Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to go? 13:56 - Apr 12 with 34102 viewsToffeemanc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61083402

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Time to go? on 20:16 - Apr 12 with 2384 viewsrich_dale

Time to go? on 20:06 - Apr 12 by D_Alien

As in, current opinion just isn't history

Well yes, call it a bit of artistic licence.
Time to go? on 20:29 - Apr 12 with 2344 viewsmikehunt

The first PM to have a criminal charge whilst in office? Probably because he didn’t have the police in his pocket as some may have had. (Not necessarily bribery but insofar as turning a blind eye)
I think this incident is crying out for the old punishment of pillorying and the stocks. After which let them get on with it.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Time to go? on 20:37 - Apr 12 with 2331 views49thseason

Time to go? on 18:57 - Apr 12 by 1949er

Inveterate liar go.!!!!!!!!!!!

You make it sound as though he is the first and only one. The Number of MPs , Advisors and Media people who broke the "rules" is enough to fill the Sandy Lane End. Is it just Boris you think should go or should we perhaps include .......

Labour MP for Aberavon Stephen Kinnock posted a photo of himself sitting outside his father’s home in London during a time when he should have stayed at his own home.

Labour MP Tahir Ali was criticised for attending a funeral along with a large group in April.

Labour MP MP Kevan Jones was criticised for attending a birthday party in his constituency in early May. Mr Jones claimed at the time that the police were aware of the gathering, as was the local mayor who reportedly helped organise the event

Welsh Labour Health Minister Vaughn Gething was pictured on 9 May eating chips on a park bench in breach of Welsh rules

Kate Josephs, the chief executive of Sheffield City Council, hosted leaving drinks in December 2020 to toast the end of her previous job leading the government’s Covid Taskforce.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer who was cleared of an allegation he broke lockdown rules after he was filmed drinking a beer in an office. Sir Keir was in the City of Durham MP’s office, working in the run-up to the Hartlepool by-election in April 2021.

And who could forget Robert Jenrick (C)
The Housing, Communities and Local Government Secretary was forced to explain himself in April after travelling for more than an hour to visit his parents, despite warning people to remain at home.Mr Jenrick was also criticised for travelling 150 miles from his London property to his Herefordshire home, from where he travelled to his parents' home in Shropshire.

I am sure we all remember the Dominic Cummins affair and perhaps Dr Catherine Calderwood Scotland's chief medical officer who resigned in April 2020 after twice breaking lockdown restrictions in order to visit her second home, which was more than an hour away from her main residence in Edinburgh.

And then of course there was Nicola Sturgeon..The First Minister of Scotland also apologised for a breach of the "rules", telling the Scottish Parliament she had "no excuses" after being photographed in a bar not wearing a face covering. A picture published in the Scottish Sun in December 2020 showed Ms Sturgeon chatting to three women while standing at a distance but without wearing a mask.

its seems the SNP love making rules but not bothering with them much, remember Margaret Ferrier admitting she travelled back from London to Glasgow after testing positive for coronavirus? And what about Ian Blackford who travelled over 600 miles from London to his home in Skye three days after lockdown and then went into self-imposed isolation?

Of course most of the above were not subjected to the wailing and gnashing of teeth that Boris has had for what amounts to a parking fine. we know full well he is not big on careful consideration of his position and given to being rather overly "enthusiastic" but considering everything else that was going on around him, was a bit of R&R really such an evil thing to do?
Time to go? on 20:49 - Apr 12 with 2290 viewsmingthemerciless

If you can tolerate a PM who lies to parliament we might as well give up. Nothing he says can ever be believed in the future. The man is a serial liar.
Time to go? on 20:53 - Apr 12 with 2280 viewswatford_dale

Time to go? on 19:13 - Apr 12 by D_Alien

I fully understand your point about our local community coming together to protect the club and its values

Being PM during Brexit, Covid and a Russian invasion is on a rather different scale

Whatever principles might be at stake, i'll take a pragmatic view and in both the local and international sense our current leaders are, imo, on the right track

Brexit, Covid and Ukraine are the 3 events that have kept him as PM. Plus there is no internal challenge anymore since Sunak has gone into career buggering up mode since the Spring statement.

Throw in there the fact the labour leader offers no serious challenge and doesn't shred him in PMQ's means that he won't be going anywhere soon.
Time to go? on 20:58 - Apr 12 with 2271 viewsJumeirahDale

Time to go? on 20:07 - Apr 12 by finberty

Being signed up to the European Medicine Agency, as we once were, would have decreed otherwise.

