Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Poor state of affairs if true 19:04 - Mar 15 with 16550 viewsrafc1977

Came across this link below on Facebook, I don't usually believe all I read & hear unless from source. But as this was posted by Mr Hicks himself I can only assume (without yet hearing any response from the club) that this is a very shoddy way to treat a long time employee & former player. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I don't know Keith but as long as I've been supporting Dale he has been a stalwart of the community set up.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02Pt23WfzSq6gyceJXxrLpdwLAtHzDs
Poor state of affairs if true on 19:48 - Mar 15 with 9179 viewsnordenblue

For anyone not on facebook........

"One Year Anniversary — Testimonial Request"

It’s exactly one year ago today, 15th March 2022, that the Rochdale AFC Chairman met me prior to the home match against Salford City, to discuss a proposed Testimonial for my long service to the Club.
A Testimonial had apparently been sanctioned by previous Board members, minuted at a meeting that according to the Chairman he could not find evidence of even though confirmed by two previous Directors of the Club.
After a short conversation he suggested that the Club couldn’t afford stewarding costs for any match and would I be satisfied with a Sportsman Evening, to this I suggested that costs incurred have normally been deducted from match day receipts and a game would be preferred.

The Chairman promised a decision and would get back to me - I am still awaiting this conversation!!!!!!!

It seems to me that loyal service at Rochdale AFC is not rewarded and I’m guessing that any connection to previous Club Board members is frowned on, especially seeing the amount of employees leaving in recent times with many years of experience.

My upmost feelings are for Dale supporters, who I believe must be the most loyal in the Country, especially with events of recent times and the present league position, which hopefully will be arrested seeing the Club operating in the EFL next season.

Recently due to an obligation to Rochdale Supporters Trust, which I have served for over 15 years, I attended the match against Stevenage Town working on behalf of the Former Players Association with Willie Burns at the popular Exiles Day and thoroughly enjoyed speaking to many fans during the day.
I expressed my intention to stay away from Rochdale home matches as I cannot show my support for an organisation that clearly doesn’t show any regard for myself, indeed over thirty eight years I have not only worked in several roles including playing for two seasons before retiring through injury leading to employment as Community Trust Manager but also involved at the Club as Centre of Excellence Director, Youth Team Assistant Manager and First Team Scout but have also travelled all over the Country including Gillingham, Torquay, Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Yeovil plus many more local games supporting the Club.

To add to this, the manner in which Siobhan McElhinney was allegedly bullied/harassed by the present Community Trust Director, witnessed both personally by me and by employees at Rochdale AFC including the Safeguarding Officer, which came to nothing.
Siobhan clearly loved her time working on behalf of the Community Sports Trust for just short of twenty years but complained to several Trustees including the Trust Chair, which again raised no actions and subsequently she has taken a different career move.

On a separate note, after taking part in a previous Club’s/Barry Kilbin PSA testing, I find it strange not to have been mentioned in promotion for the recent match day event as I have been diagnosed with early signs of Prostate Cancer, if I hadn’t taken part in this highly positive venture, who knows of the consequences.

I don’t want to be accused of jumping on the band wagon but I deeply feel upset with recent events and the way the Club is going.
Poor state of affairs if true on 20:33 - Mar 15 with 9043 viewsstandale

thought testimonials were given for playing for a club for a long period of time, can only recall KH playing for Dale for a couple of seasons. yes he’s been at the club for ages, but wouldn’t have thought being employed by the club in other roles entitles him to a testimonial
Poor state of affairs if true on 20:36 - Mar 15 with 9026 viewsJames1980

Poor state of affairs if true on 19:48 - Mar 15 by nordenblue

For anyone not on facebook........

"One Year Anniversary — Testimonial Request"

It’s exactly one year ago today, 15th March 2022, that the Rochdale AFC Chairman met me prior to the home match against Salford City, to discuss a proposed Testimonial for my long service to the Club.
A Testimonial had apparently been sanctioned by previous Board members, minuted at a meeting that according to the Chairman he could not find evidence of even though confirmed by two previous Directors of the Club.
After a short conversation he suggested that the Club couldn’t afford stewarding costs for any match and would I be satisfied with a Sportsman Evening, to this I suggested that costs incurred have normally been deducted from match day receipts and a game would be preferred.

The Chairman promised a decision and would get back to me - I am still awaiting this conversation!!!!!!!

It seems to me that loyal service at Rochdale AFC is not rewarded and I’m guessing that any connection to previous Club Board members is frowned on, especially seeing the amount of employees leaving in recent times with many years of experience.

