Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA World Cup thread. 12:02 - Nov 15 with 125265 viewsSnipper

I’m trying to get excited about this World Cup, but to no avail :-((.

I’ve just watched Sky Sports World Cup preview with Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher & Karen Carney. Utterly depressing viewing. Same old, same old. Picking players for the starting XI not playing for their clubs, or totally off form.

I’m hoping this thread can get the juices flowing.

Do any of you think England have a chance?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:42 - Nov 20 with 2442 viewsRanger_Things

FIFA World Cup thread. on 21:35 - Nov 20 with 2307 viewsessextaxiboy

Taxiboy No 1 met Nedum Onuoha before the game there today
FIFA World Cup thread. on 01:11 - Nov 21 with 2141 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:58 - Nov 20 by PlanetHonneywood

So your faith is restored because having quoted an erroneous and libelous article alleging Ecuador had taken a bung, the outcome has convinced you otherwise.

Be careful what you rely on.

Q reminded me of the runners up in the 1986 League Cup...did well to get to nil and should have done better.

Sarcasm aside, pretty much yeah.

I just assumed that a country that spent $220b on bribing officials and sport washing the nation wouldn’t suddenly stop at match fixing.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 06:05 - Nov 21 with 2026 viewsNorthantsHoop

To be honest regardless of all the ethical and financial issues relating to everything about this World Cup, we are stuck with it, so I am going to try and enjoy it for hopefully the football, as it is in essence supposed to be a football tournament. England have a great opportunity to progress, should be fit and firing, unlike in the summer at the end of a long season, when all that preparation seems to weigh heavy on them in my opinion.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:24 - Nov 21 with 1862 viewsterryb

FIFA World Cup thread. on 20:06 - Nov 20 by kensalriser

England excepted, obvs.

Of course!

The Argentine and West Germany would definitely say that decisions went in their favour rather than for the hosts.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:45 - Nov 21 with 1816 viewsPlanetHonneywood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 01:11 - Nov 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

Sarcasm aside, pretty much yeah.

I just assumed that a country that spent $220b on bribing officials and sport washing the nation wouldn’t suddenly stop at match fixing.

As they say: never assume....

I'd think of all the footballers in the world, Ecuadorians might probably be the least likely to take a bung given the outcome of a previous unexpected loss!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:51 - Nov 21 with 1807 viewsR_from_afar

FIFA World Cup thread. on 23:25 - Nov 17 by LongsufferingR

"Also according to some journo, Qatar are going to beat Ecuador 1-0 with a second half winner."

Was thinking exactly that. There's no way the powers that be will allow Qatar to lose every game, so thought this was quite likely and went to place a bet. Unfortunately it's only 9/1 when it should be more like 14/1 or 16/1 given the stature of the two teams.

Remember South Korea v Italy at the World Cup in Korea? Bent as they come.

Correction - now 15/2!
[Post edited 17 Nov 2022 23:26]

"Remember South Korea v Italy at the World Cup in Korea? Bent as they come".

By the end of that game, the Italian players were so resigned to their fate that they stopped protesting about the dubious decisions.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:14 - Nov 21 with 1758 viewsBrianMcCarthy

FIFA World Cup thread. on 06:05 - Nov 21 by NorthantsHoop

To be honest regardless of all the ethical and financial issues relating to everything about this World Cup, we are stuck with it, so I am going to try and enjoy it for hopefully the football, as it is in essence supposed to be a football tournament. England have a great opportunity to progress, should be fit and firing, unlike in the summer at the end of a long season, when all that preparation seems to weigh heavy on them in my opinion.

Me too, I've thought about it, and I've chatted to friends here and elsewhere about it and I've decided not to boycott it.

So now, I'm going to try and enjoy it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:37 - Nov 21 with 1696 viewstraininvain

I see that the England players will be taking the knee but not wearing the rainbow armband after fifa have intervened to say that captains will be booked if they do it.

The message being that Black Lives Matter but gay lives don’t.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:47 - Nov 21 with 1657 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:37 - Nov 21 by traininvain

I see that the England players will be taking the knee but not wearing the rainbow armband after fifa have intervened to say that captains will be booked if they do it.

I’m not going to comment on the politics of it (gasp) but the whole world has known this was happening for months, why the last minute intervention? Is it deliberate?

https://news.sky.com/story/england-and-wales-decide-not-to-wear-onelove-armband-
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:51 - Nov 21 with 1633 viewsSonofpugwash

I've just heard that the Spanish football commentator Juan Love has been banned from the tournament.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:52 - Nov 21 with 1635 viewsOldPedro

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:47 - Nov 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’m not going to comment on the politics of it (gasp) but the whole world has known this was happening for months, why the last minute intervention? Is it deliberate?

https://news.sky.com/story/england-and-wales-decide-not-to-wear-onelove-armband-

A bit like the last minute change of beer sales - does seem deliberate by Fifa.

I wonder if the teams can do something before or after the game which may lead to a fine but wouldn't enable the referee's to intervene?

