Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to go? 13:56 - Apr 12 with 34552 viewsToffeemanc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61083402

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Time to go? on 01:42 - May 29 with 4816 viewspioneer

Time to go? on 00:46 - May 29 by sxdale

I would agree that using PR would be a step forward unfortunately Nick Clegg blew the chance of that when he sold his soul for a chance to be deputy PM.
I also don't see how, in the current political climate when PR would result in a hung parliament, how there could be a functioning government. It would require different parties to compromise for the good of the country. How would that work, Mr Sunak can't even call a windfall tax a windfall tax because it might give some credence to the opposition let alone actually work together. Although (welcome as it is) we all know it was done to distract from Boris's shenanigans.

There is PR and then there is PR.

I believe they are still counting in Australia 8 days after the election. A new prime minister has been sworn in before they know if they have a majority of seats.
Time to go? on 09:13 - May 29 with 4714 viewstony_roch975

Time to go? on 01:42 - May 29 by pioneer

There is PR and then there is PR.

I believe they are still counting in Australia 8 days after the election. A new prime minister has been sworn in before they know if they have a majority of seats.

The Scandanavians do it quicker - it took us 5 days to sort out the 2010 FPTP general election

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Time to go? on 09:28 - May 29 with 4700 viewstony_roch975

Time to go? on 00:46 - May 29 by sxdale

I would agree that using PR would be a step forward unfortunately Nick Clegg blew the chance of that when he sold his soul for a chance to be deputy PM.
I also don't see how, in the current political climate when PR would result in a hung parliament, how there could be a functioning government. It would require different parties to compromise for the good of the country. How would that work, Mr Sunak can't even call a windfall tax a windfall tax because it might give some credence to the opposition let alone actually work together. Although (welcome as it is) we all know it was done to distract from Boris's shenanigans.

Agreed. Not sure how successful the functioning is; seems to me a transparent, negotiated compromise could be better than our U turns . Our FPTP system is shared in Europe by just one other bastion of democracy - Belarus! 40 out of 43 European countries use PR. That includes all the Scandinavian countries who outperform us in many areas - they are "role models for good governance in equality, education, sustainability and economic policy, regularly topping quality-of-life rankings" (The Economist). Let's take back control of our voting system by adopting PR.

Time to go? on 10:31 - May 29 with 4632 views442Dale

Is there a reason he gets called “Boris” so much? Why didn’t Margaret, John, Tony, Gordon and Winston get the first name treatment?

It’s bizarre.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Time to go? on 10:51 - May 29 with 4612 viewsSuddenLad

Time to go? on 10:31 - May 29 by 442Dale

Is there a reason he gets called “Boris” so much? Why didn’t Margaret, John, Tony, Gordon and Winston get the first name treatment?

It’s bizarre.

Especially so, when all his family and close friends call him Alex or just 'Al'.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Time to go? on 16:25 - May 29 with 4461 viewstony_roch975

Time to go? on 10:51 - May 29 by SuddenLad

Especially so, when all his family and close friends call him Alex or just 'Al'.

equally 'piffle' would do (Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson)

Time to go? on 17:10 - May 29 with 4423 viewsD_Alien

Time to go? on 16:25 - May 29 by tony_roch975

equally 'piffle' would do (Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson)

That's quite amusing!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Time to go? on 20:02 - May 31 with 4089 viewspnc4eva1

Time to go? on 10:31 - May 29 by 442Dale

It’s bizarre.

It's all he has ever done. By calling himself Boris and playing the buffoon he has created a character that some people like.

However, the mask has now started to slip and his true colours are starting to show. Johnson has always prided himself on doing no work and winging it.

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Login to get fewer ads

Time to go? on 18:13 - Jul 5 with 3622 views442Dale

Edit:

This could be a long series of edits.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2022 18:16]

Time to go? on 19:21 - Jul 5 with 3452 viewsforeverhopefulDale

I still can't believe that there are people who back a PM who put a man into a role like Deputy Whip which involves looking after MPs who was a known abuser. If such actions happened in an ordinary pub, it could lead to police charges and prosecution.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Time to go? on 19:41 - Jul 5 with 3376 views442Dale

Time to go? on 20:01 - Jul 5 with 3323 viewsnordenblue

Time to go? on 19:21 - Jul 5 by foreverhopefulDale

I still can't believe that there are people who back a PM who put a man into a role like Deputy Whip which involves looking after MPs who was a known abuser. If such actions happened in an ordinary pub, it could lead to police charges and prosecution.

He'll no doubt go with the usual "I wasn't aware of anything" to a slightly more doubtful "I wasn't aware any rules were being broken" then maybe issue a half arsed apology alleging he wasnt aware of the facts at the time, then whip his trump card out if all else fails I'll just change the rules anyway.