My upmost feelings are for Dale supporters, who I believe must be the most loyal in the Country, especially with events of recent times and the present league position, which hopefully will be arrested seeing the Club operating in the EFL next season.

Recently due to an obligation to Rochdale Supporters Trust, which I have served for over 15 years, I attended the match against Stevenage Town working on behalf of the Former Players Association with Willie Burns at the popular Exiles Day and thoroughly enjoyed speaking to many fans during the day.
I expressed my intention to stay away from Rochdale home matches as I cannot show my support for an organisation that clearly doesn’t show any regard for myself, indeed over thirty eight years I have not only worked in several roles including playing for two seasons before retiring through injury leading to employment as Community Trust Manager but also involved at the Club as Centre of Excellence Director, Youth Team Assistant Manager and First Team Scout but have also travelled all over the Country including Gillingham, Torquay, Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Yeovil plus many more local games supporting the Club.

To add to this, the manner in which Siobhan McElhinney was allegedly bullied/harassed by the present Community Trust Director, witnessed both personally by me and by employees at Rochdale AFC including the Safeguarding Officer, which came to nothing.
Siobhan clearly loved her time working on behalf of the Community Sports Trust for just short of twenty years but complained to several Trustees including the Trust Chair, which again raised no actions and subsequently she has taken a different career move.

On a separate note, after taking part in a previous Club’s/Barry Kilbin PSA testing, I find it strange not to have been mentioned in promotion for the recent match day event as I have been diagnosed with early signs of Prostate Cancer, if I hadn’t taken part in this highly positive venture, who knows of the consequences.

I don’t want to be accused of jumping on the band wagon but I deeply feel upset with recent events and the way the Club is going.

This is very worrying

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Poor state of affairs if true on 21:04 - Mar 15 with 8931 viewsClivert

Poor state of affairs if true on 20:33 - Mar 15 by standale

thought testimonials were given for playing for a club for a long period of time, can only recall KH playing for Dale for a couple of seasons. yes he’s been at the club for ages, but wouldn’t have thought being employed by the club in other roles entitles him to a testimonial

Was it Tom Nichol who served the club as a Scout who was given a testimonial in the early 90s?

I'm sure there was a Dale XI Vs Coronation St XI game or something in aid of it and various other events.

I may be wrong though.

What isn't in doubt is the service that Keith Hicks has given to the club and 'Football In The Community' over the years.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2023 21:10]
Poor state of affairs if true on 21:40 - Mar 15 with 8818 viewsrafc1977

It's fair to say that at present (like in my original post) we have yet to hear anything from the club. Whilst I don't for one minute think we are entitled a response to every accusation levelled at them, I think the board do need to respond to this.

I have absolutely no agenda here other than something I read which (if true) I thought was pretty poor form. We rightly celebrated Cloughie and all he did for the Dale in life, and in death. He like many before him and many after, gave his heart & soul to our great club.

This current board cobbled themselves together and with the help of fans steered the club away from what would only have led to our demise. But impacted on them both financially & emotionally. I don't question their commitment, they saved our club, but at what cost? Are they now just so battle worn/scarred whatever, that all they want is the nearest exit?

Sometimes it's better to say nothing, your dammed if you do & the same if you don't. Unfortunately we're in a situation at present that the board (imo) need to be visual & vocal. Things like this just don't help.
Poor state of affairs if true on 00:44 - Mar 16 with 8581 viewsturnthescrew

Poor state of affairs if true on 21:04 - Mar 15 by Clivert

Was it Tom Nichol who served the club as a Scout who was given a testimonial in the early 90s?

I'm sure there was a Dale XI Vs Coronation St XI game or something in aid of it and various other events.

I may be wrong though.

What isn't in doubt is the service that Keith Hicks has given to the club and 'Football In The Community' over the years.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2023 21:10]

Tom Nicol did a great deal of his work for the club ( not all) on a voluntary basis without payment. Keith Hicks, whilst a splendid servant, was properly remunerated for the work he did.

There's a bit of a difference. Tom has a plaque in his honour over the office window in the reception area.

Perhaps these stalwarts should be remembered with a blue plaque system, recognizing their individual contribution to the club, over many years.

Brian Johnson, Cloughie, (though he has had a statue) Jack Peart, Maureen Peacock, Jack Ashworth, Marion Wood. There are plenty of worthy recommendations for people to be remembered for their contribution and dedication.

Perhaps a plaque is an appropriate way to proceed.
Poor state of affairs if true on 09:08 - Mar 16 with 8259 viewshammerdale

Poor state of affairs if true on 00:44 - Mar 16 by turnthescrew

Tom Nicol did a great deal of his work for the club ( not all) on a voluntary basis without payment. Keith Hicks, whilst a splendid servant, was properly remunerated for the work he did.

