Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 01:18 - Sep 29 with 195270 viewsDr_Parnassus

Who will be watching? First one kicks off in 24 hours time.

The Democrats have pulled Joe back from his campaign trail recently to get him prepared, so hopefully it will be a decent exchange.

Unfortunately they don’t seem to have great confidence as they have spent the last month looking for any dirt they can dig up so Joe can use if he gets stuck.

It’s no coincidence that this vote influencing Facebook algorithm story is being shamelessly and inaccurately made into a race issue on the eve of the debates. So transparent and disingenuous, it’s a shame politics has come to this on this level where black people are being used in this way to score political points. I would be furious if I was them, but it does seem a lot of people are not falling for this one and calling it out for what it is.

People finally seem to be getting wise to this political race baiting which is refreshing to see.

It’s also telling that in the week of the debate they try and paint Trump as a tax evasion offender. I think that’s what they wanted the tax returns to show, they seem to have got annoyed when it turns out his tax returns were fine in accordance to what his companies profits were - but decided to run with it anyway. Any news is good news in their mind as it’s another thing Joe can use when in a tricky spot.

But I hope the discussions remain political and doesn’t turn into some form of gossip peddling reality TV episode.

Although I think there should be some kind of drinking game involved if it does turn that way, how many times Biden completely loses his thread of thought and blurts out “I mean, think about it...” you have to take a shot.

I will be watching with great interest anyway.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 17:40 - Dec 3 with 1707 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 17:34 - Dec 3 by londonlisa2001

It’s not an opinion.

Whether something is or isn’t a ‘word’ isn’t a case of whether people use it or not. Pronouncing it R.I.N.O. would make it an initialism. Initialisms are differentiated by the initial letters being pronounced separately (BBC). Acronyms are types of initialisms that are pronounced as though words whether they actually are or aren’t (largely pronounced that way because they can be to be honest - you can’t pronounce BBC as though a word).

Some acronyms are now ‘words in their own right‘ (radar, scuba) and some are not. I think NASA is now a word in its own right (a rare example of one that is still generally capitalised by most - radar is not written RADAR any longer -although obviously it once was - most acronyms that become words in their own right drop the capitalisation).

There’s a definitive list of ‘words’ in the English language that includes those that are still in usage and those that have ever been in usage. Not all things that are pronounced or used as though words are actually words. And not everything that is included in a substandard online dictionary is either btw, before you bombard us with ‘proof’.

Quite why I would be biased as to whether RINO is a word or not is beyond me. It will be one day I imagine given how common its usage is. Until then, you’ll have to content yourself with rhino (noun, informal, rhinoceros).

Sorry, you stiil have provided no proof of anything.
Just a load of waffle and verbiage.
Much like scotia does.
Perhaps you can prove how a descriptive spoken word is not a word?

The bias I mentioned comes in 2 forms, support of Prof, who is as wrong as you and dislike of anything I write.
Take your pick.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 17:45]
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 17:46 - Dec 3 with 1700 viewslondonlisa2001

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 17:40 - Dec 3 by A_Fans_Dad

Sorry, you stiil have provided no proof of anything.
Just a load of waffle and verbiage.
Much like scotia does.
Perhaps you can prove how a descriptive spoken word is not a word?

The bias I mentioned comes in 2 forms, support of Prof, who is as wrong as you and dislike of anything I write.
Take your pick.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 17:45]

I gave you the proof in the post you previously replied to mun.

Not in the OED (the scrabble bit was tongue in cheek).

I don’t dislike anything you write, I think you’re bloody hilarious as I’ve said on any number of occasions.
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 18:04 - Dec 3 with 1680 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 17:46 - Dec 3 by londonlisa2001

I gave you the proof in the post you previously replied to mun.

Not in the OED (the scrabble bit was tongue in cheek).

I don’t dislike anything you write, I think you’re bloody hilarious as I’ve said on any number of occasions.

Then you must be supporting prof, who needs all the support he can get.
No you proved nothing, where does it state that a spoken and written word is not a word or nouns not actual words?
Next you will declaring nouns non words as well.
I have already posted 2 that say that it is a word, because many acronyms are.

ps I know why don't you get in touch with the dictionaries that say it is a word and argue that they are wrong, I am sure that they will be well impressed.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 18:05]
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 20:00 - Dec 3 with 1635 viewslondonlisa2001

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 18:04 - Dec 3 by A_Fans_Dad

Then you must be supporting prof, who needs all the support he can get.
No you proved nothing, where does it state that a spoken and written word is not a word or nouns not actual words?
Next you will declaring nouns non words as well.
I have already posted 2 that say that it is a word, because many acronyms are.

ps I know why don't you get in touch with the dictionaries that say it is a word and argue that they are wrong, I am sure that they will be well impressed.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 18:05]

Sigh. As I’ve said, some acronyms are and some aren’t. You’ve posted something saying exactly that.

