Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ainsworth 17:14 - Sep 30 with 127352 viewsGloucs_R

Needs to be a discussion had.....

The squad we've got are not bottom 3.

We're getting tactically outmanoeuvred at home almost every time we play.

It's not a lack of experience in the team anymore. A lack of firepower, possibly, but we should be better than this.

Edit, perhaps I should have said our starting xi are not bottom 3. I agree, the overall squad is poor.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2023 17:29]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Ainsworth on 14:01 - Oct 8 with 3873 viewsJevlar

Ainsworth on 09:20 - Oct 8 by PastCaringNW2

An appeasement appointment has appeasement consequences.

The club's endless fueling of nostalgia for 67, 76, 82, 04 is also part of the problem or rather an exercise in distraction. Forever Rs is a beautiful thing but also has a role in keeping people docile.

We needed a forward-thinking strategy, heavy on data and Individualised coaching with a high degree of risk-reward. We got the Dad Rock strategy instead complete with the endless repackaging of the back catalogue.

Right now we would struggle to get a Luke Garrard or even a Gareth Taylor ( speaking of nostalgia! ) to come here. Emma Hayes probably wouldn't even take the meeting.

Still you can always buy a 96 relegation season away shirt to cheer yourself up and all those home defeats now feel depressingly familiar. And dare.I say that was another season when owners were looking to get out from under at the least possible expense to themselves.

And we let Warbs go for this???

Couldn’t agree more. Forever Rs is clearly a good thing but this trip down memory lane does my head in. Likewise the music selection at half time. You’re more likely to hear Chaka Khan or Kool and The Gang, than anything remotely close recent. It just adds to this weird nostalgia vibe we get served up.

The last time we were a decent PL team was 30 years ago. We need to be looking ahead if we want to achieve that again.
Ainsworth on 14:29 - Oct 8 with 3696 viewsQPRConor2000

If Ainsworth isn't sacked by the Huddersfield game, then I wouldn't be shocked if we saw many deciding to give back their season tickets, Ive seen a lot saying that if hes still in charge by the Leicester home game then they wont go.

Its clear that the fans have turned, the players have turned on Ainsworth as well, yet Amit Bhatia is up at a golf tournament in Scotland, I mean read the room Amit.

[Post edited 8 Oct 2023 14:31]
Ainsworth on 14:30 - Oct 8 with 3697 viewsNorthantsHoop

In the words of Albert Einstein that come to mind with poor old Gareth trying to convince us it will improve " The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".
Ainsworth on 14:53 - Oct 8 with 3551 viewsrbee

Gareth has shown that he can set up a QPR team to play well as shown at Burnley, Stoke and 'Boro and Cardiff this season so why have we been so awful the past few weeks? Too many formation changes, too much tinkering with tactics?

At the time of Colback's red card we were playing well and I expected Duke-McKenna to simply step in and take over that role but no Gareth changed everything.

I am currently watching the Brighton v Liverpool game and the commentators are discussing the amount of changes that Brighton make to their starting eleven without affecting team performance. It's because Brighton have a style of play and each squad member knows their job when selected to play.

Most fans can see that playing Armstrong and Dykes together doesn't work but yet Gareth doesn't. Gareth said that we would be getting plenty of crosses in to Dykes but that has not been happening.

Assuming that Gareth stays he has to reset and get his team organised and playing like they were a month ago when we were all saying that we didn't look like a relegation team.
Ainsworth on 14:53 - Oct 8 with 3548 viewsqprphil

Ainsworth on 09:46 - Oct 8 by Hoopsie

This. My thoughts too

I was big on motivation thing that Ainsworth keeps espousing - the camaraderie, the haka, protecting the boys, it’s my fault not theirs, empty the tanks, boys gave it all - which I thought was severely lacking in last year’s squad that fell apart after Beale departed and dropped like a ton of rocks down the table.

I truly believe our squad is a decent XI but overall weak. However, we shouldn’t be easily picked off especially at home. Ainsworth, sadly, is devoid of any tactical nous and virtually no game plan and that is utterly telling.

I still believe with a good tactical coach that organised a team, this squad wouldn’t be bottom 3, maybe lower league table position but if coached well they should be ok

Not with Ainsworth, unfortunately . And that is the truth. Love the man, but his time is up.

