Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next Manager... 22:32 - Oct 28 with 15281 viewsGloucs_R

Can't think of anyone I'd want???

Poll: Are we staying up?

Next Manager... on 15:56 - Oct 30 with 2365 viewsderbyhoop

New manager. But low salary, no money for transfers, shrinking budget, no infrastructure, small crowds, parachute payments running out, and unrealistic expectations from the fanbase. Coupled with social media vitriol every time you lose at home.

I think we should get the DoF, the Chief Exec and the Chairman to draw up a shortlist, rigorously quiz the shortlisted applicants, give anybody daft enough to accept a 1 year contract. Oh sorry, they tried that 11 months ago.

Sounds like an ideal job.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Next Manager... on 16:00 - Oct 30 with 2356 viewsDannytheR

Next Manager... on 15:56 - Oct 30 by derbyhoop

New manager. But low salary, no money for transfers, shrinking budget, no infrastructure, small crowds, parachute payments running out, and unrealistic expectations from the fanbase. Coupled with social media vitriol every time you lose at home.

I think we should get the DoF, the Chief Exec and the Chairman to draw up a shortlist, rigorously quiz the shortlisted applicants, give anybody daft enough to accept a 1 year contract. Oh sorry, they tried that 11 months ago.

Sounds like an ideal job.

"Coupled with social media vitriol every time you lose at home."

We don't stop there though, do we? If we don't like you, we'll give you so much abuse at HQ the opposition manager has to put his arm round you in a show of public support.

And that'll be during a 3-0 win.
Next Manager... on 13:18 - Oct 31 with 2223 viewsrsonist

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2016/10/31/exclus

Wolves draw up their manager shortlist. Sherwood, Pearson, Lambert, Ince and Edwards.

Grass is greener my arse.
Next Manager... on 13:58 - Oct 31 with 2163 viewsToast_R

Personally I would only change it if QPR drop into the bottom 3. That would be inexcusable.

I get a feeling JFH is a record breaker, he got us a win at Craven Cottage, he got us beat at home by Brentford so it's written that he'll get us a first win at the City Ground. There will be a reaction after Friday (there has to be) so it's going to happen this weekend. Mark my words.

We'll get soundly done over by Norwich though but I've allowed for that.
And so it continues...
[Post edited 31 Oct 2016 13:59]
Next Manager... on 14:01 - Oct 31 with 2158 viewsrobith

Next Manager... on 13:18 - Oct 31 by rsonist

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2016/10/31/exclus

Wolves draw up their manager shortlist. Sherwood, Pearson, Lambert, Ince and Edwards.

Grass is greener my arse.

That is a list straight from a "Be careful what you wish for" morality folktale that
Next Manager... on 14:23 - Oct 31 with 2125 viewsNorthernr

Unless this whole thing goes properly to sht I'd give him to the end of the season and if we're not happy then part company in May giving a new man a summer to start again. Mid season managerial changes in the age of the transfer windows are a bloody nightmare, because new man is stuck with the previous guy's players until January, which is a lousy and expensive time to try and make changes anyway. The only attraction of it is new manager bounce, which we never get anyway.

That Wolves shortlist puts me off further.

As does threads like this. Two years ago we had this thread, people were all hot and wet for Steven Pressley because Coventry were doing quite well despite having to play home games at Northampton. Pressley subsequently bombed there, got the sack, could only get the Fleetwood job, and he's got the sack there as well.

A year ago Jackie McNamara featured on a couple of lists, because he'd brought young players through and played nice football at Dundee Utd. Now Dundee Utd had most of those players taken from them but still, he was sacked with them about to be relegated on the fourth biggest budget in the SPL. The only job he could get after that was York who he took from a position of safety into the relegation zone and out of the league altogether. He's just been sacked (then bizarrely made caretaker manager, and subsequently CEO) with York about to get relegated again, into Conference North this time, after a 6-1 defeat to bloody Guiseley.

A month ago people were giving it the old "I'd have that Wagner bloke from Huddersfield" who none of us had ever heard of 6 months ago, and has just been beaten 5-0 at Fulham as their decent start fades away.

Not easy this recruitment business, and we shouldn't let the idea it is manifest itself in casual calls for another sacking, or abuse of the club for getting it wrong. Hasselbaink was a very good candidate on paper and that was less than a year ago.
Next Manager... on 14:48 - Oct 31 with 2087 viewsBerkoRanger

Of course the longer we wait, the more sacked managers will be available.......
Next Manager... on 15:02 - Oct 31 with 2061 viewskarl

Next Manager... on 14:23 - Oct 31 by Northernr

Unless this whole thing goes properly to sht I'd give him to the end of the season and if we're not happy then part company in May giving a new man a summer to start again. Mid season managerial changes in the age of the transfer windows are a bloody nightmare, because new man is stuck with the previous guy's players until January, which is a lousy and expensive time to try and make changes anyway. The only attraction of it is new manager bounce, which we never get anyway.

