Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Erm............... 22:26 - Dec 12 with 36501 viewskropotkin41

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/121213-new-stadium-plans-1232327.aspx

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Erm............... on 11:33 - Dec 13 with 2169 viewsM40R

I say they increase capacity to 41,798 + 1: then we will be bigger than Chelski.
Erm............... on 11:46 - Dec 13 with 2121 viewsadhoc_qpr

Be interesting to see what happens to this master plan if A.) we don't go up this season or B.) we do go up and come straight back down.

Either are fairly likely outcomes and would have a massive financial impact.

I have no objections to moving in principle, but i only make it to 7 or 8 games a season these days, so appreciate it doesn't affect me as much as the full timers.
Erm............... on 11:56 - Dec 13 with 2072 viewsGloucs_R

For those moaning about LR being our home....just a reminder...

Welford's Fields (1886—1888)
London Scottish F.C.'s Ground (1888—1889)
Brondesbury (1888—1889)
Home Farm (1888—1889)
Kensal Green (1888—1889)
Gun Club (1888—1889)
Wormwood Scrubs (1888—1889)
Kilburn Cricket Ground (1888—1889)
Kensal Rise Athletic Ground (1899—1901)
Latimer Road/St Quintin Avenue (1901—1902)
Kensal Rise Athletic Ground (1902—1904)
Royal Agricultural Society showgrounds (1904—1907)
Park Royal Ground (1907—1917)
Loftus Road (1917—1931)
White City Stadium (1931—1933)
Loftus Road (1933—1962)
White City Stadium (1962—1963)
Loftus Road (1963—present)

We have one of the worst grounds in the Championship, let alone the Premiership. Well excited still!!

Poll: Are we staying up?

Erm............... on 11:57 - Dec 13 with 2080 viewsRangersw12

Erm............... on 11:29 - Dec 13 by Toast_R

We all knew this was inevitable.

If you think multi millionaire business men bought the club to simply sit in a old run down stadium watching a team piss around between the Premier League and the Championship whilst p*ssing millions of their hard earn cash in the process, then I regret to inform you your sadly living with your head where the sun light can't reach.

And all this baloney about we were happy before they came etc... I wasn't and I bet you weren't either except for one season in 2003/04. The club probably would have folded by now and we'd all be waking up in the middle of the night worrying about ABC loans and a relegation dogfight with teams like Southend, wondering how players of Zesh Rehman's calibre can be the first name on the team sheet and who the next Chelsea youth loanee will be?

Bollocks to that again!

Bollocks to sitting in soulless stadium surrounded by JCL who happen to only know we exist because we have a new stadium

We will become everything that we laugh at Fulham for a plastic club with muggy fans

If you're happy to sell the clubs soul for the premier league silver then that's up to you fella
Erm............... on 11:58 - Dec 13 with 2072 viewsRangersw12

Erm............... on 11:56 - Dec 13 by Gloucs_R

Brondesbury (1888—1889)
Home Farm (1888—1889)
Kensal Green (1888—1889)
Gun Club (1888—1889)
Loftus Road (1917—1931)
Loftus Road (1933—1962)

We have one of the worst grounds in the Championship, let alone the Premiership. Well excited still!!

What ground have we been at the longest and then come back to me about where our home is
Erm............... on 11:59 - Dec 13 with 2070 viewsPommyhoop

Erm............... on 11:56 - Dec 13 by Gloucs_R

Brondesbury (1888—1889)
Home Farm (1888—1889)
Kensal Green (1888—1889)
Gun Club (1888—1889)
Loftus Road (1917—1931)
Loftus Road (1933—1962)

Gun Club sounds the bllx.Wouldve shown them dicks down Cold Blow Lane..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Erm............... on 12:00 - Dec 13 with 2065 viewswombat

Erm............... on 11:57 - Dec 13 by Rangersw12

Bollocks to sitting in soulless stadium surrounded by JCL who happen to only know we exist because we have a new stadium

We will become everything that we laugh at Fulham for a plastic club with muggy fans

If you're happy to sell the clubs soul for the premier league silver then that's up to you fella

so wont be seeing you at the new ground then W12 ?

shame

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Erm............... on 12:05 - Dec 13 with 2050 viewsRangersw12

