Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bikes in London 18:46 - May 28 with 9409 viewsGloucs_R

Been coming into London more recently with work. The bike situation seems to have gone mad. Never seen so many.

But..... When did the rules of the road stop applying to them? None wait at Red lights and the take away food bikes seen to be the worst.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Bikes in London on 06:44 - May 29 with 1814 viewsGloucs_R

Gents, I wasn't looking to start an internal battle between car drivers and cyclists.

It was an observation from someone who used to rarely visit London.

Starting to see a little more of it down here, typically teens on scooters or, once again, the electric delivery drivers. I wonder if they even know the rules of the road as most (assumption) are recently new to the UK immigrants from third world countries. I know we still teach cycling in schools down here to get you badge. I think electric bikes should be treated like mopeds.

Bikes in London on 09:11 - May 29 with 1654 viewsnix

Bikes in London on 06:23 - May 29 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Try driving through Richmond Park! 20mph, yet cyclists are going well over that, yet never get stopped.
They also have a habit of either using your car as a slipstream so all bunch behind it, or swarm around it. Very dangerous, yet say anything and you get verbal from them.

Most are middle aged men who I imagine think they are in the Tour de France. £20k on a bike!

I hate that.

It really is quite scary when cyclists are going so close up behind you at high speed and undertaking and overtaking at the same time. Even if you're only going at 20 miles an hour it seems so dangerous in case you had to do an emergency stop which is not beyond the bounds of possibility in a park where there are actual deer and lots of children.

What I find strange about these threads is I cannot imagine if there was a thread about bad and selfish drivers someone coming on and saying that it's not all drivers and most are absolutely fine. Denying people's realities just seems inflammatory. I was in Islington recently crossing at a red light to traffic and green for pedestrians so therefore checking to my right just in case anyone jumped the light that way, when a cyclist came on the wrong side of the road at great speed to cut across the junction turning right on the red light and missed me by centimetres swearing away at me. I didn't really care about the vast majority of cyclists being considerate. All I thought was he could have really hurt me. He wasn't a delivery driver, just an asshole.

I also agree though that drivers seem to have become ridiculously selfish too. No one seems to indicate these days when leaving a junction, leaving a parking space, undertaking any manoeuvre. Quite often people just stop in the middle of the road while they decide which way they're going to go with no indicator. You just have to guess what someone is going to do. It makes driving a bit like wacky races.
Bikes in London on 09:54 - May 29 with 1562 viewsTheChef

Bikes in London on 06:44 - May 29 by Gloucs_R

Gents, I wasn't looking to start an internal battle between car drivers and cyclists.

It was an observation from someone who used to rarely visit London.

Starting to see a little more of it down here, typically teens on scooters or, once again, the electric delivery drivers. I wonder if they even know the rules of the road as most (assumption) are recently new to the UK immigrants from third world countries. I know we still teach cycling in schools down here to get you badge. I think electric bikes should be treated like mopeds.

Hmmm I think that was a little naive if you didn't think that was they way this thread would go

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Bikes in London on 10:44 - May 29 with 1494 viewsGloucs_R

Bikes in London on 09:54 - May 29 by TheChef

Hmmm I think that was a little naive if you didn't think that was they way this thread would go

Genuinely didn't.

☹️

Bikes in London on 11:01 - May 29 with 1462 views1MoreBrightonR

I cycle regularly in London and drive and can 1000% say that delivery drivers on bikes and ebikes need to really be cracked down on. They are a real problem and give other cyclists a terrible reputation.

BUT forcing every day cyclists to register is a massively backwards step. We need to encourage as many people out of cars as possible, both for people's health and the environment, plus for traffic reasons. The road tax doesnt really add up either...road tax is charged based on road maintenance and environmental impact, both of which cycling is easily one of the best options for.
Bikes in London on 11:01 - May 29 with 1462 viewssouthbound_tram

London traffic is terrible and it's flat, so great for bikes. More bikes generally correlates to less traffic and other positive externalities, so I'm all for it.

Bike culture in London is the worst I've seen though, particularly with red lights. Diving culture is surprisingly good compared to other countries I've lived in. Although it's pretty rare I don't see a car run a red light at any intersection I approach.