As does threads like this. Two years ago we had this thread, people were all hot and wet for Steven Pressley because Coventry were doing quite well despite having to play home games at Northampton. Pressley subsequently bombed there, got the sack, could only get the Fleetwood job, and he's got the sack there as well.

A year ago Jackie McNamara featured on a couple of lists, because he'd brought young players through and played nice football at Dundee Utd. Now Dundee Utd had most of those players taken from them but still, he was sacked with them about to be relegated on the fourth biggest budget in the SPL. The only job he could get after that was York who he took from a position of safety into the relegation zone and out of the league altogether. He's just been sacked (then bizarrely made caretaker manager, and subsequently CEO) with York about to get relegated again, into Conference North this time, after a 6-1 defeat to bloody Guiseley.

A month ago people were giving it the old "I'd have that Wagner bloke from Huddersfield" who none of us had ever heard of 6 months ago, and has just been beaten 5-0 at Fulham as their decent start fades away.

Not easy this recruitment business, and we shouldn't let the idea it is manifest itself in casual calls for another sacking, or abuse of the club for getting it wrong. Hasselbaink was a very good candidate on paper and that was less than a year ago.

Stubbs is a hero for the Scottish Cup win and will never be forgotten at Hibs but his teams were too slow in general, lots that is complained about on here Stubbs was guilty of at Hibs.
Generally played a safe 11 with little width and pace, a lot of what JFH is given stick for, only difference was he did encourage the fullbacks to attack properly when a diamond midfield was used.
Michael O'Neill will be interesting wherever he ends up, he failed a Hibs manager interview (ex player too) many years ago and the blame was laid at liking a drink too much. He denies he is a drinker but he has said this was given as reason for not getting the job.
He was a slow starter in the NI job so maybe putting a few off?
Someone in Scotland who will likely never get a Championship job but has consistently done well with a miniscule budget is Tommy Wright at St Johnstone, he's into his 50's now and i don't know why he doesn't seem to get mentioned when jobs like Rotherham etc are available.
Login to get fewer ads

Next Manager... on 15:44 - Oct 31 with 2015 viewsPinnerPaul

Next Manager... on 23:02 - Oct 28 by DejR_vu

The problem isn't the frequent change in manager, it's the frequent wrong appointment

Funny how in the Championship clubs keep making the wrong appointment every 9 months isn't it?
Next Manager... on 16:16 - Oct 31 with 1973 viewsHunterhoop

Great post, Clive. Easy for us to hold accountable Les et al on appointment failures; not so comfortable when someone turns the tables and flags the progress of previous "great" suggestions.

On a similar vein, and in an effort to stitch myself up/enter in the "fun" of it all, I do genuinely think (and did when we appointed JFH) that Pearson would be a good appointment, if he can work under Les. One of the few managers out there who took a failing Champ side and got them into playoffs, then champions, in the following two seasons. And he got the foundations in place for Ranieri. Willing to dismiss the Derby spell on the grounds their chairman is fcking mental.

If not, Pearson, Clement would probably keep everyone happy for the QPR connections, but just don't see it happening.

Zola? Watford under him were quit exciting, but the ex-Chelsea angle reduces his lifespan.

Always thought someone like Steve Palmer or Gavin Mahon would have made goo coaches but they seem to have left football unless I'm mistaken.
Next Manager... on 18:30 - Oct 31 with 1888 viewsAntti_Heinola

Next Manager... on 14:23 - Oct 31 by Northernr

Very good post, and gets to the nub of a thorny issue.
Today, with the Cult of the Coach at all-time ludicrous levels, there's isn't a manager in the planet not berated weekly for his decisions, 'in game management' or tactics. Before Chelsea got Conte I started to genuinely think there wasn't a manager out there good enough, Pep having just gone elsewhere. They'd done Hiddink and Ancelotti and Mourinho. LVG was cast as a joke. Loew stays at Germany. Who the hell else is there? Even Pep gets called Fraudiola. I think many fans really do believe that the manager can control every player, all the time and every single thing that happens in a game of football is totally in his control.

Because of this, a new coach or manager - new blood - is always tempting. The fresh smell of freshness and the possibility of an immediate hit of something new and hopeful. And of course, that can happen. Only weeks ago people were crowing about how much better Jose was than LVG. Not now. And before that, how much better LVG was than Moyes, when reality the improvement wasn't particularly marked.

