Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City 12:46 - Feb 12 with 13461 viewsmagicdaps10

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:24 - Feb 15 with 652 viewsDr_Parnassus

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:09 - Feb 15 by jack247

If they aren’t capable of producing a decent Championship side without having to sell someone for £8m every season just to cover bases, then no, they won’t be doing enough.

That’s football, we don’t have a big income I’m afraid.

If you want a side capable of challenging for promotion then we are either going to have to sell players or they are going to have to cover the shortfall.

If we didn’t sell Trundle, Scotland, OTJ - then we wouldn’t have been able to afford the players we did to get us up the leagues.

Same goes for when we were in the Premier League, Allen, Sinclair, Graham, Davies, Bony, Ayew, Pablo etc etc

They all had to be sold for the club to regenerate players and remain competitive.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:26 - Feb 15 with 652 viewsDr_Parnassus

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:20 - Feb 15 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

We absolutely should be a selling club. Flynnidine is the perfect example of the sort of deals we should be going for year in year out. Talented young player languishing in the lower leagues, may be a bit unsettled and looking for a chance. Get him in give him a chance and sell him on for big money.

Look at the last time we did well at this level. Our whole team was essentially free or low cost transfers. Ash plucked from non league, Rangel from some random village team in Spain, Taylor from Wrexham. Tate and Britton free. De Vries free. The only sizeable transfers at the time were probably Scott Sinclair and Craig Beattie and that was nothing compared to what we paid for Piroe etc.

The players are out there, we just don’t seem to look for them any more.

Correct.

Selling every season is a perfect vessel to try and create a false economy and get an advantage or keep up with clubs that risk their future by spending.

I was hoping Harry Darling may be a “just passing through” type player, allowing us to spend a bit next season. But Martin doesn’t seem to be developing him very well.

It may need to be Piroe.

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:43 - Feb 15 with 647 viewsjack247

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:24 - Feb 15 by Dr_Parnassus

If you want a side capable of challenging for promotion then we are either going to have to sell players or they are going to have to cover the shortfall.

If we didn’t sell Trundle, Scotland, OTJ - then we wouldn’t have been able to afford the players we did to get us up the leagues.

Same goes for when we were in the Premier League, Allen, Sinclair, Graham, Davies, Bony, Ayew, Pablo etc etc

They all had to be sold for the club to regenerate players and remain competitive.

That’s exactly the point. There’s a hierarchy and every team bar the very elite have to sell players.

We sold Trundle for what was incredible money for a league one. Same goes for the likes of Allen, Sigurddson, Bony at PL level.

Absolutely nothing wrong with selling players and reinvesting into the squad when you get an offer you can’t turn down. That is not the same as selling Trundle or Bony to cover running costs.

Do you think next seasons squad will be stronger or weaker than it is now?
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:49 - Feb 15 with 630 viewsDr_Parnassus

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:43 - Feb 15 by jack247

That’s exactly the point. There’s a hierarchy and every team bar the very elite have to sell players.

We sold Trundle for what was incredible money for a league one. Same goes for the likes of Allen, Sigurddson, Bony at PL level.

Absolutely nothing wrong with selling players and reinvesting into the squad when you get an offer you can’t turn down. That is not the same as selling Trundle or Bony to cover running costs.

Do you think next seasons squad will be stronger or weaker than it is now?

I don’t understand the point you are making then.

You are saying every team has to sell, but if we sell then they aren’t doing enough?

I don’t know if we will have a stronger or weaker team, depends who is sold and who is brought in.

If we sell Piroe for £15m and bring in another Piroe for £1m and a new right back and keeper for £2m each, putting £10m into running costs… will we have a stronger or weaker squad?

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:01 - Feb 15 with 638 viewsjack247

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:49 - Feb 15 by Dr_Parnassus

You are saying every team has to sell, but if we sell then they aren’t doing enough?

I don’t know if we will have a stronger or weaker team, depends who is sold and who is brought in.

If we sell Piroe for £15m and bring in another Piroe for £1m and a new right back and keeper for £2m each, putting £10m into running costs… will we have a stronger or weaker squad?

Stronger. But we won’t do that.

You can sell a star player and replace him with a rough diamond every now and then. It can’t be a business model.

You understand exactly what I’m saying. Selling Gylfi for £45m or Bony for £30m makes sense to virtually every team outside the elite. Letting Connor Roberts run his contract down and selling for £2.5m doesn’t.
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:05 - Feb 15 with 621 viewsDr_Parnassus

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:01 - Feb 15 by jack247

You can sell a star player and replace him with a rough diamond every now and then. It can’t be a business model.

