Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Queen 13:08 - Sep 8 with 59474 viewsSuperhoops2808

As if we didnt need more rubbish news, now the Queen appears to be very poorly
The Queen on 22:30 - Sep 13 with 3601 viewstraininvain

The Queen on 22:08 - Sep 13 by Toast_R

I'd imagine there are a fair few staff working directly for the late Queen that are now without an active role as well. What can you do?

Understand it’s ultimately a business decision but we’re told it’s a period of mourning and it’s not the time or place to criticise the monarchy. Feels a bit hypocritical to then put 100 people on standby that they might lose their jobs.

And that’s without considering the cost of living crisis, winter coming up etc. Hopefully those made redundant will get decent payoffs from the tax free inheritance and pigs might fly.
The Queen on 22:46 - Sep 13 with 3540 viewsGloryHunter

The Queen on 21:23 - Sep 13 by hubble

This is classy https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/13/king-charles-staff-given-redunda

Did anyone really expect anything different? Our glorious beloved Royal Family are ruthless exploiters of workers, taxpayers, everything. I've said it before, but anyone who still harbours any sympathy for The Firm should take a peek at Norman Baker's explosive book.
The Queen on 00:03 - Sep 14 with 3375 viewsdistortR

The Queen on 22:46 - Sep 13 by GloryHunter

Did anyone really expect anything different? Our glorious beloved Royal Family are ruthless exploiters of workers, taxpayers, everything. I've said it before, but anyone who still harbours any sympathy for The Firm should take a peek at Norman Baker's explosive book.

You are Norman Baker and I claim my £5
The Queen on 00:30 - Sep 14 with 3320 viewsLythamR

The Queen on 22:30 - Sep 13 by traininvain

Understand it’s ultimately a business decision but we’re told it’s a period of mourning and it’s not the time or place to criticise the monarchy. Feels a bit hypocritical to then put 100 people on standby that they might lose their jobs.

And that’s without considering the cost of living crisis, winter coming up etc. Hopefully those made redundant will get decent payoffs from the tax free inheritance and pigs might fly.

There are a host of rules and guidelines that need to be considered, if redundancies are planned then staff should be notified at the earliest opportunity by management not kept in the dark until a later date

people may think the timing is harsh but ethically its probably the right thing to notify people quickly. it also impacts on the consultation timeline.
The Queen on 00:47 - Sep 14 with 3293 viewsDannyPaddox

Norman Bake-Off
The Queen on 01:54 - Sep 14 with 3233 viewsBoston

The Queen on 00:47 - Sep 14 by DannyPaddox

Norman Bake-Off

Clever quiz Daniel...the answer is located at the foot of the first soldier, Battenberg. God save the King.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Queen on 02:48 - Sep 14 with 3208 viewsCLAREMAN1995

The Queen on 21:53 - Sep 13 by CiderwithRsie

I think it's just that he is the king now and overall people still like the monarchy, more than ever when it's just had a massive dose of PR on all channels. (Not making a criticism, I'm mildly pro-monarchy, but it's a fact that there's been wall-to-wall pro-royal coverage; a few people are sick of it but more are positive and that just rubs off on him.)

Plus things like getting grumpy over pens would have got him stick just a few weeks back, now everyone says "the poor sod's just lost his mum, cut him some slack"

Lets look at it from a different angle for a second.
Charles lost his mother who was the one person he could depend on since the day he was born.
Think of every poster on here who lost a parent and are in bits trying to get by day by day.
Now imaging King Charles who is not a young man btw having to switch on immediatly to ruler and console the nation as well as a lot of the World .
Then he has to visit Scotland , Northern Ireland on official visits as well as grieve and walk behind the coffin etc.
Its overwhelming to be fair and it only gets harder in the coming days.
Respect to the man as a grieving son lets leave the rest alone for a week maybe
The Queen on 03:15 - Sep 14 with 3186 viewsSharpy36

The Queen on 02:48 - Sep 14 by CLAREMAN1995

Charles lost his mother who was the one person he could depend on since the day he was born.
Think of every poster on here who lost a parent and are in bits trying to get by day by day.
Now imaging King Charles who is not a young man btw having to switch on immediatly to ruler and console the nation as well as a lot of the World .
Then he has to visit Scotland , Northern Ireland on official visits as well as grieve and walk behind the coffin etc.

100%

He stood at his mothers side with his siblings for a full 10 minutes, looking outwardly and the worlds media, looking in, waiting for just the slightest lack of concentration to write a headline of how he touched his nose, and how dare him. As you pointed out, a man in his 70`s. I can`t go half an hour without needing a strategic scratch, rub or pull on any single body part of mine.