You're just parroting stuff at this point, come on. Be specific. How would it have?
Time to go? on 21:03 - Apr 12 with 2245 views49thseason

Time to go? on 20:49 - Apr 12 by mingthemerciless

If you can tolerate a PM who lies to parliament we might as well give up. Nothing he says can ever be believed in the future. The man is a serial liar.

Shhh, now I am going to let you in on a secret.. They all are! Would you like me to remind you about the Expenses Scandal when Labour MPs were jailed? MPs struggle to lie straight in bed, the sense of power drives the crazy and of course paying them £80+K a year and an average of £156k in expenses is bound to make them think that they are more important than they really are and what won't they do to cling on to that salary and power? Frankly very little. Lying is very low down on their list of things they would do to keep their seats and keep the gravy train running. All of them are liars and much worse irrespective of party.
Time to go? on 21:04 - Apr 12 with 2244 viewsD_Alien

Time to go? on 20:53 - Apr 12 by watford_dale

Brexit, Covid and Ukraine are the 3 events that have kept him as PM. Plus there is no internal challenge anymore since Sunak has gone into career buggering up mode since the Spring statement.

Throw in there the fact the labour leader offers no serious challenge and doesn't shred him in PMQ's means that he won't be going anywhere soon.

Correct, there's no real leader-in-waiting on either side of the House

But tbf, those three events (all still ongoing, in effect) would've knocked the stuffing out of anyone else i can think of on the current scene and yet he's come through with a seeming ability to say "okay, bring on the rest"

I'd defy any one of his detractors to still be able to face the world rather than a padded cell in a mental health institution given what's he's dealt with. But they know best, apparently...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Time to go? on 21:11 - Apr 12 with 2227 viewsJames1980

I think this might be satire

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Time to go? on 21:18 - Apr 12 with 2204 views442Dale

Time to go? on 20:37 - Apr 12 by 49thseason

You make it sound as though he is the first and only one. The Number of MPs , Advisors and Media people who broke the "rules" is enough to fill the Sandy Lane End. Is it just Boris you think should go or should we perhaps include .......

Labour MP for Aberavon Stephen Kinnock posted a photo of himself sitting outside his father’s home in London during a time when he should have stayed at his own home.

Labour MP Tahir Ali was criticised for attending a funeral along with a large group in April.

Labour MP MP Kevan Jones was criticised for attending a birthday party in his constituency in early May. Mr Jones claimed at the time that the police were aware of the gathering, as was the local mayor who reportedly helped organise the event

Welsh Labour Health Minister Vaughn Gething was pictured on 9 May eating chips on a park bench in breach of Welsh rules

Kate Josephs, the chief executive of Sheffield City Council, hosted leaving drinks in December 2020 to toast the end of her previous job leading the government’s Covid Taskforce.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer who was cleared of an allegation he broke lockdown rules after he was filmed drinking a beer in an office. Sir Keir was in the City of Durham MP’s office, working in the run-up to the Hartlepool by-election in April 2021.

And who could forget Robert Jenrick (C)
The Housing, Communities and Local Government Secretary was forced to explain himself in April after travelling for more than an hour to visit his parents, despite warning people to remain at home.Mr Jenrick was also criticised for travelling 150 miles from his London property to his Herefordshire home, from where he travelled to his parents' home in Shropshire.

I am sure we all remember the Dominic Cummins affair and perhaps Dr Catherine Calderwood Scotland's chief medical officer who resigned in April 2020 after twice breaking lockdown restrictions in order to visit her second home, which was more than an hour away from her main residence in Edinburgh.

And then of course there was Nicola Sturgeon..The First Minister of Scotland also apologised for a breach of the "rules", telling the Scottish Parliament she had "no excuses" after being photographed in a bar not wearing a face covering. A picture published in the Scottish Sun in December 2020 showed Ms Sturgeon chatting to three women while standing at a distance but without wearing a mask.

its seems the SNP love making rules but not bothering with them much, remember Margaret Ferrier admitting she travelled back from London to Glasgow after testing positive for coronavirus? And what about Ian Blackford who travelled over 600 miles from London to his home in Skye three days after lockdown and then went into self-imposed isolation?

Of course most of the above were not subjected to the wailing and gnashing of teeth that Boris has had for what amounts to a parking fine. we know full well he is not big on careful consideration of his position and given to being rather overly "enthusiastic" but considering everything else that was going on around him, was a bit of R&R really such an evil thing to do?

Except others were fined thousands for that ‘parking fine’ and those who stuck to the law couldn’t attend funerals if a limit was reached.

