Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Henderson on facebook 11:59 - Jun 20 with 38181 viewsjudd

To find out my 7 1/2 year association with AFC Rochdale was coming to an end via social media was a shock to say the least. I only received an email yesterday morning confirming that the offer the club had previously made to extend my contract was being retracted and I was therefore being released. I am not just shocked but unbelievably upset and disappointed to have found this out in this manner. It was always my intention to try and stay at Rochdale and make it to my testimonial year and try and become the all time top scorer of the football club.

I had been in negotiations with the football club, for some time, regarding an extension prior to the covid-19 pandemic but if I am honest the lines of communication were extremely inconsistent to say the least. I was not trying to ask for more money than what the club was offering and we ended up at a stand-off over some minor details. The negotiations became protracted and it became clear I was not being told the full truth. I would have thought with all that I have given to this football club over those 7 1/2 years would have meant I would have been treated with a level of respect, the same level of respect I have always shown them.

Anyway, unfortunately I will now be leaving a football club, so dear to mine and my family’s heart, but not in the way I had dreamed and envisioned it ending.

Finally I would like to thank the incredible supporters who I have always had such a special relationship and affinity with and I hope I have brought some happiness and joy to you throughout my time with the football club. I can leave knowing I left all that I could give out there on the football pitch and with my head held high. I am big enough to take things on the chin and one thing this current pandemic has shown us all is life is too short and precious and therefore I will not hold a grudge. Up the Dale.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:50 - Jun 21 with 2110 views442Dale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:43 - Jun 21 by D_Alien

Good stuff

Now is the time for the Dale Trust to stand up and be counted

For that reason, i'd suggest it's allowed to just get on with this meeting without being prompted by loads of requests/questions on here

The Trust know that all eyes will be on the questions it raises and, of course, the responses

No pressure then, as they say! But it also serves as a real opportunity to represent the fanbase, and possibly increase its membership going forward. And by represent the fanbase, that might include an awareness that not every voice we've heard takes Hendo's version of events fully on board

Also, they are aware that the questions sent by supporters two weeks ago to be asked to the club still require addressing (as they were promptly by Dan Altman and the Trust themselves). This would be covered when they mention “ongoing” matters.

The club will be under no illusions that this method of communication with supporters has to be used as a positive to keep everyone as informed as possible.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:02 - Jun 21 with 2046 viewsPeaky

Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:30 - Jun 21 by lurker

Read through all 7 pages so far and well aware I will never have all the facts. However, my opinion is based on the statement from the club at the point of announcing the retained list, what I can currently see with my own eyes right now and my general feelings based on past actions of the Dale board of Directors (and not just the current board).

I personally will not be putting any further money into this football club having supported them for over 35 years and will be pursuing a partial refund of my season ticket for unused games last year.

I am sick of our board ALWAYS taking the position of least risk financially. There is NEVER the least bit of a speculate to accumulate strategy employed. As a fan, I have a natural connection to the players & management and have no emotional connection to the ownership as I'm interested in football not business. My view even before Hendo's statement was that the released players had been treated in a shoddy manner and this just confirmed things.

There were a couple of other disappointing comments within the board statement when lines in between were read, but I can't be arsed going into these. Bottom line is lockdown has taught me football is not number one and my family's finances need looking after too, which has led to my feeling this way. I may have felt differently had I received a chink of any ambitious light from the club statement. I didn't. I love this club but I no longer have the motivation or funds to blindly support it no matter what.

I am with you on this one. I have been a dale supporter all my life and am a third generation. I have travelled up and down the country for years and gone above and beyond behind the scenes like many others. We have had both amazing and dire times at dale, but one thing has always shone through (the family atmosphere and real sense of togetherness).

How in any shape or form does anyone think telling someone they have lost there job by electronic form be ok. I don’t care if it’s text message, email or social media it’s not ok. When did we become such a sad fickle world that hides behind a screen when dealing with someone’s life (career).

Always three sides to every story but this is both sad and extremely disheartening. If you do not want to keep someone then have the nuts to tell them to their face. I know it’s a cut throat industry with poor loyalty and financial stability that is the priority, but this is about morality.

Awaiting the trust interview with great interest
Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:21 - Jun 21 with 1982 viewsTalkingSutty

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:42 - Jun 21 by 442Dale

Maybe, maybe not. But it’ll produce some more information for people to digest.

We can’t have a go at Bury fans for not pressuring their Trust and their club to ensure information is in the public domain without following a similar route ourselves.

