Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Podcast 01:24 - Sep 22 with 4746 viewsGetMeRangers

Really great listen, especially with a very open Steve Gallen. Some interesting points, in particular whether the narrow pitch at LR is a hindrance to the team we have now. (ignoring Finney and his first waffle with Steve)

https://soundcloud.com/west-twelve-media/queens-past-rangers
Podcast on 01:28 - Sep 22 with 3705 viewsFDC

Yeah Steve Gallen is good value
Podcast on 08:28 - Sep 22 with 3566 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good podcast again. Not sure a Rangers coach should have been so frank in public about how away teams are troubling us at home - there is a time for silence - but otherwise Gallen was as enjoyable and informative as ever.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Podcast on 08:45 - Sep 22 with 3542 viewsGetMeRangers

Podcast on 08:28 - Sep 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Good podcast again. Not sure a Rangers coach should have been so frank in public about how away teams are troubling us at home - there is a time for silence - but otherwise Gallen was as enjoyable and informative as ever.

Perhaps not, but it emphasises again how important it is to have a central ball player like Ale in the side at home, or even one like Samba who can run with it, like he did against Atalanta. I dont know if either Fer or Sandro can play in those Dm positions, but that would add another angle to the side, when those out wide are being crowded out

I am sure nay club visiting us will have identified that for themselves, and I for one, am pleased that they see the problem and hoping that they find a way of addressing it. Of course, none of this is helped by Green's distribution and makes a case for Smithies and his far better spraying of the ball from hand or foot
Podcast on 09:15 - Sep 22 with 3515 viewsJonDoeman

Podcast on 08:28 - Sep 22 by BrianMcCarthy

You've reminded me of that one where Bowen said they basically didn't have a clue!

It Is What It Is !!

Podcast on 09:20 - Sep 22 with 3502 viewsGetMeRangers

Podcast on 09:15 - Sep 22 by JonDoeman

You've reminded me of that one where Bowen said they basically didn't have a clue!

Haha... that is still one of my favourite podcasts... unbelievable. Just hope CR, Les and Steve have more of a clue... at least we are scoring from set pieces this time round... and getting away wins... in fact wins, full stop
Podcast on 09:30 - Sep 22 with 3477 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Podcast on 08:45 - Sep 22 by GetMeRangers

Perhaps not, but it emphasises again how important it is to have a central ball player like Ale in the side at home, or even one like Samba who can run with it, like he did against Atalanta. I dont know if either Fer or Sandro can play in those Dm positions, but that would add another angle to the side, when those out wide are being crowded out

I am sure nay club visiting us will have identified that for themselves, and I for one, am pleased that they see the problem and hoping that they find a way of addressing it. Of course, none of this is helped by Green's distribution and makes a case for Smithies and his far better spraying of the ball from hand or foot

Fair points, GMR. Very good post.

Podcast on 09:32 - Sep 22 with 3472 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Jesus, that was something else!

No, not suggesting for a second that Steve is the new Bowen!!! I rate him very highly in fact (Steve, not Bowen)(Help!)

Podcast on 09:33 - Sep 22 with 3466 viewsDiscodroids

Got the day off to wallpaper the landing(living the dream), so will have a listen this morning. while doing my king kong impersonation on top of the empire state building , on my step ladders.

always enjoy listening to any of the Gallens. Always good value.

'From Little Acorns, Harold..'

Login to get fewer ads

Podcast on 10:41 - Sep 22 with 3404 viewsGetMeRangers

Podcast on 09:30 - Sep 22 by BrianMcCarthy

Fair points, GMR. Very good post.

What did you think of his frankness about how our youth system used to work... with the brown envelopes et al. I was amazed, especially as the non-existent (in his words) youth team regularly won the SE Counties league. Never realised that all the Gallen brothers played for Watford youth and that Magic Hat was recruited using using dodgy methods. Myths debunked for old heads like me, that we once had a thriving youth system that we are now trying to recreate.

