Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Erm............... 22:26 - Dec 12 with 36504 viewskropotkin41

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/121213-new-stadium-plans-1232327.aspx

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Erm............... on 00:13 - Dec 13 with 2554 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Erm............... on 23:05 - Dec 12 by wombat

As this is QPR and things never go as we would hope here's a list of things which will delay the new ground

1. Contaminated land
2. Unexplored ordnance from world war 2
3. Bats
4. Ground unsuitable for such a development due to tin mines not shown on the ground survey
5. A family of from Botswana lay claim to the land in a long lost document given to them in the late 1800s

Any more problems. To add

On a serious note I hope they give fans with the relevant building skills the opportunity to help build the new stadium either directly through the club or via links with many of the various contractors working on the ground
[Post edited 12 Dec 2013 23:09]

You forgot about the crested newts!
Erm............... on 00:17 - Dec 13 with 2537 viewsDieByYourSide

So you're fully prepared to be overtaken by Brentford then?

Poll: And it's hi ho

Erm............... on 00:26 - Dec 13 with 2497 viewsNorthernr

Erm............... on 00:17 - Dec 13 by DieByYourSide

So you're fully prepared to be overtaken by Brentford then?

If I can keep going to Loftus Road with the people I go to Loftus Road with I honestly couldn't give a flying fck if Brentford, Wimbledon and Hampton and Richmond Borough went past us mate.

I'll write as little as possible about this, because I'm an unreasonable Luddite and people don't want to read it.

I recognise why we need to move and the potential of it, but we're fast approaching the point where I jack it in. Watching a monied QPR, in a television dominated Premier League, in a concert venue, in Old Oak Common, surrounded by new build pubs and crappy food places - sooner or later (sooner) you have to ask yourself why you go to the football any more. The underdog status? The atmosphere? The unique stadium? The local identity? The people you sit with? All gone.

Trying to grab a plastic pint glass in some Punch Taverns hell hole and then being told I can't call Jermaine Jenas a fcking tart because it's offending 6 year old Hector at his first match? Stick that thanks.
Erm............... on 00:26 - Dec 13 with 2495 viewsCiderwithRsie

Come on Clive, its still well within London, well inside the core area of our support, its not some out-of-town relocation.

Sort of take your point about Frankie and bloody Bennies and I suppose the nature of the redevelopment of "New Queens Park" will probably be pretty grim. But we all know that the current site is not viable. The location could be a lot worse, I think Fernandes is right to think big, and at least we seem to have the GLA on side.

Then again I'm well ahead of you on the drinking-self-todeath project so the old brain may not be up to scratch.
Erm............... on 00:28 - Dec 13 with 2491 viewsNorthernr

Erm............... on 00:26 - Dec 13 by CiderwithRsie

Come on Clive, its still well within London, well inside the core area of our support, its not some out-of-town relocation.

Sort of take your point about Frankie and bloody Bennies and I suppose the nature of the redevelopment of "New Queens Park" will probably be pretty grim. But we all know that the current site is not viable. The location could be a lot worse, I think Fernandes is right to think big, and at least we seem to have the GLA on side.

Then again I'm well ahead of you on the drinking-self-todeath project so the old brain may not be up to scratch.

I absolutely accept that I'm wrong about this But for selfish reasons I don't care.
Erm............... on 00:32 - Dec 13 with 2478 viewsDieByYourSide

Erm............... on 00:26 - Dec 13 by Northernr

If I can keep going to Loftus Road with the people I go to Loftus Road with I honestly couldn't give a flying fck if Brentford, Wimbledon and Hampton and Richmond Borough went past us mate.

I'll write as little as possible about this, because I'm an unreasonable Luddite and people don't want to read it.

I recognise why we need to move and the potential of it, but we're fast approaching the point where I jack it in. Watching a monied QPR, in a television dominated Premier League, in a concert venue, in Old Oak Common, surrounded by new build pubs and crappy food places - sooner or later (sooner) you have to ask yourself why you go to the football any more. The underdog status? The atmosphere? The unique stadium? The local identity? The people you sit with? All gone.

Trying to grab a plastic pint glass in some Punch Taverns hell hole and then being told I can't call Jermaine Jenas a fcking tart because it's offending 6 year old Hector at his first match? Stick that thanks.

You make a convincing point mate, but it's just the way football is going isn't it? Fully respect what you've written and it's obviously a hugely emotive topic for all of us. I actually just had a little wobble envisaging walking out of Loftus Road for the last time...

Poll: And it's hi ho

Erm............... on 00:34 - Dec 13 with 2470 viewsbarbicanranger

new stadium thread
Erm............... on 00:37 - Dec 13 with 2456 viewsizlingtonhoop

Erm............... on 23:29 - Dec 12 by FredManRave

You would have thought so but then we don't know how much of that is down to the other potential uses outlined for the stadium. I'm not sure I believe in the addage of "Build it and they will come" obviously time will tell but even if we were a main stay in the Premier League there would probably only be a handful of games that would sell out in any season and the Tuesday night home games against Hull would see the stadium at less than 50% full, imo.