The definitive record of words in English is the OED. As it happens, the CED also does not include it. I have no idea what dictionaries you use.

Did you watch the hilarious ‘testimony’ of that whistleblower in Michigan yesterday btw? I honestly thought it was a skit until I realised who was sitting next to her.
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 21:37 - Dec 3 with 1591 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 20:00 - Dec 3 by londonlisa2001

Sigh. As I’ve said, some acronyms are and some aren’t. You’ve posted something saying exactly that.

The definitive record of words in English is the OED. As it happens, the CED also does not include it. I have no idea what dictionaries you use.

Did you watch the hilarious ‘testimony’ of that whistleblower in Michigan yesterday btw? I honestly thought it was a skit until I realised who was sitting next to her.

Sorry the Old English Dictionary is hardly the place to be looking for an American slang or buzzword.
Try the Oxford, the Macmillan, wiktionary, Dictionary.com, the Urban Dictionary, the Political Dictionary, the free dictionary and conservapedia

The Cambridge Dictionary does not have it, but it does have a nice description of an acronym
"Acronyms are words which are formed from the first letters of other words, and which are pronounced as full words."
Get that words, all words.
So who to believe dictionaries or some know it all female on a foorball forum?
Sorry it is no contest, you lose every time.
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 22:33 - Dec 3 with 1571 viewsDr_Parnassus

Wow, we are still talking about words?

The very definition of a word is a single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing.

Now back to the thread... Surely a more worthwhile discussion is the use of words, such as calling people fascists and/or racists. It would be fascinating to read people type out what they understand the meaning of each word to be and then quote the passages that they can then fit to those standards.

But we all know that level of rationale is not applied when these pejoratives are uttered.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2020 22:36]

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 23:17 - Dec 3 with 1551 viewslondonlisa2001

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 21:37 - Dec 3 by A_Fans_Dad

Sorry the Old English Dictionary is hardly the place to be looking for an American slang or buzzword.
Try the Oxford, the Macmillan, wiktionary, Dictionary.com, the Urban Dictionary, the Political Dictionary, the free dictionary and conservapedia

The Cambridge Dictionary does not have it, but it does have a nice description of an acronym
"Acronyms are words which are formed from the first letters of other words, and which are pronounced as full words."
Get that words, all words.
So who to believe dictionaries or some know it all female on a foorball forum?
Sorry it is no contest, you lose every time.

What on Earth is the Old English Dictionary?

The reference manual of the Dulux dog?

The OED is the Oxford English Dictionary you muppet. The one you told me to try instead of the OED. It’s the definitive record of the English language.

It genuinely says everything about your assessment of the validity of source materials that you urge someone to use the Urban Dictionary or wiktionary rather than the OED.
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 03:26 - Dec 4 with 1505 viewsDr_Parnassus

In a fleeting attempt to return this to the topic...

I’m not one to jump on any theories until there is a fair chunk of plausible avenues for it and always happy to close down theories if I can see plausible avenues for the opposite.

However I’m struggling with this one:-

Can anyone think of any plausible situations behind this? I’m struggling to think of any.

Login to get fewer ads

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 04:12 - Dec 4 with 1491 viewsGroo

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 03:26 - Dec 4 by Dr_Parnassus

In a fleeting attempt to return this to the topic...

I’m not one to jump on any theories until there is a fair chunk of plausible avenues for it and always happy to close down theories if I can see plausible avenues for the opposite.

However I’m struggling with this one:-

Can anyone think of any plausible situations behind this? I’m struggling to think of any.

Groo does what Groo does best

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 07:12 - Dec 4 with 1445 viewsDr_Parnassus

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 04:12 - Dec 4 by Groo

I’m not seeing anything too convincing there Groo to be perfectly honest.

You?

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 09:18 - Dec 4 with 1409 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 23:17 - Dec 3 by londonlisa2001

What on Earth is the Old English Dictionary?

The reference manual of the Dulux dog?

The OED is the Oxford English Dictionary you muppet. The one you told me to try instead of the OED. It’s the definitive record of the English language.

It genuinely says everything about your assessment of the validity of source materials that you urge someone to use the Urban Dictionary or wiktionary rather than the OED.

Resorting to name calling again I see.
Well, I had already found it in the Oxford Dictionary, as if you had bothered to read the list you would have seen it.
Yes I know the Oxford is not the Oxford English, but you need to register to use and I really can't be bothered.
The fact that you are so piss poor at finding things is not my problem but yours.