Or the shocking revelation that up until quite recently we only had three staff working with the youth whereas the likes of Wycombe had 8!

Sure he should have shown more tact, generally, but I found it engrossing all that he had to say about what the future might hold, if plans go through

And Disco... 'living the dream'... your sardonicism cracks me up everytime.
Podcast on 11:15 - Sep 22 with 3354 viewsDiscodroids

ive not even started wallpapering yet mate, ive been on here all bloody morning !.

right , ive got to nash and get cracking, she'll go radio rental is she comes in and finds ive wallpapered the square root area of a penny black stamp all day!!

'From Little Acorns, Harold..'

Podcast on 11:34 - Sep 22 with 3321 viewsAntti_Heinola

It was a great podcast that. I had a bit of sympathy for Bowen - I think they were completely shell-shocked at just how badly things had gone, and to not have won any games at all must have been baffling, because they hadn't had a run like that before and they were probably doing the same things they always did, which had worked before. The failure to get a win when we were playing quite well at the start of that season was what really ruined them.

Looks like something similar may be happening now at Stoke!

Looking forward to listening to the Gallen pod.

Bare bones.

Podcast on 11:48 - Sep 22 with 3290 viewslondonscottish

Podcast on 11:15 - Sep 22 by Discodroids

ive not even started wallpapering yet mate, ive been on here all bloody morning !.

right , ive got to nash and get cracking, she'll go radio rental is she comes in and finds ive wallpapered the square root area of a penny black stamp all day!!

Disco, earlier

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Podcast on 12:16 - Sep 22 with 3232 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Podcast on 10:41 - Sep 22 by GetMeRangers

What did you think of his frankness about how our youth system used to work... with the brown envelopes et al. I was amazed, especially as the non-existent (in his words) youth team regularly won the SE Counties league. Never realised that all the Gallen brothers played for Watford youth and that Magic Hat was recruited using using dodgy methods. Myths debunked for old heads like me, that we once had a thriving youth system that we are now trying to recreate.

Or the shocking revelation that up until quite recently we only had three staff working with the youth whereas the likes of Wycombe had 8!

Sure he should have shown more tact, generally, but I found it engrossing all that he had to say about what the future might hold, if plans go through

And Disco... 'living the dream'... your sardonicism cracks me up everytime.

I was delighted that he spoke so frankly about the poor staffing levels. Hope we never go back to that. It's completely unworkable. For example, my own Gaelic Football club have twenty-eight coaches at underage and we only one team at each of the seven age grades. Rangers had three! He has said this before but it warrants repeating.

As for the youth set-up, well I used to go and watch the youths a lot so I've heard all this before. Never knew whether it was true or not, so it was incredibly interesting hearing it from someone who'd been recruited, played, been let go and returned as youth boss.

I took him to mean that we never had teams up to the 15-16 age grades, which I believe was true, We just, erm, acquired a lot of lads that age and stated from there. Challis, Kevin Gallen and quite a few more all came from the same club if I remember correctly.

Podcast on 12:36 - Sep 22 with 3193 viewspaulparker

Podcast on 12:16 - Sep 22 by BrianMcCarthy

I was delighted that he spoke so frankly about the poor staffing levels. Hope we never go back to that. It's completely unworkable. For example, my own Gaelic Football club have twenty-eight coaches at underage and we only one team at each of the seven age grades. Rangers had three! He has said this before but it warrants repeating.

As for the youth set-up, well I used to go and watch the youths a lot so I've heard all this before. Never knew whether it was true or not, so it was incredibly interesting hearing it from someone who'd been recruited, played, been let go and returned as youth boss.

I took him to mean that we never had teams up to the 15-16 age grades, which I believe was true, We just, erm, acquired a lot of lads that age and stated from there. Challis, Kevin Gallen and quite a few more all came from the same club if I remember correctly.