There's a bit of a difference. Tom has a plaque in his honour over the office window in the reception area.

Perhaps these stalwarts should be remembered with a blue plaque system, recognizing their individual contribution to the club, over many years.

Brian Johnson, Cloughie, (though he has had a statue) Jack Peart, Maureen Peacock, Jack Ashworth, Marion Wood. There are plenty of worthy recommendations for people to be remembered for their contribution and dedication.

Perhaps a plaque is an appropriate way to proceed.

Brian Johnson did so much hard work for the Dale Lottery, when the club was struggling in the late 70s/ early 80s, the Football Club awarded an annual trophy in his name, to be awarded to the top agent of the year. He really was a top bloke.
Poor state of affairs if true on 11:13 - Mar 16 with 8014 views49thseason

In this age of 3D printing, maybe we could create a " wall (or walk) of stars" around the club, it could recognise people connected to the club who have made a significant contribution both on and off the pitch, so the likes of Keith Hicks, Stan Milburn and Jack Ashworth could be alongside David Kilpatrick and Reg Jenkins and Ian Henderson, Equally the club can generate interest and perhaps sponsorship for each addition.
Login to get fewer ads

Poor state of affairs if true on 15:14 - Mar 16 with 7660 viewsDale_4_Life

Whilst sad that Keith Hicks has early stage Prostate Cancer the light is it is early stages. If diagnosed early your more likely to die with prostrate cancer than because of it.

KH was angry before the last Oldham away game (I think Dale lost 1-0) as he had been moved out of the club. That is quite a while ago so for this to surface now the timing is odd.
Poor state of affairs if true on 15:25 - Mar 16 with 7639 viewsD_Alien

Poor state of affairs if true on 15:14 - Mar 16 by Dale_4_Life

Whilst sad that Keith Hicks has early stage Prostate Cancer the light is it is early stages. If diagnosed early your more likely to die with prostrate cancer than because of it.

KH was angry before the last Oldham away game (I think Dale lost 1-0) as he had been moved out of the club. That is quite a while ago so for this to surface now the timing is odd.

Your first point is excellent

Regarding your second point: it may be that the mood around the club and fanbase has changed sufficiently over the past few weeks for this to be brought forward now, whereas before it may have been seen as "rocking the boat"

I tend to agree with those who take the view that long-serving employees should be recognised in some way, but if they've earned a decent living during their employment at Dale then further financial remuneration isn't the way forward, especially when the same would hardly apply to the majority of people working elsewhere, perhaps in an occupation they endure rather than enjoy
[Post edited 16 Mar 2023 15:26]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Poor state of affairs if true on 15:52 - Mar 16 with 7578 viewsBigKindo

In the comments there is a posting (15 down) from a Dave Bottomley. Is it our Roger perhaps?
Poor state of affairs if true on 16:03 - Mar 16 with 7548 viewsIOMDale

Poor state of affairs if true on 15:52 - Mar 16 by BigKindo

In the comments there is a posting (15 down) from a Dave Bottomley. Is it our Roger perhaps?

It’s a different guy with a very unfortunate name given events of the past couple of years. He’s won on the lottery a couple of times, which had supporters up in arms that Roger was still taking out of club.

UTDNFS

Poor state of affairs if true on 16:03 - Mar 16 with 7549 viewsscooby

Poor state of affairs if true on 15:52 - Mar 16 by BigKindo

if you look at the profile pic, it really isnt... unless he has lost 14st since we last saw him...
Poor state of affairs if true on 16:20 - Mar 16 with 7495 viewsblackdogblue

I know Keith personally and have done for many years…

I hope indeed he makes a full recovery & has my best wishes 👍

He’s not the only “ex” employee to be treated shockingly by the Club, look at what happened to David at the Club shop.. he put his heart into trying to make it better than it used to be then dumped on from a great height.

Our old witch Frances has the bad reputation including being heavily involved in dumping Goldbond, it seems it was not just her….

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Poor state of affairs if true on 17:03 - Mar 16 with 7388 viewsNewbury_Dale

The idea that Keith Hicks should even ask for a testimonial just seems utterly bizarre to me.
Poor state of affairs if true on 17:58 - Mar 16 with 7246 viewsDale_4_Life

Poor state of affairs if true on 17:03 - Mar 16 by Newbury_Dale

The idea that Keith Hicks should even ask for a testimonial just seems utterly bizarre to me.

I agree with this.