You have to admire the ambition of the club and hope that it works out but I can't help but feel that 40k is too much and as a result the choice will be an either half empty stadium or one full with loads of freebies and newbies, in itself not such a bad thing but atmosphere wise I can't imagine it being too impresive. People are already using Southampton as an example but they've only got a 32k capacity and despite their recent promotion winning and Premier League maintaining seasons they are already unable to sell out a majority of their games and that's depsite their huge catchment area.

I don't think I'm being negative more sceptical. It's just going to be such a monumental change from what we are all used to.

Just to add I really hope that by then standing areas are on their way back or that the club seriously look into singing sections as I think the stadium will need it.

What's the name of the road we'll be running down from 2018?!
[Post edited 12 Dec 2013 23:30]

'Build it and they will come', isn't really an adage "A saying that sets forth a general truth and that has gained credit through long use."
It's more something Kevin Costner was told by a ghost in a fairly boring film , And referred to the spectral DJ (alleged match fixer, ahem - It's 'he' not 'they') participant rather than the audience needed to fill the place.
Login to get fewer ads

Erm............... on 00:38 - Dec 13 with 2453 viewsNorthernr

Erm............... on 00:37 - Dec 13 by izlingtonhoop

'Build it and they will come', isn't really an adage "A saying that sets forth a general truth and that has gained credit through long use."
It's more something Kevin Costner was told by a ghost in a fairly boring film , And referred to the spectral DJ (alleged match fixer, ahem - It's 'he' not 'they') participant rather than the audience needed to fill the place.

"Build it and they will come"
If they're not coming now then fck them. They're not worth having.
Erm............... on 00:38 - Dec 13 with 2450 viewsCiderwithRsie

Erm............... on 00:28 - Dec 13 by Northernr

I absolutely accept that I'm wrong about this But for selfish reasons I don't care.

Quite right too. If you can't be bloody miserable and pessimistic about everything then the club is dead.
Erm............... on 00:46 - Dec 13 with 2430 viewsColombiR

Erm............... on 00:38 - Dec 13 by Northernr

Agree 100%.
The idea of watching football in some kind of Canary Wharf 2.0 corporate Boris Johnson-driven vision of London is just about as dystopian as we can get.

I don't think you're "wrong" and just being selfish, Clive. Ultimately we don't watch QPR for "progress", we watch it because we're QPR. When we head to this hellhole we will no longer be the same QPR.
Erm............... on 00:51 - Dec 13 with 2417 viewsizlingtonhoop

Erm............... on 00:46 - Dec 13 by ColombiR

Agree 100%.
The idea of watching football in some kind of Canary Wharf 2.0 corporate Boris Johnson-driven vision of London is just about as dystopian as we can get.

I don't think you're "wrong" and just being selfish, Clive. Ultimately we don't watch QPR for "progress", we watch it because we're QPR. When we head to this hellhole we will no longer be the same QPR.

Yep.
The Johnson connection made me gulp too.
Did I ever tell anyone I despise everything about that man?
Erm............... on 00:55 - Dec 13 with 2407 viewsBluce_Ree

40,000 seater in Corporate Hell?

I'm not crazy about this idea. If it all goes wrong we're another Coventry or something I guess. If it goes right, we're a lower Prem/high Championship side that gets a few more fans than we do now but never actually achieve anything.

We're never going to compete with the billionaire teams out there, we're never going to challenge for any honours ever again. So what's the point of all this?

But I'm not devastated about it either. It's just all a bit odd.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Erm............... on 00:56 - Dec 13 with 2399 viewsHollowayRanger

just noticed they got sparks in the photo not jude!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Erm............... on 01:23 - Dec 13 with 2357 viewsKiwi76

Must be some smart ways to play with the tiers to ensure even if reduced attendance you still have bottom 2 largely full and if (as looks) is close enough to the pitch it will still create right atmosphere.
Keep bottom two tiers for season tickets and members, family etc and corporates and our floating friends can fill the top when game is glamorous enough for them?
Erm............... on 01:28 - Dec 13 with 2348 viewsSonofNorfolt

Confirming all that Tony said the other week.

The sooner the better.
Erm............... on 01:30 - Dec 13 with 2341 viewsGrifter

To those who're dissatisfied with the proposed plans, I'd ask you- what the alternative? Because it's not staying at Loftus Road. This is as good as any suggested New Stadium would've been. A few years back we faced oblivion, instead we've ended up with very wealthy owners and the potential to see top tier football. I know which I prefer.
Erm............... on 01:59 - Dec 13 with 2293 viewsnadera78

I can accept us moving to a new ground, we all recognise the limitations of Loftus Rd, but 40,000 is a ridiculous number. The only possible way we could ever get that many people on a regular basis would be to fill it with tourists. At that point it stops being QPR and becomes a tourist attraction like the Eye or Madame Tussauds.

