Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Poor substitutions 15:26 - Jan 2 with 4449 viewsrichpr

Find it very worrying that Cifuentes couldn't recognise that our only threat on Monday was Paul Smyth on the right. Full back and centre half both on a booking. What does he do?? He sends on Albert and moves Smyth over to the left. We offered nothing after that.

Just a suggestion - maybe try playing Dykes in midfield. It is clearly not working with him as centre forward, no point in flogging a dead horse with him hiding behind the centre half - thought he did ok playing deeper v Ipswich
Poor substitutions on 15:29 - Jan 2 with 3534 viewsAntti_Heinola

To be fair, he had to move him because putting Adomah on for EDB did not work. So he moved Albert wide right into his normal position, and then Smyth wide left, where I think he scord a lot of goals from for Orient last season? Cutting in? He then did drop Dykes back, first behind Smyth, and then behind Armstrong.
Agree, though, that Smyth was not as threatening after he moved him.

Bare bones.

Poor substitutions on 15:33 - Jan 2 with 3495 viewsNorthernr

Said this last week and was accused of being overly miserable. There is no solution with this group of players. We're going to keep having these discussions after games - maybe this substitution instead of that one, maybe Dykes here instead of there, maybe this instead of that - and some of it might work for a bit and some of it might not. Ultimately, it's a crap squad of players, they're not good enough for the level and their mentality is in the bin to accompany that.
Poor substitutions on 15:34 - Jan 2 with 3483 viewsWatford_Ranger

Did Dykes do anything at Ipswich? Defended from the front a bit but can’t see it working in games we need to actually have the ball and kick it somewhere near the goal.

The Adomah sub was bizarre but I guess the logic is that he’s one of the few capable of crossing a ball and Dykes’ one strength is the occasional headed goal. If Adomah was a racehorse he’d be glue by now.

But can’t really fault Cifuentes for trying something with so few options. He wants to play good, attacking football and this squad is painfully short of the ability or desire to do it. He gives Larkeche a chance and he serves up that.

Zonal marking though. Not for me Clive.
Poor substitutions on 15:36 - Jan 2 with 3467 viewsNorthernr

Poor substitutions on 15:34 - Jan 2 by Watford_Ranger

Did Dykes do anything at Ipswich? Defended from the front a bit but can’t see it working in games we need to actually have the ball and kick it somewhere near the goal.

The Adomah sub was bizarre but I guess the logic is that he’s one of the few capable of crossing a ball and Dykes’ one strength is the occasional headed goal. If Adomah was a racehorse he’d be glue by now.

But can’t really fault Cifuentes for trying something with so few options. He wants to play good, attacking football and this squad is painfully short of the ability or desire to do it. He gives Larkeche a chance and he serves up that.

Zonal marking though. Not for me Clive.

Larkeche is a great example. Comes off the bench a few times, impresses, people get excited, we get threads on here asking for more Larkeche. Gets a start, against a crap side, completely anonymous.

It must be infuriating to manage this group. You see a few things work in a game and you think 'oooh that's nice, we'll try that again next week'. Next week rolls round, the opposite happens.
Poor substitutions on 15:40 - Jan 2 with 3426 viewsTheChef

Poor substitutions on 15:36 - Jan 2 by Northernr

Larkeche is a great example. Comes off the bench a few times, impresses, people get excited, we get threads on here asking for more Larkeche. Gets a start, against a crap side, completely anonymous.

It must be infuriating to manage this group. You see a few things work in a game and you think 'oooh that's nice, we'll try that again next week'. Next week rolls round, the opposite happens.

Yes we have a whole squad of impact subs

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Poor substitutions on 15:53 - Jan 2 with 3368 viewsDeanoMD

He was forced into making the changes, nothing else he could really do.

We just don't have a decent squad at all, it's been poor for some time, probably at an all time low at the moment and with the now ever growing list of injuries once again we appear to have indeed come full circle.

Relegation can't come soon enough as it will finally end this miserable charade.
Poor substitutions on 16:05 - Jan 2 with 3294 viewsrobith

A lot of these players have done in 4 managers now, what's one more
Poor substitutions on 16:15 - Jan 2 with 3246 viewsParkRoyalR

Poor substitutions on 15:36 - Jan 2 by Northernr

Larkeche I thought was very good for first 15-20 minutes and not sure why he was less effective for remainder of 1st Half.

Kolli proved to be a good substitution by the Manager as undoubtedly more forward-minded, but converse to your point about getting over-excited (we do, we're desperate) but we're also in danger of prematurely writing of Larkeche in this role, on basis he was reliant on how Paal and Dozzell performed and quality of ball he was receiving from these two, particularly Dozzell.