Will listen to this later
i do get the impression that Steve Gallen has been banging his head against a brickwall the last few years re our set up and youth academies ,especially losing Sterling they way we did , mind you we have been so badly run at youth level since around 1999 we are light years behind pretty much the majority of the football league
what i dont get is that when i was growing up and playing the hayes/Middlesex,Harrow,Chiswick, Acton, Kingston leagues had some excellent talent, i really dont know why we havent been able to really bring through anyone they all cant be at Arsenal,spurs , Chelsea can they ?
as for Ireland i know we signed Manning but again we dont seemed to have tapped into the Irish system very well, shame as our part of London always had a big irish community ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Podcast on 12:48 - Sep 22 with 3166 viewsdaveB

We haven't had a good youth set up for decades really if ever. Gallen, Dichio, Langley, Bean and Sterling are about the only ones to come through since the 80's. Even in the 80's it was only Waddock, Goddard, The Allens, Maguire, brian Laws and Alan Mcdonald who came through the youth set up.

Most of our best players were bought
Podcast on 14:13 - Sep 22 with 3071 viewsAntti_Heinola

Podcast on 12:48 - Sep 22 by daveB

We haven't had a good youth set up for decades really if ever. Gallen, Dichio, Langley, Bean and Sterling are about the only ones to come through since the 80's. Even in the 80's it was only Waddock, Goddard, The Allens, Maguire, brian Laws and Alan Mcdonald who came through the youth set up.

but that's pretty standard numbers dave.
some teams get a glut in an age group, then nothing for years. others get one a year, maybe one every two years. United had that group of 5, but that was exceptional.

Bare bones.

Podcast on 14:29 - Sep 22 with 3048 viewspaulparker

Podcast on 12:48 - Sep 22 by daveB

Dawes, Neil, Fereday , Hucker , Peacock, Channing , Roberts , Ready
im pretty sure they came through the youth in the 80s as well,
it all went wrong in the 90s when chris Wright handed out silly contracts to the likes of Brazier, Quarsie , Challis, Mahony-johnson, Graham,Perry, Bruce to stop them leaving on Bosmans

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Podcast on 15:36 - Sep 22 with 2993 viewsdaveB

Podcast on 14:13 - Sep 22 by Antti_Heinola

but that's pretty standard numbers dave.
some teams get a glut in an age group, then nothing for years. others get one a year, maybe one every two years. United had that group of 5, but that was exceptional.

5 players in 25 years can't be standard, complete waste of time if thats the end result
Podcast on 16:12 - Sep 22 with 2958 viewsderbyhoop

Steve Gallen did come across as a little peeved with how bad it had been in the past. But it does show how difficult it is to compete against the other clubs in the area when they have Cat 1 status and are throwing big money at their Youth set ups.

Perhaps, moving to Warren Farm, when it happens, will be the catalyst that triggers a significant improvement in the quality of our young players and the likelihood of an increase in the numbers graduating to first team level. It is still going to take big money.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Podcast on 16:56 - Sep 22 with 2929 viewsTacticalR

These brown envelopes sound good.

Air hostess clique

Podcast on 17:35 - Sep 22 with 2875 viewsstansleftfoot

Podcast on 15:36 - Sep 22 by daveB

5 players in 25 years can't be standard, complete waste of time if thats the end result

Sadly its pretty much accepted that the cost of a fit for purpose Academy; around £2.5 to £3 million a year, given the Club has the Infrastructure, is merely a cost...young UK players in the Premiership do not have the "pathway" Sir Les talks of.
Unless its legislated for by the FA in agreement with the Premiership Clubs will continue to buy in from abroad, the international side will remain non competitive, and young footballing talent will continue to wither on the vine.
The brand is now the driving force, a huge amount of the Premierships income comes through foreign income spent at the gate and for TV subscription.
The business model, the laziness of Club Chairman, owners, the impoverished quality of UK Coaches fails to give these players chance.
Where does ambition go when a 20 year old from a poor family background is given a £10K to £30K contract for 4 years.....Winston Bogarde and Andreas Christensen kind of paint the picture....Christensen is one of around 30 Chelsea academy players who will hardly play football for their Club.
This is a big topic and needs serious debate by the FA and the Premiership....so its basically a dead end!
A clever club might try and build a cheap academy subsidised by a local council and create a real "pathway" for local multi cultural community offering education, stability, and a vision but like Education itself it rely's on a great Head Teacher and brilliant staff who have to work the local schools footballing leagues...I'll accept Sir Les and CR at face value as totally unproven leaders....its Sir Les's selection for the backroom staff where my concerns are beginning to grow.
Podcast on 17:35 - Sep 22 with 2874 viewsdaveB