Loads of public situations where people behave poorly e.g.
- drivers deliberately being in the wrong lane at an intersection so you can cut in late (in an out of top of Fulham Palace Road takes the cake)
- pedestrians not sticking to the left on the footpath (actually any organised system would do rather than the time consuming chaos)

Ultimately, morons are everywhere, London is a big city ... lots of morons. Do what you can to be safe, try and change things by setting a good example, and keep a PMA.
[Post edited 29 May 11:07]
Bikes in London on 11:29 - May 29 with 1413 views1MoreBrightonR

Bikes in London on 11:01 - May 29 by southbound_tram

London traffic is terrible and it's flat, so great for bikes. More bikes generally correlates to less traffic and other positive externalities, so I'm all for it.

Bike culture in London is the worst I've seen though, particularly with red lights. Diving culture is surprisingly good compared to other countries I've lived in. Although it's pretty rare I don't see a car run a red light at any intersection I approach.

Loads of public situations where people behave poorly e.g.
- drivers deliberately being in the wrong lane at an intersection so you can cut in late (in an out of top of Fulham Palace Road takes the cake)
- pedestrians not sticking to the left on the footpath (actually any organised system would do rather than the time consuming chaos)

Ultimately, morons are everywhere, London is a big city ... lots of morons. Do what you can to be safe, try and change things by setting a good example, and keep a PMA.
[Post edited 29 May 11:07]

Stop being so reasonable, this is a messageboard...there are other places for that :)
Bikes in London on 12:46 - May 29 with 1306 viewsdmm

Earlier this month the Govt said there would be new laws introduced to prosecute dangerous cyclists https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-laws-to-be-introduced-to-prosecute-danger Whether that will happen now who knows?

I have a particular beef with cyclists who ride on the pavement. They expect you to get out of the way which I do my best not to, without getting run into.
[Post edited 29 May 12:51]
Login to get fewer ads

Bikes in London on 19:05 - May 29 with 1098 viewsJuzzie

I often take the kids to school in the morning by bicycle. I try and cycle on the road with them on the pavement but sometimes i have to go on the pavement with them. When doing so i always make way, look out for, and give priority to pedestrians (usually people with their kids too) and i also encourage my kids to put pedestrians first.

I then ride my motorbike from the ‘burbs into London and see cyclists all over the place, more figuratively than literally. The A316 has dedicated cycle lanes (paid for by the tax payer) and yet lots of cyclists still go nice and slowly along the A316 which can be a dangerous road in places.
I even see them go over the meccano bridge at the Hogarth roundabout (not allowed) and over the Hammersmith flyover (also not allowed) and on the odd occasion along the friggin’ west cross route and along the Westway ffs.

What’s happened to people’s survival instincts? Has that been replaced by a sense of entitlement?
Bikes in London on 19:20 - May 29 with 1068 viewskensalriser

Bikes in London on 19:05 - May 29 by Juzzie

I often take the kids to school in the morning by bicycle. I try and cycle on the road with them on the pavement but sometimes i have to go on the pavement with them. When doing so i always make way, look out for, and give priority to pedestrians (usually people with their kids too) and i also encourage my kids to put pedestrians first.

I then ride my motorbike from the ‘burbs into London and see cyclists all over the place, more figuratively than literally. The A316 has dedicated cycle lanes (paid for by the tax payer) and yet lots of cyclists still go nice and slowly along the A316 which can be a dangerous road in places.
I even see them go over the meccano bridge at the Hogarth roundabout (not allowed) and over the Hammersmith flyover (also not allowed) and on the odd occasion along the friggin’ west cross route and along the Westway ffs.

What’s happened to people’s survival instincts? Has that been replaced by a sense of entitlement?

