Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Henderson on facebook 11:59 - Jun 20 with 38178 viewsjudd

To find out my 7 1/2 year association with AFC Rochdale was coming to an end via social media was a shock to say the least. I only received an email yesterday morning confirming that the offer the club had previously made to extend my contract was being retracted and I was therefore being released. I am not just shocked but unbelievably upset and disappointed to have found this out in this manner. It was always my intention to try and stay at Rochdale and make it to my testimonial year and try and become the all time top scorer of the football club.

I had been in negotiations with the football club, for some time, regarding an extension prior to the covid-19 pandemic but if I am honest the lines of communication were extremely inconsistent to say the least. I was not trying to ask for more money than what the club was offering and we ended up at a stand-off over some minor details. The negotiations became protracted and it became clear I was not being told the full truth. I would have thought with all that I have given to this football club over those 7 1/2 years would have meant I would have been treated with a level of respect, the same level of respect I have always shown them.

Anyway, unfortunately I will now be leaving a football club, so dear to mine and my family’s heart, but not in the way I had dreamed and envisioned it ending.

Finally I would like to thank the incredible supporters who I have always had such a special relationship and affinity with and I hope I have brought some happiness and joy to you throughout my time with the football club. I can leave knowing I left all that I could give out there on the football pitch and with my head held high. I am big enough to take things on the chin and one thing this current pandemic has shown us all is life is too short and precious and therefore I will not hold a grudge. Up the Dale.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:09 - Jun 21 with 2790 viewstodmordendale

I’m sure that most clubs would not be foolhardy to offer a player who is 36 in January more than 1 year.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:12 - Jun 21 with 2778 viewsfitzochris

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:08 - Jun 21 by James1980

And of course it should still go ahead.

Yes James. It should.

There is too much stuff going on behind the scenes that is muddying the waters - Henderson did this/the board did that, Henderson wanted this/the board offered that.

Regardless, this whole affair will damage the club, so I sincerely hope the Trust get the answers the supporters deserve, to at least help repair some of it.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:13 - Jun 21 with 2774 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:09 - Jun 21 by todmordendale

I’m sure that most clubs would not be foolhardy to offer a player who is 36 in January more than 1 year.

The club did offer him a multi year deal.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:15 - Jun 21 with 2756 viewsnordenblue

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:09 - Jun 21 by todmordendale

Whys that,is it unheard of to play past 36/37?
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 22:15]
Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:37 - Jun 21 with 2681 viewsJames1980

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:12 - Jun 21 by fitzochris

Yes James. It should.

There is too much stuff going on behind the scenes that is muddying the waters - Henderson did this/the board did that, Henderson wanted this/the board offered that.

Regardless, this whole affair will damage the club, so I sincerely hope the Trust get the answers the supporters deserve, to at least help repair some of it.

I guess that could also include the whole email business as well.
Btw sorry for the outburst the other day.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 14:49]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:43 - Jun 21 with 2652 viewsfinberty

Another troubling aspect is the timing of the post, when he is still an employee. Very different from posting mid July when a free agent.

All very sad.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 01:00 - Jun 22 with 2500 viewspioneer

If (and its a big if) all but the 'minor details' were agreed some time ago, club might have taken opportunity to back track/get out of the financial agreement previously settled because of C19. But can understand Hendo being pi**ed off if that is whats happened.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 03:46 - Jun 22 with 2462 viewspioneer

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:57 - Jun 20 by boromat

Gary Jones
Chris Dunphy
Ian Henderson

Think we have found an area we need to improve in.

Not forgetting Reg Jenkins back in '73. Simply released then shared a testimonial with Graham Smith and Dennis Butler the following season - the worst season in our history.
Login to get fewer ads

Ian Henderson on facebook on 09:24 - Jun 22 with 2242 views56years

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:08 - Jun 21 by judd

Of course. There were no other sides available when I posted it.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story - some of us suggested that before jumping to conclusions we should wait to hear both sides of the story but as usual we were 'shouted down' by certain members of this Forum. I seem to remember you called me 'Coward' for refusing to answer a question before I had heard from both 'sides' - a true keyboard 'warrior'.
Frankly I am not at all surprised that the Trust do not post on the Forum!
[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 9:30]
Ian Henderson on facebook on 10:54 - Jun 22 with 2097 viewsjonahwhereru

Ian Henderson on facebook on 22:43 - Jun 21 by finberty

Another troubling aspect is the timing of the post, when he is still an employee. Very different from posting mid July when a free agent.

All very sad.

It’s not unknown for Hendo to lash out in haste. It’s part of his psychological make up. We just haven’t seen it for a while. This time when the lid flew of boy did it go!
Interesting he but the cart before the horse in his quote. Anger first, then detail, then cools it down with not bearing a grudge.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:01 - Jun 22 with 2076 viewsDaleiLama

Bottom line - all parties will be judged on the response to this impasse. The club, the trust and Hendo himself. A whitewash is certainly not what is needed. Clearing the air is. I don't think anyone wants to see dirty laundry washed in public, but we do need to hear the truth.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:16 - Jun 22 with 2026 viewsD_Alien

Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:01 - Jun 22 by DaleiLama

Bottom line - all parties will be judged on the response to this impasse. The club, the trust and Hendo himself. A whitewash is certainly not what is needed. Clearing the air is. I don't think anyone wants to see dirty laundry washed in public, but we do need to hear the truth.

