Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The impending pronunciation culture wars 13:22 - Nov 2 with 5805 viewsFDC

Just finished watching Clive on Talking Rangers, where Charlie gallantly goes with THI-fuentes, whereas Clive doggedly insists on SI-fuentes.

Reminds me of a similar dynamic in my house where I, a woke snowflake, (correctly) insist on pronouncing Chile as Chi-LAY, and valet as va-LAY, but my wife, working class salt of the earth, mocks me with CHI-lee and VA-let.

One problem with the correct pronunciation of Cifuentes is that it's going to be a mouthful when getting animatedly angry about him, especially after a few ales.
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 13:26 - Nov 2 with 4510 viewsNorthernr

I couldn't hep but marvel at Charlie's efforts, he had it down by the end of the broadcast.
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 13:27 - Nov 2 with 4493 viewsJuzzie

f-fwentus?
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 13:32 - Nov 2 with 4451 viewsguitarzan

Depends on whether he’s from Andalucia or not
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 13:33 - Nov 2 with 4440 viewsaston_hoop

He covers it right away in his first interview!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 13:45 - Nov 2 with 4333 viewsslmrstid

Alright Dave
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 13:47 - Nov 2 with 4329 viewsCLAREMAN1995

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 13:26 - Nov 2 by Northernr

I couldn't hep but marvel at Charlie's efforts, he had it down by the end of the broadcast.

I really enjoyed that when it popped up on my YouTube feed .
Did you get any sleep this week Clive you are truly the energizer bunny .
Good to see you laughing a lot even when you said we probably will go down so the new regime change has really helped us all.
Loved the Richards comments but on a serious note this has to be his last chance to deliver for QPR before he is axed
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 14:29 - Nov 2 with 4190 viewsBoston

Stick it up yer junta!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 14:42 - Nov 2 with 4135 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ngbakoto.

Never got to grips with this lad's name.
Login to get fewer ads

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:08 - Nov 2 with 4051 viewsAirtomoreira

Just think of it as a W3W location:

THIEF WENT ACE
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:15 - Nov 2 with 4008 viewsDannyPaddox

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 14:42 - Nov 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

Ngbakoto.

Never got to grips with this lad's name.

Took me a while until I discovered replacing banana with tomato it rhymes with ’Ave a tomato!
[Post edited 2 Nov 2023 15:17]
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:26 - Nov 2 with 3934 viewsLongsufferingR

When we have some on here insisting on putting an apostrophe or even a comma ffs in our CEO's surname, I think this is a battle you're not going to win.
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:28 - Nov 2 with 3915 viewsBrianMcCarthy

In the Internet space no-one can hear you mispronounce.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:33 - Nov 2 with 3875 viewsLongsufferingR

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:28 - Nov 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Sorry, what was that Brian?
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:38 - Nov 2 with 3830 viewsslmrstid

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:28 - Nov 2 by BrianMcCarthy

If no-one is there to hear you mispronounce, have you really mispronounced?
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:49 - Nov 2 with 3785 viewsDannyPaddox

Come on you Thoopa Hooptha!
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:49 - Nov 2 with 3782 viewsBklynRanger

'One problem with the correct pronunciation of Cifuentes is that it's going to be a mouthful when getting animatedly angry about him, especially after a few ales'.

Agreed - standing within 3 feet of an extended rant on how we let the third one in could be an immersive experience if said ranter is supping a pint of peroni while attempting Marti's favoured pronunciation.

In this case though I just go with the South Americans and scrap all this th-th-th action. There's more of them anyway and they've got the FARC.
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:52 - Nov 2 with 3764 viewsQPunkR

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:49 - Nov 2 by BklynRanger

'One problem with the correct pronunciation of Cifuentes is that it's going to be a mouthful when getting animatedly angry about him, especially after a few ales'.

Agreed - standing within 3 feet of an extended rant on how we let the third one in could be an immersive experience if said ranter is supping a pint of peroni while attempting Marti's favoured pronunciation.

In this case though I just go with the South Americans and scrap all this th-th-th action. There's more of them anyway and they've got the FARC.

That's like saying we should spell everything with Zs 'cos the Shermans do it!

QPR - "shit but local"

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:59 - Nov 2 with 3738 viewsFDC

"FI-" Army of Revolutionary Colombia?
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 16:00 - Nov 2 with 3728 viewsMonkey_Roots

a few sherbets in the pub and everyone will look like the spitting image puppet of Roy Hattersley when trying to say his name.
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 16:05 - Nov 2 with 3700 viewsBklynRanger

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:59 - Nov 2 by FDC

"FI-" Army of Revolutionary Colombia?

And there's the Shining Path - they wouldn't want to be left out of any culture rumble
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 16:16 - Nov 2 with 3660 viewseastside_r

Said ranter drinking Peroni. Did you have anyone in mind?
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 16:27 - Nov 2 with 3601 viewsPunteR

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 15:08 - Nov 2 by Airtomoreira

Just think of it as a W3W location:

THIEF WENT ACE

Im gonna go with this one.

THEEF!

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 17:40 - Nov 2 with 3430 viewsPlanetHonneywood

El Gaffer!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes LÒ€ℒoccitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 17:58 - Nov 2 with 3357 viewsflynnbo

In Castilian Spanish, the "c" is pronounced as a "th" before such vowels as "e" and "i" as in "cerbeza" and"cinco" . Otherwise, it's like a "k" before the vowels "a", "o" and "u" such as in"calamares" "con", and "cuenta".

It is pronounced as a soft "s" in certain regions of Spain and Central and South America.

Obviously there will always be extheptions.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2023 17:59]
The impending pronunciation culture wars on 18:00 - Nov 2 with 3339 viewsMick_S

The impending pronunciation culture wars on 17:58 - Nov 2 by flynnbo

In Castilian Spanish, the "c" is pronounced as a "th" before such vowels as "e" and "i" as in "cerbeza" and"cinco" . Otherwise, it's like a "k" before the vowels "a", "o" and "u" such as in"calamares" "con", and "cuenta".

It is pronounced as a soft "s" in certain regions of Spain and Central and South America.

Obviously there will always be extheptions.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2023 17:59]

He’s in London- we’ll have a go.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024