Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ainsworth 17:14 - Sep 30 with 124933 viewsGloucs_R

Needs to be a discussion had.....

The squad we've got are not bottom 3.

We're getting tactically outmanoeuvred at home almost every time we play.

It's not a lack of experience in the team anymore. A lack of firepower, possibly, but we should be better than this.

Edit, perhaps I should have said our starting xi are not bottom 3. I agree, the overall squad is poor.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2023 17:29]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Ainsworth on 10:18 - Oct 5 with 2739 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ainsworth on 09:24 - Oct 5 by Gloucs_R

The alternatives... Not saying I would want them or if they would even come.... But most of these are available

Leam Richardson
Neil Warnock
Nathan Jones
Gary Monk
Lee Bowyer
Graham Potter
Steve Bruce
Slaven Bilic
Chris Wilder
Mark Warburton
Chris Houghton
Sol Campbell
Paul Ince

Sorry, couldn't resist putting the last two šŸ˜

Not including any overseas managers.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2023 9:29]

Iā€™m no fan of Sol Campbell or Paul Ince but that you think these are the most problematic on that list is interesting!
Ainsworth on 10:22 - Oct 5 with 2709 viewsNed_Kennedys

Ainsworth on 08:37 - Oct 5 by Esox_Lucius

I bet you believed the government did a great job with lockdown too. You're just saying it is made up because you don't want to believe the truth.
Onuoha's podcasts should have given you some clues too, along with the quickish removals at the time of Derry, Mackie, Barton & the promotion of Hill to club spokesman.

Yes thatā€™s a good comparison šŸ˜‚

Bored engaging with you now: you clearly have no idea.

How the club could do with players of the stature, leadership and temperament of Derry and Hill right now.
Ainsworth on 10:25 - Oct 5 with 2689 viewsslmrstid

Ainsworth on 10:04 - Oct 5 by DieByYourSide

Anyone got our PPG since the glorious 4-0 win over Reading under Warbs where we seemed destined for promotion? Been utter crap aside from a dozen games under Beale ever since.

If you'd like to be really depressed, since 1 January 2022 our league record is:-

P 79
W 23
D 17
L 39
F 77
A 117
Pts 86

PPG - 1.09

If you discount the 5 games (4 wins, 1 draw) up to and including the 4-0 win over Reading its...

P 74
W 19
D 16
L 39
F 68
A 115
Pts 73

PPG 0.99

Garbage.
Ainsworth on 10:26 - Oct 5 with 2669 viewsmart_Goblin

I think we have to come to terms with the fact that it has to get a lot worse (imagine being a lot worse than this ) for us to sack GA. We simply canā€™t afford to. Heā€™s been made the fall guy to an extent being given this wafer thin squad but it all appears to be the case that he will over see this team come what what may, even if it includes relegation.

Only thing that could change that is if we start getting battered every week ala Watford away. Otherwise heā€™s here to stay .

If it was up to me ā€¦.Iā€™d get a fresh set of eyes on this squad and see what they can do. It might be that this squad is too thin and still too damaged (Colbackā€™s sending off appears to have returned the demons of last season), but I think weā€™d regret going down (which we will no doubt) without trying to change the way we play somehow .
Ainsworth on 10:44 - Oct 5 with 2580 viewsNorthernr

Ainsworth on 10:26 - Oct 5 by mart_Goblin

I think we have to come to terms with the fact that it has to get a lot worse (imagine being a lot worse than this ) for us to sack GA. We simply canā€™t afford to. Heā€™s been made the fall guy to an extent being given this wafer thin squad but it all appears to be the case that he will over see this team come what what may, even if it includes relegation.

Only thing that could change that is if we start getting battered every week ala Watford away. Otherwise heā€™s here to stay .

If it was up to me ā€¦.Iā€™d get a fresh set of eyes on this squad and see what they can do. It might be that this squad is too thin and still too damaged (Colbackā€™s sending off appears to have returned the demons of last season), but I think weā€™d regret going down (which we will no doubt) without trying to change the way we play somehow .

I think this is about where I am mate.