Podcast on 14:29 - Sep 22 by paulparker

Dawes, Neil, Fereday , Hucker , Peacock, Channing , Roberts , Ready
im pretty sure they came through the youth in the 80s as well,
it all went wrong in the 90s when chris Wright handed out silly contracts to the likes of Brazier, Quarsie , Challis, Mahony-johnson, Graham,Perry, Bruce to stop them leaving on Bosmans

I thought we bought Dawes and Hucker, am probably wrong though
Podcast on 17:47 - Sep 22 with 2867 viewsGetMeRangers

Podcast on 17:35 - Sep 22 by daveB

I thought we bought Dawes and Hucker, am probably wrong though

Both started tehir careers at QPR according to Wiki. Hucker signed as schoolboy in 1976 and we were Dawes fisrt of two clubs, Milwall being he other
Podcast on 17:53 - Sep 22 with 2855 viewsTacticalR

Podcast on 17:35 - Sep 22 by stansleftfoot

Sadly its pretty much accepted that the cost of a fit for purpose Academy; around £2.5 to £3 million a year, given the Club has the Infrastructure, is merely a cost...young UK players in the Premiership do not have the "pathway" Sir Les talks of.
Unless its legislated for by the FA in agreement with the Premiership Clubs will continue to buy in from abroad, the international side will remain non competitive, and young footballing talent will continue to wither on the vine.
The brand is now the driving force, a huge amount of the Premierships income comes through foreign income spent at the gate and for TV subscription.
The business model, the laziness of Club Chairman, owners, the impoverished quality of UK Coaches fails to give these players chance.
Where does ambition go when a 20 year old from a poor family background is given a £10K to £30K contract for 4 years.....Winston Bogarde and Andreas Christensen kind of paint the picture....Christensen is one of around 30 Chelsea academy players who will hardly play football for their Club.
This is a big topic and needs serious debate by the FA and the Premiership....so its basically a dead end!
A clever club might try and build a cheap academy subsidised by a local council and create a real "pathway" for local multi cultural community offering education, stability, and a vision but like Education itself it rely's on a great Head Teacher and brilliant staff who have to work the local schools footballing leagues...I'll accept Sir Les and CR at face value as totally unproven leaders....its Sir Les's selection for the backroom staff where my concerns are beginning to grow.

On the Chelsea thing...
'In a strange schizophrenia, top clubs are pouring unprecedented sums into youth development but offering fewer openings to players who emerge.'
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/87014/the-football
[Post edited 22 Sep 2015 17:55]

Air hostess clique

Podcast on 23:03 - Sep 22 with 2749 viewskensalriser

Podcast on 11:15 - Sep 22 by Discodroids

Got to do it right if you're going to do a good job.

First thing, survey the job to be done. Make a brew. Draw in your breath. Rub your chin. Finish tea, pop out for materials.

...three hours later. You've got your paste, your shears, correct grade lining paper, paste brush, hanging brush. Quick wipe of the skirting and you're ready to go. Make a brew. Size the wall, start pasting the first lining sheet. Up the ladder.

Fck. Where's the plumb line? Rifle through tool cupboard. Nothing. Finish brew. Pop out for plumb line. Three suppliers, a sandwich stop and two hours later, you're back.

Resize the wall. Repaste the first sheet. Up the ladder. Then you hear a key turn in the door. It's 6pm...

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024