking like we are not going to score unless, as others have said Chair finds the net from range. Rarely does anyone risk it and show up on the back stick. The hope went a bit over the top maybe, but it sure is back to the realistic feelings now and things are serious. That loss to Wednesday and the missed chance against 10 man Plymouth still raw. It is better than Jimmy Nail and his cowboy boots and that's that. Could be worse...could be better...pffft

Gotta be realistic though, we were never gonna get one over on them, there is a big gap in the two squads on show today. I think it really is the feeling of those last two games lingering around as really an outcome of just a 1-nil ain't all that bad. A while ago I would of been expecting to concede at the very least 4. Keep going guys.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 19:02]
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 18:58 - Dec 23 with 2110 viewssixnil

Dykes's positioning is awful..he needs some serious mentoring on this, he just doesn't read the game well..don't know if it can be coached to the extent needed in this league ..the far post was lonely today and could have bought us some success...
We had several opportunities today to use an overlap and get round the back with players in the box, instead we went for glory...again would have given us a good chance...
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 18:59 - Dec 23 with 2102 viewsNed_Kennedys

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 18:40 - Dec 23 by The_Beast1976

The vwry weak links in the starting 11 are Dozzell and Dykes. The weak links after the starting 11 are all of them!!!

We desperately need a decent striker, and someone much better than Dozzell in midfield

Dykes is far from a ‘very weak link’.

Man of the Match for me today: excellent hold up play and passes to team mates: our only hope of getting a goal ended when he was erroneously substituted.
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 19:04 - Dec 23 with 2042 viewsStreathamRanger

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 18:59 - Dec 23 by Ned_Kennedys

Man of the Match for me today: excellent hold up play and passes to team mates: our only hope of getting a goal ended when he was erroneously substituted.

I too thought Dykes did okay today. Held it up an awful lot better than Armstrong when he come on who looked like he didn't really know what he was doing. My MOTM was Dunne. Solid today and played a couple of great cross field balls to get Chair on his way. Unfair to dig anyone out today really but I guess it's still frustration spilling over from not getting anything against Wednesday.
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 19:07 - Dec 23 with 2022 viewstraininvain

Not feeling too despondent as a couple of months ago we were losing that game 3/4 nil and we were in the game until right near the end. But on the other hand we didn’t test their keeper to make a proper save all game.

We definitely faded as the game went on and our subs were not up to the level required which is a reflection of our lack of squad depth. It got progressively worse with each sub and we were holding on for the last 5 mins despite having a man advantage.

I found Dykes frustrating today. He showed a couple of nice touches to hold up play but I lost count of the number of times a ball was played into the box and he was on his heels. Some very presentable opportunities for a striker with a natural instinct for scoring goals which sadly isn’t Dykes.
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 19:11 - Dec 23 with 1991 viewsThe_Beast1976

I beg to differ. Works hard and holds it up well, but as a striker who is expected to score goals he is a weak link
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 19:20 - Dec 23 with 1935 viewsDiscodroids

Ned you know i love you baby but We might as well have Barry the Ballroom Dancer from Hi-de-Hi and Colin Stagg upfront.

I can't remember a worse collective of strikers at the club since the late 70's.

weaker than the skin on the top of frankie fraser's fermented apricot and tate & lyle prison hooch brewed in the slop out bucket.

Not saying i know the answer, and were more broke than a Lotus 123 software salesman in silicon valley to replace them , but straight up mate, they couldn't fu ck the rip in a fur coat . ;-)
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 19:23]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Login to get fewer ads

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 19:23 - Dec 23 with 1926 viewsNed_Kennedys

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 19:11 - Dec 23 by The_Beast1976

I beg to differ. Works hard and holds it up well, but as a striker who is expected to score goals he is a weak link

Best forward we have at the club by a mile and finances will not allow us to sign anyone ‘better’.
Ridiculous to say is a weak link.

Ironically the best crosses of the game came in as soon as Dykes was substituted.
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 19:48 - Dec 23 with 1810 viewsNorthantsHoop

Thought we were unlucky today, switched off for their goal giving away a needless freekick which Manning swung in very well and left guy at back post easy finish from flick on. We need a striker someone who can get on the end of things in the box, Dykes and Armstrong are not good enough at the basics of sniffing out goal opportunities.
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 19:55 - Dec 23 with 1778 viewsmart_Goblin

Not long got home but apart from the general frustration of losing the game I really thought we did ok. Not read this thread back yet to see what people’s thoughts are , will do that tomorrow or later.
But I was hugely encouraged by the press, the turnover and the set up . We played some ok stuff but of course , we just don’t create much in the way of big chances .
Been one of Dunne's biggest critics but I thought he was great today.

