Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR New Deals 17:48 - May 8 with 7892 viewsfraserc

Looks like Dixon-Bonner and Joe Walsh are in line for new contracts according to WLS:

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/cifuentes-tips-dixon-bonner-for-bright-futur

Looks like they did enough at Coventry if that was Marti getting a look at them before the season ended.
QPR New Deals on 18:04 - May 8 with 4769 viewsPaddyhoops

Good news . Always liked EDB . Good passer of the ball and composed.
Joe plays like he did at Coventry. He’ll be a huge asset.
QPR New Deals on 07:56 - May 9 with 4279 viewsNorthernr

We definitely want EDB to stay, the question is more whether he'll sign it not whether he'll get offered it. 23 years old now, 24 during next season, and desperate to play regularly.
QPR New Deals on 08:40 - May 9 with 4153 viewsdmm

QPR New Deals on 07:56 - May 9 by Northernr

We definitely want EDB to stay, the question is more whether he'll sign it not whether he'll get offered it. 23 years old now, 24 during next season, and desperate to play regularly.

If Marti switches to 433 EDB should get more game time as a box to box player in the middle 3. I hope he stays.
QPR New Deals on 08:41 - May 9 with 4147 viewsNorthernr

QPR New Deals on 08:40 - May 9 by dmm

If Marti switches to 433 EDB should get more game time as a box to box player in the middle 3. I hope he stays.

I've been surprised he wasn't used more. Impressed when used early in Cifuentes time here and seems like much more his sort of midfielder than some of the others we've got. Perhaps prioritised experience and physicality in a relegation battle.
QPR New Deals on 09:40 - May 9 with 3973 viewsrobith

QPR New Deals on 08:41 - May 9 by Northernr

I've been surprised he wasn't used more. Impressed when used early in Cifuentes time here and seems like much more his sort of midfielder than some of the others we've got. Perhaps prioritised experience and physicality in a relegation battle.

I also think that's why Hodge didn't get more gametime too - on the run in I think Marti got to an 11 he implicitly trusted to get the job done, but as we had to wait so late for safety, he didn't want to experiment too much
QPR New Deals on 09:41 - May 9 with 3967 viewsNorthernr

QPR New Deals on 09:40 - May 9 by robith

I also think that's why Hodge didn't get more gametime too - on the run in I think Marti got to an 11 he implicitly trusted to get the job done, but as we had to wait so late for safety, he didn't want to experiment too much

The bit I'm really interested in now is if that's Cifuentes deciding that this is the Championship and that's how it's got to be, or whether he was just picking a horse for a course and working with what he had. Whether August will just see a version of what we've had for the last five months, or whether he's intending to really rip in and transform us into something completely different.
QPR New Deals on 09:49 - May 9 with 3923 viewsdmm

QPR New Deals on 09:41 - May 9 by Northernr

The bit I'm really interested in now is if that's Cifuentes deciding that this is the Championship and that's how it's got to be, or whether he was just picking a horse for a course and working with what he had. Whether August will just see a version of what we've had for the last five months, or whether he's intending to really rip in and transform us into something completely different.

Yes, indeed. Would you not think it'll depend on the transfer budget? If we do get an early windfall from an Eze sale he could bring in enough quality to switch to his favoured 433. If not, he could stay with 4231.

In your last match review you pointed out Cifuentes' pragmatic approach. He is prepared to work with what he's got to get the best out of them.
QPR New Deals on 10:03 - May 9 with 3858 viewsrobith

QPR New Deals on 09:41 - May 9 by Northernr

I think it will depend on what we can bring in - you touched on it in your reports and previews, but he's incredibly practical. I think our approach will reflect what we're able to assemble through algoball
Login to get fewer ads

QPR New Deals on 10:08 - May 9 with 3832 viewsnick_hammersmith

QPR New Deals on 09:49 - May 9 by dmm

Yes, indeed. Would you not think it'll depend on the transfer budget? If we do get an early windfall from an Eze sale he could bring in enough quality to switch to his favoured 433. If not, he could stay with 4231.

In your last match review you pointed out Cifuentes' pragmatic approach. He is prepared to work with what he's got to get the best out of them.

You've got to hope that regardless of outgoings, or Eze money, we have a look at the Forward line in the summer.

Starting a season hoping that Dykes, Armstrong and crossing fingers for Kolli, will return 30+ goals between them just won't do it.

I realise there are about 72 clubs looking for a 20+ goal striker, so it might just be the holy grail, but they are out there.

