Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ash 20:22 - Aug 1 with 34356 viewsGorslasJack

Starting to look like it might be happening!
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-ashley-willi
Ash on 15:09 - Aug 2 with 2904 viewsLeonisGod

Ash on 13:01 - Aug 2 by QuakerJack

Chester was by far the best of the three centre halves in the Euros... all 3 played very well but I'd even argue Ben was better than Ash

It's the whole package Ash brings that's going in his favour. First name on the teamsheet for me. I wonder how much of a coincidence it is that success for us and for Wales coincides with Ash as the captain and being ever-present at the back...?

This sums it up well for me, and saves me having to type stuff out :-)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-can-repla
Ash on 15:19 - Aug 2 with 2782 viewsItchySphincter

Well I don't think he was that spectacular last year and a bit of fresh blood might be a good thing.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Ash on 15:23 - Aug 2 with 2773 viewsAussieSwan

It's a tough one.

£10m for a 32 year old, who we signed for £400k eight years ago and got to see the best of him? Financially the deal makes sense. Plus, Amat is ready to step up so replacing Williams the player is taken care of. Whether we sign another CB or use Van Der Hoorn as our 3rd choice remains to be seen. But nobody would begrudge Ash for leaving for a new challenge in the twilight years of his career.

Replacing Williams the man, the captain, the inspirational leader and arguably the embodiment of the Swansea story is a hell of a lot harder. Some would say it is impossible. Nobody has anywhere near his presence on the field or off. If we do sell it'll be a big hit to squad morale and fan morale.

Very tough call either way.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2016 15:25]

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

Ash on 15:36 - Aug 2 with 2708 viewslondonlisa2001

Ash on 15:23 - Aug 2 by AussieSwan

It's a tough one.

£10m for a 32 year old, who we signed for £400k eight years ago and got to see the best of him? Financially the deal makes sense. Plus, Amat is ready to step up so replacing Williams the player is taken care of. Whether we sign another CB or use Van Der Hoorn as our 3rd choice remains to be seen. But nobody would begrudge Ash for leaving for a new challenge in the twilight years of his career.

Replacing Williams the man, the captain, the inspirational leader and arguably the embodiment of the Swansea story is a hell of a lot harder. Some would say it is impossible. Nobody has anywhere near his presence on the field or off. If we do sell it'll be a big hit to squad morale and fan morale.

Very tough call either way.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2016 15:25]

"The man, the captain, the inspirational leader, the embodiment of the Swansea story" ??

Great player for us over the past decade, but this is incredibly extreme.

I wouldn't push the whole 'the squad will be devastated' bit too much either, as I'm not sure that is particularly accurate at least for some of them.

It'll be interesting to see if he goes. If he does, it's because the club have decided that giving him another very lucrative contract at 32 is not good business. We've shown with Siggy that if we want to keep a top player we can, so the money we are prepared to pay is obviously good enough if we want them enough. It may just be that we've decided he is no longer as irreplaceable as he (and it seems some fans) think.
Ash on 15:53 - Aug 2 with 2641 viewsItchySphincter

Ash on 15:36 - Aug 2 by londonlisa2001

"The man, the captain, the inspirational leader, the embodiment of the Swansea story" ??

I wouldn't push the whole 'the squad will be devastated' bit too much either, as I'm not sure that is particularly accurate at least for some of them.

It'll be interesting to see if he goes. If he does, it's because the club have decided that giving him another very lucrative contract at 32 is not good business. We've shown with Siggy that if we want to keep a top player we can, so the money we are prepared to pay is obviously good enough if we want them enough. It may just be that we've decided he is no longer as irreplaceable as he (and it seems some fans) think.

Init Lis.

Kerching!

I stick my neck out and say he won't look great at Everton. No way he's going to get better.

Ash on 15:59 - Aug 2 with 2600 viewspencoedjack

Ash on 15:36 - Aug 2 by londonlisa2001

Disagree although I can see the reasoning in selling a 32 year old for 10 million

The man, the captain, the inspirational leader .......