Thanks for all the efforts but a testimonial? That should be reserved for the very special players with record achievement.
Poor state of affairs if true on 18:04 - Mar 16 with 7215 viewsEllDale

Great servant but a testimonial?
It does strike me that it is feasible that he could have been promised something by the previous regime without anything formal being recorded. After all they do have previous for this, remember a certain proposed rugby league international?
I’m more concerned about allegations of bullying against Siobhan.
I’ve only ever met her briefly but did receive a couple of phone calls from her in COVID lockdown when she was ringing round season ticket holders of a certain age to check on their welfare and she came across as a lovely person.
Poor state of affairs if true on 18:10 - Mar 16 with 7178 viewsfourfourtwo

Poor state of affairs if true on 18:04 - Mar 16 by EllDale

Great servant but a testimonial?
It does strike me that it is feasible that he could have been promised something by the previous regime without anything formal being recorded. After all they do have previous for this, remember a certain proposed rugby league international?
I’m more concerned about allegations of bullying against Siobhan.
I’ve only ever met her briefly but did receive a couple of phone calls from her in COVID lockdown when she was ringing round season ticket holders of a certain age to check on their welfare and she came across as a lovely person.

It’s a shame she had such poor choice in men…
Poor state of affairs if true on 18:18 - Mar 16 with 7152 views_Windydale

Putting on a testimonial, a very special tribute is reserved for few legends. I would have thought people lucky enough; are presented it, rather than it being an expected perk of long service.No doubt kh has done a good job though but I am a season ticket holder on and off. and have only heard of him as a long serving stalwart but not a legend like keith hill or henderson vein.
Poor state of affairs if true on 18:48 - Mar 16 with 7069 views442Dale

Not getting into any debates on testimonials etc, but Keith Hicks and FITC played a vital role in ensuring the club gained so many younger fans with all their work over the years.

Don’t think it’s right to compare to players (though he was one of those too!), because in reality he has done far more for the club across the whole community and also brought in tens of thousands of pounds when you consider how many of those young fans from the 80s/90s still go today.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Poor state of affairs if true on 19:04 - Mar 16 with 7030 views49thseason

Hicks only played 32 games for Rochdale over 2 seasons. I always believed that testimonials were a way to recognise players who had been players of note for a number of seasons at a time when wages were not what they are today. Yes he has worked tirelessly since he retired from playing but a great deal of that time was for Football in the Community run by the Rochdale AFC Community Trust, a registered charity, which I understand is a separate entity....

Rochdale AFC Community Trust began operations in September 1987 as one of the country’s very first ‘Football in the Community’ initiatives.

Football in the Community was the brainwave of Micky Burns and the Professional Footballers Association, as they sought ways of supporting players into employability once their careers finished.

Projects were initially set up at Manchester City, Manchester United, Bolton Wanderers, Oldham Athletic, Preston North End and Bury, followed six months later by Rochdale and five other clubs.

The Rochdale AFC Football in the Community programme officially launched on 14th September 1987 and saw Keith Hicks, take up his role three weeks later on October 5th. "

Surely the responsibility for recognising Keiths work is with the Trust? If they want to organise a testimonial game, fine, I am sure the club will offer the use of pitch at the end of the season. Other expenses would be met from takings and the remainder donated to Mr Hicks by the Trust.
Poor state of affairs if true on 19:15 - Mar 16 with 6981 viewsSuddenLad

Poor state of affairs if true on 18:18 - Mar 16 by _Windydale

Putting on a testimonial, a very special tribute is reserved for few legends. I would have thought people lucky enough; are presented it, rather than it being an expected perk of long service.No doubt kh has done a good job though but I am a season ticket holder on and off. and have only heard of him as a long serving stalwart but not a legend like keith hill or henderson vein.

Apart from being a valued presence around the club and a long-serving employee he also played for Dale for a season as well.

He's probably racked up about 30 years of service to RAFC in a variety of roles. No mean achievement, but unless I'm mistaken, he was paid for every single day that he served.

Testimonials are scarce and are more traditionally (but not exclusively) granted to players who have served a club for 10 years or longer and who have shown commitment and loyalty throughout their time.

The last time I remember a testimonial match taking place was for Joe Thompson and no one would deny him that, I'm sure. Keith Hanvey was granted a testimonial match and Gary Jones a testimonial season/dinner. I've probably missed one or two, I'm not sure.

Much as I admire and respect Keith Hicks, I think he was amply rewarded, particularly in his later period of employment. I don't think he warrants being granted a testimonial by the club and I think the apparent animosity is unfortunate.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Poor state of affairs if true on 07:38 - Mar 17 with 6489 viewsfourfourtwo

Poor state of affairs if true on 19:15 - Mar 16 by SuddenLad

Apart from being a valued presence around the club and a long-serving employee he also played for Dale for a season as well.

