Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election 13:52 - May 22 with 13646 viewsraynor94

Are we about to hear the date later today, Sunak has called a cabinet meeting this afternoon.

Inflation is down, things aren't going to get much better for the Tories.

July 4thšŸ˜‰

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

General Election on 14:00 - May 22 with 2200 viewsWhiterockin

Time to disappear for 6 weeks.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

General Election on 14:32 - May 22 with 2164 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

If they hold an election on Independence Day and whoever the leader of the SNP is that week doesnā€™t take full advantage of that fact then Iā€™ll be flabbergasted.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

General Election on 14:37 - May 22 with 2152 viewsmajorraglan

I saw this online somewhere else a little earlier.

ā€œJudge Tories on their record, not their rhetoric!

Closed 600 police stations
Closed 800 public libraries
Closed 1300 children's centres
Cut council funding by 50%
Extra 600,000 kids in poverty
Extra 5 million people on NHS waiting list
Highest tax burden in 70 years
1000% increase in food banks
Trebled national debt
Trebled immigration
Stagnant economic growth
Dirty riversā€

I personally would add

A failing criminal justice system where cases can take years to get to Court,
Numerous prison overcrowding issues leading to early release
Shambolic control of our borders,
Rampant fraud during the pandemic, PPE contracts etc,
Running down the armed forces, defence expenditure in real terms is lower now than it was 14 years ago - thatā€™s mental especially when weā€™ve had a more aggressive Russia to contend with. (See Litvinenko and the Novachuk)
Defence procurement.
Boris and his lies

If heā€™s calling a GE now, then I reckon itā€™s simply because thereā€™s more bad news on the way and theyā€™re going to try a damage limitation exercise.

Itā€™s by no means a certainty they will lose because the centre right media will fall inline behind them, Telegraph, Times, Mail, Express, Sun, GB News etc and weā€™ll have an avalanche of pro conservative publicity. This mob are the worst I can remember.
General Election on 15:04 - May 22 with 2123 viewsjohnlangy

General Election on 14:37 - May 22 by majorraglan

Trebled national debt
Trebled immigration
Stagnant economic growth
Dirty riversā€

I personally would add

Running down the armed forces, defence expenditure in real terms is lower now than it was 14 years ago - thatā€™s mental especially when weā€™ve had a more aggressive Russia to contend with. (See Litvinenko and the Novachuk)
Defence procurement.
Boris and his lies

If heā€™s calling a GE now, then I reckon itā€™s simply because thereā€™s more bad news on the way and theyā€™re going to try a damage limitation exercise.

Itā€™s by no means a certainty they will lose because the centre right media will fall inline behind them, Telegraph, Times, Mail, Express, Sun, GB News etc and weā€™ll have an avalanche of pro conservative publicity. This mob are the worst I can remember.

Thank you major. I was planning on starting a thread with a similar list.

My plan was to point this out so people know exactly where we are and are totally aware of what the Tories have done to the country. Then i'd save the list in order to repost it as and when needed.

That's because people forget so quickly. I would hazard a guess that this lot will be blaming Labour for the state of the country within 12 months, complaining that they haven't fixed the problems which they created over the last 14 years.

So i'll save your post and use that instead if that's okay ?
General Election on 15:30 - May 22 with 2097 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Whoever gets in itā€™ll just be more of the same ad finitum. Anyone who thinks the Tories can turn this around are nothing more than fools with Stockholm syndrome and similarly anyone who looks at the intellectual capacity of that Labour front bench and thinks theyā€™ll do a competent job are equally mentally delinquent.

General Election on 16:05 - May 22 with 2068 viewsoldtownjack

Trebled national debt
Trebled immigration
Stagnant economic growth
Dirty riversā€

I personally would add

Defence procurement.
Boris and his lies

Let's be charitable and say "unauthorised meetings" with Israeli officials and Russian Intelligence officers.

General Election on 16:28 - May 22 with 2031 viewsmajorraglan

General Election on 15:04 - May 22 by johnlangy

My plan was to point this out so people know exactly where we are and are totally aware of what the Tories have done to the country. Then i'd save the list in order to repost it as and when needed.

That's because people forget so quickly. I would hazard a guess that this lot will be blaming Labour for the state of the country within 12 months, complaining that they haven't fixed the problems which they created over the last 14 years.

Absolutely, fill your boots and if you can think of anything Iā€™ve forgotten add it on.

Iā€™ve never previously voted Labour, but Iā€™m seriously considering it this time out. The current incarnation of the Conservative Party is just about the worse group of politicans I can remember this country ever having. I know Boris is very popular with some, but his lies, parties, the Dom Cummings saga, the lies about the MP who allegedly groped other MPā€™s I believe have led to where the Conservatives are now.