We were so lucky last year with injuries. The squad past the first 11 is still very thin in all areas. The odds on our first choice CB pairing playing every game must be astronomical
QPR New Deals on 10:11 - May 9 with 3795 viewsNorthernr

QPR New Deals on 10:08 - May 9 by nick_hammersmith

You've got to hope that regardless of outgoings, or Eze money, we have a look at the Forward line in the summer.

Starting a season hoping that Dykes, Armstrong and crossing fingers for Kolli, will return 30+ goals between them just won't do it.

I realise there are about 72 clubs looking for a 20+ goal striker, so it might just be the holy grail, but they are out there.

We were so lucky last year with injuries. The squad past the first 11 is still very thin in all areas. The odds on our first choice CB pairing playing every game must be astronomical

We don't even need a 20 goal striker at the moment, even somebody capable of posting Dexter Blackstock-type 12 goals a season would be a substantial step up on what we've got up front now.
QPR New Deals on 10:13 - May 9 with 3787 viewslondonscottish

QPR New Deals on 09:49 - May 9 by dmm

The recent WLS pods have been quite good; Gallen pointing out how Marti ended up with half a team of 6+ footers on the pitch which has transformed our set piece effectiveness both in attack and in defence.

Doesn't strike me as Marti's preferred long term solution but certainly effective for the last couple of months.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

QPR New Deals on 10:15 - May 9 with 3775 viewsQPROslo

I'm still unsure about EDB. I think he gave the ball away the first 3 times he got it in the Coventry game but then did well in advance of Chair's goal, which roughly reflect his earlier performance this season.
QPR New Deals on 10:17 - May 9 with 3770 viewscpgerber

we could get lucky and have 30m to spend if Eze, Chair and JCS moves all go through for the figures going around. Could do pretty decent squad revamp with that.

But personally I would like us to see some tweaks built around at least 5 or 6 we have now. A rip it up and start again approach always scares me.

Save some money for January to strengthen then if needed.

I suppose it all depends on what the club’s realistic target is for this season. A sensible approach imho would be to steady the ship, get us a safe mid table finish and then build from there.
QPR New Deals on 10:20 - May 9 with 3744 viewsNorthernr

QPR New Deals on 10:15 - May 9 by QPROslo

I'm still unsure about EDB. I think he gave the ball away the first 3 times he got it in the Coventry game but then did well in advance of Chair's goal, which roughly reflect his earlier performance this season.

Passing completion/accuracy from the Cov game starters...

Hayden 93.3%
Paal 89.6%
EDB 87.2
Fox 87
Cannon 86.2
Andersen 84
Cook 79.6
Chair 78.8
Dykes 70.4
Willock 66.7 (!!)

Touches from the Cov starters...
Paal 84
Fox 83
EDB 60
Chair 59
Cook 50
Cannon 49
Dykes 37
Hayden/Andersen 35
Willock 25 (!!)
QPR New Deals on 10:42 - May 9 with 3646 viewsHunterhoop

QPR New Deals on 10:03 - May 9 by robith

I think it will depend on what we can bring in - you touched on it in your reports and previews, but he's incredibly practical. I think our approach will reflect what we're able to assemble through algoball

I think that’s a good point, Rob. Cifuentes does appear to be extremely pragmatic and someone who really values winning. He’s not a Russell Martin, Thomas Frank “we were the real winners” type. He is very competitive, and I suspect a bit of a perfectionist. He wants to win. If that means picking horses for a particular course, running a system that gets results over his personal vision or preference for how to play football, I think he will do that. I agree with you, I think he’ll adapt approach to whoever we are able to bring in and what our squad looks like come Aug.

No doubt he will want a forward or two who can get 10-15 goals. He needs someone he can trust up there.

In midfield, it’s clear he rates Sam Field. He was he first player the club renewed under him. He started the entire run in after being rested for a couple of games, and Field was the midfielder getting goals (4 in the last 11, I believe). Colback has one season left (doubt we’ll take the 3rd year) so EDB has a natural pathway into the team the season after next if he sticks with it. Hayden coming back would reduce his game time next season, but with injuries and the number of games, you need at least 4 CMs, just like you need 4 forwards.