The problem is we look better against the better sides because they come out and play which leaves gaps for us to do the same . Millwall will be a grind and that’s where we struggle . Huge game nonetheless.
But today was a billon times better than anything under GA and if we stay up or not, give me that any day x
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 20:17 - Dec 23 with 1661 viewsDamo1962

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 19:23 - Dec 23 by Ned_Kennedys

Best forward we have at the club by a mile and finances will not allow us to sign anyone ‘better’.

Ironically the best crosses of the game came in as soon as Dykes was substituted.

With respect, he is definitely the best striker at QPR...but he is still gash at this level. Of course alongside a better striker ala Austin,some of the pressure would be of him.Armstrong and Kelman will struggle in L1 as well. Haven't seen Kohli to judge him yet...but not too hopeful. "Our cup overfloweth" 🎄🎄
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 20:22 - Dec 23 with 1660 viewslassel

With the proviso that I’m clearly a miserable bastard, I thought that was a pretty depressing watch.

Saints never got out of first gear and ultimately never had to. The only work Bazanu got all day was throwing his cap on a couple of pea rollers.

Thought Chair was at his most frustrating today, constantly trying to do too much and holding on too long again, but the most worrying bit about today is that Marti put 2x RBs (albeit crap ones) on the bench and then brought on a 37 year old who can’t get above a waddle in their place instead, meaning 3 places on the bench are wasted, albeit we don’t have much in reserve to take their places.
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 20:31 - Dec 23 with 1595 viewsStreathamRanger

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 20:22 - Dec 23 by lassel

With the proviso that I’m clearly a miserable bastard, I thought that was a pretty depressing watch.

Saints never got out of first gear and ultimately never had to. The only work Bazanu got all day was throwing his cap on a couple of pea rollers.

Thought Chair was at his most frustrating today, constantly trying to do too much and holding on too long again, but the most worrying bit about today is that Marti put 2x RBs (albeit crap ones) on the bench and then brought on a 37 year old who can’t get above a waddle in their place instead, meaning 3 places on the bench are wasted, albeit we don’t have much in reserve to take their places.

That is a very negative take. Watched lots online this year but today was my first visit to Lotus Road since Bristol city at the end of last season. I decided then that I couldn't face going again while Ainsworth was in charge. I enjoyed the game today. Thought we kept going to the end and played some decent stuff. I like how we're trying to play out from the back and the high press in the second half really put Southampton under pressure at the start of the second half. With a couple of clever additions in January, I think we'll be just about okay.
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 20:48 - Dec 23 with 1530 viewsconnell10

I thought we definitely deserved a point today .

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 21:16 - Dec 23 with 1438 viewsAndybrat

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 17:31 - Dec 23 by StreathamRanger

I don't think we played badly today. Got done by a well worked set piece routine. Other than that the defence were pretty solid. I thought Dunne was back towards his best. We took the game to them. We know we don't have the fire power but they moved the ball pretty well today and made southampton really work for the three points. Look how they celebrated the win at the final whistle. They knew they had fought bloody hard to win it.

100% I know the result wasn’t good but there was not a difference in class. Not read all the comments but was right behind Andre’s shot in 1 st half and going in.
I had a non QPR mate with me who said Chair best player on the pitch 1st half. You can see the improvements, noting I wasn’t in Sheffield
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 21:19 - Dec 23 with 1416 viewsNed_Kennedys

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 19:20 - Dec 23 by Discodroids

Ned you know i love you baby but We might as well have Barry the Ballroom Dancer from Hi-de-Hi and Colin Stagg upfront.

I can't remember a worse collective of strikers at the club since the late 70's.

weaker than the skin on the top of frankie fraser's fermented apricot and tate & lyle prison hooch brewed in the slop out bucket.

Not saying i know the answer, and were more broke than a Lotus 123 software salesman in silicon valley to replace them , but straight up mate, they couldn't fu ck the rip in a fur coat . ;-)
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 19:23]

Haha mate yeah I know Dykes is the best of a bad bunch but the service the poor fecker gets is less than useless. Anyone who watched today’s game saw how badly Armstrong and Kelman did instead of Dykes.