To add, Gareth putting so much faith, hype and chat behind a group of a few 30 year olds was always likely to blow up on him in a long Championship winter, regardless of the apparently miracle working Ben Williams, and sure enough you've now got Cook, Colback, Fox all hobbling out of games this week and Begovic potentially suspended (though you'd think that would be rescinded).

These players were available within our price range for a reason.
Ainsworth on 10:54 - Oct 5 with 2535 viewsRangersw12

šŸ‘€šŸ‘€
Ainsworth on 11:00 - Oct 5 with 2478 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

One thing I considered, if we do go down, who better than Ainsworth to get us back up?
Ainsworth on 11:01 - Oct 5 with 2484 viewsToast_R

Ainsworth on 10:54 - Oct 5 by Rangersw12

šŸ‘€šŸ‘€

Sheffield Wednesday
Login to get fewer ads

Ainsworth on 11:01 - Oct 5 with 2482 viewsBluce_Ree

Warnock is the only manager I want right now.

Like no fking about, let's get him back and if that doesn't work let's just wind the club up and move on with our lives yeah?

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Ainsworth on 11:02 - Oct 5 with 2482 viewsNorthernr

Ainsworth on 11:01 - Oct 5 by Toast_R

Sheffield Wednesday

Surely, surely, that's even a ridiculous step too far for him? He hates them, they hate him.
Ainsworth on 11:06 - Oct 5 with 2457 viewsRangersw12

Ainsworth on 11:00 - Oct 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

One thing I considered, if we do go down, who better than Ainsworth to get us back up?

Playing this sort of football ?

No chance
Ainsworth on 11:06 - Oct 5 with 2460 viewsTheChef

Ainsworth on 11:02 - Oct 5 by Northernr

Surely, surely, that's even a ridiculous step too far for him? He hates them, they hate him.

If he went there, would be final proof that end times are upon us.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ainsworth on 11:44 - Oct 5 with 2375 viewsGloucs_R

Ainsworth on 10:18 - Oct 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

Iā€™m no fan of Sol Campbell or Paul Ince but that you think these are the most problematic on that list is interesting!

In terms of ruffling the feathers of fans I certainly think those would more than the others.

Funny how stock rises and falls very quickly within football.

I would have Potter in a heartbeat, absolutely no chance he would come to us though I suspect.

Two years ago we would have all probably have gone for Wilder or maybe Houghton.

Ainsworth on 12:01 - Oct 5 with 2279 viewssixnil

Warnock might be able to get Willock up and running...
Ainsworth on 12:05 - Oct 5 with 2237 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ainsworth on 11:44 - Oct 5 by Gloucs_R

In terms of ruffling the feathers of fans I certainly think those would more than the others.

Funny how stock rises and falls very quickly within football.

I would have Potter in a heartbeat, absolutely no chance he would come to us though I suspect.

Two years ago we would have all probably have gone for Wilder or maybe Houghton.

Couldn't agree more, which is my argument for keeping Ainsworth. Stock goes up and down. IF we beat Blackburn and Huddersfield which aren't out of the question then we're lower mid table with a nice gap with relegation and his stock is on the rise again.

Here's an Athletic article on Ainsworth. Who wouldn't have recruited this guy.

https://theathletic.com/4216312/2021/04/23/wycombe-wanderers-relegated-from-cham
[Post edited 5 Oct 2023 12:05]
Ainsworth on 12:09 - Oct 5 with 2221 viewsGloucs_R

Ainsworth on 10:44 - Oct 5 by Northernr

I think this is about where I am mate.

To add, Gareth putting so much faith, hype and chat behind a group of a few 30 year olds was always likely to blow up on him in a long Championship winter, regardless of the apparently miracle working Ben Williams, and sure enough you've now got Cook, Colback, Fox all hobbling out of games this week and Begovic potentially suspended (though you'd think that would be rescinded).

These players were available within our price range for a reason.

We lacked leadership and experience which Ainsworth brought in over the summer.

We've got a blend of youth waiting in the wings. Kolli, Armstrong and Lakerch. Good enough for the championship? Not at this stage but they all have potential.

We lack, and have done for years now, a goal scoring striker.

Personally think that we've never found the perfect position for chair or when we have he's been moved wide.

I would perhaps look at a 4231 formation again... With Field and Colback as the 2. But rather than punting the ball forward every time we get out play through those attacking four and keep it on the floor.

