Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Henderson on facebook 11:59 - Jun 20 with 38379 viewsjudd

To find out my 7 1/2 year association with AFC Rochdale was coming to an end via social media was a shock to say the least. I only received an email yesterday morning confirming that the offer the club had previously made to extend my contract was being retracted and I was therefore being released. I am not just shocked but unbelievably upset and disappointed to have found this out in this manner. It was always my intention to try and stay at Rochdale and make it to my testimonial year and try and become the all time top scorer of the football club.

I had been in negotiations with the football club, for some time, regarding an extension prior to the covid-19 pandemic but if I am honest the lines of communication were extremely inconsistent to say the least. I was not trying to ask for more money than what the club was offering and we ended up at a stand-off over some minor details. The negotiations became protracted and it became clear I was not being told the full truth. I would have thought with all that I have given to this football club over those 7 1/2 years would have meant I would have been treated with a level of respect, the same level of respect I have always shown them.

Anyway, unfortunately I will now be leaving a football club, so dear to mine and my family’s heart, but not in the way I had dreamed and envisioned it ending.

Finally I would like to thank the incredible supporters who I have always had such a special relationship and affinity with and I hope I have brought some happiness and joy to you throughout my time with the football club. I can leave knowing I left all that I could give out there on the football pitch and with my head held high. I am big enough to take things on the chin and one thing this current pandemic has shown us all is life is too short and precious and therefore I will not hold a grudge. Up the Dale.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 23:15 - Jun 20 with 2671 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 23:06 - Jun 20 by 56years

I never answer questions until I know the full facts, perhaps you should try it?

Coward.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 23:25 - Jun 20 with 2606 viewsJames1980

Ian Henderson on facebook on 23:06 - Jun 20 by 56years

I never answer questions until I know the full facts, perhaps you should try it?

I'm not sure most of us mere mortals will ever be privvy to all the facts. Whether it was agent 1 agent 2 BBM or Bottomley. Henderson should have been told via a phone or video call he was being released before anyone else was informed. The finer points could have been included in an email sent after he had been told.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 23:41 - Jun 20 with 2540 viewsSandyman

Ian Henderson on facebook on 23:25 - Jun 20 by James1980

I'm not sure most of us mere mortals will ever be privvy to all the facts. Whether it was agent 1 agent 2 BBM or Bottomley. Henderson should have been told via a phone or video call he was being released before anyone else was informed. The finer points could have been included in an email sent after he had been told.

Basic decency and professionalism towards an employee who has excelled in his role. Not the first time RAFC has been lacking in that respect. That so many supporters are annoyed by the shoddy attitude of the club towards an excellent asset speaks volumes about how poor the people skills are in the boardroom. Ask any Goldbond agent.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 00:02 - Jun 21 with 2468 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 23:41 - Jun 20 by Sandyman

Basic decency and professionalism towards an employee who has excelled in his role. Not the first time RAFC has been lacking in that respect. That so many supporters are annoyed by the shoddy attitude of the club towards an excellent asset speaks volumes about how poor the people skills are in the boardroom. Ask any Goldbond agent.

Ah, c'mon. He was out of work and we gave him a job. Got us a few goals that anyone could have scored, got well rewarded and even had his own song that we didnt charge him for.

It's a young kids game nowadays - just look at Subbuteo models - and Hendo can't be sold so it's best to get rid.

Did you tell him?

Eh? Why would we? He's as big a mug as you lot if you think I erm we do dignity and integrity.

What does the manager think?

I, erm, we haven't told him what to think yet.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 00:02 - Jun 21 with 2462 viewsJames1980

Is it a case they are not learning from their mistakes or are they that arrogant they think there is nothing to apologise for?
Surely a brief apology and holding statement regarding an internal investigation as to how Henderson found out via social media first and not from a club official is the absolute minimum the club should have issued by now.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 07:39 - Jun 21 with 2272 viewsTalkingSutty

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:10 - Jun 20 by Shun

I’d be intrigued whether the fee spent on Henderson’s contract would’ve been more or less than the amount it’ll cost us to drop from League One to Two, because I hope nobody at the club is under the illusion that’s not where we’re going.