Make a decent banner that ...... although a bit John Terryish
Ash on 16:00 - Aug 2 with 2589 viewslondonlisa2001

Ash on 15:53 - Aug 2 by ItchySphincter

Init Lis.

Kerching!

I stick my neck out and say he won't look great at Everton. No way he's going to get better.

All to do with investing the money wisely for me.

If we do, then the fee is good and we should take it

Siggy signing is a very big sign for me - very big.
Ash on 16:00 - Aug 2 with 2591 viewsdailew

Easily the most important player in our incredible rise and continued presence in the PL but would need replacing someday.

Would Amat be happy with another season on the bench?

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Login to get fewer ads

Ash on 16:05 - Aug 2 with 2539 viewslondonlisa2001

Ash on 15:59 - Aug 2 by pencoedjack

Disagree although I can see the reasoning in selling a 32 year old for 10 million

It's very John Terry ish.

And it's quite a similar situation in a way. The fans would be devatsed to see him go, the club - not so much. Chelsea gave in to fan pressure - be under no illusions that Conte didn't want him any where near. I'm not saying the same about Guidolin by the way - I have no idea what he thinks.

I'd be more than happy to see Ash stay, but wouldn't hand him a new contract now. He'll be 34 when this one runs out - I'd bet anything he wouldn't be in our first team in 2 years time.
Ash on 16:06 - Aug 2 with 2540 viewsplasjack

Ash on 15:59 - Aug 2 by pencoedjack

what a player for us over the years. never out with a bad injury, ever present, hope we can find a gem too replace him.
Ash on 16:09 - Aug 2 with 2509 viewsAustinIsOurHero

I've always admired your levelheadedness in matters like this Lisa.
Keeping Gylfi is easily the best piece of business we could do in this window. he's also pretty much confirmed that signings are on their way.
This situation suddenly feels not so bleak.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2016 16:36]

Poll: How many points will be get from the next two games?

Ash on 16:16 - Aug 2 with 2457 viewsjack247

Ash on 16:09 - Aug 2 by AustinIsOurHero

Keeping Gylfi is easily the best piece of business we could do in this window. he's also pretty much confirmed that signings are on their way.

It does certainly shine a bit of positivity on things. Maybe Guidolin is happy to shed Ash and Ayew and replace with players who will fit his way of playing. Can't see Siggy signing if he thought we were a sinking ship. We need to kick on pretty quickly and get the chequebook out if we are going to though
Ash on 16:23 - Aug 2 with 2402 viewsGriffting

Ash on 16:16 - Aug 2 by jack247

It does certainly shine a bit of positivity on things. Maybe Guidolin is happy to shed Ash and Ayew and replace with players who will fit his way of playing. Can't see Siggy signing if he thought we were a sinking ship. We need to kick on pretty quickly and get the chequebook out if we are going to though

The daily mail seem to think we are in for Kara Mbodji as Ash's replacement.
Can't say I've ever heard of him to be honest. Dortmund seem to keeping tabs on him though by all accounts and they can pick a player.
Ash on 16:31 - Aug 2 with 2351 viewsDyfnant

Fernandez looked better alongside Amat anyway. The only real downside for me is potential fitness issues, with Amat never having a long run of games in the team before. I'm confident we'll all be looking at this as very good business in 18 months time.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Ash on 16:36 - Aug 2 with 2308 viewsmagicdaps10

The only thing i can say about the new guys in good way is this.

They see the sense it makes to cash in on him now giving his age, they will not view it from the sentimental side that we and others possibly within the club will see it.
I have utmost respect for Ash and know what a fantastic leader he is BUT i see the down side off him aswell. He is replaceable 100%, we have Amat already but we will need another CB who can come in and challenge Fernandez and Amat.