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:53 - Nov 21 with 1631 viewsJuzzie

Add to the fact they u-turned on alcohol in stadiums I think we're going to see a few more 'last minute interventions' from either the Qatari's themselves or FIFA who have clearly got into bed with them. They all know that doing it just as it starts means nothing can be done.

The tournament will go to it's conclusion but it's going to be a rocky few weeks I feel.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:53 - Nov 21 with 1624 viewstraininvain

Has to be a direct edict from the Qataris. What I don’t understand is why the FA publicised it so much. Should’ve kept it quiet and just done it on the day.

This is why some (non racist) people questioning whether Black Lives Matter take the knee protest has a place in football / sport. We’re now in a situation where it’s ok to protest for black people but not homosexuals. Can’t be right.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:58 - Nov 21 with 1585 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

FIFA World Cup thread. on 09:45 - Nov 21 by PlanetHonneywood

As they say: never assume....

I'd think of all the footballers in the world, Ecuadorians might probably be the least likely to take a bung given the outcome of a previous unexpected loss!!

Very true.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:59 - Nov 21 with 1582 viewsPaddyhoops

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:53 - Nov 21 by traininvain

Has to be a direct edict from the Qataris. What I don’t understand is why the FA publicised it so much. Should’ve kept it quiet and just done it on the day.

This is why some (non racist) people questioning whether Black Lives Matter take the knee protest has a place in football / sport. We’re now in a situation where it’s ok to protest for black people but not homosexuals. Can’t be right.

I should imagine there are lots of influential Black people who hold a lot of clout in FIFA especially in relation to voting for World cups .
Sadly that’s not the case with the LBGTQ community.
We should be grateful the hideous football family allows that!
FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:26 - Nov 21 with 1533 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:37 - Nov 21 by traininvain

They take the knee as a symbol of inclusivity and against racism, it's not just about black people. Not sure how many times they can explain it before people understand
[Post edited 21 Nov 2022 11:27]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:35 - Nov 21 with 1491 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 10:53 - Nov 21 by traininvain

In fairness it wasn't an FA thing, it was a joint move between England, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Wales, Belgium and Holland. All of them have now had to back track due to FIFA being arseholes
FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:44 - Nov 21 with 1470 viewstraininvain

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:35 - Nov 21 by daveB

In fairness it wasn't an FA thing, it was a joint move between England, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Wales, Belgium and Holland. All of them have now had to back track due to FIFA being arseholes

It’ll be interesting to see if any of the captains stand firm and wear the armband. It doesn’t feel like a particularly big gesture in the circumstances and worth taking a yellow to stick two fingers up at FIFA and Qatar.

Thanks for clarifying that taking the knee is a protest against all racism and a symbol of inclusivity. Genuinely didn’t know that was the case.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:44 - Nov 21 with 1470 viewsRangers67

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:35 - Nov 21 by daveB

Strange this decision, as the great Gianni was saying the other day how he was feeling Gay ! Was it just a one day gay feeling he had then ? That didn,t last long did it. You really couldn,t make this super hypocritical sh*t up and listening to the radio this morning it sounds like the great ( not so gay ) Gianni is going to be unopposed at the next FIFA vote. How as a country we can hold our heads up in anyway after attending this farce is beyond me.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:47 - Nov 21 with 1455 viewsSharpy36

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:26 - Nov 21 by daveB

They take the knee as a symbol of inclusivity and against racism, it's not just about black people. Not sure how many times they can explain it before people understand
[Post edited 21 Nov 2022 11:27]

I`m sorry Dave, but the bending of the knee and raising of a clenched fist has absolutely nothing to do inclusivity. Although the clenched fist has appeared to have stopped it turned a lot of people off against what the whole knee bending gesture started as.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:09 - Nov 21 with 1400 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:44 - Nov 21 by traininvain

It’ll be interesting to see if any of the captains stand firm and wear the armband. It doesn’t feel like a particularly big gesture in the circumstances and worth taking a yellow to stick two fingers up at FIFA and Qatar.

Thanks for clarifying that taking the knee is a protest against all racism and a symbol of inclusivity. Genuinely didn’t know that was the case.

They have all said they won't do it now
FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:10 - Nov 21 with 1399 viewsRangersw12

I'm happy with that team and should be more than enough for Iran ( famous last words)

Going for 2 nil win

Come on England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:11 - Nov 21 with 1398 viewseastside_r

Entirely predictable, like the alcohol ban.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:13 - Nov 21 with 1386 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 11:47 - Nov 21 by Sharpy36

I`m sorry Dave, but the bending of the knee and raising of a clenched fist has absolutely nothing to do inclusivity. Although the clenched fist has appeared to have stopped it turned a lot of people off against what the whole knee bending gesture started as.

I can only go with what the players are saying and not sure why they would lie about it. I get a lot of people for various reasons have always been against the gesture but it's something the players want to do for reasons they have stated on numerous occasions
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024