Erm............... on 12:00 - Dec 13 by wombat

so wont be seeing you at the new ground then W12 ?

shame

The way I'm feeling at the moment no

Fingers crossed it won't get planning permission anyway
Login to get fewer ads

Erm............... on 12:10 - Dec 13 with 2020 viewswombat

Erm............... on 12:05 - Dec 13 by Rangersw12

The way I'm feeling at the moment no

Fingers crossed it won't get planning permission anyway

ill lay odds is hs2 gets the go ahead they will easily get planning permission
as the ground will be the lynchpin of a development of that size as it will attract the following
food outlets
pubs
housing

as one of the people involved in the joint venture was resonsible for building the emirates our development will be similar , new ground surrounded by houses , flats which if the club can could in theory pay for the new ground being built. or at least off set it some but that depends on how the land is being sold which we wont know about until further down the line id guess

Erm............... on 12:16 - Dec 13 with 1997 viewsRangersw12

Erm............... on 12:10 - Dec 13 by wombat

ill lay odds is hs2 gets the go ahead they will easily get planning permission
as the ground will be the lynchpin of a development of that size as it will attract the following
food outlets
pubs
housing

as one of the people involved in the joint venture was resonsible for building the emirates our development will be similar , new ground surrounded by houses , flats which if the club can could in theory pay for the new ground being built. or at least off set it some but that depends on how the land is being sold which we wont know about until further down the line id guess

HS2 isn't guaranteed though

My concern is the fact we won't be able to sell out and we will turn into Wigan who give 6-10k out to away fans and play in front of thousands of empty seats
Erm............... on 12:16 - Dec 13 with 1994 viewsnadera78

As it stands it's a 25 minute walk from North Acton for those on the Central Line, and the same from Kensal Green for the Bakerloo and London Overground, and about 15 minutes from Willesden Junction for the London Overground and the Bakerloo.

Also, there are no pubs anywhere near the site, or even on the walk from any of those stations to the site. The only places we'll be able to go drinking are at the stadium itself, which is exactly what the owners want of course.

Old Oak Common Station is still theoretical. It's planned as part of the HS2, but won't open until 2026 apparently. There's no confirmation that it will be part of Crossrail at all although that is likely to happenif it does get built.
Erm............... on 12:17 - Dec 13 with 1988 viewsSnipper

Erm............... on 10:25 - Dec 13 by A40Bosh

I spend my life explaining myself through analogies and I am struggling to find the right one here.

I have monitored this thread since last night and the very thing that makes life interesting and never dull is that people from the same walk of life can have such polar opposite opinions to any manor of subjects, opinions that will never be changed no matter how strong the counter argument, opinions that become more entrenched the more the subject gets discussed.

Q1> Am I happy at Loftus Road?
No. The only reason I am not happy is because at 6'3 and a big frame I literally cannot sit in any seat that is available to me. I therefore have to stand in the second back row in SAR, hunched or with my arse perched on the flimsy seat back because a couple of my mates behind me are 5'9 and stuggle to see over me. At only 46 years of age I leave each home game with genuine pains in both legs from the thigh to the knees and having had two knee ops it is becoming more and more unbearable. Stick in in the C Club or the directors box where I can sit and then I am happy at Loftus Road. Yes, the food is crap, the service is worse, it takes ages to get a beer, it's cramped, it's this that and the other, but to be honest, I don't go to football at 3pm on a Saturday to drink and eat I go to football to watch football, I can survive for more than 2hrs without the need to eat or drink alcohol. But that is me. So sort me out some legroom and I am happy. I'm not too bothered or excited about a new ground.

Q2 > Am I upset at the thought of moving?
No. From a purely selfish point of view as I am not going to get more legroom at LR then either, I stop going at some point in the next few years because the pain becomes unbearable, or I embrace a move to a new ground if and when it comes.

Q3 > Can I see the bigger picture?
Yes, and this is why I accept without dispute that Queens Park Rangers have to move to a larger stadium, change its income model and move with the times, if the club wants to survive. I don't mean survive in the premier league, I simply mean survive. If financial fair play had come in to the premier league and lower divisions long before Tango & Cash came on the scene, there would be no Mittals, no Tony F, no Phil Beard. QPR whether we like it or not is not one of those clubs who in the modern age can survive as a going concern, without huge outside backing from investors. I use the word investors and not benefactors, because we have had benefactors in before and they could not keep us afloat. We have been in administration, we came out in worse shape and we were probably very close to going under again.