I think the bigger issue for Cifuentes will be wide forwards. We likely lose Willock, who knows about Chair, Albert’s retired…that leaves Smyth. He needs reinforcements here. It’s clear he likes Anderson at 10 pulling the strings. In a 433 or 4231 system, that gives him 5 players (Field, Colback, Hayden, EDB, Anderson) to play centrally, although no way can Anderson play in a “2”. Alex Aoraha will also be back from injury next year, and is highly thought of. He could make it and become the 6th man available to play in the middle of the park. We don’t always need to sign players. Josh Laurent a good example of us not giving opportunities to someone who now plays centre mid and captains a side in the same league. Centre midfield looks very strong to me if we somehow signed Hayden or someone else.

Back to the wide forwards, this is our biggest area of need whether he plays 433 or 4231. He could be very light. When you combine it with the issue at centre forward, it’s that area of the pitch I think the whole pre-season and signings will be focused on. You can’t finish top half if you don’t score and it’s very hard to finish top half with a negative GD. Cardiff are the exception here!

The other area of the pitch we might need reinforcement is defence, especially if we sell JCS. If you look at the squad at the defence currently you can see Paal and Larkeche at Left back. Fox can play LB or CB. On the right he has Cannon and Dunne, and arguably Drewe. Dunne can play RB or CB. In the middle he has Cook and JCS. There’s not really anything else coming through. If you sell JCS you need a starting centre back (with Fox and Dunne as cover) and you probably need a right back too because Drewe is simply not up to this level, so you have 8 players available across the 4 spots. Dunne and Fox give us flexibility, so you have 4 players who can play at centre half and have lots of experience at doing so, but you’d also have 3 players capable at playing each fullback spot. That should give us the squad needed for the season. If you sell Cannon you might need two right backs signed.

I would suspect from the main squad:

Out:
Dykes
JCS
Willock
Cannon
Begovic
Adomah

In:
2 x centre forwards (1 a starter, 1 a back up although possible this could be Kolli)
1 x Centre half (starter)
1-2 x right backs (1 starter, 1 a young player looking towards the following year or two)
Hayden/A N Other central midfielder
1-2 x wide forwards (1 a big signing/starter)
1 x goalkeeper (starter)

No idea who those players could/would be. Sorba Thomas would seem an obvious one to go in for but expect him to have many suitors.
[Post edited 9 May 11:12]
QPR New Deals on 11:06 - May 9 with 3542 viewsdaveB

Hunters post sums it up brilliantly
For me if Eze goes and we have a chunk of change to spend we need to put together a squad which can last 2/3 seasons with a few sellable assets in there as well to develop, get ourselves in a position this summer where we won't need another 8/10 signings next summer but just 2 or 3 to push us forward and be ahead of the game for FFP for a change
QPR New Deals on 11:11 - May 9 with 3508 viewsdannyblue

QPR New Deals on 10:20 - May 9 by Northernr

Hayden 93.3%
Paal 89.6%
EDB 87.2
Fox 87
Cannon 86.2
Andersen 84
Cook 79.6
Chair 78.8
Dykes 70.4
Willock 66.7 (!!)

Paal 84
Fox 83
EDB 60
Chair 59
Cook 50
Cannon 49
Dykes 37
Hayden/Andersen 35
Willock 25 (!!)

So our game plan was to attack down our left
QPR New Deals on 11:27 - May 9 with 3375 viewslondonscottish

QPR New Deals on 10:20 - May 9 by Northernr

Hayden 93.3%
Paal 89.6%
EDB 87.2
Fox 87
Cannon 86.2
Andersen 84
Cook 79.6
Chair 78.8
Dykes 70.4
Willock 66.7 (!!)

Paal 84
Fox 83
EDB 60
Chair 59
Cook 50
Cannon 49
Dykes 37
Hayden/Andersen 35
Willock 25 (!!)

Clearly Willock's got his big-wage move lined up then.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

QPR New Deals on 12:14 - May 9 with 3184 viewsLblock

QPR New Deals on 10:42 - May 9 by Hunterhoop

I think that’s a good point, Rob. Cifuentes does appear to be extremely pragmatic and someone who really values winning. He’s not a Russell Martin, Thomas Frank “we were the real winners” type. He is very competitive, and I suspect a bit of a perfectionist. He wants to win. If that means picking horses for a particular course, running a system that gets results over his personal vision or preference for how to play football, I think he will do that. I agree with you, I think he’ll adapt approach to whoever we are able to bring in and what our squad looks like come Aug.

No doubt he will want a forward or two who can get 10-15 goals. He needs someone he can trust up there.