Is it perfect? Of course not. But when people know they are accountable to a fanbase through an agreed process, it’s easier to illustrate where things are wrong and effect change.

Well that only works if you have a Supporters Trust that is independent from those who they are supposedly questioning and we obviously haven’t have we? Pre- set questions submitted to the Directors prior to Q&A sessions is bad enough but then when you bear in mind that the Chairman of the Trust is a friend of the CEOs and the CEOs girlfriend is a club employee and also a Trust committee member it all becomes a bit of a farce. It’s a cozy relationship that should never have been allowed to happen because the Trust is obviously compromised. So as a consequence of all this any meetings with the CEO and Directors means very little. I spoke with the CEO about 18 months ago and mentioned setting up an alternative Supporters group but he dismissed it out of hand and said he only wants to deal with the Trust. The fact that probably 80% of the fanbase choose not to join the Trust also speaks volumes...too close to the Club, just like Forever bury.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:24 - Jun 21 with 1966 viewsD_Alien

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:21 - Jun 21 by TalkingSutty

Well that only works if you have a Supporters Trust that is independent from those who they are supposedly questioning and we obviously haven’t have we? Pre- set questions submitted to the Directors prior to Q&A sessions is bad enough but then when you bear in mind that the Chairman of the Trust is a friend of the CEOs and the CEOs girlfriend is a club employee and also a Trust committee member it all becomes a bit of a farce. It’s a cozy relationship that should never have been allowed to happen because the Trust is obviously compromised. So as a consequence of all this any meetings with the CEO and Directors means very little. I spoke with the CEO about 18 months ago and mentioned setting up an alternative Supporters group but he dismissed it out of hand and said he only wants to deal with the Trust. The fact that probably 80% of the fanbase choose not to join the Trust also speaks volumes...too close to the Club, just like Forever bury.

The consequence of any meetings can be judged by each of us, as to whether it means little or not

It's an opportunity to demonstrate independence. Let's hope it's taken

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:25 - Jun 21 with 1959 viewsrubycon

What a shambolic state our club has reached. After finding hendo wants to stay I am appalled by the situation that has been allowed to develop. He wants to stay without a wage rise and I presume this board want him to stay so surely this is still possible? It only requires both parties to get together. Here we are with probably our best ever playing servant whose ability has been the difference between six years in league one and multiple memorable cup occasions and who is on the verge of a historic goal scoring record which all Dale fans would treat like a promotion (what a lift that would be after this pandemic) and what we hear is that he is no longer in the future plans sent by text ! (that's a disgrace in its own right). If this CEO/ board don't see that they aren't fit to carry this club forward and if they expect us to put season ticket money forward when the new season starts without trying to sort this out they can forget it as far as I and many fans I know are concerned.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:32 - Jun 21 with 1911 viewsBartRowou

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:25 - Jun 21 by rubycon

What a shambolic state our club has reached. After finding hendo wants to stay I am appalled by the situation that has been allowed to develop. He wants to stay without a wage rise and I presume this board want him to stay so surely this is still possible? It only requires both parties to get together. Here we are with probably our best ever playing servant whose ability has been the difference between six years in league one and multiple memorable cup occasions and who is on the verge of a historic goal scoring record which all Dale fans would treat like a promotion (what a lift that would be after this pandemic) and what we hear is that he is no longer in the future plans sent by text ! (that's a disgrace in its own right). If this CEO/ board don't see that they aren't fit to carry this club forward and if they expect us to put season ticket money forward when the new season starts without trying to sort this out they can forget it as far as I and many fans I know are concerned.

If both sides think there's been a communication breakdown, it's not impossible for them to get back around the webcam and sort it out. It'd be unusual but not impossible.

If it suits one or both parties for him not to be here, then that needs saying too.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:39 - Jun 21 with 1876 viewselectricblue

So the club saves about £600k annually.
If henderson is on £3.5k a week surely a 2yr deal can be agreed with the option of another season agreed by both parties..

But after what as happened would henderson want to come back!

Afterall the club did insult him......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:46 - Jun 21 with 1865 viewsrubycon

Hendo seems to imply there is a communication breakdown so its now up to the CEO to act if he wants to fix this disastrous scenario. We've got 3000 fans max and unless he's happy to lose a very large percent of those who won't forgive inaction he needs to start earning his wage instead of sucking up to the BBC and posing as Mr lower league spokesman.
Login to get fewer ads

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:47 - Jun 21 with 1857 views442Dale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:24 - Jun 21 by D_Alien

The consequence of any meetings can be judged by each of us, as to whether it means little or not

Indeed as we at least have an agreed route that all parties are aware they must follow.