There will be fans who will have their entrenched positions that they don't want to move or will eventually stop going, those fans who perhaps have more emotional ties to the club, because it is a generational thing, their granddad took their dad, their dad took them, they take their kids. It's where their friends are, it's their social life, it's their LIFE. But as much as TF and PB will acknowledge these stories, these histories, they have the helm, the financial responsibilities to the financial owners of the club and in business there is unfortunately no place for sentiment - we have to move on. Stay still and we die.
I remember the day my parents sold our family home back in 1995. I walked around it as they were locking up for the last time and I was very emotional and I could not understand why in their very early 60s they were selling up our home, a 5 bed family home when there were still grandchildren to come over and stay, parties to be had, life to be lived - and neither of them were that emotional about it. Because with their three sons left home, it was not the family home to them that I still perceived it to be.
My dad said that they left the wallpaper on the walls, the light bulbs, the kitchen fittings, but they took all the memories with them to their new home. The past was not left in the empty house they passed on to someone else, the past came with them. I found out 5-6 years later that my old man's pension scheme he had ploughed 10s of thousands into over the previous 30years with the Pru had collapsed and what he was expecting to get a month, he would now only get a year. So he had financial reasons to go behind it all, but his comments about moving on and time for change and bringing the past with them and their good memories is still all true.

The game is dead, football is business, either accept that and go with what has to be done or accept that you have lost your love and fall away and live with the memories and regret. It's too late in this modern age for any of us to do anything about it. We cannot control the destiny of QPR, we have to put our faith in the hands of business men who are investors and not benefactors. We have to trust they will not screw us over the minute things get a it tricky for them. There is no do nothing option any more for us as a business.

So if we end up in a shiny new stadium, that is hopefully New Loftus Road and they have designed it as well as they could - if they don't tinker with the name of the club - which they shouldn't need to because we are not a City or a Town, we are already The Rangers - if they don't mess around with the kit - we are the Super Hoops - if I still see the same people at NLR and some new faces as well, then that is ok, it's fine. It will be different, it will have changed, but it will be fine. We will still be Queens Park Rangers FC, we will still be the finest football team the world has ever seen. We will have our past with us, we will have the 1967 league cup win, we will have our 2nd spot finish in 75/76, we will have our cup final loss to Oxford, we will have Administration, we will have the 2011 Championship, we will still have Stan Bowles, Gerry Francis, Rodney Marsh, Sir Les, Magic Hat, Furs, Wild Thing, Taarbs, and Vinny, and Zesh and Bob Malcolm and Hateley. We will have them all still and we will still be Queens Park Rangers, just a bit different.

Thank you for that A40. Post of the year without a doubt.

This and the Bluce Ree "hate" post from a few years ago are the best I've read. One is very emotional and the other had me in stitches.
Erm............... on 12:18 - Dec 13 with 1983 viewsstevec

What puzzles me is that anyone thinks we can stay at Loftus Road and still hold our own in the Premier League.

18000 x £40 average a head x 19 games = less than 14 million quid.
Our 2 goalkeepers would gobble up half of that.

Sky money enables you to break even on a fairly tight budget, after that the fan base determines whether you fail or succeed overall.

Time to get real chaps.
Erm............... on 12:24 - Dec 13 with 1959 viewskropotkin41

Harry seemed less than impressed in that press conference!

Expect he'll be long gone before we ever get up to New Queen's Park

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Erm............... on 12:24 - Dec 13 with 1957 viewsnadera78

Has anyone actually said that though? I haven't seen it.

What people are concerned about is the size of the thing - I just don't see how it's possible to fill it without inviting in thousands of tourists. At what point does it stop being our football club and become another item on a checklist for people visiting London?
Erm............... on 12:27 - Dec 13 with 1944 viewscorse

ok i admit that loftus road at this moment is ...eeermmm...a mess but 40 000?
we are improving our capacity from 2700 empty seats to 27 000 empty seats.
i can hear the wind ....
Erm............... on 12:28 - Dec 13 with 1940 viewsR_from_afar

Erm............... on 11:57 - Dec 13 by Rangersw12

I know why you are worried about the atmosphere and I share that fear to a certain extent. Loftus Rd is a proper football ground - not a stadium, there is a difference, I reckon, and the atmosphere can be amazing, arguably better than that of larger grounds even when full, because we are right on top of the action. It can be a proper cauldron of noise.