There will still be folk willing blindly to defend these absolute self serving vvankers.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2022 2:58]
Time to go? on 21:27 - Jul 5 with 3144 viewsTomRAFC

Time to go? on 19:21 - Jul 5 by foreverhopefulDale

Boris Johnson was well known for having come out with every form of prejudice, alongside a boatload of sexual impropriety, long before becoming PM. I don't see why he wouldn't be ok with appointing people who have done the same.

I don't expect most people to be significantly upset by that, if they haven't been closely affected by racism/homophobia/sexual assault. I'm not suggesting a lack of empathy on their part, just that it is an almost incomprehensible experience.

The tide is slowly turning for Johnson because he committed a misdemeanor that did insult the majority of the population, he broke his own lockdown rules whilst most people were doing their best to follow them.

He'll say now is not the time. Those endeared to him will use empty buzzwords, calling it a woke virtue signalling agenda (or something equally obtuse). The mudslinging will begin and any sensible opinion from either side will be drowned out.

Rinse and repeat.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2022 23:50]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Time to go? on 00:37 - Jul 6 with 2915 viewsSandyman

Time to go? on 20:01 - Jul 5 by nordenblue

He'll no doubt go with the usual "I wasn't aware of anything" to a slightly more doubtful "I wasn't aware any rules were being broken" then maybe issue a half arsed apology alleging he wasnt aware of the facts at the time, then whip his trump card out if all else fails I'll just change the rules anyway.

There will still be folk willing blindly to defend these absolute self serving vvankers.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2022 2:58]

The ones who stay "loyal" to the Boris charlatan do so because they are dependent on a liar's patronage for position and status. Proves they have no integrity, decency or dignity as elected representatives. They are as self-serving as Roger.
Time to go? on 08:07 - Jul 6 with 2711 viewsMoonyDale

Time to go? on 00:37 - Jul 6 by Sandyman

The ones who stay "loyal" to the Boris charlatan do so because they are dependent on a liar's patronage for position and status. Proves they have no integrity, decency or dignity as elected representatives. They are as self-serving as Roger.

They have and are enabling his bad behaviour and lying...And as long as they continue he will be able to squirm away, to coin a phrase from David Cameron he is like a greased Piglet you can't get a grip on.....There are bad apples in every political party and in every walk of life but good God the Tories are full of them...Those that have walked show some integrity but it took them long enough...He's getting savaged today both in PMQ's and in the private committee interrogation he's got to face...Can't see him surviving much longer, nor should he....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Time to go? on 18:22 - Jul 6 with 2219 viewsDale92

Time to go? on 08:07 - Jul 6 by MoonyDale

They have and are enabling his bad behaviour and lying...And as long as they continue he will be able to squirm away, to coin a phrase from David Cameron he is like a greased Piglet you can't get a grip on.....There are bad apples in every political party and in every walk of life but good God the Tories are full of them...Those that have walked show some integrity but it took them long enough...He's getting savaged today both in PMQ's and in the private committee interrogation he's got to face...Can't see him surviving much longer, nor should he....

Hos possy of Rees Mogg, Naddine Dorries, Raab, Spencer all propping the dead man up at the moment. The thought of any of those running the country is horrifying

This is the One, I've waited for

Time to go? on 18:46 - Jul 6 with 2119 viewsMoonyDale

Time to go? on 18:22 - Jul 6 by Dale92

Hos possy of Rees Mogg, Naddine Dorries, Raab, Spencer all propping the dead man up at the moment. The thought of any of those running the country is horrifying

As I type this it's kicking off inside number 10....Oh to be a fly on the wall in there tonight....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Time to go? on 20:07 - Jul 6 with 2026 viewssxdale

Time to go? on 08:07 - Jul 6 by MoonyDale

I pity the piglet that Cameron manages to get a grip on
Time to go? on 12:58 - Jul 7 with 1739 viewsChaffRAFC

Has there ever been a more corrupt, narcissistic and dishonest Prime Minister in history? I was very young for Thatcher but I remember my Mum hating her but I don't think it was as much as I hate Johnson.

I would say it should have happened weeks/months/years ago but the truth is, he shouldn't have ever had the role. He wanted to be Prime Minister to BE Prime Minister when it takes someone who wants to DO the Prime Minster's role.

Look at the collection of morons surrounding him, the likes of Dorries, Raab, Truss, Fabricant etc. Absolute cretins the lot of them who I wouldn't trust to run a carboot sale, let alone the country.

Maybe now, we might (MIGHT) go a week without a fresh scandal. It's become so often that people don't bat an eyelid when several of these scandals should have seen people on the streets protesting.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Time to go? on 13:19 - Jul 7 with 1695 viewsisitme

The problem Chaff is that there is a void of talented politicians across all parties. To be elected you need a vision to appeal to the two million floating voters who decide elections.