"I don't think anyone wants to see dirty laundry washed in public..."

Won't that be the bottom line?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:20 - Jun 22 with 2009 viewsjudd

Ian Henderson on facebook on 09:24 - Jun 22 by 56years

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story - some of us suggested that before jumping to conclusions we should wait to hear both sides of the story but as usual we were 'shouted down' by certain members of this Forum. I seem to remember you called me 'Coward' for refusing to answer a question before I had heard from both 'sides' - a true keyboard 'warrior'.
Frankly I am not at all surprised that the Trust do not post on the Forum!
[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 9:30]

Go back and read the actual question.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:41 - Jun 22 with 1946 viewselectricblue

Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:01 - Jun 22 by DaleiLama

Can the board be trusted on telling the truth!!

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:18 - Jun 22 with 1848 viewsHopwoodblue

I don’t think it’s what decision was made but did the club act in a proper and professional manner when dealing with the Henderson situation ?
I also wonder what BBM’s thoughts are on this and whether he was involved in the decision not to offer a new contract to Henderson ?
For all we know BBM could be contemplating his own future at the club.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:30 - Jun 22 with 1799 viewsnordenblue

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:18 - Jun 22 by Hopwoodblue

I don’t think it’s what decision was made but did the club act in a proper and professional manner when dealing with the Henderson situation ?
I also wonder what BBM’s thoughts are on this and whether he was involved in the decision not to offer a new contract to Henderson ?
For all we know BBM could be contemplating his own future at the club.

I'm guessing with BBM saying at the forum he "hoped" hendo would extend his contract and talks were positive youd like to believe he actually wanted him to remain,id be massively pissed off if I was BBM and the board have/had done all this behind his back, as he does come across as a very honest decent bloke.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:45 - Jun 22 with 1762 viewsboromat

It sounds to me Hendo wanted to stay the club wanted him to stay but the agents have failed in getting the deal done. I also wonder if the agents being involved have caused the breakdown in communication.

First game back in the ground for the fans should have a 40th minute recognition for the Dale legend! I think us fans should at least show our appreciation for one final time.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:10 - Jun 22 with 1705 viewsstandale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 12:45 - Jun 22 by boromat

It sounds to me Hendo wanted to stay the club wanted him to stay but the agents have failed in getting the deal done. I also wonder if the agents being involved have caused the breakdown in communication.

First game back in the ground for the fans should have a 40th minute recognition for the Dale legend! I think us fans should at least show our appreciation for one final time.

Maybe the trust can arrange some kind of an award that he can receive on behalf of the supporters.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:46 - Jun 22 with 1611 viewsDaleiLama

Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:16 - Jun 22 by D_Alien

"I don't think anyone wants to see dirty laundry washed in public..."

Won't that be the bottom line?

It could be the bottom ley line? Normally you would follow them, but …….

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:47 - Jun 22 with 1608 viewsDaleiLama

Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:41 - Jun 22 by electricblue

Ask me again Tuesday teatime if the Trust have published feedback by then?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:02 - Jun 22 with 1458 viewsJames1980

Please accept my apologies for putting text message instead of email. I have edited messages accordingly.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Ian Henderson on facebook on 15:04 - Jun 22 with 1456 viewsChaffRAFC

Ian Henderson on facebook on 11:41 - Jun 22 by electricblue

Can Hendo or his agents?

There will be three versions of this story, the club's, Ian Henderson's, and the truth.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:04 - Jun 22 with 1308 viewsEllDale

Come to think of it there could be four versions even!
The club, the player, the agent(s) and the truth.
Who knows?
Perhaps the club told the agents it was all off as they were representing the player?
Perhaps the facebook message was a desperate effort to try and portray the player as being the innocent in all this?
It looks to me though that someone had been briefing the media.
There was Minay's tweet, the fact that Aaron Wilbraham had been talking to another journalist and that Callum Camps had plenty of time to edit and post his video valediction.
When you get longer in the tooth you get philosophical about comings and goings.
I remember fans being up in arms when Laurie Calloway and Dave Storf were sold.
I was devastated to an extent when Grant Holt left.
Much as a I admire, like and respect Hendo we might have been kicking off in twelve months if his scoring form had deserted him and he was taking up a major chunk of the wagebill.
The directors are desperately waiting for all this to blow over.
Which it will.
Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:19 - Jun 22 with 1256 viewssweetcorn

What a sorry end to an amazing journey, both for the club and the player.

We don’t get many players/managers who earn cult legend at Rochdale, but the last 3 we’ve had have all left under a dark cloud, it’s disappointing.

We need to get lucky in this transfer window if we’re going to stay up, because Henderson’s goals need replacing, there’s no one in that squad who even looks capable of scoring 10, never mind 20.

A hogan rather than a Muldoon cheers BBM.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 16:19]

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Ian Henderson on facebook on 16:34 - Jun 22 with 1187 viewsstandale

Ian Henderson on facebook on 13:10 - Jun 22 by standale

Maybe the trust can arrange some kind of an award that he can receive on behalf of the supporters.

Or maybe not, find that a bit despicable to lie to the fans. Footballing legend for the dale, not so as a person it seems.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024