The problem is that the game has moved on. It's a big money business, with high costs, and so we either have to get our costs down - for example, through developing our own players (a lot of them, on a regular basis) - or boost our revenues somehow. A new ground will give us that chance. If we stay where we are, we limit our potential and risk the tickets becoming extortionate, on an ongoing basis.

The other thing I would say is don't we, the fans, ultimately bring the atmosphere, rather than the architecture? If we stand up and make some - a lot - of noise...

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Erm............... on 12:29 - Dec 13 with 1933 viewswombat

Erm............... on 12:16 - Dec 13 by nadera78

As it stands it's a 25 minute walk from North Acton for those on the Central Line, and the same from Kensal Green for the Bakerloo and London Overground, and about 15 minutes from Willesden Junction for the London Overground and the Bakerloo.

Also, there are no pubs anywhere near the site, or even on the walk from any of those stations to the site. The only places we'll be able to go drinking are at the stadium itself, which is exactly what the owners want of course.

Old Oak Common Station is still theoretical. It's planned as part of the HS2, but won't open until 2026 apparently. There's no confirmation that it will be part of Crossrail at all although that is likely to happenif it does get built.

nadera totally agree and if anyone is bored enough to look back at prevous threads i said the same thing many times

you missed out east acton which can handle about 15 people an hr due to its size

pluses
ground is local to LR
minuses
bugger all nearby and wont be until HS2 happens if it does

Erm............... on 12:33 - Dec 13 with 1920 viewsGruntfuttock

Erm............... on 00:38 - Dec 13 by Northernr

"Build it and they will come"
If they're not coming now then fck them. They're not worth having.

I take it that all the people that you go with now have always gone? I mean, there was never a time in there lives when they did not regularly go to QPR?

Probably the daftest thing you have ever posted, and that's saying something...
Erm............... on 12:53 - Dec 13 with 1865 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Erm............... on 10:25 - Dec 13 by A40Bosh

I spend my life explaining myself through analogies and I am struggling to find the right one here.

I have monitored this thread since last night and the very thing that makes life interesting and never dull is that people from the same walk of life can have such polar opposite opinions to any manor of subjects, opinions that will never be changed no matter how strong the counter argument, opinions that become more entrenched the more the subject gets discussed.

Q1> Am I happy at Loftus Road?
No. The only reason I am not happy is because at 6'3 and a big frame I literally cannot sit in any seat that is available to me. I therefore have to stand in the second back row in SAR, hunched or with my arse perched on the flimsy seat back because a couple of my mates behind me are 5'9 and stuggle to see over me. At only 46 years of age I leave each home game with genuine pains in both legs from the thigh to the knees and having had two knee ops it is becoming more and more unbearable. Stick in in the C Club or the directors box where I can sit and then I am happy at Loftus Road. Yes, the food is crap, the service is worse, it takes ages to get a beer, it's cramped, it's this that and the other, but to be honest, I don't go to football at 3pm on a Saturday to drink and eat I go to football to watch football, I can survive for more than 2hrs without the need to eat or drink alcohol. But that is me. So sort me out some legroom and I am happy. I'm not too bothered or excited about a new ground.

Q2 > Am I upset at the thought of moving?
No. From a purely selfish point of view as I am not going to get more legroom at LR then either, I stop going at some point in the next few years because the pain becomes unbearable, or I embrace a move to a new ground if and when it comes.

Q3 > Can I see the bigger picture?
Yes, and this is why I accept without dispute that Queens Park Rangers have to move to a larger stadium, change its income model and move with the times, if the club wants to survive. I don't mean survive in the premier league, I simply mean survive. If financial fair play had come in to the premier league and lower divisions long before Tango & Cash came on the scene, there would be no Mittals, no Tony F, no Phil Beard. QPR whether we like it or not is not one of those clubs who in the modern age can survive as a going concern, without huge outside backing from investors. I use the word investors and not benefactors, because we have had benefactors in before and they could not keep us afloat. We have been in administration, we came out in worse shape and we were probably very close to going under again.