You understand exactly what I’m saying. Selling Gylfi for £45m or Bony for £30m makes sense to virtually every team outside the elite. Letting Connor Roberts run his contract down and selling for £2.5m doesn’t.

How do you know what we will or won’t do?

It’s exactly the business model we should be adopting. Picking one player who ran is contract down and pretending that is the rule rather than the exception is just silly.

Selling to reinvest and pay bills is something we have done for the last 20 years spanning our most successful era in our history.

To pretend that is somehow bad practice just isn’t true.

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:08 - Feb 15 with 623 viewsjack247

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:05 - Feb 15 by Dr_Parnassus

How do you know what we will or won’t do?

It’s exactly the business model we should be adopting. Picking one player who ran is contract down and pretending that is the rule rather than the exception is just silly.

Selling to reinvest and pay bills is something we have done for the last 20 years spanning our most successful era in our history.

To pretend that is somehow bad practice just isn’t true.

Happy to put money on us not spending £4m on a goalkeeper and a right back in the summer.
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:12 - Feb 15 with 596 viewsDr_Parnassus

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:08 - Feb 15 by jack247

Happy to put money on us not spending £4m on a goalkeeper and a right back in the summer.

I am not saying we will spend those exact amounts. It could be £500k and £1.2m. It could be £700k and £1m. It could be two class free transfers.

The point being you can spend less than you receive and your team improves. Hence why net spend is a fallacy.

We sold Jamal Lowe, and bought Flynn Downes for exactly the same price.

We lost Celina, and bought Piroe for a third of the price.

Login to get fewer ads

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:25 - Feb 15 with 596 viewsjack247

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:12 - Feb 15 by Dr_Parnassus

I am not saying we will spend those exact amounts. It could be £500k and £1.2m. It could be £700k and £1m. It could be two class free transfers.

The point being you can spend less than you receive and your team improves. Hence why net spend is a fallacy.

We sold Jamal Lowe, and bought Flynn Downes for exactly the same price.

We lost Celina, and bought Piroe for a third of the price.

Yes of course. I understand that point and agree with it.

However you can’t do that consistently and simultaneously improve the squad. Net spend is never going to be an exact science, but it’s a fairly decent rule of thumb.
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:33 - Feb 15 with 587 viewswhiterock

Just remember the figures quoted for Ronato Sanches was £7m loan fee, which, I assume included his wages? We all thought it was a bit of a coup when the deal was done, soon changed our minds, but whilst that was excessive, most loan deals cost us.
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:14 - Feb 15 with 555 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 11:42 - Feb 15 by BryanSwan

Is there anyone that confirm this assertion that Guehi, Woodman, Wilmot, Gallagher, Gibbs-White, Gyokores, Surridge and Hourihane were all free?

I'd think there is a fair few million in expenditure for that list.

Keith - one for you ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:23 - Feb 15 with 546 viewsKeithHaynes

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:14 - Feb 15 by STID2017

Keith - one for you ?

They were loans ?
We are talking about a loan fee ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:24 - Feb 15 with 543 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:24 - Feb 15 by Dr_Parnassus

Think Sinclair and Graham may have been the exception there.
Helen didn't like living in Cilfrew ( although she liked the people she missed the bright lights of Manchester) so Scott had to go.
In Graham's case, believe he had off field issues sadly, which led to him leaving

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:30 - Feb 15 with 536 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 12:49 - Feb 15 by Dr_Parnassus

Clearly Jack247 is saying if we sold Piroe for £15 million, then that £15 million should be used to sign three or four players to strengthen the team.
The correct model used by the owners would see £5 million spent on players and the rest used to pay running costs.
No one minds us buying cheap then selling on for a profit.
It is when only a small portion is used to strengthen the team that fans get disillusioned with the owners

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:32 - Feb 15 with 533 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 13:01 - Feb 15 by jack247

Good post and makes perfect sense 247

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:36 - Feb 15 with 526 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:23 - Feb 15 by KeithHaynes

They were loans ?
We are talking about a loan fee ?

"Is there anyone that confirm this assertion that Guehi, Woodman, Wilmot, Gallagher, Gibbs-White, Gyokores, Surridge and Hourihane were all free?"
Bryan is asking (assuming they were all loans) how much we paid in loan fees and penalties etc for each of these players.
I am sure, like he is, that they were not free loans ?

