Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Haka 17:22 - Mar 2 with 15492 viewsLongsufferingR

My god, just watched the piece on the offy. Can you imagine if Critchley had arranged that?
Haka on 05:14 - Mar 3 with 2529 viewsSydneyRs

Haka on 18:44 - Mar 2 by daveB

On the subject of this, the undoubted tension towards the end of the recent series of Happy Valley was somewhat undermined with a senior police person played by the actor that was the role play trainer in that guitar episode of The Office.

Kept waiting for someone to shout "I think there's been a rape up there!".
Haka on 05:25 - Mar 3 with 2522 viewsBushRanger82

At this point in time, any attempt at trying to mould this group of players into a fully functioning team/squad, has to be worth a try.
Like others, I was sure it would be a waste of time with this lot we have at the moment.
But, by the end, and looking at the players reaction, I'm not so sure.
Time will tell.
Haka on 07:22 - Mar 3 with 2379 viewsdistortR

Haka on 20:57 - Mar 2 by aston_hoop

A lot of weird judgement of players resting faces which actually show absolutely bugger all. People must think I am a right lazy arrogant bastard because I'm not smiling all the time and don't always stare intently at everything that is happening.

You brought that fella into my workplace, I'm giving a 'wtf' face.
Haka on 07:24 - Mar 3 with 2375 viewsdistortR

Haka on 21:53 - Mar 2 by ozranger

Or, perhaps we could get the fans to do it, like this..

That looks like the QPR thing, a small group of players at the front and rows and rows of support staff behind them.

To no discernible effect.
Haka on 08:12 - Mar 3 with 2258 viewsBklynRanger

In a situation where he's got to try something I thought that was a great effort.

It's true you can over-interpret people's faces - and these are young lads, but I think you can read a bit into who was involved by the end and who was at the back not really participating.

Also thought Taylor Richards was sort of emblematic of what Gareth's probably trying to do with all of this. At the beginning he looked understandably sceptical, let's put it that way, but by the end he's in the front row beside the manager (whether by choice or dragging him there) getting into it - was good to see.
Haka on 08:22 - Mar 3 with 2236 viewsTheChef

Haka on 21:24 - Mar 2 by daveB

Thats a pretty normal reaction though for a group of young men being greeted by this kind of activity, I'd have been looking for the nearest exit

"OK, so now we're going to get into small groups..."

*heads for the hills*

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Haka on 08:23 - Mar 3 with 2231 viewsmart_Goblin

Anybody else reminded of the Noel Edmonds Gotcha Oscar of the 90’s?
It’s on YouTube if you ain’t seen it . Hilarious.

Regarding the faces at the start , I think it’s slightly arrogant to show that disinterest..especially when you’ve been informed that someone is coming in by GA. If he had just walked in then I would understand but they know something different is about to happen so they should have been slightly more respectful in my opinion.

But credit where credit is due they looked like they gave it there all after.

This team needs bonding and building so hats off to GA for trying . Nothing to lose by it and potentially everything to gain.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 8:32]
Haka on 08:35 - Mar 3 with 2176 viewsNgaiTahu_Hoop

Haka on 08:23 - Mar 3 by mart_Goblin

Anybody else reminded of the Noel Edmonds Gotcha Oscar of the 90’s?
It’s on YouTube if you ain’t seen it . Hilarious.

Regarding the faces at the start , I think it’s slightly arrogant to show that disinterest..especially when you’ve been informed that someone is coming in by GA. If he had just walked in then I would understand but they know something different is about to happen so they should have been slightly more respectful in my opinion.

But credit where credit is due they looked like they gave it there all after.

This team needs bonding and building so hats off to GA for trying . Nothing to lose by it and potentially everything to gain.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 8:32]

I’m looking forward to one of them pulling out a haka move as a goal celebration.
Probably in around 2025
Login to get fewer ads

Haka on 08:39 - Mar 3 with 2164 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The club pays these player’s contracts, but they don’t own their souls.