Desperately need Cannon to Hit the ground running.

Ainsworth on 12:16 - Oct 5 with 2180 viewstoboboly

I don't think we have the money, there won't be any throwing of any dice. This is us for the season, if you value your health stop demanding changes or else you're gonna make yourselves ill.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ainsworth on 12:27 - Oct 5 with 2111 viewsbosh67

I think someone said something very similar to what I've said in that realistically Ainsworth is here to stay, even if we do go down. Perhaps we should have gone down last year and then we could have had a very different type of rebuild.

Ainsworth has been told that there is no money, no loans, nothing in the pot to get another forward or anything like that. His hands are tied behind his back and he's hopping on one leg. He actually said before the window closed that ideally he would have liked another 10 or 11 but he got in what he could. We have decent players at this level, older, not that in demand and none of them are goal scorers. But that is where we are at, paying for all the financial mistakes that the club has made over the years. We are now the poor relations of the division and we have a manager who is used to having to work with very limited resources.

The problem is that his style of play is very limited and we're seeing that more this season. The players do try but the football is limited and that is partly due to what Ainsworth can but much more to do with having ultra limited resources going forward. Dykes did a very good thing and signed a long contract because it helps us make some money when he moves on. He will move on and that will leave us with nothing really.

The criticism I have re Armstrong is that it seems bloody obvious that he needs a mentor and the obvious one to 1-2-1 coach him is Furlong. Has that been done? probably not. But where we are at is having a second striker who has a lot of potential but no real instinct in front of goal, alongside one who doesn't score many anyway. Willock has lost his confidence and mojo. Chair is half lost without him. Our defence and midfield are kind of okay but we have almost nothing going forward, with no chance to solve it bar other juniors.

Ainsworth gets pelters for smiling and half laughing in interviews but I think half of that is actually frustration and nerves. He knows it's not going well but all he has is enthusiasm and hope, and hope has got a hamstring injury metaphorically.

I doubt we will pull the plug on Ainsworth any time soon (or at time of writing this) because he was appointed I think based on the fact that we are short term doomed, mid term doomed and possible long term not so doomed.

But come on guys. Ainsworth has no money, no loans, a total lack of senior striker options, a midfielder with no hamstrings, another who sadly has mental health issues and others who are misfiring. I wouldn't be Ainsworth for anything right now but like the rest of this squad, realistically he's all we've got. Would Warnock do better under these circumstances even if we could afford him? Dubious. I don't think there are other managers who could get much more out of this given that we they have so little to work with.

Let's also add that we have no DOF so Ainsworth is copping all that responsibility as well.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2023 12:34]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Ainsworth on 13:03 - Oct 5 with 1948 viewsBurnleyhoop

Ainsworth on 10:26 - Oct 5 by mart_Goblin

Was adamant that he should be given the entire season, but if he cannot improve on last nights abject performance and we start to become cut adrift at the bottom (along with Rotherham and SW) he really will need to fall on his sword no later than the completion of the Christmas programme.

This would give a new manager sufficient time to attempt to turn things around and Ainsworth could have no complaints about not having had a fair crack of the whip.
Ainsworth on 13:09 - Oct 5 with 1899 viewsE15Hoop

Ainsworth on 12:27 - Oct 5 by bosh67

I think someone said something very similar to what I've said in that realistically Ainsworth is here to stay, even if we do go down. Perhaps we should have gone down last year and then we could have had a very different type of rebuild.

Ainsworth has been told that there is no money, no loans, nothing in the pot to get another forward or anything like that. His hands are tied behind his back and he's hopping on one leg. He actually said before the window closed that ideally he would have liked another 10 or 11 but he got in what he could. We have decent players at this level, older, not that in demand and none of them are goal scorers. But that is where we are at, paying for all the financial mistakes that the club has made over the years. We are now the poor relations of the division and we have a manager who is used to having to work with very limited resources.

The problem is that his style of play is very limited and we're seeing that more this season. The players do try but the football is limited and that is partly due to what Ainsworth can but much more to do with having ultra limited resources going forward. Dykes did a very good thing and signed a long contract because it helps us make some money when he moves on. He will move on and that will leave us with nothing really.