If there are viable alternatives that achieve the aim that information reaches the public domain, let’s hear them and see if they’re able to be implemented.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:50 - Jun 21 with 1847 viewsTalkingSutty

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:24 - Jun 21 by D_Alien

Of course it can, some have full confidence in the Trust and others don’t. It’s not even personal with me, i like those who serve on the Trust Committee ( the ones I know) but to have Club employees on the Committee can’t be right, I think they have had Directors and CEOs on board in the past, i could be wrong with that though. I mean come on..a Q&A session but there is no interrogation on the answers given, what’s that all about? I’m not speaking out of turn, I’ve voiced my concerns to those running the Trust plenty of times. I do accept though that some are happy with the set up and feel as though they are being properly represented,
Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:00 - Jun 21 with 1801 viewsSuddenLad

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:42 - Jun 21 by 442Dale

Maybe, maybe not. But it’ll produce some more information for people to digest.

We can’t have a go at Bury fans for not pressuring their Trust and their club to ensure information is in the public domain without following a similar route ourselves.

Is it perfect? Of course not. But when people know they are accountable to a fanbase through an agreed process, it’s easier to illustrate where things are wrong and effect change.

That policy relies on and assumes that the answers will be fully truthful and that the entire story is told.

Too many times, the answers are economic, and people are increasingly getting the impression that the links between the Trust and the club are far too close for there to be a distinction between the two.

There needs to be a clear and distinct separation between the two. The clue is in the word 'Trust' and it's becoming more and more difficult to do so.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:42 - Jun 21 with 1701 viewsAtThePeake

Ian Henderson on facebook on 07:39 - Jun 21 by TalkingSutty

The difference in solidarity/television payments between L1 and L2 is about £500K/season. On top of that there is also a lot of extra revenue through the turnstiles, hospitality, bar takings etc. So it could amount to maybe £750K. Every team that is relegated, such as Tranmere have to make drastic cuts and reduce staff numbers etc. If we paid Hendo £200K /season it would give us a great chance of staying in this league so to just let him walk away is obviously false economy, it’s madness really...it’s either false economy or the actions of a boardroom that would rather be plying its trade in a lower league, paying less wages and having an easier environment in which to introduce the youth players. It’s definitely a lack of ambition because Henderson wasn’t showing any signs of slowing down in goalscoring terms, he was as fit as a fiddle.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 8:14]

The difference in solidarity payments between L1 and L2 is about £230k: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_parachute_and_solidarity_payments

Like everyone else, I have misgivings about the way the club is being run at the moment and I am devastated that we have lost Hendo has anyone who read my 'farewell' article the other day will know...

However, just because Henderson 'wanted to finish his career with us' doesn't mean that the deal he was willing to agree to in order to stay was suitable for the club. I'm really struggling to believe that those 'minor details' were so minor that they prevented the club from agreeing to them if he wasn't asking for more money. My opinion of the current board is pretty low but not low enough to think that they would immediately sever ties with a club legend based on some 'minor detail' changes to a contract offer they had been happy to make beforehand.

I also don't think keeping Henderson assures us staying up next season - nor that losing him consigns us to relegation. 12 months is a very, very long time in football and obviously there will be players arriving in the coming months. Hendo was a frankly incredible player for us and without him we wouldn't have stayed in the division in the last few seasons - but a lot of changes are going to happen in the coming months, not just at Dale but in League One and the whole sport. To suggest that we're heading for relegation before we've even started to consider signings for next season is a touch melodramatic for me.

Tangled up in blue.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:54 - Jun 21 with 1662 views49thseason

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:39 - Jun 21 by electricblue

So the club saves about £600k annually.
If henderson is on £3.5k a week surely a 2yr deal can be agreed with the option of another season agreed by both parties..

But after what as happened would henderson want to come back!

Afterall the club did insult him......

There is no saving if the club can't find a striker capable of keeping us in L1 and if they do find such a striker, he may want more than £4k a week!
The smart move is to try and sign 2 young strikers for similar money with the prospect of selling one or both at a future time of our choosing . Now who do we know with the expertise to help us uncover a couple of effective young strikers from somewhere?
Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:00 - Jun 21 with 1639 viewsSuddenLad

I agree ATP that losing Hendo doesn't equate to being relegated, but unless there is an adequate replacement already lined up and willing to sign, then sacking Hendo is a very, very risky and controversial strategy.