So I will help you out The Oxford Dictionary Lexico

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/rino

I really do give up.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2020 11:42]
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 09:50 - Dec 4 with 1402 viewsItchySphincter

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 10:55 - Dec 3 by A_Fans_Dad

The dictionary says and I quote
"noun
a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words and pronounced as a separate word, asWac from Women's Army Corps,OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation.
See the 3rd word it says "WORD".
Prof, you need to to stick to Chickens, the other stuff you post is a disaster, like UK minorities for instance.

Not a word.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 11:23 - Dec 4 with 1385 viewsFieryJack

Since everyone's off topic arguing about words, I might as well bung this in here for a pleasurable diversion.

A German pilots watch, the wonderfully named Aachen Blaue Stunde: would you wear one?

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 11:26 - Dec 4 with 1384 viewsFieryJack

Which reminds me...

Time is running out for Trump.
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 13:03 - Dec 4 with 1356 viewsEbo

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 09:18 - Dec 4 by A_Fans_Dad

Resorting to name calling again I see.
Well, I had already found it in the Oxford Dictionary, as if you had bothered to read the list you would have seen it.
Yes I know the Oxford is not the Oxford English, but you need to register to use and I really can't be bothered.
The fact that you are so piss poor at finding things is not my problem but yours.

So I will help you out The Oxford Dictionary Lexico

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/rino

I really do give up.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2020 11:42]

Stop crying mun, you lost and you lost very heavily. Accept it and move on.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 13:33 - Dec 4 with 1337 viewsDr_Parnassus

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 11:26 - Dec 4 by FieryJack

Which reminds me...

Time is running out for Trump.

For what?

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 13:34 - Dec 4 with 1336 viewsDr_Parnassus

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 13:03 - Dec 4 by Ebo

What did he lose at?

Some odd comments yet again today.

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 15:29 - Dec 4 with 1308 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 13:03 - Dec 4 by Ebo

I lost nothing, the facts speak for themselves.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2020 15:29]
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 15:55 - Dec 4 with 1294 viewsFireboy2

It is so funny watching afd and parsnip pitiful attempts try to stand fron under.

I bet they are writhing with agony inside.
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 16:01 - Dec 4 with 1289 viewsLohengrin

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 11:23 - Dec 4 by FieryJack

Since everyone's off topic arguing about words, I might as well bung this in here for a pleasurable diversion.

A German pilots watch, the wonderfully named Aachen Blaue Stunde: would you wear one?

I wouldn’t personally, but I do love watches. Always have.

There are some great 0% deals on Hamilton I’ve seen this last week, if you’ve got your heart set on an Aviator you could do a lot worse. I’ve had a couple of Jazzmasters over the years and they’ve been great. No complaints at all.

https://www.francisandgaye.co.uk/explore-hamilton-i198

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 16:04 - Dec 4 with 1287 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 15:55 - Dec 4 by Fireboy2

It is so funny watching afd and parsnip pitiful attempts try to stand fron under.

I bet they are writhing with agony inside.

Who cares about your meaningless drivel?
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 16:06 - Dec 4 with 1285 viewsA_Fans_Dad

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 07:12 - Dec 4 by Dr_Parnassus

I’m not seeing anything too convincing there Groo to be perfectly honest.

You?

What is convincing is the timing.
It is after the Republican monitors have been sent home and will match up with the Statistical data showing the sudden dump in to the machine of thousands of Biden Votes from the suitcases and boxes. With absolutely no oversight.
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 17:56 - Dec 4 with 1252 viewslondonlisa2001

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 16:06 - Dec 4 by A_Fans_Dad

What is convincing is the timing.
It is after the Republican monitors have been sent home and will match up with the Statistical data showing the sudden dump in to the machine of thousands of Biden Votes from the suitcases and boxes. With absolutely no oversight.

“ With absolutely no oversight.”

Incredible how you’re able to watch it if there’s no oversight.
🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 18:23 - Dec 4 with 1240 viewsGroo

Mr Sterling said the suitcases were moved across a room as “normal procedure”, and that there was nothing “odd” about the process, because poll workers were tasked with scanning the ballots once observers and vote counters had left the State Farm Arena.

“If you look at the videotape, the work you see is the work you would expect, which is you take the sealed suitcase, you place the ballots on the scanner in manageable batches and you scan them,” Mr Sterling said.

Frances Watson, the chief investigator for Georgia’s secretary of state, told Lead Stories that Republican and Trump campaign observers were not told to leave, and that the ballots scanned in the surveillance video had already been counted, in contrast to Mr Giuliani and Ms Pick’s assertions.

Groo does what Groo does best

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 18:34 - Dec 4 with 1227 viewsFireboy2

🇺🇸Presidential debate round 1 - “Matchday thread”🇺🇸 on 16:04 - Dec 4 by A_Fans_Dad

Who cares about your meaningless drivel?

Quite a few tbh, your meltdown is comedy gold
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024