There’s been a lot of revisionist history about just how tough those laws were two years ago and how the country followed them. But there’s no surprise about that either.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Time to go? on 21:28 - Apr 12 with 2170 viewsjonahwhereru

Time to go? on 19:00 - Apr 12 by D_Alien

Of course he is

He's interested in taking the UK forward because that'll put him to the fore from his own point of view. If he was only interested in money he could make much more by not being PM, but he's motivated by a very different type of selfishness

And that's a perfectly valid perspective to have

Being PM was his only shot of fulfilling his childhood ambition to be “king of the world”. He has twice been sacked as a journalist for lying. The role of London mayor was to big for him and while he got TFL 1.5bn in debt, his big idea was a flower bridge across the Thames.
I am no fan of Mrs T but she worked night and day to make sure see was across all her ministers briefs. Bojo can’t abide appearing before the chairs of the select committees because he is not a detail man and across his own policies.
He is not consistent, at one time calling for an amnesty for illegal immigrants, and when is in power pulling the race card with references to “pickaninny” . Basically a opportunist not a politician.
I could only see him earning more money outside of being PM by becoming a charcature of himself.
Ironically who would the Conservatives turn to. Ruth Davidson is by far the best they have, and had Bojo’s number for years, but she has turned her back. Tbh I have Ben Wallace as caretaker while they see a replacement.
Basically ATP called it right in his post.
Time to go? on 21:52 - Apr 12 with 2138 viewsChaffRAFC

Time to go? on 14:49 - Apr 12 by D_Alien

Hypocritical to be attending parties against the rules your government has set? Of course it is

I can also understand why many people may be personally offended if they've been compliant at the expense of their best interests

A resigning matter? Almost certainly not, and especially not now at a time of international crisis (although i'd still argue against it if it weren't)

Does he need to get a grip on what's taken place on his own turf? Definitely

Why do i support BJ? Because he's the only person in the political landscape with enough personality (for want of a better word) to take the UK forward

(I can hear the thoughts of "in that case we're f*cked" as i type!)

Except, we're not. Despite the economic headwinds, we remain on course to come out of the pandemic better placed that most other major economies, and with greater confidence

Of course, the mainstream media will be howling for his head, not least in proving them wrong over the EU

I'm certain that many will have different opinions!

Not a resigning matter?

He broke the law. He's the first sitting prime minister to ever be done for doing that. There are several other things that should have been a resignation matter (let the bodies pile high) for example but this, well it should be a sacking offence let alone a resignation.

Personality? Really? Does being a complete bumbling idiot who looks embarrassing every time he's snapped by photographers, mean he's full of personality? He's an embarrassment. Mr Blobby has personality but I wouldn't want him running the country, although it kind of feels like he is.

We're going through a cost of living crisis like I personally haven't seen before. And their actions make them complicit in it! They don't give a solitary shite about the poor or even the working class. This cost of living crisis is going to kill people. And not only do they not care, they're pretty much enjoying making it worse. Don't worry I guess, everyone can live off bags of pasta while wearing an extra two layers of clothes.

Boris Johnson is an egotistical narcissist who cares only about himself and will do whatever to make sure he comes out on top. Doesn't half sound like a former CEO we all rightly wanted rid of.

It absolutely sickens me to the core.

This post has been edited by an administrator

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Time to go? on 22:06 - Apr 12 with 2078 viewsD_Alien

Time to go? on 21:52 - Apr 12 by ChaffRAFC

Not a resigning matter?

He broke the law. He's the first sitting prime minister to ever be done for doing that. There are several other things that should have been a resignation matter (let the bodies pile high) for example but this, well it should be a sacking offence let alone a resignation.

Personality? Really? Does being a complete bumbling idiot who looks embarrassing every time he's snapped by photographers, mean he's full of personality? He's an embarrassment. Mr Blobby has personality but I wouldn't want him running the country, although it kind of feels like he is.

We're going through a cost of living crisis like I personally haven't seen before. And their actions make them complicit in it! They don't give a solitary shite about the poor or even the working class. This cost of living crisis is going to kill people. And not only do they not care, they're pretty much enjoying making it worse. Don't worry I guess, everyone can live off bags of pasta while wearing an extra two layers of clothes.

Boris Johnson is an egotistical narcissist who cares only about himself and will do whatever to make sure he comes out on top. Doesn't half sound like a former CEO we all rightly wanted rid of.