I am not sure who could do this in any party at the moment. I mean what ever are the policies of the major parties? SNP want another independence vote but apart from that what?
[Post edited 7 Jul 2022 13:20]
Time to go? on 13:38 - Jul 7 with 1652 viewsD_Alien

Time to go? on 13:19 - Jul 7 by isitme

The problem Chaff is that there is a void of talented politicians across all parties. To be elected you need a vision to appeal to the two million floating voters who decide elections.

I am not sure who could do this in any party at the moment. I mean what ever are the policies of the major parties? SNP want another independence vote but apart from that what?
[Post edited 7 Jul 2022 13:20]

Speaking of voters, Boris will forever now be able to claim that he's never been voted out by any voting population

He will claim (as he seemed to suggest in his Downing St speech) that he's being hounded out by the "herd" within Westminster, including mainstream media, and to some extent he's right - but not completely

Of course, he's made some serious errors of judgement, probably due to being too lax in looking after the nitty gritty of running the government machine, which was never his strength. But in terms of communicating a vision, he's a very rare breed that we see less than once in a generation

My parents were staunch Labour voters. I often wonder how many people simply take their political views from the values of their parents, compared with those who don't. Nothing wrong with either, it's just something that interests me in terms of human psychology

Time to go? on 14:18 - Jul 7 with 1578 viewsrich_dale

Time to go? on 12:58 - Jul 7 by ChaffRAFC

Has there ever been a more corrupt, narcissistic and dishonest Prime Minister in history? I was very young for Thatcher but I remember my Mum hating her but I don't think it was as much as I hate Johnson.

I would say it should have happened weeks/months/years ago but the truth is, he shouldn't have ever had the role. He wanted to be Prime Minister to BE Prime Minister when it takes someone who wants to DO the Prime Minster's role.

Look at the collection of morons surrounding him, the likes of Dorries, Raab, Truss, Fabricant etc. Absolute cretins the lot of them who I wouldn't trust to run a carboot sale, let alone the country.

Maybe now, we might (MIGHT) go a week without a fresh scandal. It's become so often that people don't bat an eyelid when several of these scandals should have seen people on the streets protesting.

To answer the first question, no. He’ll be remembered as the worst PM in history bar none - a self-serving, entitled and unprincipled liar who did what ever he felt he had to do to in order to get power and keep it. As with Trump (the worst president in US history), a narcissistic maverick totally unfit for public office who rode a wave of populism in order to get elected. No policies, no vision, no direction, just a desire to be leader and to do whatever it takes to get there.

Then created an administration built on a culture of deception and dishonesty and presided over a catalogue of scandals and misconduct. Wouldn’t rule out another scandal either — he admitted in the Liaisons Committee meeting yesterday to having secretive meetings with Russian oligarch Lebedev, whose son was awarded a peerage by Johnson.

To be ousted after 2.5 years with the cushion of an 80 seat majority, not to mention causing 50 resignations in a little over 24 hours, takes some doing and speaks volumes about his character and conduct.
Time to go? on 14:26 - Jul 7 with 1569 viewsD_Alien

Time to go? on 14:18 - Jul 7 by rich_dale

To answer the first question, no. He’ll be remembered as the worst PM in history bar none - a self-serving, entitled and unprincipled liar who did what ever he felt he had to do to in order to get power and keep it. As with Trump (the worst president in US history), a narcissistic maverick totally unfit for public office who rode a wave of populism in order to get elected. No policies, no vision, no direction, just a desire to be leader and to do whatever it takes to get there.

Then created an administration built on a culture of deception and dishonesty and presided over a catalogue of scandals and misconduct. Wouldn’t rule out another scandal either — he admitted in the Liaisons Committee meeting yesterday to having secretive meetings with Russian oligarch Lebedev, whose son was awarded a peerage by Johnson.

To be ousted after 2.5 years with the cushion of an 80 seat majority, not to mention causing 50 resignations in a little over 24 hours, takes some doing and speaks volumes about his character and conduct.

Who were the second and third worst PMs in history, and why? Just asking, since you must have a significant insight into the roll call since Sir Robert Walpole

Time to go? on 14:34 - Jul 7 with 1548 viewsrich_dale

Time to go? on 14:26 - Jul 7 by D_Alien

Who were the second and third worst PMs in history, and why? Just asking, since you must have a significant insight into the roll call since Sir Robert Walpole

I haven't got a rundown or a set of Top Trumps cards. That's just how he'll be remembered. To lose office after 2.5 years while carrying a majority of 80 is historic in itself.
Time to go? on 14:41 - Jul 7 with 1541 viewsD_Alien

Time to go? on 14:34 - Jul 7 by rich_dale

I haven't got a rundown or a set of Top Trumps cards. That's just how he'll be remembered. To lose office after 2.5 years while carrying a majority of 80 is historic in itself.

Thanks. He was PM for just short of 3 years, a couple of weeks shorter than when his predecessor lost office

In terms of memory, that's pretty remarkable too

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024