GSTK

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Login to get fewer ads

The Queen on 04:03 - Sep 14 with 3177 viewsSydneyRs

The Queen on 02:48 - Sep 14 by CLAREMAN1995

Agree with this, must be hugely difficult going through all of this so publicly. Not only the loss of his mother, which is more than enough by itself, but taking on the role of king, the logistics of it all and the endless scrutiny by a media only interested in how much its own profits can be swelled and how much expensive ad space can be sold during coverage. And he's not a young man.

Last time this happened 70 years ago the scrutiny would have been far less with more stuff behind closed doors and maybe some opportunity for at least a bit of privacy and a chance to process things. And of course no social media.

You could see the media quickly moving from initial well rehearsed respectfulness to looking for an angle. Meghan Markle the most obvious target early doors, now Charles himself coming under the radar. WIll he be popular? Will the monarchy survive? They haven't even given it a week. Gets a bit tetchy about a leaky pen (fair enough, surely someone checks these things for such an important occasion with a huge audience) and its instantly broadcast around the world trying to make him look a certain way. Maybe one more week until they start asking when he will retire from the role and hand on to his son...

The only people who can stop the media acting in the way it does is the public. Stop watching/buying it and it will be forced to change. Money is its main motive (along with political control in the case of newspapers) and if that stops flowing so freely you might see something better. We should be demanding it, yet the race to the gutter continues to be rewarded with profit no matter who gets destroyed along the way. Unless that happens, then we only have ourselves to blame.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 4:09]
The Queen on 07:04 - Sep 14 with 3040 viewsDiscodroids

The Queen on 00:03 - Sep 14 by distortR

You are Norman Baker and I claim my £5

This post had me laughing like cesar romero charged up on Nitrous oxide laughing gas and Powdered Rhino Horn.

'From Little Acorns, Harold..'

The Queen on 08:46 - Sep 14 with 2864 viewsToast_R

The Queen on 21:43 - Sep 13 by CliveWilsonSaid

Like father, like son.

Really?
He's just lost his mother. He's been doing all this protocol in front of the watching world ever since. He just wants to get it done and a leaking fountain pen is bloody annoying x 10 when you're emotional. Cut him some slack won't ya?
The Queen on 09:25 - Sep 14 with 2761 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Football fans should watch themselves. A unthought of consequence of writing horrendous things online unrelated to football.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/preston-north-end-fan-handed-2500911
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 9:44]
The Queen on 09:57 - Sep 14 with 2644 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

The Queen on 08:46 - Sep 14 by Toast_R

Really?
He's just lost his mother. He's been doing all this protocol in front of the watching world ever since. He just wants to get it done and a leaking fountain pen is bloody annoying x 10 when you're emotional. Cut him some slack won't ya?

I didn’t mean it in a bad way.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

The Queen on 10:03 - Sep 14 with 2615 viewstraininvain

The Queen on 09:25 - Sep 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

Football fans should watch themselves. A unthought of consequence of writing horrendous things online unrelated to football.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/preston-north-end-fan-handed-2500911

Agree it was a horrible thing to say / tweet but a dangerous precedent has been set by Preston FC. Not dissimilar to people being arrested over the past week for non violent protest.

This also caught my attention yesterday: https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/sep/13/jokes-about-the-queens-deat
The Queen on 10:23 - Sep 14 with 2549 viewsDiscodroids

Should have left the 'Last week tonight' with john Oliver unedited imo. If only for the remedial and amoebic standard of the comedy/writing. I think the Great British public can withstand the depleted uranium velocity of that cutting edge comedy.

I agree that people should not face any charges for wishing Death on the Queen /Royal Family on twitter. No matter that it shows about as much spine as a boneless parasitic twin floating in a kilner jar of formaldehyde at a Victorian Freak Show, to type it.

Individuals shouldn't face prosecution , imo.

On a personal note, It has never entered my synapse to lambast people in the public eye that have passed, and that i have adverse feelings for. Whether it be RIP threads on forum such as this, twitter or any other platform.

I just keep my jawbone slammed shut.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 10:27]

'From Little Acorns, Harold..'

