Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' 04:48 - Jun 8 with 4655 viewsstainrods_elbow

I'm thinking, e.g.

1. Tony Currie
2. Mark Falco
3. John Spencer
4. Loic Remy
5. Djibril Cisse

The feelgood factor's back, so, feck FFP - don't you agree it's time for another? And, if so, who would you consider (unrealistically but tearing-up the-Champishly)?

Danny Ings?
Aleksandr Mitrovic?
The Terror Bat?

I'll get me meds.
[Post edited 8 Jun 4:53]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 15:43 - Jun 9 with 1595 viewsqueensparker

Roberto Baggio (almost)

Trevor Francis was a good one back then. We cleaned up on “past-it” England players for a while and it paid off (Reid, Hodge, Francis, Wilkins, Sansom)
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 17:37 - Jun 9 with 1496 viewsqpr1976

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 10:36 - Jun 8 by HAYESBOY

Chris Samba £12.5m.

I vaguely recall we paid just £12M for him, but sold him for £12.5M incredibly making a cool Half Million profit !

I was SO happy when we signed him having witnessed him utterly destroy us single handed previously. But then even happier when we managed to offload him after him being so poor for us.
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 17:56 - Jun 9 with 1479 viewsHastings_Hoops

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 09:30 - Jun 8 by loftboy

Jan Stejskal

Was Stejskal a ‘huge’ success? I loved him, thought he was ace; but he did tussle for first choice with… Tony Roberts… a little too much for my liking!
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 18:22 - Jun 9 with 1455 viewsCamberleyR

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 17:56 - Jun 9 by Hastings_Hoops

Was Stejskal a ‘huge’ success? I loved him, thought he was ace; but he did tussle for first choice with… Tony Roberts… a little too much for my liking!

Not for the first couple of seasons he didn't, he was regular first choice. It started going wrong in the first PL season when he made one or two errors culminating in a horror show at home to Palace just before Christmas. Gerry Francis seemed to lose confidence in him after that and he didn't play the rest of that season.

He replaced Roberts early on the next season 93/94and played a good chunk of the season before losing his place again but even if his contract wasn't expiring and he hadn't wanted to return to the Czech Republic I don't think Gerry Francis would have been wanting to offer him a new deal.
[Post edited 10 Jun 12:43]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 19:04 - Jun 9 with 1384 viewsBluce_Ree

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 13:33 - Jun 8 by CamberleyR

I wouldn't have called signing Darren Peacock from fourth division Hereford a marquee signing unless you mean Gavin?

Gavin Peacock was SHIT.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 20:17 - Jun 9 with 1337 viewsloftboy

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 19:04 - Jun 9 by Bluce_Ree

Gavin Peacock was SHIT.

And he was ours to start with.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 20:36 - Jun 9 with 1331 viewsBoston

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 07:21 - Jun 8 by macclesfieldman

Kenny Sansom was positive. A lot of failedmarque signings, Joey Barton, SWP, Ceasar, Rio Ferdinand to name a few

Joey Barton was a 'marked' man.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 20:40 - Jun 9 with 1330 viewskensalriser

A marquee signing in a tent. The OP is having us on, I fear.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 21:26 - Jun 9 with 1285 viewslightwaterhoop

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 19:04 - Jun 9 by Bluce_Ree

Gavin Peacock was SHIT.

I thought he was decent but he did have a strange habit of falling down a lot.

OOOPS i was thinking about Darren Peacock
[Post edited 9 Jun 21:43]
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 22:26 - Jun 9 with 1237 viewsnumptydumpty

Gavin Peacock has chosen the only real follow on option for his second career after being a professional footballer, today he has morphed into a man of the cloth, preaching the love of God....

If he has some influence in these fields please could he say a heartfelt prayer to improve the fortunes of his ex employers from Shepherds Bush !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 00:29 - Jun 10 with 1189 viewsCiderwithRsie

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 09:03 - Jun 8 by paulparker

Was Falco a signing with intent ?
I seem to remember us resurrecting his career after Rangers and Watford

My recollection, too.

Decent signing but both at the time and in hindsight I thought him a lesser player than Bannister and Byrne (who were in the side at the time) or Allen and Stainrod who had preceded them.

Can't believe no-one has mentioned your namesake, who genuinely did cause a stir, and rightly so.
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 00:31 - Jun 10 with 1188 viewsCiderwithRsie

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 11:24 - Jun 8 by perpignanR

Les Allen.

Before my time, but I always thought that must have caused a splash - wasn't he Spurs' top scorer at the time, when they were genuinely a big club, and we were 3rd Div South?
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 00:37 - Jun 10 with 1184 viewsCiderwithRsie

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 17:56 - Jun 9 by Hastings_Hoops

He was a big signing, though.

I remember watching him play in the Euros for Czechoslovakia and being bloody impressive, then hearing he'd signed for us and being really chuffed, especially having lost Seaman.