We need a natural goal scorer to play off Dykes: I’d try all out to get Nakhi Wells back on loan from Bristol where he never seems to get a game. Past his best but knows where the bloody goal is for sure.
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 21:44 - Dec 23 with 1340 viewsmart_Goblin

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 20:22 - Dec 23 by lassel

Bloody hell. That’s the spirit
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 22:10 - Dec 23 with 1282 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 19:23 - Dec 23 by Ned_Kennedys

Best out of 3 terrible strikers ain't a good thing, well it doesn't make him any good. Not getting at him just like many of us can't believe how some people desperately want/have defend him.

Yeah he scraps away(a bit)he has 2 arms and 2 legs but that's about it. A striker who doesnt(cant) score goals IS a weak link...just as in if your goalie is Tony Roberts...a goalie who can't save shots is a weak link.

Not his fault Dykes, not getting at him, there is no one better here in that position(apparently)but that in its self is a problem. Not getting at him but certainly not singing his praises.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2023 12:33]
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 23:34 - Dec 23 with 1145 viewsQPROslo

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 18:40 - Dec 23 by The_Beast1976

The vwry weak links in the starting 11 are Dozzell and Dykes. The weak links after the starting 11 are all of them!!!

We desperately need a decent striker, and someone much better than Dozzell in midfield

Both Dykes and Dozzell are ok. Dykes doesn't score so much but he makes us better down the middle of the park. Dozzell links our play in defensive midfield, and as at SW our midfield disintegrated when he was subbed late on. I thought he was fouled when the Ref gave them the free kick they scored from, but have'nt seen it again.
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 23:58 - Dec 23 with 1098 viewsAntti_Heinola

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 21:19 - Dec 23 by Ned_Kennedys

Haha mate yeah I know Dykes is the best of a bad bunch but the service the poor fecker gets is less than useless. Anyone who watched today’s game saw how badly Armstrong and Kelman did instead of Dykes.

We need a natural goal scorer to play off Dykes: I’d try all out to get Nakhi Wells back on loan from Bristol where he never seems to get a game. Past his best but knows where the bloody goal is for sure.

The service thing is s a myth. Start of second half three superb balls played across the box, he wasn’t in the same postcode - and he never is. He had a decent game overall, but he just does not know how to position himself during attacks. It’s painfully obvious.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 23:59]

Bare bones.

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 00:36 - Dec 24 with 1029 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 23:58 - Dec 23 by Antti_Heinola

The service thing is s a myth. Start of second half three superb balls played across the box, he wasn’t in the same postcode - and he never is. He had a decent game overall, but he just does not know how to position himself during attacks. It’s painfully obvious.

Thats it isn't it, he's not a terrible player and don't want to get on at him but not a goal scorer...which is a pretty big flaw for a striker. Never seems to be there and we are making a lot of excuses for him.

There are qualities there and it's all good saying how playing with a natural goal scorer is when he's good and all but that ain't how we are setting up so that's a pointless argument right now. I guess you have Chair and Willock playing off him but I really don't see him creating chances or openings for them at all or enough. It's a difficult one.
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 00:52 - Dec 24 with 1001 viewsStanisgod

If Dykes is our hope for a goal, God help us. There was a lovely cross in the first half and he just literally stood still and watched it go across him 2 yards away. No attempt to move for it, anticipate it, nothing. Unless it's directly to him it's not happening.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 01:07 - Dec 24 with 981 viewsNed_Kennedys

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 23:58 - Dec 23 by Antti_Heinola

Three ‘superb’ balls? By whom? Distribution from our wide was as usual below standard: more often it was a long distance punt not threatening the goal.
Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 04:43 - Dec 24 with 906 viewsThe_Beast1976

Saints V Our Choirboys Match Thread on 01:07 - Dec 24 by Ned_Kennedys

Three ‘superb’ balls? By whom? Distribution from our wide was as usual below standard: more often it was a long distance punt not threatening the goal.

It seems the majority agree that Lyndon is not good enough for what we actually need him for (scoring goals). His lack of anticipation and positioning for anything near the goalmouth is absolutely terrible. He really is not the answer. We desperately need someone who knows how to gamble around the box and who actually poses a goal threat.

BTW, is your name Lyndon by any chance?
[Post edited 24 Dec 2023 4:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024