The difference in solidarity/television payments between L1 and L2 is about £500K/season. On top of that there is also a lot of extra revenue through the turnstiles, hospitality, bar takings etc. So it could amount to maybe £750K. Every team that is relegated, such as Tranmere have to make drastic cuts and reduce staff numbers etc. If we paid Hendo £200K /season it would give us a great chance of staying in this league so to just let him walk away is obviously false economy, it’s madness really...it’s either false economy or the actions of a boardroom that would rather be plying its trade in a lower league, paying less wages and having an easier environment in which to introduce the youth players. It’s definitely a lack of ambition because Henderson wasn’t showing any signs of slowing down in goalscoring terms, he was as fit as a fiddle.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 8:14]
Ian Henderson on facebook on 08:12 - Jun 21 with 2229 viewsnordenblue

Ian Henderson on facebook on 23:04 - Jun 20 by VivaDonaldo

I think any reasonable person would say yes.

Whether Hendo is telling the whole truth here is another matter that will hopefully be clarified in the coming days.

Judging by history I'm fully confident whos "truth" I'd gladly side with, a chap who's conducted himself nothing but a role model or others who seem to really struggle with their current inflated position at the club, good of our imaginary chairman to clear the situation up once again though,top effort
Ian Henderson on facebook on 09:19 - Jun 21 with 2146 viewsAlexF

Hendo has decided to give the Board a kick on his way out, I dont blame him. I suspect he’s done it on behalf of all the players. I’m surprised more hasnt yet come out over current outrageous events. Strange times. Hard to imagine any kind of team spirit going forwards. Thanks for the memories Ian.
Login to get fewer ads

Ian Henderson on facebook on 09:50 - Jun 21 with 2084 viewselectricblue

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:28 - Jun 20 by judd

Should he have been phoned up/skyped/zoomed/ invited in to the club?

Yes or no?

Yes he should have been face timed, skyped whatever by BBM.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Ian Henderson on facebook on 09:51 - Jun 21 with 2075 viewsJimmyRustler

It would be interesting to financially weigh up the difference between the loss in revenue following relegation to League 2 and the extra financial cost of giving Hendo what he wanted.

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that we weren't guaranteed to stay up if he signed. But we are absolutely consigned to relegation without him. I refuse to comment on the communication issue because it boils my piss far too much to even talk about it.

Although very out of the ordinary, I feel that the club needs to issue some sort of statement in response, even if it's only to clear the air. Jones, Dunphy and now Henderson; sometimes I feel ashamed to support this club
Ian Henderson on facebook on 10:05 - Jun 21 with 2046 viewsJames1980

Considering the 'upfront fees' for Adshead and Matheson that some deem to have been too low, at the time, and now failing to secure Henderson's signature when he clearly wanted to see out his career at Rochdale, could it possibly be degree of incompetence when it comes to negotiating deals.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 10:12 - Jun 21 with 2032 viewselectricblue

Ian Henderson on facebook on 10:05 - Jun 21 by James1980

Considering the 'upfront fees' for Adshead and Matheson that some deem to have been too low, at the time, and now failing to secure Henderson's signature when he clearly wanted to see out his career at Rochdale, could it possibly be degree of incompetence when it comes to negotiating deals.

What where the upfront fees for those two!
Are dale due anything from the cannon deal !

I can see this season being a real struggle tbh......
Many players may stay as local as possible to their home and not travel.......
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 10:14]

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Ian Henderson on facebook on 10:28 - Jun 21 with 1991 viewsJames1980

Ian Henderson on facebook on 10:12 - Jun 21 by electricblue

Wasn't it £300k and £1million. I expect there will add ons on all deals including Rafferty and Cannon.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 10:31]

Ian Henderson on facebook on 10:28 - Jun 21 with 1988 viewsrochedale

From Hendo’s post, it’s clear he wanted to stay. I find it hard to believe that there can’t be some middle ground to be found with a deal still possible. Bottomley could really do himself a massive favour here and sort this mess out. I fear that he will just ‘weather the storm’ though which is what generally happens when fan base uproar occurs.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 10:51 - Jun 21 with 1925 viewsjonahwhereru

On the communication front. It was the board’s decision to withdraw the contract. BBM was entitled to say to them this is your mess you tell Hendo the news. Perhaps they bottled it.