Yes, personality - as in able to ride out the storms of office plus the media onslaught, and come through not only intact but ready for more

That's why he was voted in as London mayor (twice) and PM

Thankfully, we live in a country where the critics can throw whatever they like at him (and tbf he really does deserve some of it!) but as posted a few minutes ago, what he's come through in the past 3 years would've pushed anyone else i can think of beyond their limits

I guess he'll cope with a few more insults

Time to go? on 22:06 - Apr 12 with 2076 viewsrich_dale

Time to go? on 21:04 - Apr 12 by D_Alien

Correct, there's no real leader-in-waiting on either side of the House

But tbf, those three events (all still ongoing, in effect) would've knocked the stuffing out of anyone else i can think of on the current scene and yet he's come through with a seeming ability to say "okay, bring on the rest"

I'd defy any one of his detractors to still be able to face the world rather than a padded cell in a mental health institution given what's he's dealt with. But they know best, apparently...

He's only still in power because he lacks the nobility to resign. Any decent politician found to have lied to Parliament and broken the law would step down.
Time to go? on 22:10 - Apr 12 with 2049 viewsmingthemerciless

Time to go? on 21:03 - Apr 12 by 49thseason

Shhh, now I am going to let you in on a secret.. They all are! Would you like me to remind you about the Expenses Scandal when Labour MPs were jailed? MPs struggle to lie straight in bed, the sense of power drives the crazy and of course paying them £80+K a year and an average of £156k in expenses is bound to make them think that they are more important than they really are and what won't they do to cling on to that salary and power? Frankly very little. Lying is very low down on their list of things they would do to keep their seats and keep the gravy train running. All of them are liars and much worse irrespective of party.

Not good enough, he needs to go.
Time to go? on 22:41 - Apr 12 with 1969 viewsstandale

Time to go? on 20:15 - Apr 12 by James1980

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-vaccine-brexit/

Fact check is a valuable resource

it is James, and here is Starmer clearly telling porkies about the recent budget,
https://fullfact.org/economy/labour-starmer-reeves-2620-cost-of-living/
Should he resign ?
Time to go? on 22:59 - Apr 12 with 1937 viewsstandale

Time to go? on 21:52 - Apr 12 by ChaffRAFC

Not a resigning matter?

for some one who seems to like to stick to rules, under the t&c’s of this forum , it says swearing is not allowed, but going off your avatar you can, one rule for one?
Time to go? on 23:46 - Apr 12 with 1873 viewsJames1980

Time to go? on 22:41 - Apr 12 by standale

it is James, and here is Starmer clearly telling porkies about the recent budget,
https://fullfact.org/economy/labour-starmer-reeves-2620-cost-of-living/
Should he resign ?

I don't believe that has anything to do with the claim regarding Brexit and vaccinations. Also I don't recall the Met sending Starmer a questionnaire as to why he exaggerated his figures or hearing he has been fined because of it

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Time to go? on 00:51 - Apr 13 with 1837 viewsSandyman

So, during lockdown, our family observed the rules, as preached by Johnson.
We missed two birthday celebrations for my grand-daughter, her 4th and 5th birthdays, to observe Johnson's rules.
We are now expected to be sympathetic that he had a surprise do, with cake, on his 56th birthday because he'd done a days work.
Had we broken the rules as a family, had parties, got caught and got fines as a result, I doubt similar sympathy would be heading our way.

Johnson's disclaimer is as unconvincing as a Bottomley presentation, and equally as disingenuous, driven by self-serving motives only.

An honourable man would resign. Johnson won't. That speaks volumes. He's been a habitual liar and hypocrite for years.

Let's take this quote from a Daily Telegraph article he wrote in 2007:

"All the evidence shows that we can help reduce population growth, and world poverty, by promoting literacy and female emancipation and access to birth control. Isn’t it time politicians stopped being so timid, and started talking about the real number one issue?"

https://www.boris-johnson.com/2007/10/25/global-population-control/#more-381

How many kids has he "reduced population growth" with? 8 , apparently.

Do as I say not as I do. Again. Unfit for office IMHO.

#UTDNFS
Time to go? on 07:20 - Apr 13 with 1707 viewsChaffRAFC

Time to go? on 22:59 - Apr 12 by standale

for some one who seems to like to stick to rules, under the t&c’s of this forum , it says swearing is not allowed, but going off your avatar you can, one rule for one?

Amended.

Anxiously await my £50 fine.

Johnson and his corrupt cronies didn't just break the rules, they broke the law while people weren't able to say goodbye to loved ones at funerals.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Time to go? on 07:39 - Apr 13 with 1684 viewsD_Alien

Time to go? on 00:51 - Apr 13 by Sandyman

So, during lockdown, our family observed the rules, as preached by Johnson.
We missed two birthday celebrations for my grand-daughter, her 4th and 5th birthdays, to observe Johnson's rules.
We are now expected to be sympathetic that he had a surprise do, with cake, on his 56th birthday because he'd done a days work.
Had we broken the rules as a family, had parties, got caught and got fines as a result, I doubt similar sympathy would be heading our way.

