Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bikes in London 18:46 - May 28 with 9399 viewsGloucs_R

Been coming into London more recently with work. The bike situation seems to have gone mad. Never seen so many.

But..... When did the rules of the road stop applying to them? None wait at Red lights and the take away food bikes seen to be the worst.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Bikes in London on 15:30 - May 31 with 1129 viewsdutch

Bikes in London (n/t) on 00:35 - May 31 by PunteR

[Post edited 3 Jun 10:43]

You just lost your bet about working from home, I cycle to work in the west end and have done for thirty years. I said I was also a driver so pay whatever road tax is now called, and have passed my test. The numerous restrictions and regulations people ask for are impractical because of hire bikes, childrens' bikes, (shall we nick four year olds with stabilisers) occasional bikes out for a ride in the park of a summer and besides are not necessary because so few accidents and injuries are caused by bikes compared with cars. If I have an accident it is me who gets killed or maimed, not the car driver. That makes me pretty accountable to my family.

The point is we all need to share the road, slow down, take care, acknowledge that the roads are for everybody including cyclists, some of whom are idiots, but most are just trying to get where they're going just like you.
Bikes in London (n/t) on 16:02 - May 31 with 1051 viewsPunteR

[Post edited 1 Jun 0:09]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Bikes in London on 16:05 - May 31 with 1036 viewsKonk

Bikes in London on 15:30 - May 31 by Benny_the_Ball

No one is debating the positives of taking up cycling. It's the poor riding habits in London that was brought into question by the OP. I encourage anyone to take up cycling but do so responsibly and don't act entitled expecting the world to give way.

And I think the world would be a better place if a lot of motorists weren't complete and utter, rage-filled lunatics the minute they got in their cars. If lots of motorists weren't seemingly oblivious to what was going on around them, and if a few more motorists used their indicators, stopped at red lights/zebra crossings, weren't staring at their phones whilst driving etc. And there is nothing on this planet as entitled as an angry motorist forced to wait behind cyclists for 30 seconds on a country road.

Plenty of cyclists are inconsiderate idiots, seemingly on suicide missions, and just kno bheads, but if forced to, I'd sooner take my chances with a Deliveroo rider than a skip lorry driving about 2 foot behind my back wheel.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Bikes in London on 16:16 - May 31 with 1013 viewsR_from_afar

Bikes in London on 14:33 - May 31 by 1MoreBrightonR

When we used to go to france as kids, the family joke was always that cross walks main purpose was just to make it easier for the ambulance to find you when you got hit crossing the road

The zebra crossings in France are actually suggested crossing places at which the pedestrian does not have priority, so beware!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Bikes in London (n/t) on 16:34 - May 31 with 940 viewsPunteR

Bikes in London on 15:30 - May 31 by dutch

You just lost your bet about working from home, I cycle to work in the west end and have done for thirty years. I said I was also a driver so pay whatever road tax is now called, and have passed my test. The numerous restrictions and regulations people ask for are impractical because of hire bikes, childrens' bikes, (shall we nick four year olds with stabilisers) occasional bikes out for a ride in the park of a summer and besides are not necessary because so few accidents and injuries are caused by bikes compared with cars. If I have an accident it is me who gets killed or maimed, not the car driver. That makes me pretty accountable to my family.

The point is we all need to share the road, slow down, take care, acknowledge that the roads are for everybody including cyclists, some of whom are idiots, but most are just trying to get where they're going just like you.

[Post edited 1 Jun 0:09]

Bikes in London on 16:36 - May 31 with 937 viewsQPunkR

Bikes in London on 16:05 - May 31 by Konk

And I think the world would be a better place if a lot of motorists weren't complete and utter, rage-filled lunatics the minute they got in their cars. If lots of motorists weren't seemingly oblivious to what was going on around them, and if a few more motorists used their indicators, stopped at red lights/zebra crossings, weren't staring at their phones whilst driving etc. And there is nothing on this planet as entitled as an angry motorist forced to wait behind cyclists for 30 seconds on a country road.

Plenty of cyclists are inconsiderate idiots, seemingly on suicide missions, and just kno bheads, but if forced to, I'd sooner take my chances with a Deliveroo rider than a skip lorry driving about 2 foot behind my back wheel.

QPR - "shit but local"

Bikes in London (n/t) on 17:00 - May 31 with 901 viewsPunteR

Bikes in London on 16:05 - May 31 by Konk

[Post edited 3 Jun 10:41]

Bikes in London on 17:12 - May 31 with 864 viewsJimmyR

Bikes in London on 14:56 - May 31 by Benny_the_Ball

Nope. That's the penalty for careless driving, not a "close pass".