There will be fans who will have their entrenched positions that they don't want to move or will eventually stop going, those fans who perhaps have more emotional ties to the club, because it is a generational thing, their granddad took their dad, their dad took them, they take their kids. It's where their friends are, it's their social life, it's their LIFE. But as much as TF and PB will acknowledge these stories, these histories, they have the helm, the financial responsibilities to the financial owners of the club and in business there is unfortunately no place for sentiment - we have to move on. Stay still and we die.
I remember the day my parents sold our family home back in 1995. I walked around it as they were locking up for the last time and I was very emotional and I could not understand why in their very early 60s they were selling up our home, a 5 bed family home when there were still grandchildren to come over and stay, parties to be had, life to be lived - and neither of them were that emotional about it. Because with their three sons left home, it was not the family home to them that I still perceived it to be.
My dad said that they left the wallpaper on the walls, the light bulbs, the kitchen fittings, but they took all the memories with them to their new home. The past was not left in the empty house they passed on to someone else, the past came with them. I found out 5-6 years later that my old man's pension scheme he had ploughed 10s of thousands into over the previous 30years with the Pru had collapsed and what he was expecting to get a month, he would now only get a year. So he had financial reasons to go behind it all, but his comments about moving on and time for change and bringing the past with them and their good memories is still all true.

The game is dead, football is business, either accept that and go with what has to be done or accept that you have lost your love and fall away and live with the memories and regret. It's too late in this modern age for any of us to do anything about it. We cannot control the destiny of QPR, we have to put our faith in the hands of business men who are investors and not benefactors. We have to trust they will not screw us over the minute things get a it tricky for them. There is no do nothing option any more for us as a business.

So if we end up in a shiny new stadium, that is hopefully New Loftus Road and they have designed it as well as they could - if they don't tinker with the name of the club - which they shouldn't need to because we are not a City or a Town, we are already The Rangers - if they don't mess around with the kit - we are the Super Hoops - if I still see the same people at NLR and some new faces as well, then that is ok, it's fine. It will be different, it will have changed, but it will be fine. We will still be Queens Park Rangers FC, we will still be the finest football team the world has ever seen. We will have our past with us, we will have the 1967 league cup win, we will have our 2nd spot finish in 75/76, we will have our cup final loss to Oxford, we will have Administration, we will have the 2011 Championship, we will still have Stan Bowles, Gerry Francis, Rodney Marsh, Sir Les, Magic Hat, Furs, Wild Thing, Taarbs, and Vinny, and Zesh and Bob Malcolm and Hateley. We will have them all still and we will still be Queens Park Rangers, just a bit different.

Excellent post, Bosh. I don't agree with all of it straight away but it's well written, sensible and thought-provoking.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Erm............... on 12:58 - Dec 13 with 1850 viewsJamie

Erm............... on 12:24 - Dec 13 by kropotkin41

Harry seemed less than impressed in that press conference!

Expect he'll be long gone before we ever get up to New Queen's Park

He'd be 71 at the start of 18/19 so yes it's safe to say he'll be long retired.
Erm............... on 13:00 - Dec 13 with 1844 viewsClive_Anderson

So anyone know if we're going to own the thing yet?

If not then I'd suggest starting a campaign to keep hold of Loftus Road as insurance to avoid a Coventry scenario.
Erm............... on 13:10 - Dec 13 with 1810 viewsjonno

Erm............... on 13:00 - Dec 13 by Clive_Anderson

If not then I'd suggest starting a campaign to keep hold of Loftus Road as insurance to avoid a Coventry scenario.

When you say "we" - who do you mean exactly? Do "we" own Loftus Road?
Erm............... on 13:12 - Dec 13 with 1804 viewsClive_Anderson

Erm............... on 13:10 - Dec 13 by jonno

When you say "we" - who do you mean exactly? Do "we" own Loftus Road?

I mean the club so it doesn't have to pay rent to play there.

I'm not sure about selling a ground we own for one to help finance one that we don't is a good idea.
Erm............... on 13:12 - Dec 13 with 1803 viewsPommyhoop

Erm............... on 13:00 - Dec 13 by Clive_Anderson

Coventry Schmoventry !

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024