Bang on.
Ainsworth on 15:00 - Oct 8 with 3493 viewsRangersw12

Ainsworth on 14:53 - Oct 8 by rbee

Gareth has shown that he can set up a QPR team to play well as shown at Burnley, Stoke and 'Boro and Cardiff this season so why have we been so awful the past few weeks? Too many formation changes, too much tinkering with tactics?

At the time of Colback's red card we were playing well and I expected Duke-McKenna to simply step in and take over that role but no Gareth changed everything.

I am currently watching the Brighton v Liverpool game and the commentators are discussing the amount of changes that Brighton make to their starting eleven without affecting team performance. It's because Brighton have a style of play and each squad member knows their job when selected to play.

Most fans can see that playing Armstrong and Dykes together doesn't work but yet Gareth doesn't. Gareth said that we would be getting plenty of crosses in to Dykes but that has not been happening.

Assuming that Gareth stays he has to reset and get his team organised and playing like they were a month ago when we were all saying that we didn't look like a relegation team.

Burnley we were very lucky and had 20% possession

Stoke were awful and even then we made it hard work to beat them again having 20% possession

Boro We played quite well but caught them at a good time and they missed loads of chances

Cardiff Played well but we caught them on he hop.and we basically beat them by surprising them .

Reason why it's been poor since Boro is that every team has worked us out and they attack the right hand side . Sadly Ainsworth hasn't got the tactical nous to do anything about it and every week it's easier for teams

Yesterday was on of the worst home performances in our history and he needs to go
[Post edited 8 Oct 2023 15:01]
Ainsworth on 15:03 - Oct 8 with 3476 viewsqprphil

Ainsworth on 11:46 - Oct 8 by Rs_Holy

I was firmly in the ‘stick with GA’ camp all the the way until around 3:45 yesterday…
Gareth, I love you mate but it’s time to move on. Yesterday’s episode was embarrassing for just about everyone concerned… we need to get back to some proper football fundamentals. This squad is almost certainly going down but let’s do it playing some structured, tactical footy…
My current biggest fear is it’s going to get even worse than yesterday when we play Leicester.

Perhaps Leicester could play with nine men and give us a chance. Having said that, could we be in for a surprise result.? And I don't mean losing 10-0.
Ainsworth on 15:13 - Oct 8 with 3397 viewsrbee

Ainsworth on 15:00 - Oct 8 by Rangersw12

Stoke were awful and even then we made it hard work to beat them again having 20% possession

Boro We played quite well but caught them at a good time and they missed loads of chances

Cardiff Played well but we caught them on he hop.and we basically beat them by surprising them .

Reason why it's been poor since Boro is that every team has worked us out and they attack the right hand side . Sadly Ainsworth hasn't got the tactical nous to do anything about it and every week it's easier for teams

Yesterday was on of the worst home performances in our history and he needs to go

We did what we had to do to win those games irrespective of what the oppostion did or didn't do.

In recent games teams have been playing football against us, moving the ball quickly, accurate passing, midfielders quickly supporting the attack, strikers finding space. Everything that we don't do.

Sadly you do have to question Gareth's tactical nous both before and during games and the fact that he is so slow to react. There are no excuses for yesterday and I would be surprised if he turned it around although it can be done.
Login to get fewer ads

Ainsworth on 15:41 - Oct 8 with 3266 viewskensalriser

Ainsworth on 14:30 - Oct 8 by NorthantsHoop

In the words of Albert Einstein that come to mind with poor old Gareth trying to convince us it will improve " The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".

https://www.history.com/news/here-are-6-things-albert-einstein-never-said

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Ainsworth on 16:01 - Oct 8 with 3154 viewsPeterHucker

Just bought tickets for Huddersfield for myself & my son.

I think Ainsworth probably won't be manager by then, but I can't really decide if that's a good thing or not.

I don't think Ainsworth is any kind of managerial wunderkind but I also know how tight things are with FFP, so can we really afford to pay off another manager?
Especially if we're bringing in another manager who will probably also struggle to get results with these players, and then we'll have to pay him off before the end of the season.
I think we're going down no matter who the manager is.
We can't score goals and we can't defend.
We haven't been able to score goals or defend well for 18 months now.

Our players are just not good enough.
With the exception of Chair & Dykes, I don't think any of our players would get in the first XI at most other Championship clubs.
Maybe Field as well, but not sure.