The Queen on 11:50 - Sep 14 with 2337 viewsSheffieldHoop

Did anyone else stand on the A40 last night? I went down to doff my cap, ended up in the central reservation outside the BP in Perivale. Had planned to stand on the footbridge, from which I watched the hearse carrying Diana with my mum and dad.....But they'd closed it off "For safety reasons" (Protesting republicans being thrown over the railings reasons, I think)

Got absolutely soaked, but glad we went. A decent couple of drinks and a nice atmosphere in the Myllet after as well

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

The Queen on 11:58 - Sep 14 with 2335 viewsstowmarketrange

The Queen on 09:25 - Sep 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

The ban only applies when he is alive,so his kids/grandkids can take his ashes to a game in the future.
The Queen on 14:36 - Sep 14 with 2060 viewsToast_R

The Queen on 09:57 - Sep 14 by CliveWilsonSaid

I didn’t mean it in a bad way.

Sorry, I should have added my comment to the original post.
This made me laugh earlier

The Queen on 15:23 - Sep 14 with 1966 viewsSuperhoop83

The Queen on 14:36 - Sep 14 by Toast_R

Sorry, I should have added my comment to the original post.
This made me laugh earlier

Suffering since 1978.

The Queen on 16:31 - Sep 14 with 1777 viewsDamo1962

The Queen on 04:03 - Sep 14 by SydneyRs

Agree with this, must be hugely difficult going through all of this so publicly. Not only the loss of his mother, which is more than enough by itself, but taking on the role of king, the logistics of it all and the endless scrutiny by a media only interested in how much its own profits can be swelled and how much expensive ad space can be sold during coverage. And he's not a young man.

Last time this happened 70 years ago the scrutiny would have been far less with more stuff behind closed doors and maybe some opportunity for at least a bit of privacy and a chance to process things. And of course no social media.

You could see the media quickly moving from initial well rehearsed respectfulness to looking for an angle. Meghan Markle the most obvious target early doors, now Charles himself coming under the radar. WIll he be popular? Will the monarchy survive? They haven't even given it a week. Gets a bit tetchy about a leaky pen (fair enough, surely someone checks these things for such an important occasion with a huge audience) and its instantly broadcast around the world trying to make him look a certain way. Maybe one more week until they start asking when he will retire from the role and hand on to his son...

The only people who can stop the media acting in the way it does is the public. Stop watching/buying it and it will be forced to change. Money is its main motive (along with political control in the case of newspapers) and if that stops flowing so freely you might see something better. We should be demanding it, yet the race to the gutter continues to be rewarded with profit no matter who gets destroyed along the way. Unless that happens, then we only have ourselves to blame.

Absolutely nailed it. You get the media and politicians you deserve.
The Queen on 17:12 - Sep 14 with 1697 viewsdaveB

The Queen on 04:03 - Sep 14 by SydneyRs

No idea what it's like with other channels or newspapers but at ITV we've not run any ads during the coverage of this so no money being made, quite the opposite. I think we had no ads all day Friday/Sat and only a handful of breaks during the evening, was just 1 ad break all day yesterday during Emmerale and nothing today until this evening. On Monday for the funeral we've got no ads on any of the ITV channels all day so as I say money is not being made over here.

Can't speak for Sky or channel 4 as not sure what they are doing
The Queen on 18:50 - Sep 14 with 1521 viewsDWQPR

Just got back from the procession. Although I only got to Victoria at 11.50 and walking down Victoria Street that all of the procession was closed off due to the size of the crowds I managed to get a very good vantage point just beyond the procession but opposite Horseguards. As the Procession turned into Horseguards apart from the distant boom of the guns in Hyde Park and the funereal playing of the band it was totally and utterly silent. A crowd totally absorbed in the moment.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

The Queen on 20:49 - Sep 14 with 1417 viewsNed_Kennedys

The Queen on 18:50 - Sep 14 by DWQPR

Just got back from the procession. Although I only got to Victoria at 11.50 and walking down Victoria Street that all of the procession was closed off due to the size of the crowds I managed to get a very good vantage point just beyond the procession but opposite Horseguards. As the Procession turned into Horseguards apart from the distant boom of the guns in Hyde Park and the funereal playing of the band it was totally and utterly silent. A crowd totally absorbed in the moment.

Yeah I went down to the Mall to pay my respects to Her Majesty on her last ever journey from the Palace.
Well organised with everyone in good spirits and no applause or shouting as the procession went slowly past.
Glad I’m tall otherwise you’d have struggled to see a great deal though.
The Queen on 21:47 - Sep 14 with 1369 viewsToast_R

10 minutes of stoppage time, trust us to get the only ref willing to add on for time wasting when we're winning.
The Queen on 21:49 - Sep 14 with 1360 viewsToast_R

The Queen on 21:47 - Sep 14 by Toast_R

10 minutes of stoppage time, trust us to get the only ref willing to add on for time wasting when we're winning.

Whoops, wrong thread
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024