One of the best examples of proper planned transition QPR have managed IMO - bought Seaman when he was a hot prospect, sold him for a significant profit (at the time,) replaced him with a serious international keeper for less money.
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 01:30 - Jun 10 with 1150 viewsBoston

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 20:40 - Jun 9 by kensalriser

A marquee signing in a tent. The OP is having us on, I fear.

Excellent observation.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 08:15 - Jun 10 with 1064 viewsBluce_Ree

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 22:26 - Jun 9 by numptydumpty

Gavin Peacock has chosen the only real follow on option for his second career after being a professional footballer, today he has morphed into a man of the cloth, preaching the love of God....

If he has some influence in these fields please could he say a heartfelt prayer to improve the fortunes of his ex employers from Shepherds Bush !!!

If Gavin did pray for us he probably only do it when we are 3-0 up.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 09:25 - Jun 10 with 1028 viewsjeffranger

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 00:31 - Jun 10 by CiderwithRsie

Before my time, but I always thought that must have caused a splash - wasn't he Spurs' top scorer at the time, when they were genuinely a big club, and we were 3rd Div South?

It was called the 3rd division when we signed him, don’t think he was Spurs top scorer but what signing & classy player, couldn’t believe we got him & price was about 21k & then along came Rodney to play along side him & the rest is history
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 12:47 - Jun 10 with 935 viewsCamberleyR

Gavin Peacock was SHIT.

A matter of opinion BR, personally I don't think he was (not for the first couple of seasons anyway) but he was signed from a PL club at the time and like Spencer was dropping down a division.

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 18:47 - Jun 12 with 701 viewsHastings_Hoops

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 00:37 - Jun 10 by CiderwithRsie

He was a big signing, though.

I remember watching him play in the Euros for Czechoslovakia and being bloody impressive, then hearing he'd signed for us and being really chuffed, especially having lost Seaman.

One of the best examples of proper planned transition QPR have managed IMO - bought Seaman when he was a hot prospect, sold him for a significant profit (at the time,) replaced him with a serious international keeper for less money.

1990 World Cup wasn’t it?
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 22:50 - Jun 12 with 634 viewsCiderwithRsie

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 18:47 - Jun 12 by Hastings_Hoops

1990 World Cup wasn’t it?

Yes, you're right, I'm misremembering.
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 10:26 - Jun 13 with 531 viewsR_from_afar

I can't believe none of you have mentioned Nick Ward yet!

Put the pitchforks and wicker man back in the shed, I jest

While I'm here, I think Paddy Kenny qualifies.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 12:43 - Jun 13 with 488 viewsStainrod

Not sure they suit QPR or our budget. Most of the Hughes/ Redknapp signings were washed up superstars looking for a final pay day on ridiculously inflated wages - masquerading as a marquee signings. They were names who no longer had footballing substance.

I agree with the OP about Tony Currie - extraordinary signing, then a current(-ish) England international, from Leeds (still a massive club then). Were we even already relegated or was it the season before? Often wondered how that came about. You can't see us coming anywhere near a player like that these days.
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 14:07 - Jun 13 with 415 viewsCamberleyR

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 12:43 - Jun 13 by Stainrod

Not sure they suit QPR or our budget. Most of the Hughes/ Redknapp signings were washed up superstars looking for a final pay day on ridiculously inflated wages - masquerading as a marquee signings. They were names who no longer had footballing substance.

I agree with the OP about Tony Currie - extraordinary signing, then a current(-ish) England international, from Leeds (still a massive club then). Were we even already relegated or was it the season before? Often wondered how that came about. You can't see us coming anywhere near a player like that these days.

Tommy Doc signed him in the 1979 close season after relegation, after he took over from the hapless Burtenshaw (signed TC on 9th August according to the stats section on qprnet.com)

You could also say he was STILL a current international as he'd played in two of the three Home International games in May and then a friendly in Sweden the following month.

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 14:17 - Jun 13 with 397 viewsLongRanger

Esteban Granero - £9m from Real Madrid.
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 14:45 - Jun 13 with 367 viewsStainrod

'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 14:07 - Jun 13 by CamberleyR

Tommy Doc signed him in the 1979 close season after relegation, after he took over from the hapless Burtenshaw (signed TC on 9th August according to the stats section on qprnet.com)

You could also say he was STILL a current international as he'd played in two of the three Home International games in May and then a friendly in Sweden the following month.

Thanks for filling in gaps in my knowledge there Camberley. Yes massive signing. Think he was 29? Trying (and failing) to think of a relatively recent example of similar level players. Maybe not quite a Lampard or Gerrard at 29 but maybe a 29-year-old Jordan Henderson or Declan Rice going to Burnley (ie a newly relegated club). It just wouldn't happen.
'Marquee' Rs signings who were (successful) 'statements of intent' on 15:35 - Jun 13 with 336 viewssystemsguy

Jason Park....

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/331912/Ji-Sung-Park-I-turned-down-Manch

2024/2025.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024