They looked like young men dreading a work bonding exercise. I’ve certainly done the same. We could go back to the 90s when team building was just getting pissed three times a week but bear in mind some of us lost our minds when Sinclair Armstrong or a lookalike was spotted in Burger King.

These things are naturally cringey are first, but they actually looked like they were enjoying it at the end.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 8:44]
Haka on 09:23 - Mar 3 with 2080 viewsGaryBannister86

My worry with the faces at the start (strange decision by the media team or whoever to show that I thought) is that we've all done these grotesque corporate team building days with similar bollocks. However, with my boss watching, I would have at least faked interest. Also, my inward feeling would be why do we need this because I am performing well, my team is performing well, etc. These boys, however, should be grasping at any straw to change things around and be open to it.

I suspect the above comments are true though. It's also about GA doing something deliberately provocative and judging the reactions and therefore the commitment to him.

No problem with that.
Haka on 09:41 - Mar 3 with 2005 viewskropotkin41

Haka on 09:23 - Mar 3 by GaryBannister86

My worry with the faces at the start (strange decision by the media team or whoever to show that I thought) is that we've all done these grotesque corporate team building days with similar bollocks. However, with my boss watching, I would have at least faked interest. Also, my inward feeling would be why do we need this because I am performing well, my team is performing well, etc. These boys, however, should be grasping at any straw to change things around and be open to it.

I suspect the above comments are true though. It's also about GA doing something deliberately provocative and judging the reactions and therefore the commitment to him.

No problem with that.

Agree 100% Let's all hope it works. It's a good try, and something really needs to change things around.

The judging of facial expressions and body language at the start is an interesting one though. Actually we are all experts at this skill, it's a pretty defining feature of our humanity. It looked like a very difficult room to start with. If I'd been making the video I'd have left that section out.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Haka on 10:04 - Mar 3 with 1936 viewsPunteR

Haka on 09:41 - Mar 3 by kropotkin41

Agree 100% Let's all hope it works. It's a good try, and something really needs to change things around.

The judging of facial expressions and body language at the start is an interesting one though. Actually we are all experts at this skill, it's a pretty defining feature of our humanity. It looked like a very difficult room to start with. If I'd been making the video I'd have left that section out.

I'm pleased they left it in. Gave us an honest depiction. To be fair to the players my own reaction while watching it was exactly the same when the guy walked in. A mixture of WTF !, is this some kind of joke and oh no this is serious.
My son said we're a wierd football club, and I have to agree. We're nuts!.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Haka on 10:21 - Mar 3 with 1872 viewskernowhoop

Haka on 09:41 - Mar 3 by kropotkin41

Yes, it looked a 'difficult room' at first. It was better by the end, but, I was not entirely convinced that our players were won round. Having said that, we cannot fault GA's efforts. One win, however, would probably achieve at least as much as that unusual motivational speaker.
Keep trying Gareth. We just need to build the required points total for 'safety' and then you can sort the sheep from the goats.
Haka on 10:33 - Mar 3 with 1846 viewsrobith

I think it's inspired tbh. The current job for Gaz is motivational as much as tactical or playing side. You've got a team who are either bereft of confidence or don't care. In one fell swoop you've sussed who you can't count on, but you've literally seen most of the tension ebb out of them. Worse than not trying it imo

But I dunno, maybe I should just character assassinate someone based on their face in a two second video clip
Haka on 10:36 - Mar 3 with 1837 viewsNorthernr

Haka on 10:33 - Mar 3 by robith

I think it's inspired tbh. The current job for Gaz is motivational as much as tactical or playing side. You've got a team who are either bereft of confidence or don't care. In one fell swoop you've sussed who you can't count on, but you've literally seen most of the tension ebb out of them. Worse than not trying it imo

But I dunno, maybe I should just character assassinate someone based on their face in a two second video clip

Yehhhhhhhhhhh second one, that sounds great, let's do that.
Haka on 10:54 - Mar 3 with 1749 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Haka on 10:33 - Mar 3 by robith

Agreed.

Team bonding works. It's not new and it's probably not even news.

