Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench 22:26 - Apr 19 with 9840 viewsFDC

Properly mental if he doesn't play between now and League 1...

I was telling everyone he was the best player in Championship six months ago. I'm not convinced Willock, nor Jesus Christ his Saviour, could be a bad influence on the team, so it has to be a "tactical decision", and I can't actually see any tactics on the pitch.

The strategy for QPR scoring a goal currently is not to have any shape or training ground routines, but "let's hope Amos has a run through on goal, bouncing the ball off defenders and nearly poking it into the goal".

I would definitely back Willock to fluke a goal over anyone else in the squad, and fluking a goal is the best hope we currently have.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:33 - Apr 19 with 2331 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:31 - Apr 19 by distortR

In you, the force is strong!

Farce*
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:39 - Apr 19 with 2266 viewsNed_Kennedys

Have you not been watching Willock for the last 6 months? He’s been below bang average and has shown nothing of his early season form.
Looking through rose tinted glasses it would be smashing to have Illy and Willy bidding it out there but those days were a long time ago. Apart from the cross for the goal Chair was poor again tonight.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:44 - Apr 19 with 2234 viewsdistortR

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:39 - Apr 19 by Ned_Kennedys

Have you not been watching Willock for the last 6 months? He’s been below bang average and has shown nothing of his early season form.
Looking through rose tinted glasses it would be smashing to have Illy and Willy bidding it out there but those days were a long time ago. Apart from the cross for the goal Chair was poor again tonight.

I don't think we can accuse Chair of not giving one, though.
Chair is at his best when he has someone similar to play with - little give and goes, etc. He's essentially being used as a winger now, which isn't his game, but 2 assists in the last 3 games isn't bad, either. But he can be so much more*

*Christ knows whats happening with his dead ball delivery's, though. For such a technically adept player, they are awful.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:48 - Apr 19 with 2199 viewsnumptydumpty

Chair and Willock play better when they both in the team.

Under Ainsworth, Chair is a one trick pony and Willock will not get another minute on the pitch.

In game management from Ainsworth today was desperately poor.

Taking off Tim who was one of our better most creative players. He is not our player. We needed a one. Its his first game back but we had to win and he was doing well
If he was taken off for data science reasons so he doesn't get injured then I despair. But Richards coming on in 86th Minute.

What's the point

I think today that game was there for the taking but it was very poor from Ainsworth in the second half. Baffling decisions. Not many were that bothered around me. I could not get my head around the formation and the subs.

Win away on Saturday then to spoil the party !!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:50 - Apr 19 with 2175 viewsted_hendrix

Lot of hearsay going on here about players.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:51 - Apr 19 with 2158 viewsted_hendrix

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:26 - Apr 19 by 100percent

Also.....
what was the point of putting Richards on after 86 mins?

He should have started, he should always start.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:54 - Apr 19 with 2146 viewsdistortR

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:48 - Apr 19 by numptydumpty

Chair and Willock play better when they both in the team.

Under Ainsworth, Chair is a one trick pony and Willock will not get another minute on the pitch.

In game management from Ainsworth today was desperately poor.

Taking off Tim who was one of our better most creative players. He is not our player. We needed a one. Its his first game back but we had to win and he was doing well
If he was taken off for data science reasons so he doesn't get injured then I despair. But Richards coming on in 86th Minute.

What's the point

I think today that game was there for the taking but it was very poor from Ainsworth in the second half. Baffling decisions. Not many were that bothered around me. I could not get my head around the formation and the subs.

Win away on Saturday then to spoil the party !!!!

Iroegbanum ALWAYS fades from the 60th minute onwards. he's 19, a professional footballer, and I just don't get it.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:56 - Apr 19 with 2115 viewsjoe90

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:50 - Apr 19 by ted_hendrix

Lot of hearsay going on here about players.

Everything on here is hearsay!
Login to get fewer ads

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 00:22 - Apr 20 with 2034 viewsnumptydumpty

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:54 - Apr 19 by distortR

Iroegbanum ALWAYS fades from the 60th minute onwards. he's 19, a professional footballer, and I just don't get it.

Would not know that he fades after 60 minutes.

He got taken off around that time.