In absence of Chair, still believe he's a very good option to start on the left, but maybe in Dozzell's position with Smyth or Kolli wide left.
Login to get fewer ads

Poor substitutions on 16:18 - Jan 2 with 3222 viewsqpr1976

Poor substitutions on 15:33 - Jan 2 by Northernr

Said this last week and was accused of being overly miserable. There is no solution with this group of players. We're going to keep having these discussions after games - maybe this substitution instead of that one, maybe Dykes here instead of there, maybe this instead of that - and some of it might work for a bit and some of it might not. Ultimately, it's a crap squad of players, they're not good enough for the level and their mentality is in the bin to accompany that.

I just felt Adomah for ED-B was an unnecessary substitution at that time in the game. We'd drawn level, were were on top for the only time in the game, threatening with Smyth down the right, the crowd were noticeably louder and got behind the team. Cardiff looked beatable. Then 15 mins after Kola's brilliant assist, Adomah's on and we went back to pissballing around the back 5 that we'd wasted the 1st 45 mins doing.
Poor substitutions on 16:25 - Jan 2 with 3194 viewsbosh67

Poor substitutions on 15:33 - Jan 2 by Northernr

I don't know. I thought Dykes played well in goal against Leeds.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Poor substitutions on 16:25 - Jan 2 with 3192 viewsmart_Goblin

I can only presume that they are reading the data on EDB and it was telling them he was in the danger/ red zone where injuries become 3 or 4 times more likely . At some point they are going to have leave certain players on because we just don’t have the players to change one in the ‘red zone’ or when one is cautioned early.
I guess MC picked the player with the most experience but bloody Norah he looked like he’d never played professional football before.
I guess then it was either take him off again, which would have been excruciating for everybody or re- jiggle the side again which let their left sided defenders off the hook. The right back Ng is decent and Smyth didn’t get a kick.

In hindsight it was the wrong move but if his staff are telling him EDB has to come off then I’m not sure what else he could done. Kakay on and Paal into midfield perhaps?
But as Clive says, you can put whoever, wherever …they’ll still stink the place out
Poor substitutions on 16:35 - Jan 2 with 3128 viewsNorthantsHoop

To be honest I'm more concerned that none of our players can actually strike a football properly, one of the worst culprits is Sam Field he continually fails to connect properly with the ball and his shots are worse than useless.
Poor substitutions on 16:42 - Jan 2 with 3069 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Poor substitutions on 16:35 - Jan 2 by NorthantsHoop

To be honest I'm more concerned that none of our players can actually strike a football properly, one of the worst culprits is Sam Field he continually fails to connect properly with the ball and his shots are worse than useless.

Great post we NEVER connect cleanly and miss multiple chances game after game (Chair is excluded here ).
The way we defend we need to score lots of goals and powerful shots on target means lots of juicy rebounds but we blast most into outer space sadly.
Field has cost us 5 or 6 points with his panic attempts and Andre the ghost has hit a few moon shots when he bothers to swing his leg.
Did anybody else pick up what Marti said about Willock its his hamstring again not his toe or ankle or whatever caused his withdrawl last week.
Illy has a hamstring issue also the storm clouds are firmly parked above us
Poor substitutions on 16:52 - Jan 2 with 3014 viewsNorthantsHoop

Poor substitutions on 16:42 - Jan 2 by CLAREMAN1995

Great post we NEVER connect cleanly and miss multiple chances game after game (Chair is excluded here ).
The way we defend we need to score lots of goals and powerful shots on target means lots of juicy rebounds but we blast most into outer space sadly.
Field has cost us 5 or 6 points with his panic attempts and Andre the ghost has hit a few moon shots when he bothers to swing his leg.
Did anybody else pick up what Marti said about Willock its his hamstring again not his toe or ankle or whatever caused his withdrawl last week.
Illy has a hamstring issue also the storm clouds are firmly parked above us

The modern footballer spends so much time getting into this and that position in the penalty box rather than having a proper dig. This is why Charlie Austin was so good he was proper old school, turn get shot away and could strike a ball. I have been watching so much faffing about in the penalty box from my upper loft seat in recent seasons it does not suprise me we don't score goals.
Poor substitutions on 17:16 - Jan 2 with 2901 viewsqprmarkoct1966

EDB i think was injured and had signalled to the bench , i would have brought Drewe on at moved Cannon into right midfield , keeping Smyth out wide as he was effective . As Clive says we are shuffling the chairs on the titanic. The mistake by Begovich just killed us and the crowd. I would have Joe Walsh back , can not be any worse . I am always positive but i also think we are done. My first game was in October 1966 , home to Grimsby , Division Three so we will be back there again , what the hell , will still be coming back with the boys , it aint about the football , just the day with family and friends , COYRS
Poor substitutions on 17:26 - Jan 2 with 2826 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Its called 'polishing a turd', its gonna be crap no matter what you. MC has the same issue with this group.

I've accepted we will probably be relegated, stay up would be a Brucie, but whatever happens MC needs time to break this squad and build one in his image.
Poor substitutions on 17:26 - Jan 2 with 2832 viewsNed_Kennedys

Poor substitutions on 15:53 - Jan 2 by DeanoMD

He was forced into making the changes, nothing else he could really do.