I've only seen a cyclist on the Westway once and had to do a double take, that really is a suicide mission. I wouldn't ride my bike on the Edgware Rd flyover and I think that is allowed.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bikes in London (n/t) on 19:25 - May 29 with 1065 viewsPunteR

[Post edited 1 Jun 0:11]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Bikes in London on 19:37 - May 29 with 1043 viewsJimmyR

Bikes in London on 19:45 - May 28 by loftboy

When I moved to London in 2017 and was delivering all over central London it was eye opening to say the least! London Bridge heading south was unbelievable.
On a side note one of my daughters was run over by a bike after the Swansea home game debacle in 2012, broke her toe and had to have an operation, a few days later I was crossing the strand with my son at traffic lights, the man went green, just as we started to cross a prick on the bike decided he didn’t have to stop, with my daughters accident still fresh in my mind I clothe lined the fúcker.

Absolute 100% pure fantasy, straight out of WWF & playground. Which bit of your arm did you use to 'clothe(s) lined the fúcker.'?

The end with your hand on? as that would be little more than a slap
The bit in the middle with the bend/joint in it?
The end nearest your shoulder? as the handle bars would have hit your fat gut long before you got anywhere near the individual.

Where did you hit the cyclist? How fast was he going? top of head, face, shoulders, arms, neck and what the result?

I implore you, for your own good, do not act on this idol fantasy.
Bikes in London on 19:44 - May 29 with 1031 viewsStreathamRanger

I recently bought an electric bike as my new job has a longer commute. It's not really much faster than my old bike but you can cruise along at 15mph without breaking a sweat. Any ebikes going 20+ have been modified and are therefore illegal. They could in theory be seized by the police.
Bikes in London on 19:50 - May 29 with 1022 viewsNewBee

Bikes in London on 22:31 - May 28 by Benny_the_Ball

Oh, quelle surprise. Professional cyclist sticks up for cycling community using fake statistics. I wonder how many accidents were caused by cyclists who rode away into the sunset leaving carnage behind them (such as the example I just cited above). As cyclists do not have to register their bikes or themselves, they are untraceable and unaccountable. Consequently, the statistics that Boardman is relying on simply do not exist.

Not just a (former) professional cyclist:

"Former Olympic cyclist Chris Boardman has spoken of his frustration that no one has been charged one year after his mother was killed in a fatal crash.

Carol Boardman died after her bike collided with a pick-up truck in Connah's Quay, Flintshire, last July."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-40709480
Bikes in London on 20:16 - May 29 with 1002 viewsJimmyR

Bikes in London on 19:50 - May 29 by NewBee

Not just a (former) professional cyclist:

"Former Olympic cyclist Chris Boardman has spoken of his frustration that no one has been charged one year after his mother was killed in a fatal crash.

Carol Boardman died after her bike collided with a pick-up truck in Connah's Quay, Flintshire, last July."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-40709480

He said: "It's been heart-wrenching watching my dad try to come to terms with the absence of his soul mate.

But cyclists aren’t human are they so ‘clothes line the fúckers’ an actual quote, from a presumably adult man
Bikes in London on 20:26 - May 29 with 987 viewsSonofpugwash

The ones who've got helmet cameras and grass you up to the Old Bill if they think you've passed too close get on my tits

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Bikes in London on 20:36 - May 29 with 976 viewsJimmyR

Bikes in London on 20:26 - May 29 by Sonofpugwash

The ones who've got helmet cameras and grass you up to the Old Bill if they think you've passed too close get on my tits

If the police establish you did pass too close having reviewed the footage? Or do the rules or the road/Highway Code we’ve heard so much about not apply in such instances? Grasses!
Bikes in London on 21:05 - May 29 with 950 viewsNewBee

Bikes in London on 20:26 - May 29 by Sonofpugwash

Do you imagine that inconsiderate drivers only behave dangerously like this to cyclists?

That is, they would never behave like this to you when you're in your car, or walking along the street?

And as for drivers who have dashcams and may use footage to prosecute other dangerous road users, whether drivers or cyclists, are they "grasses" too?
Bikes in London on 08:52 - May 30 with 801 viewsTheChef

Bikes in London on 20:36 - May 29 by JimmyR

If the police establish you did pass too close having reviewed the footage? Or do the rules or the road/Highway Code we’ve heard so much about not apply in such instances? Grasses!