He is clearly a very decent player and yes being 19 he is still learning but he has that something that others don't in that he can create something out of nothing that nearly all our other players this season, simply do not have that at all in their locker !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 00:48 - Apr 20 with 1962 viewsPunteR

Agree with FDC(Welcome back). Willock has been one of our best players since Eze. A massive asset to us on the pitch and also in the transfer market . Yes its 2 Bob if you have his dad trying to out muscle QPR in the negotiations. Its clearly a problem at the club. Just a shambles at QPR atm.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 01:01 - Apr 20 with 1951 viewsQPR_Jim

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:15 - Apr 19 by paulhoop2

Not widely reported but there has been a bust up between then willock unhappy with criticism so stormed off training pitch. Heard a few rumours

He needs to get over himself then, he was poor on Saturday and gifted the ball to Coventry for their second and lost us any chance of getting back into the game. He should be embarrassed, not kicking off about criticism.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 01:20 - Apr 20 with 1922 views1JD

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 23:25 - Apr 19 by Hunterhoop

Doesn’t matter how good or talented you are/can be, if you don’t work hard, you shouldn’t play. Can’t be picking players who aren’t trying.

That doesn’t mean grunt over flair, passion over tactics, or anything like that. But you have to try. If he’s also shown insubordination off the pitch, even more reason why you can’t play him. As many clubs have shown many times over the years, you cannot allow players to act badly and be rewarded. The manager has to maintain the power. This isn’t a short term thing; it has long term impacts. Look at Utd, as soon as the club backed the players over Moyes, from then on, for 7 years, Utd had a problem with work-rate and discipline. As soon as the new fella was backed over Ronaldo, everything has picked up. Many many more examples.

I wish Willock was up for it and keen and willing to commit. Then he should definitely play.

I suspect his Dad is the real one who is hoping the club don’t extend the contact….and if we do, I suspect he’ll be injured a lot of next season…

The manager has to maintain power? I believe he lost whatever power he had with his catastrophic error of judgment playing “his way”, rather than understanding and playing to the tools and resources he had at his disposal.

He is then is on record as having listened to the players, but still insists on his own principles as per his interviews - channel balls, up “n” unders, hooks, and bang it long early. The result? A Frankenstein playing style. It’s a total mess.

For me true leadership is not about power but earning the respect of players and colleagues. He has failed in that regard. He seems to want to rule more with an iron fist - his way or the high way.

Not only does it not work in todays world, but I’ll wager he’ll be alienating the squad even further. Take for example Ilias chair, best buddies with Chris Willock. I’ve got no doubt words have been had behind the scenes. And not in a good way.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 05:54 - Apr 20 with 1798 viewsbongo_king

One year ago we were discussing who's better, him or Eze. How much? 10m? 20m? Now he warms the bench as we sink towards L1 with barely a whimper.

As Kevin Gallen said on the WL pod, good managers find a way of getting their best players to fire as it benefits the whole team. Adel and Warnock is the classic example. Sure, Willock is not a Sean Derry workhorse but I think we can agree his workrate is many times that of the 2009/10 Adel. I bet Willock will still go on to have a good top half Champ-lower prem career if he goes end of the season, albeit maybe injury blighted.

This, along with the rumoured fall out with the club captain does raise questions about GA's man management and flexibility. At Wycombe he control over everything so the whole club was moulded in the vision of GA - who strikes me a bit as a man with a hammer in his MO. Will he be allowed to do the same here (particularly if we have a DoF) and indeed do we want that for our club?
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 06:22 - Apr 20 with 1760 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

I cant watch this style of football, its just awful. I realise needs must, but I have a horrible feeling this is what we'll see under Ainsworth going forward regardless of which league we're in.

If the alleged fallout between him and a few of the 1st teamers is true that is unforgivable. A good manager gets the players to go with him, some need an arm around them, others a rant at, but you need to find a way.

I cant see us staying up.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 06:45 - Apr 20 with 1707 viewsdixiedean

Has the present incarnation of Willock done anything in the (admittedly few) minutes he’s had to suggest he’s going to pull a game out of the fire ? Until he gets his body and mind sorted out he’s not a championship footballer and is only on the bench because there’s nobody else. True he was once a prize asset but his career is sadly in decline on current form.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 07:04 - Apr 20 with 1663 viewsHunterhoop

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 01:20 - Apr 20 by 1JD

The manager has to maintain power? I believe he lost whatever power he had with his catastrophic error of judgment playing “his way”, rather than understanding and playing to the tools and resources he had at his disposal.