Johnson's disclaimer is as unconvincing as a Bottomley presentation, and equally as disingenuous, driven by self-serving motives only.

An honourable man would resign. Johnson won't. That speaks volumes. He's been a habitual liar and hypocrite for years.

Let's take this quote from a Daily Telegraph article he wrote in 2007:

"All the evidence shows that we can help reduce population growth, and world poverty, by promoting literacy and female emancipation and access to birth control. Isn’t it time politicians stopped being so timid, and started talking about the real number one issue?"

https://www.boris-johnson.com/2007/10/25/global-population-control/#more-381

How many kids has he "reduced population growth" with? 8 , apparently.

Do as I say not as I do. Again. Unfit for office IMHO.

#UTDNFS

Oh come on! I greatly respect your posts on all things Dale-related, but you're way off the mark with using that quote as a stick to beat him with

He's clearly referring to women's right to choose as and when they have children. Are you arguing against the rights of the women who've chosen to have his children? Is Carrie, for instance, subjugated and undereducated?

People seem to be falling over themselves in their fulminations and there are no valid comparisons to be made between a lower league official voted out by shareholders and someone voted into the highest public offices three times (so far). As one of the first on here to take issue with Bottomley, i find such comparisons faintly absurd, although i get why people think that way

I also get the anger over lockdown rules. I get the anger over perceived privilege. The careers of the vast majority of politicians end in failure, but Boris' isn't over yet, nor should it be. There's serious business to attend to, and his record in attending to it keeps him where he is

[Post edited 13 Apr 2022 7:46]

Time to go? on 09:54 - Apr 13 with 1579 viewsNorthernDale

Yes, Boris broke the rules and as been fined, but so as so many other MP's (and not been fined), even Starmer was caught having a drink with other MP's after a meeting (but the police said nothing wrong, would that have occurred if it was me and you?), Sturgeon was also caught breaking the rules, but she held on to her job. The only politician, I know of, who as not broken the rules is Drakeford and who would invite him for a drink or out to a party? How many of whose obey the rules and did not meet up with friends? I find the hypocrisy of the media shocking, was it not Beth Rigby and colleagues who were caught attending a meal, did they resign?

We all know that the political, media and Metropolitan elite have got it for Boris, for delivering the Brexit vote and getting through Parliament. There as been constant attacks since 2016 and to quote Lord Adonis 'get rid of Boris, get rid of Brexit'. Yes, Boris and Carrie (who for a PR consultant) have been silly to make so many errors of judgements that as allowed his enemies to go for them. Yes, he may have mislead or lied to the public, but name a politician who as not, Starmer and Labour, said we should join the European vaccination scheme and then said they did not, they demanded stricter lockdown rules and even wanted to be extended, yet the other week, said they opposed the lockdowns, what hypocrisy! Should they resign for lying? I saw a Poll this morning that showed that 67% of people said Boris should stay as PM, it is a pity that the elite do not listen to the people, because they have their own agenda.

I think Boris is safe for the time being, because who as the personalty in politics like him, Labour's Starmer has the leadership skills and management skills of a middle manager in the civil service, Gove is a safe pair of hands and so is Ben Wallace, but that is all you can say about them. So there is no one to challenge him in the Tory party and the modern labour party cannot be taken serious, with politicians like Rayner and seem more interested in partygate, inability to define a woman and woke issues, then serious issues impacting on the country. We need a government that is focused on dealing with the aftermath of the pandemic, rebuilding the economy, dealing with the cost of living crisis (which Sunak as failed to do, so far) and the war in the Ukraine. So I would keep with Boris, because he is the best of a bad bunch.
Time to go? on 11:22 - Apr 13 with 1465 viewsfinberty

Time to go? on 20:15 - Apr 12 by James1980

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-vaccine-brexit/

Fact check is a valuable resource

I stand corrected.
Time to go? on 11:23 - Apr 13 with 1464 viewsAtThePeake

whataboutery

/ˌwɒtəˈbaʊtəri/

noun - BRITISH

the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue.

"all too often, well-intentioned debate descends into whataboutery"

Tangled up in blue.

Time to go? on 11:29 - Apr 13 with 1455 viewsstandale

Time to go? on 23:46 - Apr 12 by James1980

I don't believe that has anything to do with the claim regarding Brexit and vaccinations. Also I don't recall the Met sending Starmer a questionnaire as to why he exaggerated his figures or hearing he has been fined because of it

but that isn’t an answer to my question, lots of people on here claiming his lies should cost him his job, so by the same token should Starmer resign? can you answer that please, a lie is a lie , no matter what spin you put on it
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024