I see the sense in 10M for Ash, albeit with a large touch off sadness.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Ash on 16:38 - Aug 2 with 2279 viewsdailew

Ash on 16:31 - Aug 2 by Dyfnant

Fernandez looked better alongside Amat anyway. The only real downside for me is potential fitness issues, with Amat never having a long run of games in the team before. I'm confident we'll all be looking at this as very good business in 18 months time.

Yup. Ash has played through injuries so many times makes you wonder if it might take it's toll one day.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Ash on 16:40 - Aug 2 with 2260 viewsDaggyjack

Ash on 16:36 - Aug 2 by magicdaps10

The only thing i can say about the new guys in good way is this.

They see the sense it makes to cash in on him now giving his age, they will not view it from the sentimental side that we and others possibly within the club will see it.
I have utmost respect for Ash and know what a fantastic leader he is BUT i see the down side off him aswell. He is replaceable 100%, we have Amat already but we will need another CB who can come in and challenge Fernandez and Amat.

I see the sense in 10M for Ash, albeit with a large touch off sadness.

100% -

Amat wouldn't hang around for another season on the bench, so to lose Amat now so we can keep Ash for another season would be wrong.

Amat could be here for another 5 - 6 seasons and is only going to improve.

£10 million for Ash, find a 4th centre back as cover, then spend the cash on what we really need...strikers.
Ash on 16:52 - Aug 2 with 2195 viewsJack123

libera nos a malo

Ash on 17:13 - Aug 2 with 2083 viewsItchySphincter

Ash on 16:00 - Aug 2 by dailew

Easily the most important player in our incredible rise and continued presence in the PL but would need replacing someday.

Would Amat be happy with another season on the bench?

He's been important in keeping us up but I'd say Trundle, Monk, Brotton and Tate have been equally important in the rise.

Ash on 17:14 - Aug 2 with 2083 viewslondonlisa2001

Ash on 16:09 - Aug 2 by AustinIsOurHero

Oh, I am still annoyed about Joe Allen!

But the Siggy thing is a very very big deal. A club like us would not be able to hold onto him unless we were able to pay him very well (as in, equivalent to what a club like Everton or Leicester could pay as I believe the interest from there was genuine). Also we are prepared to turn down what would undoubtedly be the highest fee we could get for any of our squad - somewhere between £25m and £30m at a guess. And the club's best player just does not sign a new 4 year deal without reassurance about the plans - it just wouldn't happen.

So whatever we are doing in the window, it's not because of 'asset stripping' type stuff (although as I've said before I never believed it was as it would be a stupid deal for the Americans).

The next big indicator will be who we bring in up front. Someone like Baston, or Haller would give out very different signals to someone like Ulloa (as an example) - as a first choice I mean, not as back up.

Ash going? Well, if a player's career has a trajectory up then peak then down, he is undoubtedly on the way down so I can see why we'd accept to be honest. We've had his best and I think we'd lose Amat if he stayed.
Ash on 17:17 - Aug 2 with 2065 viewsItchySphincter

Ash on 16:31 - Aug 2 by Dyfnant

Hallelujah! Agree completely.

10M for Ash is a no brained so as long as our lot give Jordi a break for the first few weeks we've got a solid pairing at centre half on our hands. It's going to be like upgrading from a Mercedes Benz to a Bentley.

Ash on 21:11 - Aug 2 with 1674 viewsstid

Struggle to see how Everton without Lukaku is much of a step up or the big opportunity he deserves to be honest
Ash on 21:16 - Aug 2 with 1618 viewsstid

Bid rejected, Odds on him signing a new deal? Morale at it again
Ash on 21:17 - Aug 2 with 1618 viewsmorningstar

Ash on 16:52 - Aug 2 by Jack123

Must have been a quick medical as my son saw him in that 5 guys burger place at 5pm!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Ash on 21:17 - Aug 2 with 1608 viewsshandyjack

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dramatic-twist-ashley-

Well well well

Poll: Expectation for the season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024