Some of our players are massively over-rated by our supporters.
Paal gets done for pace every single effing match.
Armstrong might be a decent striker one day, but he's definitely not there yet.
Willock has ability but I don't know what's going on with him, but he's either lost his self-belief completely or he is just phoning it in.
JCS is pretty good when he actually plays.
As much I like Adomah he was an excellent Championship player in his day, but he's too old now.
Colback, Cook, Fox = very good Championship level players in the past, all a bit past their best these days, age / injuries starting to catch up with them.
Youngsters Dixon-Bonner, Aoraha, Duke-McKenna, Kolli etc all look quite promising, but we need players who are good enough right now, and these lads aren't (yet)
Smyth runs his little legs off, but like Chair the end result is frequently a goal kick to the opposition.
I think Clive said elsewhere that Chair, Field, Willock could've been picked up for not much money this summer and nobody came in for them. That says a lot about how good they really are.

Look at the players we released in the summer. They've mostly either had to drop down a level or 2 or they've still not got a club.

With the exception of a handful of games in September 2022, these players been playing really poorly for about 18 months.
In that time we've had 4 different permanent managers.

So I think Ainsworth will probably be gone in the next few days, and I'm miserable about that because I think he's a good man.
I'm miserable about it too because I'm sure whoever the new manager is it won't make any susbtantial difference to our results.
Ainsworth on 16:03 - Oct 8 with 3136 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ainsworth on 10:54 - Oct 8 by Northernr

Our impression at Leeds was the players were distinctly unhappy and unimpressed with what they were being asked to do, particularly Dykes, Cook and JCS. A lot of big exasperated sighs and arms flaps at each other and the other players. I can't imagine players like Cook and Colback who've played at the level they have want to be punting channel balls for Dykes to try and flick on to Sinclair Armstrong.

That team selection yesterday was legitimately insane.

Last season the attitude of certain players was diabolical. The quality of the squad now would mitigate things for any manager. HOWEVER, I might be in a minority but I look at the team and I don't really see people not caring or not putting effort in. I didn't even think yesterday was down to lack of effort or an unwillingness to work. Who in our squad has that poor attitude? Individually, barring some sub-par performances from Willock, I have very few issues with the attitude of our players this season.

What I am seeing, however, is confused players. Players unsure of their jobs. Not playing to a plan or as a team. Pressing as individuals and being bypassed with ease as a result. There is no attacking plan beyond balls into the channel or hoping Chair does something or Armstrong bulldozes his way in for something else. There's no movement. People criticising Chair for not releasing it but I was watching closely yesterday and 9 times out of 10 there was no option on. Compare to how Blackburn attack as a team, constantly outnumbering us going forward, and then outnumbering us when defending. This is not down to players. This is down to coaching, patterns of play, triggers, players knowing and understanding the plan and going out and executing it. Every game looks like someone playing Fifa or Football Manager: change the formation and tell them to go out and play. At this level it is simply not good enough, and certainly does not suit the players we have.

This is exactly what looked like would happen before the season started. I adore Gaz. Wycombe has been the first result I look for after QPR every week for years because I was so desperate for him to be a success. But we are miles off. Miles and miles and miles. Yesterday will be the final straw, because the hope against hope he was the right man has evaporated completely.

Bare bones.

Ainsworth on 16:19 - Oct 8 with 3034 viewsmart_Goblin

Ainsworth on 16:03 - Oct 8 by Antti_Heinola

Last season the attitude of certain players was diabolical. The quality of the squad now would mitigate things for any manager. HOWEVER, I might be in a minority but I look at the team and I don't really see people not caring or not putting effort in. I didn't even think yesterday was down to lack of effort or an unwillingness to work. Who in our squad has that poor attitude? Individually, barring some sub-par performances from Willock, I have very few issues with the attitude of our players this season.

What I am seeing, however, is confused players. Players unsure of their jobs. Not playing to a plan or as a team. Pressing as individuals and being bypassed with ease as a result. There is no attacking plan beyond balls into the channel or hoping Chair does something or Armstrong bulldozes his way in for something else. There's no movement. People criticising Chair for not releasing it but I was watching closely yesterday and 9 times out of 10 there was no option on. Compare to how Blackburn attack as a team, constantly outnumbering us going forward, and then outnumbering us when defending. This is not down to players. This is down to coaching, patterns of play, triggers, players knowing and understanding the plan and going out and executing it. Every game looks like someone playing Fifa or Football Manager: change the formation and tell them to go out and play. At this level it is simply not good enough, and certainly does not suit the players we have.