He's probably racked up about 30 years of service to RAFC in a variety of roles. No mean achievement, but unless I'm mistaken, he was paid for every single day that he served.

Testimonials are scarce and are more traditionally (but not exclusively) granted to players who have served a club for 10 years or longer and who have shown commitment and loyalty throughout their time.

The last time I remember a testimonial match taking place was for Joe Thompson and no one would deny him that, I'm sure. Keith Hanvey was granted a testimonial match and Gary Jones a testimonial season/dinner. I've probably missed one or two, I'm not sure.

Much as I admire and respect Keith Hicks, I think he was amply rewarded, particularly in his later period of employment. I don't think he warrants being granted a testimonial by the club and I think the apparent animosity is unfortunate.

Whether he is or isn’t entitled to a testimonial is all fairly irrelevant to be honest. If he was told he was going to get one, then he’s well within his rights to feel aggrieved. If Simon Gauge hasn’t bothered to even tell him he isn’t having on, he’s right to feel aggrieved.

Those comments on that post concern me greatly & highlight what an absolute state the club is in.

I would fully expect The Trust to either make a statement about this or get involved and do something.

Who the hell is running PR for the club? It’s an absolute car crash. There’s even less communication coming out of the club now than when the previous North Korean board were attempting to sell us down the river.

The apathy being displayed towards the club is now beyond a joke. We’re actually in a worse position now than when all the MH stuff was going on. How!?!

We are on an incredibly dangerous path to destruction here and nobody seems to be doing anything.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2023 7:39]
Poor state of affairs if true on 08:15 - Mar 17 with 6422 viewsTalkingSutty

Poor state of affairs if true on 07:38 - Mar 17 by fourfourtwo

Whether he is or isn’t entitled to a testimonial is all fairly irrelevant to be honest. If he was told he was going to get one, then he’s well within his rights to feel aggrieved. If Simon Gauge hasn’t bothered to even tell him he isn’t having on, he’s right to feel aggrieved.

Those comments on that post concern me greatly & highlight what an absolute state the club is in.

I would fully expect The Trust to either make a statement about this or get involved and do something.

Who the hell is running PR for the club? It’s an absolute car crash. There’s even less communication coming out of the club now than when the previous North Korean board were attempting to sell us down the river.

The apathy being displayed towards the club is now beyond a joke. We’re actually in a worse position now than when all the MH stuff was going on. How!?!

We are on an incredibly dangerous path to destruction here and nobody seems to be doing anything.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2023 7:39]

No that's wrong, we are in a far better position than we would have been had MH/ Southgate got hold of the club. The reason that didn't happen was because the current board stepped up and shelled out a lot of their own money. We would have lost the club had they not done that.

Maybe the sound of silence from everybody is the prelude to a sudden drum role and unveiling of a new all singing, all dancing investor? There has to be a explanation for it.

You are right about the PR disaster though but that doesn't only apply to the club, they aren't the only ones who have decided that keeping quiet is the best course of action. It's something we've seen before though.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2023 8:24]
Poor state of affairs if true on 09:07 - Mar 17 with 6353 viewsfourfourtwo

Poor state of affairs if true on 08:15 - Mar 17 by TalkingSutty

No that's wrong, we are in a far better position than we would have been had MH/ Southgate got hold of the club. The reason that didn't happen was because the current board stepped up and shelled out a lot of their own money. We would have lost the club had they not done that.

Maybe the sound of silence from everybody is the prelude to a sudden drum role and unveiling of a new all singing, all dancing investor? There has to be a explanation for it.

You are right about the PR disaster though but that doesn't only apply to the club, they aren't the only ones who have decided that keeping quiet is the best course of action. It's something we've seen before though.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2023 8:24]

As much as I understand the sentiment attached to the first paragraph really I have to disagree.

When the MH stuff started playing out, we were fresh out of League One with a still capable playing squad which contained valuable assets. Really at that point most people thought at the very worst we would revert to being a combatant mid table league two team but most wanted us to be challenging towards the top.

Fast forward to now and we are on the cusp of our first venture into non-league with the worst squad ever assembled, all of the playing assets gone (bar Brierley but really he should have gone), & the majority of the fan base are utterly miserable. I don’t want to keep digging up the past but Robbie Stockdale and Jimmy Shan have done an incredible amount of damage to this club. Damage that will inevitably take years to undo.

I can only speak for myself and the Dale fans I know personally, but the amount who have given up already concerns me greatly. I used to attend with 4 season ticket holders who stopped attending games months ago.

In my opinion things are worse now than at any point prior & to go back to the original point of this post there are clearly some deeply troubling issues behind the scenes which need addressing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024