In midfield, it’s clear he rates Sam Field. He was he first player the club renewed under him. He started the entire run in after being rested for a couple of games, and Field was the midfielder getting goals (4 in the last 11, I believe). Colback has one season left (doubt we’ll take the 3rd year) so EDB has a natural pathway into the team the season after next if he sticks with it. Hayden coming back would reduce his game time next season, but with injuries and the number of games, you need at least 4 CMs, just like you need 4 forwards.

I think the bigger issue for Cifuentes will be wide forwards. We likely lose Willock, who knows about Chair, Albert’s retired…that leaves Smyth. He needs reinforcements here. It’s clear he likes Anderson at 10 pulling the strings. In a 433 or 4231 system, that gives him 5 players (Field, Colback, Hayden, EDB, Anderson) to play centrally, although no way can Anderson play in a “2”. Alex Aoraha will also be back from injury next year, and is highly thought of. He could make it and become the 6th man available to play in the middle of the park. We don’t always need to sign players. Josh Laurent a good example of us not giving opportunities to someone who now plays centre mid and captains a side in the same league. Centre midfield looks very strong to me if we somehow signed Hayden or someone else.

Back to the wide forwards, this is our biggest area of need whether he plays 433 or 4231. He could be very light. When you combine it with the issue at centre forward, it’s that area of the pitch I think the whole pre-season and signings will be focused on. You can’t finish top half if you don’t score and it’s very hard to finish top half with a negative GD. Cardiff are the exception here!

The other area of the pitch we might need reinforcement is defence, especially if we sell JCS. If you look at the squad at the defence currently you can see Paal and Larkeche at Left back. Fox can play LB or CB. On the right he has Cannon and Dunne, and arguably Drewe. Dunne can play RB or CB. In the middle he has Cook and JCS. There’s not really anything else coming through. If you sell JCS you need a starting centre back (with Fox and Dunne as cover) and you probably need a right back too because Drewe is simply not up to this level, so you have 8 players available across the 4 spots. Dunne and Fox give us flexibility, so you have 4 players who can play at centre half and have lots of experience at doing so, but you’d also have 3 players capable at playing each fullback spot. That should give us the squad needed for the season. If you sell Cannon you might need two right backs signed.

I would suspect from the main squad:

Out:
Dykes
JCS
Willock
Cannon
Begovic
Adomah

In:
2 x centre forwards (1 a starter, 1 a back up although possible this could be Kolli)
1 x Centre half (starter)
1-2 x right backs (1 starter, 1 a young player looking towards the following year or two)
Hayden/A N Other central midfielder
1-2 x wide forwards (1 a big signing/starter)
1 x goalkeeper (starter)

No idea who those players could/would be. Sorba Thomas would seem an obvious one to go in for but expect him to have many suitors.
[Post edited 9 May 11:12]

Sorba Thomas is a great shout.

Always rated him but as you say probably bigger fish swimming around him and I suspect on a fair wedge.

For probably about the tenth year in a row I am saying one of the pre-requisites for all of our targets needs to be - PACE! We lack it in so many areas.
Also, enough of this bollox about players needing to have to have something wrong with them to be playing for us!! Sick of that.
Get fit, pacey, robust players who can trap a ball, pass it and shoot at the rectangle thing with a big net behind it. A keeper that can catch and move faster than a stoned snail would also be nice.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

QPR New Deals on 12:52 - May 9 with 3025 viewslassel

QPR New Deals on 08:41 - May 9 by Northernr

I suspect that he was just unfortunately the odd man out for Cifuentes’ pragmatism.

Obviously Hodge we had to take as it was a freebie but I’m sure Marti thought he could add to the squad but it quickly became clear that we *had* to ply 2x holding midfielders infront of the back 4 which left Hodge, EDB, Dykes, Andersen looking at the same slot behind the front man.

I worry he might find himself in the same position next season in a 4-3-3 also - I see him as possibly being able to play in the midfield 3, maybe false 9 in a fluid front 3? I’d be amazed (based on no info!) if West Ham aren’t ringing our phone off the hook though to take Callum Marshall for the season and I wouldn’t be surprised if Chelsea were looking at Marti as someone they’d trust with Leo Castledine for the season..