He is then is on record as having listened to the players, but still insists on his own principles as per his interviews - channel balls, up “n” unders, hooks, and bang it long early. The result? A Frankenstein playing style. It’s a total mess.

For me true leadership is not about power but earning the respect of players and colleagues. He has failed in that regard. He seems to want to rule more with an iron fist - his way or the high way.

Not only does it not work in todays world, but I’ll wager he’ll be alienating the squad even further. Take for example Ilias chair, best buddies with Chris Willock. I’ve got no doubt words have been had behind the scenes. And not in a good way.

I simply meant if it’s a choice between player power or manager power at any club, it has to rest with the manager. It’s the case at all successful clubs. To select a player who has openly been insubordinate or isn’t trying will send completely the wrong message to the rest of the squad. It is highly likely to cause a greater loss of respect than standing firm on the core requirements of individuals.

I’ve read up a little about leadership in my time. Heck, I’ve led some large teams too. I fully believe in healthy challenge in any team, and Willock should be allowed to challenge. They all should. By the sounds of it, there was healthy debate in that 11hr team meeting before WBA. But after that, whatever the decision taken is, he needs to commit to it. Willock didn’t play in that game, did he?

I don’t think Ainsworth came in with the big “I am”. He deliberately was very supportive of the players and publicly backed them. He’s tried to build relationships in the right way, but accountability is another critical part of a functional, successful team (in any walk of live). He has to ensure accountability. If Willock (and co.) can’t hack that and won’t take accountability, then, again, they can’t play.

Steve Jobs’ old quote rings true to me: “better to have a hole than an asshole”.

Second to all this theory…Willock has also been rubbish since he returned from from his hammy after the World Cup. He’s barely got up past a job, created next to nothing, and has repeatedly gifted teams the ball for them to counter. He’s shown very little since then to say he would make any difference. It’s not the Willock of early season we have a choice about playing sadly.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2023 7:15]
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 07:16 - Apr 20 with 1634 viewsPetros

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 05:54 - Apr 20 by bongo_king

One year ago we were discussing who's better, him or Eze. How much? 10m? 20m? Now he warms the bench as we sink towards L1 with barely a whimper.

As Kevin Gallen said on the WL pod, good managers find a way of getting their best players to fire as it benefits the whole team. Adel and Warnock is the classic example. Sure, Willock is not a Sean Derry workhorse but I think we can agree his workrate is many times that of the 2009/10 Adel. I bet Willock will still go on to have a good top half Champ-lower prem career if he goes end of the season, albeit maybe injury blighted.

This, along with the rumoured fall out with the club captain does raise questions about GA's man management and flexibility. At Wycombe he control over everything so the whole club was moulded in the vision of GA - who strikes me a bit as a man with a hammer in his MO. Will he be allowed to do the same here (particularly if we have a DoF) and indeed do we want that for our club?

Agree with your general points but I always thought Adel was a pretty hard-working player - he didn't work to get the ball back but his movement off the ball when we had possession was superb.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 07:26 - Apr 20 with 1603 viewsgazza1

Has Willock being 'doing it' recently......he was key to us conceding the 2nd (& killer) goal on Saturday so why pick someone who is not playing well? It does not look good to other plyers either if he is chosen and has not played well for some months.

He has gone backwards (like he was when he arrived at the club basically)and would struggle to get into a top Championship side atm.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 08:45 - Apr 20 with 1467 viewsR_from_afar

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 07:04 - Apr 20 by Hunterhoop

I simply meant if it’s a choice between player power or manager power at any club, it has to rest with the manager. It’s the case at all successful clubs. To select a player who has openly been insubordinate or isn’t trying will send completely the wrong message to the rest of the squad. It is highly likely to cause a greater loss of respect than standing firm on the core requirements of individuals.

I’ve read up a little about leadership in my time. Heck, I’ve led some large teams too. I fully believe in healthy challenge in any team, and Willock should be allowed to challenge. They all should. By the sounds of it, there was healthy debate in that 11hr team meeting before WBA. But after that, whatever the decision taken is, he needs to commit to it. Willock didn’t play in that game, did he?

I don’t think Ainsworth came in with the big “I am”. He deliberately was very supportive of the players and publicly backed them. He’s tried to build relationships in the right way, but accountability is another critical part of a functional, successful team (in any walk of live). He has to ensure accountability. If Willock (and co.) can’t hack that and won’t take accountability, then, again, they can’t play.