The couple of hundred quid I save in NI contributions is more than gobbled up by having to pay privately for my kid to see a consultant and physiotherapy sessions.
General Election on 16:49 - May 22 with 2012 viewsAnotherJohn

Trebled national debt
Trebled immigration
Stagnant economic growth
Dirty riversā€

I personally would add

Defence procurement.
Boris and his lies

It is a poor record. However, for balance we need to consider the macro-economic picture, the contingencies that affected all European governments in recent years, and the polices that both main parties supported. One could argue that after an early period of austerity when the Tory government ran the economy on something closer to the US low-tax, low-spending approach, there was a policy change that brought us closer to the European pattern of high-tax, high-spending public finances. In FY 2023-24 total public expenditure is estimated to be Ā£1,189 billion or 46.5% of GDP, equating to about Ā£42.000 per household. Tax revenues were about Ā£1,095 billion. The high spending coincided with a willingness to increase the national debt, which most European countries did in this same period. In the financial year ending March 2024 the UK Govt borrowed Ā£121.4 billion. Total debt rose to 97.9% of annual GDP.

Policies that Labour also supported, and in some cases said should have gone further include:
- Furlough scheme. Cost Ā£70 billion (cf cost of PPE, 2019-end 2021, Ā£17.5 billion).
- Energy bill relief/energy price guarantee. Cost Ā£30.3 billion + ? for specific measures such as reduced council tax charges (2022-23).
- Country-specific protection schemes for persons from Hong Kong, Afghanistan and
Ukraine. Cost ?
- Assistance to Ukraine following Russian invasion to 2024 Ā£9.5 billion plus Ā£3 billion
promised for current FY.
- Public support for a growing population of economically inactive people. Cost ?

My point is simply that many of the problems we now face would have been there under any government, and things will not be easy whoever wins the forthcoming election. Certainly, the last few years havenā€™t seen relentless spending cuts and closures to fund tax reductions. It is more a case of long-term problems of low productivity, sharply rising population and low investment coming home to roost.
[Post edited 22 May 17:35]
Login to get fewer ads

General Election on 16:50 - May 22 with 2011 viewsraynor94

You heard it here firstšŸ˜‰ Bring it on!

General Election on 16:55 - May 22 with 2010 viewsSullutaCreturned

General Election on 15:04 - May 22 by johnlangy

Thing is, John, I reckon it'll take a lot longer to put things right than Labou will get. Unless of course people have actually woken up to the tories now. That is also assuming Labour will do any good. If they are anything like Welsh labour we are just going to have different problems rearing up.

Given the state of things I reckon labour will need 4 full terms to get near fixing the country. if they get 2 terms and things aren'tgreat the right wing press will be all over them and the cycle will probably continue and the country's descent into the cess pit will continue.
General Election on 17:19 - May 22 with 1979 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The jug eared clown is being drowned out by a rendition of ā€œthings can only get betterā€ by D-ream

General Election on 17:19 - May 22 with 1979 viewsWingstandwood

Deliberately and blatantly timed to coincide within the same time period as the Rwanda flights..... and to avoid the possibility of damning/worrying footage from news and social media showing a 'peak' summertime invasion of yet more small boat arrivals should Rwanda fail to become a detterent.

Argus!

General Election on 17:20 - May 22 with 1973 viewsunion_jack

Youā€™d think someone would hold an umbrella for him!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

General Election on 17:30 - May 22 with 1950 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

General Election on 17:19 - May 22 by Wingstandwood

Deliberately and blatantly timed to coincide within the same time period as the Rwanda flights..... and to avoid the possibility of damning/worrying footage from news and social media showing a 'peak' summertime invasion of yet more small boat arrivals should Rwanda fail to become a detterent.

And all the students going home for the summer.

General Election on 17:52 - May 22 with 1919 viewsAnotherJohn

General Election on 17:19 - May 22 by Wingstandwood

Obviously Sunak has gone for the date that he thinks is most to his advantage, but probably his options were quite limited. The pollsters said that the winter and the main summer holiday period would turn voters off, leaving October or November as the likely dates. But there were also concerns that November would clash with the US Presidential election. So it probably came down to a choice between around October 10th or just before the summer holidays.
General Election on 17:59 - May 22 with 1906 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Time to switch off until voting day as voting is the only meaningful thing one can do.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

General Election on 18:05 - May 22 with 1898 viewsjohnlangy

General Election on 16:28 - May 22 by majorraglan

Absolutely, fill your boots and if you can think of anything Iā€™ve forgotten add it on.

Iā€™ve never previously voted Labour, but Iā€™m seriously considering it this time out. The current incarnation of the Conservative Party is just about the worse group of politicans I can remember this country ever having. I know Boris is very popular with some, but his lies, parties, the Dom Cummings saga, the lies about the MP who allegedly groped other MPā€™s I believe have led to where the Conservatives are now.