I dunno, I’m rambling I guess but while I like EDB I fear he might end up being a nearly man here
QPR New Deals on 13:07 - May 9 with 2963 viewsderbyhoop

I think Hunter was a touch over ambitious.
We would t be getting g shot of Dykes nor Cannon. Unless there is a huge transfer bonus from JCS or Eze.
If I am correct that reduces the scale of the incoming.i suspect there may be some left field arrivals from Europe.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

QPR New Deals on 13:10 - May 9 with 2942 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

QPR New Deals on 10:08 - May 9 by nick_hammersmith

I know this is all stating the bleeding obvious... But Dykes' return of 7 goals wasn't THAT bad considering how many shots he had - 60. Chair meanwhile led QPR with a whopping 115 shots, almost double that of Dykes and only scored one more goal.

Now part of that is playing time and another part of that is perhaps Dykes' reluctance to shoot / lack of confidence but ultimately Chair scored a goal with 6% of his shots whilst Dykes scored with 10% of his.

Taking away set pieces over the last few months of the season our most potent goal threat by some way were shots from around the edge of the box - almost exclusively from Chair. I'd like to think Marti will try to address that with pattern of play installations or whatever Nourry would call them in preseason.

When you compare our top goalscorers amongst the league's top goalscorers, Dykes does ok in terms of goals per shot conversion, he just takes nowhere near as many shots as an effective player. Meanwhile Chair is right up there in terms of shots but didn't score from many of them - relatively.

This has to change next year as you'd imagine this is completely unsustainable over another season. This year if you shut us down from set pieces and you shut down our edge of the box shots, you can chalk up a clean sheet with little outlay.

Anyway I found this marginally interesting so thought I'd share!

QPR New Deals on 13:35 - May 9 with 2729 viewsHunterhoop

QPR New Deals on 13:10 - May 9 by Padulas_Shampoo

I know this is all stating the bleeding obvious... But Dykes' return of 7 goals wasn't THAT bad considering how many shots he had - 60. Chair meanwhile led QPR with a whopping 115 shots, almost double that of Dykes and only scored one more goal.

Now part of that is playing time and another part of that is perhaps Dykes' reluctance to shoot / lack of confidence but ultimately Chair scored a goal with 6% of his shots whilst Dykes scored with 10% of his.

Taking away set pieces over the last few months of the season our most potent goal threat by some way were shots from around the edge of the box - almost exclusively from Chair. I'd like to think Marti will try to address that with pattern of play installations or whatever Nourry would call them in preseason.

When you compare our top goalscorers amongst the league's top goalscorers, Dykes does ok in terms of goals per shot conversion, he just takes nowhere near as many shots as an effective player. Meanwhile Chair is right up there in terms of shots but didn't score from many of them - relatively.

This has to change next year as you'd imagine this is completely unsustainable over another season. This year if you shut us down from set pieces and you shut down our edge of the box shots, you can chalk up a clean sheet with little outlay.

Anyway I found this marginally interesting so thought I'd share!

This is interesting, and my main conclusion is Chair should be scoring, especially when you look at comparable players in the league.

However, you’re missing the main point on Dykes. Why does he have so few shots?!

It’s because he doesn’t anticipate very well and get into positions from which he can shoot! It is not that he just turns down shots repeatedly. He doesn’t get himself into a position with the ball at his foot/head to have an effort. That’s because he doesn’t anticipate and read the game well.

That is exactly why we need to replace.

It’s like the old saying, a forward getting into good positions and missing is fine. They’ll get some luck and come good. You should be worried when they aren’t getting into the positions to score. That is Lyndon Dykes.

If anyone offers £1m or more, I’d accept and reinvest.
QPR New Deals on 13:38 - May 9 with 2679 viewsHunterhoop

QPR New Deals on 13:07 - May 9 by derbyhoop

I think Hunter was a touch over ambitious.
We would t be getting g shot of Dykes nor Cannon. Unless there is a huge transfer bonus from JCS or Eze.
If I am correct that reduces the scale of the incoming.i suspect there may be some left field arrivals from Europe.

Perhaps. I’m only going on rumours about Cannon, and my own view that I think Marti and the club want to shift him. If they do sell both, we’ll need that quantity of players in. If we don’t, granted, we’ll bring in two fewer players.
QPR New Deals on 13:41 - May 9 with 2637 viewsStainrod

The reason Dykes takes so few shots is because he lacks all positional sense so for a centre forward never attacks the near post or follows up a shot. A predator gets so many “cheap” goals that way.

But I fear some fans are being way too optimistic thinking we can “get rid” - who on earth would buy?

We have three - possibly four - strikers under contract. This could significantly reduce the chance of landing a striker (other than possibly a loan) for yet another season.

Our search for a striker continues…
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024