The criticism I have re Armstrong is that it seems bloody obvious that he needs a mentor and the obvious one to 1-2-1 coach him is Furlong. Has that been done? probably not. But where we are at is having a second striker who has a lot of potential but no real instinct in front of goal, alongside one who doesn't score many anyway. Willock has lost his confidence and mojo. Chair is half lost without him. Our defence and midfield are kind of okay but we have almost nothing going forward, with no chance to solve it bar other juniors.

Ainsworth gets pelters for smiling and half laughing in interviews but I think half of that is actually frustration and nerves. He knows it's not going well but all he has is enthusiasm and hope, and hope has got a hamstring injury metaphorically.

I doubt we will pull the plug on Ainsworth any time soon (or at time of writing this) because he was appointed I think based on the fact that we are short term doomed, mid term doomed and possible long term not so doomed.

But come on guys. Ainsworth has no money, no loans, a total lack of senior striker options, a midfielder with no hamstrings, another who sadly has mental health issues and others who are misfiring. I wouldn't be Ainsworth for anything right now but like the rest of this squad, realistically he's all we've got. Would Warnock do better under these circumstances even if we could afford him? Dubious. I don't think there are other managers who could get much more out of this given that we they have so little to work with.

Let's also add that we have no DOF so Ainsworth is copping all that responsibility as well.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2023 12:34]

Amen Bosh - well said, Fella.
I think also the pre-season interview with Amit and Ruben set the tone, as did Uncle Tony getting on his bike. I think they've officially decided to take the short-term pain for long-term hope and stability approach on the basis that continually gambling and rolling the dice has brought us to where we are now anyway.
This is it folks. Settle down in your comfy sofa and enjoy the rise, because it ain't changing anytime soon, judging by the Under-18 scores in particular.
Ainsworth on 13:23 - Oct 5 with 1791 viewsE15Hoop

Ainsworth on 13:03 - Oct 5 by Burnleyhoop

Was adamant that he should be given the entire season, but if he cannot improve on last nights abject performance and we start to become cut adrift at the bottom (along with Rotherham and SW) he really will need to fall on his sword no later than the completion of the Christmas programme.

This would give a new manager sufficient time to attempt to turn things around and Ainsworth could have no complaints about not having had a fair crack of the whip.

But who and how??
We've had Barry BadKnees, The Second Coming of Olly. Hair Island McClaren, The Warbler, Honest Uncle Michaƫl Boilface and now WIld Thing, and everyone of them has presided over periods where the team they've been championing has completely and utterly cratered.
I don't see Pep Guardiola charging down the Goldhawk Road on his white steed.
To quote the beloved JFH "We are where we are".
Ainsworth on 13:31 - Oct 5 with 1729 viewsG_Ottershaw

if it is what it is and we're keeping GA for the foreseeable future, then i don't get why Dobson and Hall are not making more of an input. If something's not working then surely they must have the experience to suggest some improvements/changes. what are the assistants for, counting press-ups ?
Ainsworth on 13:31 - Oct 5 with 1727 viewsTheChef

Ainsworth on 13:23 - Oct 5 by E15Hoop

But who and how??
We've had Barry BadKnees, The Second Coming of Olly. Hair Island McClaren, The Warbler, Honest Uncle Michaƫl Boilface and now WIld Thing, and everyone of them has presided over periods where the team they've been championing has completely and utterly cratered.
I don't see Pep Guardiola charging down the Goldhawk Road on his white steed.
To quote the beloved JFH "We are where we are".

I'd love to see Pep in charge of this lot

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ainsworth on 13:38 - Oct 5 with 1665 viewsQPunkR

I really don't get where people think we have the money to sack Gaz and his backroom team and hire a new manager

QPR - "shit but local"

Ainsworth on 13:46 - Oct 5 with 1612 viewsbaz_qpr

I keep hearing the problem is strikers or the problem is lack of money .. etc

The problem is we cannot get the balance right between creating chances (I can't remember the last time we missed a clear cut chance) and being solid. Our tactics seem to be to completely give up on using the midfield for attacking purpose. We have no pattern of attacking play. We have excellent pattern of defensive play. With the squad we've got we need the management team to make a difference at both ends of the pitch and that is not happening, confidence and belief has fallen.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024