This is exactly what looked like would happen before the season started. I adore Gaz. Wycombe has been the first result I look for after QPR every week for years because I was so desperate for him to be a success. But we are miles off. Miles and miles and miles. Yesterday will be the final straw, because the hope against hope he was the right man has evaporated completely.

Hard to argue with majority of that. I’m the same, I don’t think they are not trying , even Willock (and I know I was in minority here ) I didn’t see him not trying, I saw him not trusting his body and with that not having the confidence to do what he was doing a year ago, and with no confidence in his body or ability he is nothing.

This lot simply ain’t good enough, especially in the style they are being told to play in right now.
Ainsworth on 16:29 - Oct 8 with 2960 viewsR_from_afar

Ainsworth on 16:01 - Oct 8 by PeterHucker

Just bought tickets for Huddersfield for myself & my son.

I think Ainsworth probably won't be manager by then, but I can't really decide if that's a good thing or not.

I don't think Ainsworth is any kind of managerial wunderkind but I also know how tight things are with FFP, so can we really afford to pay off another manager?
Especially if we're bringing in another manager who will probably also struggle to get results with these players, and then we'll have to pay him off before the end of the season.
I think we're going down no matter who the manager is.
We can't score goals and we can't defend.
We haven't been able to score goals or defend well for 18 months now.

Our players are just not good enough.
With the exception of Chair & Dykes, I don't think any of our players would get in the first XI at most other Championship clubs.
Maybe Field as well, but not sure.

Some of our players are massively over-rated by our supporters.
Paal gets done for pace every single effing match.
Armstrong might be a decent striker one day, but he's definitely not there yet.
Willock has ability but I don't know what's going on with him, but he's either lost his self-belief completely or he is just phoning it in.
JCS is pretty good when he actually plays.
As much I like Adomah he was an excellent Championship player in his day, but he's too old now.
Colback, Cook, Fox = very good Championship level players in the past, all a bit past their best these days, age / injuries starting to catch up with them.
Youngsters Dixon-Bonner, Aoraha, Duke-McKenna, Kolli etc all look quite promising, but we need players who are good enough right now, and these lads aren't (yet)
Smyth runs his little legs off, but like Chair the end result is frequently a goal kick to the opposition.
I think Clive said elsewhere that Chair, Field, Willock could've been picked up for not much money this summer and nobody came in for them. That says a lot about how good they really are.

Look at the players we released in the summer. They've mostly either had to drop down a level or 2 or they've still not got a club.

With the exception of a handful of games in September 2022, these players been playing really poorly for about 18 months.
In that time we've had 4 different permanent managers.

So I think Ainsworth will probably be gone in the next few days, and I'm miserable about that because I think he's a good man.
I'm miserable about it too because I'm sure whoever the new manager is it won't make any susbtantial difference to our results.

Oops sorry, I downvoted your post by mistake, I meant to upvote it.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ainsworth on 17:03 - Oct 8 with 2760 viewsRangersw12

Probably BS but 🤞 it's not

Ainsworth on 17:30 - Oct 8 with 2623 viewsQPROslo

Regarding teams attacking our right hand side to be fair on that one he hasn't got better alternatives defensively until hopefully Cannon is ready. Kakay has looked increasingly insecure and had a mare at Leeds. Albert has done better coming on as sub recently but he is possibly not going to last 90 and at RB? Drewe wasn't great last season and not seen him this. Larkeshe was a gamble that worked to start with but not as the game wore on. In retrospect dropping Kakay before Cannon can start, with Cook out and going 4 at the back was probably not the best game to do it but there was probably no great alternative at RB.
Ainsworth on 17:44 - Oct 8 with 2524 viewstraininvain

Rooney to Birmingham looks to be nailed on. It’d be a real stroke of luck if we could somehow come out of this situation with Eustace as manager. No doubt our owners will find a way to mess it up.
Ainsworth on 17:49 - Oct 8 with 2473 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Ainsworth on 17:30 - Oct 8 by QPROslo

Regarding teams attacking our right hand side to be fair on that one he hasn't got better alternatives defensively until hopefully Cannon is ready. Kakay has looked increasingly insecure and had a mare at Leeds. Albert has done better coming on as sub recently but he is possibly not going to last 90 and at RB? Drewe wasn't great last season and not seen him this. Larkeshe was a gamble that worked to start with but not as the game wore on. In retrospect dropping Kakay before Cannon can start, with Cook out and going 4 at the back was probably not the best game to do it but there was probably no great alternative at RB.