I don't like the 'if not our one then who?' arguments really, because there's always someone. But I guarantee you you'd find at least some fans on here that would turn their nose up if offered any other manager in this league - even Benitez. Some have cast longing glances at Steve Bruce because he git Hull up, but, seriously, the man has set up some very dreadful teams and after having a great season in the Prem with Hull spent an absolute sh!t bomb of money just to get them relegated. Even if he had come in, miraculously got us up, by this time next year there'd be voices saying he can't cut it in the Prem.

None of this should be a reason not to sack someone who is doing badly. But JFH is not 'incompetent' or 'clueless' - he's part of a big change at this club, he's finding it tough, and we're mid-table.

Bare bones.

Next Manager... on 17:41 - Nov 1 with 1738 viewsfrancisbowles

Next Manager... on 15:44 - Oct 31 by PinnerPaul

Funny how in the Championship clubs keep making the wrong appointment every 9 months isn't it?

And the reason is.........everybody's expectation levels are too high.....if you are not in the top 9 or 10 and not seriously making a challenge then let's make a change. Even at the end of the season if you finished third but lost in the play offs, you may not survive. Then if you do get promoted but are struggling around the bottom three, still not good enough to survive until Christmas or even the clocks going back!

No wonder managers are out for themselves and pay lip service to the future development of the club and it's young players. Whatever else Jimmy may do at least (it has been reported) he tries the young players and works on their development,
Next Manager... on 19:28 - Nov 1 with 1690 viewsWeaverQPR

Mad Malky Mackay

@WeavQPR

Next Manager... on 20:15 - Nov 1 with 1655 viewsGloucs_R

So back to my original post, nobody has a good suggestion if we were to replace Jimmy. We should have done it a month ago, now were stuck with him.

Next Manager... on 20:22 - Nov 1 with 1648 viewsHooparoo

Next Manager... on 20:15 - Nov 1 by Gloucs_R

So back to my original post, nobody has a good suggestion if we were to replace Jimmy. We should have done it a month ago, now were stuck with him.

Fck FFP, Guus Hiddink is available and give him the cheque book. We are slowly dying in the championship. The Prem is the only place to be IMHO. We won't survive the way we are going and neither will a lot of clubs in the football league.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Next Manager... on 20:27 - Nov 1 with 1639 viewsGloucs_R

Next Manager... on 20:22 - Nov 1 by Hooparoo

Fck FFP, Guus Hiddink is available and give him the cheque book. We are slowly dying in the championship. The Prem is the only place to be IMHO. We won't survive the way we are going and neither will a lot of clubs in the football league.

Football is fkd in general.

Next Manager... on 20:42 - Nov 1 with 1622 viewsHooparoo

Next Manager... on 20:27 - Nov 1 by Gloucs_R

Football is fkd in general.

Sadly, I have to agree with you.

Next Manager... on 20:51 - Nov 1 with 1613 viewsdaveB

That'll work, throw money at it, never failed for us in the past
Next Manager... on 21:04 - Nov 1 with 1597 viewsGloucs_R

Next Manager... on 20:51 - Nov 1 by daveB

That'll work, throw money at it, never failed for us in the past

I think he was being sarcastic

I hope he was being sarcastic

Next Manager... on 22:26 - Nov 1 with 1535 viewsNorthernr

Guus Hiddink. At our Championship club in a two thirds full 18,000 stadium with a training ground rented from a college? Oh yeh, he'll be crawling over broken glass on hands and knees to get here.
Next Manager... on 23:38 - Nov 1 with 1489 viewsCiderwithRsie

Can people really not see that a club where the only players we can afford are the sort of players we have is just not that attractive an option for managers in the first place, and it gets a hell of a lot less attractive the more often we sack managers?

In the past 10 years we have had two seasons - two bloody seasons - where we kept a manager for the whole season. (Incidentally, we got promoted in both of them.)

We had this crap under Briatore, who couldn't see that sacking (e.g.) Sousa before he'd had a chance to do anything would eventually lead us to having to appoint Paul Hart. (Yes, I know that eventually we got Warnock, but only after Briatore had been locked in the cupboard under the stairs by Mittal.) Now it seems the fans want to go through the same process - so we can be known not as the club with the mad owner but the club with there fans who hound out every manager that doesn't have the team at the top of the table within half a season of being able to put together his own team. Last time we were able to prise a manager away from Burton Albion. Next time it will be someone further down the food chain. Why would Nigel Clough want to leave Burton for us? What exactly is it about JFH's experience here, having done the same thing, that would be so attractive to Clough?