Regarding the loss of a prolific striker, we have rarely been without a good goal scorer in the last 20 years. So statistically we are odds on to find a player good enough to bag sufficient goals make an impact on the league position. Mind stats are only stats. Think it is Hendo’s longevity and consistency people want to replace. That is not going happen. Steve Whitehall was the last striker to be around any length of time. The rest went to fill the coffers. There will be life after Hendo, but please who pitches up let’s not way him down with the expectation he has to be a new legend.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 10:52 - Jun 21 with 1924 viewsrichfoad32

Ian Henderson on facebook on 10:12 - Jun 21 by electricblue

Then surely this will give us an advantage in negotiations for those players based in the north west?
Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:30 - Jun 21 with 1825 viewslurker

Read through all 7 pages so far and well aware I will never have all the facts. However, my opinion is based on the statement from the club at the point of announcing the retained list, what I can currently see with my own eyes right now and my general feelings based on past actions of the Dale board of Directors (and not just the current board).

I personally will not be putting any further money into this football club having supported them for over 35 years and will be pursuing a partial refund of my season ticket for unused games last year.

I am sick of our board ALWAYS taking the position of least risk financially. There is NEVER the least bit of a speculate to accumulate strategy employed. As a fan, I have a natural connection to the players & management and have no emotional connection to the ownership as I'm interested in football not business. My view even before Hendo's statement was that the released players had been treated in a shoddy manner and this just confirmed things.

There were a couple of other disappointing comments within the board statement when lines in between were read, but I can't be arsed going into these. Bottom line is lockdown has taught me football is not number one and my family's finances need looking after too, which has led to my feeling this way. I may have felt differently had I received a chink of any ambitious light from the club statement. I didn't. I love this club but I no longer have the motivation or funds to blindly support it no matter what.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:47 - Jun 21 with 1766 viewsDalenet

Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:30 - Jun 21 by lurker

Read through all 7 pages so far and well aware I will never have all the facts. However, my opinion is based on the statement from the club at the point of announcing the retained list, what I can currently see with my own eyes right now and my general feelings based on past actions of the Dale board of Directors (and not just the current board).

I personally will not be putting any further money into this football club having supported them for over 35 years and will be pursuing a partial refund of my season ticket for unused games last year.

I am sick of our board ALWAYS taking the position of least risk financially. There is NEVER the least bit of a speculate to accumulate strategy employed. As a fan, I have a natural connection to the players & management and have no emotional connection to the ownership as I'm interested in football not business. My view even before Hendo's statement was that the released players had been treated in a shoddy manner and this just confirmed things.

There were a couple of other disappointing comments within the board statement when lines in between were read, but I can't be arsed going into these. Bottom line is lockdown has taught me football is not number one and my family's finances need looking after too, which has led to my feeling this way. I may have felt differently had I received a chink of any ambitious light from the club statement. I didn't. I love this club but I no longer have the motivation or funds to blindly support it no matter what.

The emotion of what has happened is raw and I am annoyed as you about the outcome.

But we should reflect on where we are. I don't think we can argue that there has been no ambition. We more than doubled the playing budget in 4 years and invested in quite a successful academy. The club bought the ground back too. That does show some ambition from a Board that gets little support from the wider population of the borough. So I don't accept the lack of ambition argument

We also know that the club is facing uncertainty. It has no idea when it will get revenue back and the furlough scheme doesn't last forever. A Board has a legal duty to manage the budgets to a level they can afford. Without income or loans it won't survive so I get why we have to make some hard decisions

That doesn't in any way excuse the way it is done. Even in the worst of times you have to have integrity and show respect. It pays you back in spades when you do. I am not sure how I feel today, or whether I can continue to support the club over the next season and there will be many that can't either through health restrictions or lack of cash. Lets not try and allienate the few fans there is in the town or this will be another nail...
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:34 - Jun 21 with 1656 viewsSalegraham

Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:47 - Jun 21 by Dalenet

The emotion of what has happened is raw and I am annoyed as you about the outcome.