Jesus, you really are the bores bore aren’t you? Or to borrow Clive’s analogy the reason Mrs browns boys perpetuates.

I often wonder what motivates ppl who can only deal in meaningless banal platitudes: need for approval, lack of originality, desire for simplicity/attention, avoiding depth to mask a lack of intelligence, whatever it is, I’m sure you probably just need a cuddle.

But this is you:

Login to get fewer ads

Bikes in London on 19:21 - May 31 with 754 viewsNewBee

Bikes in London on 17:53 - May 30 by Benny_the_Ball

It's an utter joke in Turnham Green and has ruined Chiswick High Road. Despite having another road running parallel, they decided to take away one car lane on the main road for cyclists. This is causing chaos at the junction with Turham Green Terrace, where motorists wishing to continue straight ahead have to wait for anyone wishing to turn right. You can spend 30 minutes waiting at those lights alone. Whilst I'm all for cycle lanes, they should be properly designed in a manner which safeguards cyclists and pedestrians without penalising motorists or increasing congestion and pollution.

I know CHR quite well, indeed travelled the length of it just last week, by bus..

I really don't recognise your description of it as having been "ruined" by the cycle lane.

And as for spending "30 minutes" to get over the lights at Turnham Green Terrace, that's complete nonsense.

You may have a case to make, but you really don't help it by such ludicrous exagerration - quite the opposite, in fact.
Bikes in London on 21:12 - Jun 2 with 523 viewsTacticalR

For the last couple of months I have been experimenting with using Santander bikes to make journeys through central London (not having ridden a bike for over 30 years). They are pretty convenient for certain journeys (as long as there is a bike docking station where you are going), and often quicker than public transport. The Santander bikes are a lot cheaper than Lime bikes.

One thing that is really good is that are certain roads that are fairly quiet, convenient for cyclists, but haven't been cordoned off as separate cycle paths. One is cycle route C27 (see link below) which goes through central London north of Oxford street (e.g. Weymouth Street). Most of the main roads like Edgware Road and Oxford Street have dedicated cycling crossing points, away from the main junctions e.g there is one on Edgware Road at Harrowby Street next to Rymans, which takes you into Tyburnia. Another part of the C27 takes you from Royal Oak to Shepherd's Bush (via Talbot Road and Blenheim Crescent). There isn't that much traffic on Talbot Road (one part is blocked off except for bikes, so it can't be a rat run). Talbot Road crosses over Portobello Road by the Rough Trade shop. You get a different view of London travelling this way.

One problem with Santander bikes is not being able to drop them off if the cycle docks are full. I cycled from near Paddington to Shepherd's Bush in April for the Preston game and planned to drop the bike off at Westfield Library Corner, but that was full. Fortunately there was a single space left at Westfield Ariel Way, otherwise I would have had to backtrack towards central London to find a space. Wood Lane is as far west as the scheme runs, so maybe more prone to getting full as people have to end their journey west there. The Santander app does tell you if there are no spaces left.

The other problem I have had is when it's windy: there seems to be a lot of grit in the air which can get in your eyes. I mentioned this to a mate who cycles a lot and he thought it might be pollen.

My perception of cyclists is that they are primarily a danger to themselves. Not that many have fluorescent jackets or patches, many don't have lights, so if it gets dark or overcast it's pretty hard to see them. Also, I saw a kid of about 10 or 11 on a Lime bike who completely misjudged the lights and went across a junction as the lights were changing. Fortunately the motorists waiting at the junction were keeping a wary eye on him and he didn't get run over.

C27 cycle route
https://cycling.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?id=13743924&map=12.0/51.5477/-0.1

Tfl Central London Cycleways map
https://content.tfl.gov.uk/central-london-cycleways-map-a3.pdf

Air hostess clique

Bikes in London on 22:34 - Jun 2 with 440 viewsNewBee

One aspect of this war between motorists and cyclists that invariably gets overlooked is that in one important respect, they should both be on the same side.

That is, there are actually two types of motorist, those who need to use their vehicles and those who don't, but just want to, essentially from selfishness/laziness.

Thing is, if you discourage/inhibit/restrict the latter category, while simultaneously promoting cycling, the resulting decrease in congestion benefits the former, while the reduced pollution etc benefits everyone else.

But it seems to be the selfish/lazy lot who make the most noise, just because they can no longer drive their Chiswick Tractor a quarter of a mile down the road and park outside Waitrose, while they pick up some onions and a bottle of Prosecco.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024