The need for stability is real and however disappointing Hasselbaink is right now unless we are about to get relegated changing him in mid-season will only make matters worse. In the summer, maybe - there probably will be more managers at the end of their contracts, the new guy will have a close season and maybe a transfer window to work with, and above all it might look like we are a club with some sort of a grip on things rather than just panicking all the time.

And if we stick with him maybe, just maybe, things will improve. That's not just mindless optimism - or at least not entirely - it really does take time to rebuild a club and Hasselbaink really has not had enough of it.
Next Manager... on 00:29 - Nov 2 with 1473 viewsHooped_Pullie

Next Manager... on 23:38 - Nov 1 by CiderwithRsie

Can people really not see that a club where the only players we can afford are the sort of players we have is just not that attractive an option for managers in the first place, and it gets a hell of a lot less attractive the more often we sack managers?

In the past 10 years we have had two seasons - two bloody seasons - where we kept a manager for the whole season. (Incidentally, we got promoted in both of them.)

We had this crap under Briatore, who couldn't see that sacking (e.g.) Sousa before he'd had a chance to do anything would eventually lead us to having to appoint Paul Hart. (Yes, I know that eventually we got Warnock, but only after Briatore had been locked in the cupboard under the stairs by Mittal.) Now it seems the fans want to go through the same process - so we can be known not as the club with the mad owner but the club with there fans who hound out every manager that doesn't have the team at the top of the table within half a season of being able to put together his own team. Last time we were able to prise a manager away from Burton Albion. Next time it will be someone further down the food chain. Why would Nigel Clough want to leave Burton for us? What exactly is it about JFH's experience here, having done the same thing, that would be so attractive to Clough?

The need for stability is real and however disappointing Hasselbaink is right now unless we are about to get relegated changing him in mid-season will only make matters worse. In the summer, maybe - there probably will be more managers at the end of their contracts, the new guy will have a close season and maybe a transfer window to work with, and above all it might look like we are a club with some sort of a grip on things rather than just panicking all the time.

And if we stick with him maybe, just maybe, things will improve. That's not just mindless optimism - or at least not entirely - it really does take time to rebuild a club and Hasselbaink really has not had enough of it.

Agree with the early points you make, the later ones just don't stack up, I'm afraid.

It would be deeply depressing to have to change the manager now - fully agree with that - but this theory that JFH will somehow come good seems like something of a fairytale. And if he did, by some miracle, the minute another club offering him more money comes in, he'd be off anyway, if nothing else the last few weeks have taught us what his personal priorities really are. Loyalty is increasingly rare in football, and we wouldn't be seeing any from this individual, that's for sure.

We should forget about Clough, he likes being based closer to the midlands, presumably for family reasons. Any one of the managers who've taken on new clubs in the last few weeks would have been good shouts, but the club hesitated and now it's the replacement list from hell.

Great work guys, an incumbent who could take us down or a procession of deadbeats. I initially thought Holloway till the end of the season might have been a good shout, but on reflection you'd have to find out why it went so badly wrong at The Den.

All very depressing.
Next Manager... on 07:43 - Nov 2 with 1441 viewsHooparoo

Next Manager... on 22:26 - Nov 1 by Northernr

Guus Hiddink. At our Championship club in a two thirds full 18,000 stadium with a training ground rented from a college? Oh yeh, he'll be crawling over broken glass on hands and knees to get here.

Guus took on the Socceroos job in 2005 when we were a "little" football nation and took us to the second round of the 2006 World Cup. He likes a challenge so why not? In a little over 2 years he completely transformed football at every level in this country. He is not just a manager, he is a force of nature.

What we're doing now is really working well too isn't it?

Next Manager... on 08:14 - Nov 2 with 1427 viewspaulparker

Next Manager... on 23:38 - Nov 1 by CiderwithRsie

JFH is more than disappointing , after a year in charge can anyone say we have improved ?
I get stability but where do you draw the line at the dross served up week in week out
I can count the amount of positive attacking performances under JFH on one hand
also if we are to put up with this garbage and if stability is the key word and an excuse for poor performances how about we are charged a tenner to get in
ive laid out just over £60 in 2 tickets for the Norwich games and paid that for the privilege to see Reading, Preston, Blackburn
you cannot charge that money and expect fans to go "oh well stability is the key" after Brentford run rings around us
lower the prices and maybe the expectations will be lower , because at the moment the atmosphere and attendances are bad and will continue to be that way

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Next Manager... on 08:55 - Nov 2 with 1408 viewstimcocking

Whoever it is, they'll do struggle here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024