But we knew that before the season started. Fox can play LB. Yet we signed a third LB in Larkeche when we only had Kakay who wasn’t good enough anyway.

Maybe Cannon was always the plan at RB and it took a long time to sort the Boavista stuff out… but going into this season with only Kakay was suicide.
Ainsworth on 18:02 - Oct 8 with 2383 viewsQPROslo

Ainsworth on 17:49 - Oct 8 by Padulas_Shampoo

But we knew that before the season started. Fox can play LB. Yet we signed a third LB in Larkeche when we only had Kakay who wasn’t good enough anyway.

Maybe Cannon was always the plan at RB and it took a long time to sort the Boavista stuff out… but going into this season with only Kakay was suicide.

Yes, Cannon took time and still is. If I remember right Larkeshe was signed well before Fox and as cover for Paal. Fox was signed I think I to play mainly where he has played mostly as a left sided CB, as frequently required cover for JCS.
Ainsworth on 18:19 - Oct 8 with 2289 viewsEsox_Lucius

Playing devils advocate here but... the club sack GA & Dobson, both on 4 year contracts. As manger he will be on £10k-15 a week plus I would guess and Dobbo not too far behind. This would mean the club are going to go a further £4 or 5m into the hole. Bringing someone in will presumably have a similar cost to bringing GA etc. in.
Figures being bandied about by those with an interest in these things claim that QPR are already over the FFP limit of £39m for a rolling 3 year period by £3-4m already.
To effect change it would appear we need to sell approximately £10m worth of players just to avoid a points deduction and transfer embargo which would leave the squad depleted of its better players and no money to replace them.
Did I get anything wrong?

The grass is always greener.

Ainsworth on 18:28 - Oct 8 with 2236 viewsRangersw12

Ainsworth on 18:19 - Oct 8 by Esox_Lucius

Playing devils advocate here but... the club sack GA & Dobson, both on 4 year contracts. As manger he will be on £10k-15 a week plus I would guess and Dobbo not too far behind. This would mean the club are going to go a further £4 or 5m into the hole. Bringing someone in will presumably have a similar cost to bringing GA etc. in.
Figures being bandied about by those with an interest in these things claim that QPR are already over the FFP limit of £39m for a rolling 3 year period by £3-4m already.
To effect change it would appear we need to sell approximately £10m worth of players just to avoid a points deduction and transfer embargo which would leave the squad depleted of its better players and no money to replace them.

Apparently you only pay a years salary when sacking a manager
Ainsworth on 18:29 - Oct 8 with 2227 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I don't think managers and staff get a full payout, I think maybe a year or something.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ainsworth on 18:32 - Oct 8 with 2180 viewsEsox_Lucius

Ainsworth on 18:29 - Oct 8 by BrianMcCarthy

I don't think managers and staff get a full payout, I think maybe a year or something.

By agreement maybe, as a contract is a contract and I was under the impression that is the reason managers ask for the long contracts so as to make it difficult for poorer clubs to bin them off on a whim.

The grass is always greener.

Ainsworth on 18:36 - Oct 8 with 2161 viewshubble

Doesn't matter, he's still got to go. Whatever the options are, keeping him on is the worst one. Even if we're headed to League 1, I'd like to do it with a competent manager who can effect a rebuild.

It's reached the point where I don't think I can take another game with Ainsworth in charge. The garbage he spouts is embarassing now, and the football is too. He was one of my favourite players of the time, but he's rapidly beocming my least favourite manager. Last season and this (so far), what a farce.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Ainsworth on 18:43 - Oct 8 with 2125 viewsMick_S

Ainsworth on 18:36 - Oct 8 by hubble

Doesn't matter, he's still got to go. Whatever the options are, keeping him on is the worst one. Even if we're headed to League 1, I'd like to do it with a competent manager who can effect a rebuild.

It's reached the point where I don't think I can take another game with Ainsworth in charge. The garbage he spouts is embarassing now, and the football is too. He was one of my favourite players of the time, but he's rapidly beocming my least favourite manager. Last season and this (so far), what a farce.

He’s not the manager to get us out of league one, Hud. He has to go and I hate that. It just hasn’t worked.

Sorry, mate, just re-read your post and that was your point.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2023 18:45]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Ainsworth on 19:27 - Oct 8 with 1915 viewsstainrods_elbow

Blackburn attacked us down the right, down the left, and through the middle!

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024