Steve Jobs’ old quote rings true to me: “better to have a hole than an asshole”.

Second to all this theory…Willock has also been rubbish since he returned from from his hammy after the World Cup. He’s barely got up past a job, created next to nothing, and has repeatedly gifted teams the ball for them to counter. He’s shown very little since then to say he would make any difference. It’s not the Willock of early season we have a choice about playing sadly.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2023 7:15]

Great post.

I'd love to see Willock play like he did at the start of the season but it is a long time since he did something which changed a game in a positive way. More's the pity...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 08:50 - Apr 20 with 1454 viewsBAWHoops

But Willock has been awful or injured since October.
Started the season on fire and then has been absolutely useless.

Rushed back from injury by Beale at the start of the season and then again in November. Had the World Cup break to get back fit and firing and has promptly stunk the place out ever since.

I wouldn't start him personally. Hasn't scored or assisted in ages and if he's not doing that he offers little else (unlike say Dykes who puts himself about)

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 09:03 - Apr 20 with 1407 viewstraininvain

Willock has been poor since September/October but surely it’s the manager’s job to turn this around and get him playing well again. Look at the way Warburton and Beale (spit) improved Willock and others in the squad.

The same applies to Dickie, Dunne, Dieng, Paal etc. They’ve all gone backwards and at some point the manager has to take some of the blame.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 09:07 - Apr 20 with 1386 viewsJordanFoster

Think it's very easy to look at things so black & white, we've all seen Ainsworth's pre and post match comments. The guys is absolutely desperate, he's a broken man that's gone from saying "Trust me, I can keep us up, trust me" to "not the end of the world if we go down" with picking the 'least fragile".

If Willock was showing any type of willing, a player of his ability, he'd be in the team. He needs anything he can get. He's currently playing with Aaron Drewe ffs.

We aren't privvy to what goes on in training, or what has been happening behind the scenes. We have an extension on him which we are yet to extend right - why?

My dates could be off here, but playing Devil's advocate didn't Willock play last year whilst clearly injured and suffering with hamstring injuries, taking painkillers to get through games when everyone could see he wasn't at 100%? Then he blew it at Boro away or somewhere.

The other thing to consider, Ainsworth went from calling Chair and Willock his superstars to now not playing one of them. He knows the guy has ability but there has to be something behind the scenes that we aren't privy to. Remember Chris Martin argued that some might not be living the most professional lifestyles away from the pitch?

I'd imagine there's more to it than we're seeing.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 09:15 - Apr 20 with 1313 viewsQPunkR

Those calling on Willock to come on the pitch and save our season clearly have not been watching him this year. He has been worse than useless when he's played. Expecting him to come on and actually do anything positive is just hoping against hope.
I realise we're all desperate, but 2023 Willock is not the answer to any question we're being asked

QPR - "shit but local"

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 09:21 - Apr 20 with 1278 viewsQPROslo

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 00:22 - Apr 20 by numptydumpty

Would not know that he fades after 60 minutes.

He got taken off around that time.

He is clearly a very decent player and yes being 19 he is still learning but he has that something that others don't in that he can create something out of nothing that nearly all our other players this season, simply do not have that at all in their locker !!!

Tim was pretty good 1st half but faded a 2nd, no doubt because he's been out with an Injury for a month, and subbed correctly I thought. But that was the only substitution that made much sense to me. The main attacking element seemed to be to balloon balls up in the approximate direction of Dykes and Martin which clearly wasn't working. The goal came from a good pass by Chair to a moving in the box Dykes. Martin wasn't moving much at all and surely should have been subbed a lot earlier for Richards or Willock. Laird would surely have provided more threat down the right than Drewe and Albert managed combined and would have defended at least as well as Drewe.
Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 09:29 - Apr 20 with 1246 viewsARudd

Getting relegated with Willock on the bench on 09:03 - Apr 20 by traininvain

Willock has been poor since September/October but surely it’s the manager’s job to turn this around and get him playing well again. Look at the way Warburton and Beale (spit) improved Willock and others in the squad.

The same applies to Dickie, Dunne, Dieng, Paal etc. They’ve all gone backwards and at some point the manager has to take some of the blame.

Which Manager? We’ve tried 4 and the result has been the same, so either Warburton, Beale, Critchley and Ainsworth are all rubbish (and previous performances would suggest not) or there is something deeply wrong with what has been (despite injuries) a pretty constant group of players throughout their times in charge….
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024