*Tony Soprano voice*

Ooooohhh - Jeremy Vine ovah here!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Bikes in London on 09:01 - May 30 with 777 viewsBluce_Ree

I used to cycle to sixth form college back in the 90s and had a few close shaves but I always felt pretty safe. I'd never do that now though having driven for as long as I have. There are too many entitled Audi/BMW c*nts and people on their phones while driving. To cycle as, say, a commute is to accept the real risk of death. And I'm not even in London anymore.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Bikes in London on 09:40 - May 30 with 708 viewsRangersDave

Bikes in London on 22:14 - May 28 by ChrisNW6

Chris Boardman summed it up, with the analogy that more people are killed each year by cows and lightning than cyclists.

Cyclists can be a pain in the arse but there are far more dangers on the road, which weigh a lot more, go a lot faster and do far more damage.

I bet more people are hurt by bikes than by cows though?

Bikes need registering, insuring, and numbers on high vis tops too.

Maybe every bike should now have a transponder fitted, so within London, you know their speed, route, and ability to stop rather than go through lights?

My first time in London for years a month ago. My god, death race 2000 it was.
To stand out ofthe way and see these suicide jockeys dice with death was stunning.

Khan apparently said ULEZ was to prevent deaths due to pollution after a little girl died, but feck me, how many peeps are getting injured or killed by bikes a month within the 25?

Its a lawless society.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Bikes in London on 09:45 - May 30 with 697 viewsGroveR

Bikes in London on 06:23 - May 29 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Try driving through Richmond Park! 20mph, yet cyclists are going well over that, yet never get stopped.
They also have a habit of either using your car as a slipstream so all bunch behind it, or swarm around it. Very dangerous, yet say anything and you get verbal from them.

Most are middle aged men who I imagine think they are in the Tour de France. £20k on a bike!

This (and sorry ChrisNW6). A huge amount of the cyclists in Richmond and Regent's park's are cùnts.

It's the full kit wànkers in the Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley team colours that really trigger me. Who the fùck have you come as? John Terry?
Bikes in London on 09:55 - May 30 with 673 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bikes in London on 22:41 - May 28 by robith

It absolutely was about that now, come on.

Incredible claim to say they're pound for pound the worst then in the same sentence say there's no data. Tfl data shows that 80% of people killed in incidents on Londons roads aren't in cars.

No, it wasn't. Prior to your comment no comparisons were being made with motorists. You took it there presumably because you can't handle the criticism. Nor is it a discussion on deaths in London. This thread is purely about bikes in London and the sheer volume of bikers not following the rules. Stick to the subject.
Bikes in London on 09:57 - May 30 with 668 viewsrobith

Bikes in London on 09:55 - May 30 by Benny_the_Ball

No, it wasn't. Prior to your comment no comparisons were being made with motorists. You took it there presumably because you can't handle the criticism. Nor is it a discussion on deaths in London. This thread is purely about bikes in London and the sheer volume of bikers not following the rules. Stick to the subject.

I actually posted my experience as a cyclist which has negative impressions of drivers - triggered by you celebrating a poster confessing to committing assault

Edited: posted in haste
[Post edited 30 May 10:03]
Bikes in London on 10:15 - May 30 with 595 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bikes in London on 11:01 - May 29 by 1MoreBrightonR

I cycle regularly in London and drive and can 1000% say that delivery drivers on bikes and ebikes need to really be cracked down on. They are a real problem and give other cyclists a terrible reputation.

BUT forcing every day cyclists to register is a massively backwards step. We need to encourage as many people out of cars as possible, both for people's health and the environment, plus for traffic reasons. The road tax doesnt really add up either...road tax is charged based on road maintenance and environmental impact, both of which cycling is easily one of the best options for.

Funny how it is cyclists who see this as a backward step. Sorry, but if cyclists continue to flagrantly break the rules, some form of registration will come in (particularly for delivery riders and e-bikes). It will help combat this anti-social behaviour as well as help police reunite people with bikes that were stolen and have been recovered. As for road tax, it does add up. It needn't be much but at least contribute towards the cost of cycle lanes. Any cyclist who already pays road tax for a car would be exempt.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024