In all honesty I don't think I could live with that and I'd probably stop going.
Erm............... on 02:00 - Dec 13 with 2292 viewsLazyFan

Hi,
This would put us in the top 10 clubs capacity wise in England, knocking Sheff Wed out:

1..... Wembley Stadium..........90,000......England
2..... Old Trafford..................70,675.....Manchester United
3..... Emirates Stadium...........60,362.....Arsenal
4..... St James' Park...............52,405.....Newcastle United
5..... Stadium of Light............48,707.....Sunderland
6..... Etihad Stadium .............47,405.....Manchester City
7..... Anfield.......................45,276.....Liverpool
8..... Villa Park....................42,785......Aston Villa
9..... Stamford Bridge............41,798......Chelsea
10....Hillsborough Stadium.......39,732....Sheffield Wednesday

It would also mean we are the third biggest in London as Spurs ground only takes around 36k.

And to those who say we cannot fill it. Reading doubled their ground capacity when they were not even filling it and thats down to just a new stadium. If people must pay silly prices for watching football then they will at least want to sit in a nice stadium and not a pishhole.

And to those who say it may go plastic Tarquin on us, I doubt it. The new area will be mostly full of key workers (working class), renters (working class), the few who can the flats (working and middle class). The gentry have the scum to play with, that won't change.

As for identity, well we shall have to see if it feels like a clinical MK Dons or Southampton revival. The only way to know is to go. But as we know in London location location location is everything.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2013 2:02]

zzzzzzzzzz

Erm............... on 02:01 - Dec 13 with 2288 viewsNov77

The HS2 station won't open 'till 2026 and the whole development is scheduled to be completed by 2046.

We'll be playing for years in the middle of a building site.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Erm............... on 02:13 - Dec 13 with 2284 viewskarlski

40k is a lot, and I share the fear of playing in a half-empty stadium. Don't suppose there is much hope of lobbying a slightly lower figure?

But given that moving is inevitable, I think being at the heart of an actual regeneration rather than just a stadium development with a few add-ons plonked around us is a HUGE benefit. We might just fill the stadium with newcomers to the area (eventually), and more importantly we are at the heart of an entire new, mixed, community that is not too far away, which means hopefully the club can continue the good community work it already does. Moving into what is essentially our historic heartland is brilliant for building an identity, and it's hardly miles away from LR. There is an opportunity here - albeit a delicate one - to create something special in terms of the modern football club: historically aware, community driven and commercially self-sustaining with, hopefully, an atmospheric and unique stadium to play in.

Whatever your views on regeneration, it can be done properly. King's Cross is shaping up to be a major success, regen of Paddington basin and even Shepherd's Bush with Westfield has generally improved the areas. Don't forget this isn't some horrible Elephant and Castle style social cleansing (Heygate etc), but instead revitalising a completely derelict area.

I thought when this moment came I would be rather despondent, but the more I think about it, the more I'm willing to buy into it. If a new family wants to come along and watch the club from their new flat in a glass tower next to the ground - well, great. That new family was me 20 years ago. As long as we do this with a community spirit and with some involvement from the fanbase, I don't see why it can't be a success. A different type of success or enjoyment than we're used to, but not necessarily a worse one.

The devil, as ever, will be in the detail.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2013 2:17]
Erm............... on 02:15 - Dec 13 with 2281 viewsnadera78

Just looked up Stadium Capital Developments Ltd, who are the club's partners in this venture. Until 2005 it was called Highbury East Ltd and the directors are listed as Vinod Gupta and Antony Spencer. These people were involved in Arsenal's redevelopment of Highbury and Ashburton Grove.

I'm assuming that there is more at stake here for Fernandes and co than simply building a football stadium. They're going to make a lot of money out of this.
Erm............... on 02:40 - Dec 13 with 2261 viewsessextaxiboy

Erm............... on 00:46 - Dec 13 by ColombiR

Agree 100%.

Why will we not be the same QPR ?

Leicester , Stoke , Bolton . Southampton all left their spiritual home grounds for faceless bowls . Their gates held up and I imagine all the die hards still go .

We need to progress otherwise we dont stand still but go backwards. Everton and Liverpool are limited now by their grounds

How can you call it a hellhole when you have read one statement and seen one computer generated image ?
Erm............... on 03:02 - Dec 13 with 2242 viewsTrom

Erm............... on 00:38 - Dec 13 by Northernr

That's a very negative view.

I think change scares us all. Lets just try to take the opportunities we have to make the existing fans count.

Reality is this is about as close as we can get to Loftus Road.

We all love Loftus road but mainly during the match but the facilities are lagging behind.
Erm............... on 03:02 - Dec 13 with 2472 viewsjulia

A couple of bits from the article in the Times about the new stadium:

"Fernandes has made his estimated fortune of almost £400 million through transforming Air Asia. "I feel we can sell 40,000 seats because we are building new homes next door", he said. "I'm a big believer in flexible pricing and it's one of my dreams with a better stadium, to reduce the cost of some seats."

and

"QPR have partnerships with local councils and the Greater London Authority, the biggest hurdle being securing hundreds of millions of pounds in Government funding to improve infrastructure - with that money being dependent on the new rail hub being agreed. If it comes together, QPR hope to be in their new home in 2018."
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024