We just don't have a decent squad at all, it's been poor for some time, probably at an all time low at the moment and with the now ever growing list of injuries once again we appear to have indeed come full circle.

Relegation can't come soon enough as it will finally end this miserable charade.

He was really not forced to replace Dixon-Bonnar with Adomah in centre midfield.
Poor substitutions on 19:16 - Jan 2 with 2616 viewslassel

Yes the Adomah one was baffling at the time and constituted a large part to us losing the game as Cardiff suddenly could - and did - drive the team bus through the gaping hole left in the middle of the park by a guy who physically could not track runners and the inevitable overload led to us conceding the corner(s) that they scored from.

The sub got doubly bad as Marti then had to move him to RM to get him away from the trouble and we lost Smyth as an outlet as a result.

I have some sympathy though, I’m sure Marti is under enormous pressure from above to get Adomah on the pitch as he’s earning comfortably more than the UK average annual salary every month out of the club.

Sometimes you do have to take your medicine.
Poor substitutions on 19:23 - Jan 2 with 2561 viewsstainrods_elbow

Poor substitutions on 16:15 - Jan 2 by ParkRoyalR

Larkeche I thought was very good for first 15-20 minutes and not sure why he was less effective for remainder of 1st Half.

Kolli proved to be a good substitution by the Manager as undoubtedly more forward-minded, but converse to your point about getting over-excited (we do, we're desperate) but we're also in danger of prematurely writing of Larkeche in this role, on basis he was reliant on how Paal and Dozzell performed and quality of ball he was receiving from these two, particularly Dozzell.

In absence of Chair, still believe he's a very good option to start on the left, but maybe in Dozzell's position with Smyth or Kolli wide left.

I'd go along with that, and, let's face it, we need to grasp any straws we can. If Chair, Willock, Cook, Kolli and (kill me now) Colback are all out for some or all of the January games, or playing through injuries, however, we might as well relegate ourselves now.
[Post edited 2 Jan 19:26]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Poor substitutions on 20:04 - Jan 2 with 2486 viewsBostonR

Poor substitutions on 16:05 - Jan 2 by robith

A lot of these players have done in 4 managers now, what's one more

We need Marti to stay - feck that useless bunch of wasters dressing up as footballers. Having said that he looked shell-shocked in the post match interview. I got the feeling some players were deliberately baiting him with their performances.
Poor substitutions on 20:15 - Jan 2 with 2445 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

100%. hard to see a way out too

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

Poor substitutions on 22:13 - Jan 2 with 2317 viewsderbyhoop

1 thing puzzling me is Drewe on the bench.
We have Cannon & Kakay for RB.
We have Paal & Larkeche on left..
If he needs another defender on the bench why not 1 of the Dev Squad?
Woodman & Rendall have got back to fitness. Hawkins and Harrack have played most DS games.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Poor substitutions on 22:41 - Jan 2 with 2251 viewsbaz_qpr

I think Marti knew straight away that Adomah was a mistake, but the guys been here 12 games and Albert injured for 10 of them, he could have thrown Peddar to the wolves or used Armstrong earlier and changed shape. Clearly it was never his attention to move Smyth the idea would have been for Albert to be Smyth's backward pass to whip in a cross for Kolli who is an excellent header of the ball to ghost in like Smyth had done. Sadly Albert was so far of the pace both defensively and attacking but he had no choice but to move him unless he was going to sub him off again. Kolli's injury forced his hand
Poor substitutions on 08:54 - Jan 3 with 2039 viewsNed_Kennedys

Poor substitutions on 22:41 - Jan 2 by baz_qpr

I think Marti knew straight away that Adomah was a mistake, but the guys been here 12 games and Albert injured for 10 of them, he could have thrown Peddar to the wolves or used Armstrong earlier and changed shape. Clearly it was never his attention to move Smyth the idea would have been for Albert to be Smyth's backward pass to whip in a cross for Kolli who is an excellent header of the ball to ghost in like Smyth had done. Sadly Albert was so far of the pace both defensively and attacking but he had no choice but to move him unless he was going to sub him off again. Kolli's injury forced his hand

Felt it was Albert who was thrown to the wolves: the guy has spent his whole career on the right so what did anyone expect from the guy being put in the middle?
The midfield three were poor and creating nothing so the attacking move should’ve been to replace one and gone with Armstrong up front and left Smyth on the right for the whole game where he was doing well.
Poor substitutions on 09:12 - Jan 3 with 2014 viewsTheChef

Poor substitutions on 22:13 - Jan 2 by derbyhoop

1 thing puzzling me is Drewe on the bench.
We have Cannon & Kakay for RB.
We have Paal & Larkeche on left..
If he needs another defender on the bench why not 1 of the Dev Squad?
Woodman & Rendall have got back to fitness. Hawkins and Harrack have played most DS games.

Well with Kakay at AFCON Drewe will probably get a few appearances, unless Cannon is suddenly fit enough to play every game.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024