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:43 - Feb 15 with 519 viewsWhiterockin

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:36 - Feb 15 by STID2017

"Is there anyone that confirm this assertion that Guehi, Woodman, Wilmot, Gallagher, Gibbs-White, Gyokores, Surridge and Hourihane were all free?"
Bryan is asking (assuming they were all loans) how much we paid in loan fees and penalties etc for each of these players.

I think we were paying all of Hourihanes £20K a week wages.
Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:50 - Feb 15 with 496 viewsKeithHaynes

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:36 - Feb 15 by STID2017

Def not free loans, that much I do know.

The penalty thing I think is something we wouldn’t have signed up for.

Normally, like Wolf we like to pay a fee only, but things aren’t always the same. Especially as some were under Cooper.

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:55 - Feb 15 with 492 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:50 - Feb 15 by KeithHaynes

Def not free loans, that much I do know.

The penalty thing I think is something we wouldn’t have signed up for.

Normally, like Wolf we like to pay a fee only, but things aren’t always the same. Especially as some were under Cooper.

I was sure that was the case.
Why would EPL clubs do anything out of the goodness of their hearts ?

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:05 - Feb 15 with 484 viewsvetchonian

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:30 - Feb 15 by STID2017

Clearly Jack247 is saying if we sold Piroe for £15 million, then that £15 million should be used to sign three or four players to strengthen the team.
The correct model used by the owners would see £5 million spent on players and the rest used to pay running costs.
It is when only a small portion is used to strengthen the team that fans get disillusioned with the owners

So you dont count the signings of Darling , Fisher and Wood strengthening the team?
Alongisde this you had the costs of signing Joe Allen.
Then the season long loan of Sorinola plus the costs for Oxo Flex Finn Stevens and Cundle who would obviously not come free as there is no such thing as a free loan!

So when you add all that up I doubt if there was a huge surplus from the Downes sale and dont forget there was probably a sell on fee due to Ipswich too.

I would have thought a fair chunk of the profit of that transaction has been swallowed up by the transfers above!

People forget that we benefited on our rise from compensation fees received for Martinez and his staff as well as for Brendan...
DOnt forget the owners have also stumped up a CLN to the tune of £16M as well to keep the lights on....
SO with no major outgoing this window where were the funds coming from to shell out?

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:15 - Feb 15 with 470 viewsSTID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:05 - Feb 15 by vetchonian

So you dont count the signings of Darling , Fisher and Wood strengthening the team?
Then the season long loan of Sorinola plus the costs for Oxo Flex Finn Stevens and Cundle who would obviously not come free as there is no such thing as a free loan!

So when you add all that up I doubt if there was a huge surplus from the Downes sale and dont forget there was probably a sell on fee due to Ipswich too.

I would have thought a fair chunk of the profit of that transaction has been swallowed up by the transfers above!

People forget that we benefited on our rise from compensation fees received for Martinez and his staff as well as for Brendan...
DOnt forget the owners have also stumped up a CLN to the tune of £16M as well to keep the lights on....
SO with no major outgoing this window where were the funds coming from to shell out?

Did we have a CLN for £16 million ?
Someone should have mentioned that before mun

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:17 - Feb 15 with 470 viewsvetchonian

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 16:30 - Feb 15 by STID2017

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:18 - Feb 15 with 469 viewsvetchonian

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:17 - Feb 15 by vetchonian

I have to stop repeating myself!!!
Senior moment

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:19 - Feb 15 with 467 viewsvetchonian

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:15 - Feb 15 by STID2017

Did we have a CLN for £16 million ?
Someone should have mentioned that before mun

I think Resolven has mentioned it once or twice

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:20 - Feb 15 with 466 viewsKeithHaynes

Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City on 17:05 - Feb 15 by vetchonian

Fisher was signed before Downes.

Darling was definitely a straight fee of around 1.4 million, Allen had a signing on fee but it’s speculation. Believed to be around 250k plus 11k a week.

I can’t see flex and Stevens being much more than an agreed 5k a week or when added up a lump fee of the same.

Ipswich do have a sell on fee. I would say on speculation around one million.

Sorinola, god knows.

But again it won’t be huge.

Downes went for absolute millions. How much we got up front again is speculation but definitely 5 million plus initially.

We should also be aware that the playing staff has been drastically reduced, plus we won’t be paying Obafemi’s salary now.

I think the books are well balanced, and definitely not in the red.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024