But we should reflect on where we are. I don't think we can argue that there has been no ambition. We more than doubled the playing budget in 4 years and invested in quite a successful academy. The club bought the ground back too. That does show some ambition from a Board that gets little support from the wider population of the borough. So I don't accept the lack of ambition argument

We also know that the club is facing uncertainty. It has no idea when it will get revenue back and the furlough scheme doesn't last forever. A Board has a legal duty to manage the budgets to a level they can afford. Without income or loans it won't survive so I get why we have to make some hard decisions

That doesn't in any way excuse the way it is done. Even in the worst of times you have to have integrity and show respect. It pays you back in spades when you do. I am not sure how I feel today, or whether I can continue to support the club over the next season and there will be many that can't either through health restrictions or lack of cash. Lets not try and allienate the few fans there is in the town or this will be another nail...

First and foremost the way Hendo found out is all wrong if that is true,but he(Hendo) had 6 months warning of this. What is a player in a lower league doing with 2 agents anyway,that must confuse the descussions, given that Hendo's running a business as well, I think he's took his eyes of the ball.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:53 - Jun 21 with 1602 viewsSuddenLad

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:34 - Jun 21 by Salegraham

First and foremost the way Hendo found out is all wrong if that is true,but he(Hendo) had 6 months warning of this. What is a player in a lower league doing with 2 agents anyway,that must confuse the descussions, given that Hendo's running a business as well, I think he's took his eyes of the ball.

Whatever his personal circumstances, Ian Henderson deserved to be told in person - either a direct telephone call, or a face-to-face meeting, even if that meant driving to Worsley to see him at home. The manner in which it has been done is inexcusable.

Secondly, and importantly, this utterly anonymous Chairman should be thoroughly ashamed of himself. He is a complete embarrassment and not worthy of the position he holds. If he cannot emerge from his long term self-imposed exile, to offer a few public and personal words to mark the exit of probably the greatest all-round player in the clubs' history, then he should seriously consider his position.

I'm almost ashamed to say I support Dale at the moment. Something is very wrong at the core of this club if we persistently treat people with an utter lack of respect. It's becoming a theme. Whatever happened to professional integrity and basic decency?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:23 - Jun 21 with 1517 views442Dale

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:37 - Jun 21 with 1482 viewsTalkingSutty

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:23 - Jun 21 by 442Dale

....that should clear everything up then!
Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:42 - Jun 21 with 1464 views442Dale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:37 - Jun 21 by TalkingSutty

Maybe, maybe not. But it’ll produce some more information for people to digest.

We can’t have a go at Bury fans for not pressuring their Trust and their club to ensure information is in the public domain without following a similar route ourselves.

Is it perfect? Of course not. But when people know they are accountable to a fanbase through an agreed process, it’s easier to illustrate where things are wrong and effect change.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:43 - Jun 21 with 1454 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:37 - Jun 21 by TalkingSutty

Yes, let's hope so.

The club insists that the statement is untrue in its entirety and that the perpetrator has been asked to withdraw it in full and issue a correcting apology.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:43 - Jun 21 with 1452 viewsD_Alien

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:23 - Jun 21 by 442Dale

Good stuff

Now is the time for the Dale Trust to stand up and be counted

For that reason, i'd suggest it's allowed to just get on with this meeting without being prompted by loads of requests/questions on here

The Trust know that all eyes will be on the questions it raises and, of course, the responses

No pressure then, as they say! But it also serves as a real opportunity to represent the fanbase, and possibly increase its membership going forward. And by represent the fanbase, that might include an awareness that not every voice we've heard takes Hendo's version of events fully on board

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024