The couple of hundred quid I save in NI contributions is more than gobbled up by having to pay privately for my kid to see a consultant and physiotherapy sessions.

I will thanks.

JON said in an earlier post that people who think that Labour may do a competent job are as mentally delinquent as those who think the Conservatives might.

The obvious difference is that the Conservatives have shown that they are incapable whereas we can at least agree that Labour have not been in a position to put things right.

So, Conservatives definitely not, Labour hopefully yes. Not a ringing endorsement but at least some positivity.
General Election on 18:10 - May 22 with 1887 viewsraynor94

General Election on 17:20 - May 22 by union_jack

Youā€™d think someone would hold an umbrella for him!

That was pathetic, what was he trying to prove, look at me I'm tough

General Election on 18:11 - May 22 with 1886 viewsSullutaCreturned

General Election on 17:19 - May 22 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

The jug eared clown is being drowned out by a rendition of ā€œthings can only get betterā€ by D-ream

Which is the song Tony Blair used at his election, lets hope we don't have a repet of the boom and bust that him and Brown caused eh. We never really recovered from that and despite Tory claims about being responsible with the economy we are even worse off.
General Election on 18:13 - May 22 with 1881 viewsJumpingJackFlash

General Election on 17:52 - May 22 by AnotherJohn

Obviously Sunak has gone for the date that he thinks is most to his advantage, but probably his options were quite limited. The pollsters said that the winter and the main summer holiday period would turn voters off, leaving October or November as the likely dates. But there were also concerns that November would clash with the US Presidential election. So it probably came down to a choice between around October 10th or just before the summer holidays.

I think that thereā€™s been a sudden change of plan. Ministers brought back from official overseas trips suggests that this was a spur of the moment decision.

Rumours that there were enough letters received by Sir Graham Brady to trigger a vote of no confidence in Sunak by the parliamentary party and a leadership contest. I canā€™t see any way that this was Sunakā€™s preferred option so heā€™s called the election to spite his enemies. Sunak wanted more of todayā€™s slightly better economic data and flights to Rwanda to start and hoped to recover some of the deficit in the polls by November.
General Election on 18:15 - May 22 with 1870 viewsjohnlangy

General Election on 16:55 - May 22 by SullutaCreturned

Thing is, John, I reckon it'll take a lot longer to put things right than Labou will get. Unless of course people have actually woken up to the tories now. That is also assuming Labour will do any good. If they are anything like Welsh labour we are just going to have different problems rearing up.

Given the state of things I reckon labour will need 4 full terms to get near fixing the country. if they get 2 terms and things aren'tgreat the right wing press will be all over them and the cycle will probably continue and the country's descent into the cess pit will continue.

I don't disagree Cat. People have very short memories when it comes to these things hence my response to the major's post.

And although i'm jubilant that the GE is finally happening and sincerely hope that Labour win with a good overall majority i'm just hoping, not expecting, that they do a good job.
General Election on 18:17 - May 22 with 1868 viewsraynor94

General Election on 18:13 - May 22 by JumpingJackFlash

I think that thereā€™s been a sudden change of plan. Ministers brought back from official overseas trips suggests that this was a spur of the moment decision.

Rumours that there were enough letters received by Sir Graham Brady to trigger a vote of no confidence in Sunak by the parliamentary party and a leadership contest. I canā€™t see any way that this was Sunakā€™s preferred option so heā€™s called the election to spite his enemies. Sunak wanted more of todayā€™s slightly better economic data and flights to Rwanda to start and hoped to recover some of the deficit in the polls by November.

Can't see many other options he had, it had to be called before the end of the year, November had to be avoided.

He's going with today's economic news

General Election on 18:19 - May 22 with 1855 viewsoldtownjack

General Election on 18:11 - May 22 by SullutaCreturned

Which is the song Tony Blair used at his election, lets hope we don't have a repet of the boom and bust that him and Brown caused eh. We never really recovered from that and despite Tory claims about being responsible with the economy we are even worse off.

Did Blair and Brown cause boom and bust?

General Election on 18:22 - May 22 with 1835 viewsunion_jack

General Election on 18:10 - May 22 by raynor94

That was pathetic, what was he trying to prove, look at me I'm tough

I blame his aides who should have been there whether he asked or not. The word the pundits keep saying is ā€˜opticsā€™.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

General Election on 18:24 - May 22 with 1831 viewsJumpingJackFlash

General Election on 18:17 - May 22 by raynor94

Can't see many other options he had, it had to be called before the end of the year, November had to be avoided.

He's going with today's economic news

You donā€™t call the foreign Secretary back from an official overseas visit unless itā€™s a knee jerk reaction to something.

September or October with a budget giveaway would be much better but his hand has been forcedā€¦
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024