On the excellent episode of Sports Psychology featuring Ainsworth and Dobson kindly recommended on here it's clear that they did the Haka at Wycombe, that it helped togetherness and that it also helped show who the leaders currently were and who were currently reticent.

I'm surprised, though, that they released it to the public, a large section of whom are not currently at their most positive or receptive.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Haka on 11:21 - Mar 3 with 1705 viewsquickpassrotter

Haka on 17:49 - Mar 2 by Hastings_Hoops

The arrogance on the faces of some of the players at the start is alarming. Smacks of a serious attitude problem. Good to see that they got into it by the end, so massive well done Ainsworth.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2023 18:02]

Couldn't agree more. The body language from several of them was not good. Communicated somewhat of an arrogance from several. Looks like they got into it in the end - but I do wonder about (some of) them. I mean its as if ...''I'm a Championship footballer,so what is this all about ?''
Haka on 11:22 - Mar 3 with 1701 viewsJames_Paddocks

Don't mind it. Just don't film it. It's for them, not us.
Haka on 11:27 - Mar 3 with 1698 viewsGloryHunter

Haka on 03:46 - Mar 3 by The_Beast1976

Definitely

Big Lyndon looks like he's absolutely fcuking loving it too!!

[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 3:52]

Lyndon was thinking, "Maybe I should get some face tattoos"!
Haka on 11:35 - Mar 3 with 1663 viewskropotkin41

Haka on 11:27 - Mar 3 by GloryHunter

Lyndon was thinking, "Maybe I should get some face tattoos"!

He'd look great with Maori face tattoos, and more importantly, terrifying.

On a quick re-read, I haven't found any character assassination in this discussion, should we start a new thread for that?

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Haka on 11:43 - Mar 3 with 1645 viewsngbqpr

Someone who I think has actually read the room is the media team tbf.

They know what we're all thinking...that the faces at the start depict that...so having seen the buy-in across the exercise, they've decided to show it warts & all in. We'd all be taking the pi$$ a lot more if they'd just shown the buy in bit - by showing the contrast, they've allowed us to see the exercise working (for most).

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Haka on 11:45 - Mar 3 with 1641 viewsNorthernr

Side point, we've got to get Rayan Kolli in the team, just for the hair if nothing else.
Haka on 12:11 - Mar 3 with 1560 viewsBklynRanger

Haka on 11:45 - Mar 3 by Northernr

Side point, we've got to get Rayan Kolli in the team, just for the hair if nothing else.

Haka on 12:28 - Mar 3 with 1506 viewsMonkey_Roots

At first I face palmed… it made my toes curl, probably much like the players initial reaction.

Then, when I saw how the players and coaches embraced it, I was surprised and pretty impressed to be honest. They were really going for it. I definitely wouldn’t have been so keen if my employer sprung that on me.

As others have said on here, it’s a good way to gauge commitment to the cause and find out he really wants it. It’s also, at the very least, a shared experience. Even if they all get together and p*ss themselves laughing at how silly they felt - players like Roberts or Tim who may have had a bit of a cocky swagger about them coming down to lowly QPR would have had to join in - maybe it’ll do the squad some good to see them a bit vulnerable?

It is a bit gimmicky, but if it only galvanised 1 or 2, then it was a worthwhile exercise, and a bit of a leveller. GA is not f*cking about.
Haka on 12:44 - Mar 3 with 1453 viewsLoyalitat

Haka on 10:04 - Mar 3 by PunteR

I'm pleased they left it in. Gave us an honest depiction. To be fair to the players my own reaction while watching it was exactly the same when the guy walked in. A mixture of WTF !, is this some kind of joke and oh no this is serious.
My son said we're a wierd football club, and I have to agree. We're nuts!.

I'm in full agreement with your son, we are a weird football club.

Personally don't see what purpose the general airing of this attempt at team bonding actually serves. Some of us have now become body language experts to the point of extrapolating that certain players are aloof, arrogant, not the right sort etc, for merely showing initial awkwardness.

It has provided an opportunity for some to further entrench their misgivings/preconceptions of certain individuals. It should have been kept private.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2023 12:54]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024