As you point out, massive changes are afoot, that will affect all clubs and will probably lead to mass exoduses elsewhere, but at the moment, things look stark and our future as a League One club now rests firmly and squarely with the bean counters. BBM will be limited to whatever budget he's given, so getting on his back will be futile.

The PR machine at Spotland is nothing short of a disaster and supporters will inevitably vote with their feet. There needs to be some encouraging and positive news to send out a clear message that the club seeks to PROGRESS UP the league not to run a campaign based on 'managed relegation' in order that the policy of blooding younger academy players in League 2 is a 'less risk' strategy.

I know of no supporter anywhere who goes to a match, to support his team being 'managed' into the next lower division so that they can prosper in a less demanding environment. It's a crackpot idea, to which no-one should subscribe and which will send the supporters running away in droves.

The idea needs debunking once and for all. Money needs to be spent on recruiting players who are able and willing to compete in League ONE and who are capable of taking the club forward, instead of the perennial 'looking over the shoulder' as we are becoming used to.

All that starts 'upstairs' at the club. BBM has my full support for the job he does and which he will continue to do, but that will only be possible if the means to do it are provided for him. Otherwise, he might as well not bother.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:08 - Jun 21 with 1601 viewsD_Alien

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:00 - Jun 21 by SuddenLad

I agree ATP that losing Hendo doesn't equate to being relegated, but unless there is an adequate replacement already lined up and willing to sign, then sacking Hendo is a very, very risky and controversial strategy.

As you point out, massive changes are afoot, that will affect all clubs and will probably lead to mass exoduses elsewhere, but at the moment, things look stark and our future as a League One club now rests firmly and squarely with the bean counters. BBM will be limited to whatever budget he's given, so getting on his back will be futile.

The PR machine at Spotland is nothing short of a disaster and supporters will inevitably vote with their feet. There needs to be some encouraging and positive news to send out a clear message that the club seeks to PROGRESS UP the league not to run a campaign based on 'managed relegation' in order that the policy of blooding younger academy players in League 2 is a 'less risk' strategy.

I know of no supporter anywhere who goes to a match, to support his team being 'managed' into the next lower division so that they can prosper in a less demanding environment. It's a crackpot idea, to which no-one should subscribe and which will send the supporters running away in droves.

The idea needs debunking once and for all. Money needs to be spent on recruiting players who are able and willing to compete in League ONE and who are capable of taking the club forward, instead of the perennial 'looking over the shoulder' as we are becoming used to.

All that starts 'upstairs' at the club. BBM has my full support for the job he does and which he will continue to do, but that will only be possible if the means to do it are provided for him. Otherwise, he might as well not bother.

Sorry SL, i broadly agree with your analysis but think it's wrong to use emotive terms such as "sacking" - which is inaccurate in any case

Similarly, stating we're doomed to relegation without the services of Hendo is quite simply unnecessary doom-mongering (don't mean you've said that). No-one knows how things will pan out, even with the stats of his goalscoring evident enough

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:09 - Jun 21 with 1601 viewsjonahwhereru

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:42 - Jun 21 by AtThePeake

The difference in solidarity payments between L1 and L2 is about £230k: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_parachute_and_solidarity_payments

Like everyone else, I have misgivings about the way the club is being run at the moment and I am devastated that we have lost Hendo has anyone who read my 'farewell' article the other day will know...

However, just because Henderson 'wanted to finish his career with us' doesn't mean that the deal he was willing to agree to in order to stay was suitable for the club. I'm really struggling to believe that those 'minor details' were so minor that they prevented the club from agreeing to them if he wasn't asking for more money. My opinion of the current board is pretty low but not low enough to think that they would immediately sever ties with a club legend based on some 'minor detail' changes to a contract offer they had been happy to make beforehand.

I also don't think keeping Henderson assures us staying up next season - nor that losing him consigns us to relegation. 12 months is a very, very long time in football and obviously there will be players arriving in the coming months. Hendo was a frankly incredible player for us and without him we wouldn't have stayed in the division in the last few seasons - but a lot of changes are going to happen in the coming months, not just at Dale but in League One and the whole sport. To suggest that we're heading for relegation before we've even started to consider signings for next season is a touch melodramatic for me.

And what a good well balance piece it was ATP, thank you.

As are your below comments. The lack of froth in your assessment is refreshing.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:13 - Jun 21 with 1587 viewsbilbobaggins

i think there are two sides to this storey and the top and bottom of it comes down to money the have and the have not.
dale fall into the have not and in the current climate as a business it would be madness to gamble that a quick change in the crowd status is going to change and money is going to be flowing in, to that i think the board have taken a massive but hard choice to let go some of the most expensive players.
if we have a second wave of this virus a lot of club will be sunk we will be in a moderate but stable situation.
and yes its a blow to lose good player but we have been there before and pulled throw
we will still have a football club to support with a ground
Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:15 - Jun 21 with 1578 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:42 - Jun 21 by AtThePeake

Very well said. Gutted as it stands that Hendo is going, but would love to know the full truth, before condemning the Club. However every employee of any organisation should be told in person face to face that their servIces are no longer required, if not possible, then at least by video or phone.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:22 - Jun 21 with 1556 viewsSuddenLad

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:08 - Jun 21 by D_Alien

Sorry SL, i broadly agree with your analysis but think it's wrong to use emotive terms such as "sacking" - which is inaccurate in any case

Similarly, stating we're doomed to relegation without the services of Hendo is quite simply unnecessary doom-mongering (don't mean you've said that). No-one knows how things will pan out, even with the stats of his goalscoring evident enough

How is it not a 'sacking'. Is it a redundancy? Services no longer required? Use of terminology such as 'We'll have to let you go' used by employers is simply to avoid using the word sacked. How else should it be described?

He was employed by RAFC, who have refused to renew his contract. He therefore has no job. It wasn't Hendo's decision to leave as he has made clear. How should it be described? Genuine question by the way.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:35 - Jun 21 with 1506 viewsisitme

Technically it is not a sacking as his contract has expired. He has also been offered a contract extension, although on terms at the time he viewed as being unacceptable.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:41 - Jun 21 with 1479 viewsSuddenLad

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:35 - Jun 21 by isitme

Technically it is not a sacking as his contract has expired. He has also been offered a contract extension, although on terms at the time he viewed as being unacceptable.

I accept your explanation - thank you. I was also basing my post on explanations used by managers being interviewed about their jobs. Frequently they refer to the end of season being very difficult when choosing which players stay and which go.

The oft used phrase' It's not easy telling someone they're being sacked' sticks in my mind. More than once I've heard it referred to in that way. Putting someone out of a job is easily described and understood that way.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:46 - Jun 21 with 1467 viewsstandale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 14:21 - Jun 21 by TalkingSutty

Set one up, doesn’t have to have a club approval, see how far you get... My guess would be not very far.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 17:06 - Jun 21 with 1405 viewsTalkingSutty

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:46 - Jun 21 by standale

Set one up, doesn’t have to have a club approval, see how far you get... My guess would be not very far.

Obviously it’s up to those running the Club which Supporters organisation they wish to engage with, i did ask the question and i got the answer. Who represents the 80% of fans who choose not to join the Trust and why does the CEO/ Directors not address the whole of the fanbase rather than the Trust? The only way the overwhelming majority of our fanbase would be able to access the reasoning behind Henderson’s exit would be to visit the Trusts website, that can’t be right!
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 17:07]
Ian Henderson on facebook on 17:32 - Jun 21 with 1334 viewsstandale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 17:06 - Jun 21 by TalkingSutty

Obviously it’s up to those running the Club which Supporters organisation they wish to engage with, i did ask the question and i got the answer. Who represents the 80% of fans who choose not to join the Trust and why does the CEO/ Directors not address the whole of the fanbase rather than the Trust? The only way the overwhelming majority of our fanbase would be able to access the reasoning behind Henderson’s exit would be to visit the Trusts website, that can’t be right!
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 17:07]

My analogy is, is that it’s probably better to have 20% of the fan base together as a united voice than 80% of disunited people with all differing positions. I’ve never joined the trust before, but because of everything that’s happened swiftly over the last twelve month and it only being a fiver this year I have joined. If I don’t like what I get, I’ll not join again.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 17:40 - Jun 21 with 1300 viewsD_Alien

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:22 - Jun 21 by SuddenLad

How is it not a 'sacking'. Is it a redundancy? Services no longer required? Use of terminology such as 'We'll have to let you go' used by employers is simply to avoid using the word sacked. How else should it be described?

He was employed by RAFC, who have refused to renew his contract. He therefore has no job. It wasn't Hendo's decision to leave as he has made clear. How should it be described? Genuine question by the way.

Just picked up on this

I see you've accepted isitme's explanation - scratching my head as to why that explanation wasn't obvious to you

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024