Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 93631 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 17:24 - Jun 15 with 1457 viewsPaddyhoops

General Election Thread on 16:12 - Jun 15 by kensalriser

Man, you really have gone down some crazy conspiracy rabbit holes and ended up a transphobe and climate change denier. I'm actually quite distressed by it, because the old Hubs was a really sound, intelligent bloke.

I’m all for a phased transition to clean energy. It will take time because I honestly think that sucking black shit out of the ground , burning it and putting it back into the atmosphere is not very good idea in the long term .
We’re seeing the effects already.
General Election Thread on 17:37 - Jun 15 with 1418 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

General Election Thread on 17:24 - Jun 15 by Paddyhoops

I’m all for a phased transition to clean energy. It will take time because I honestly think that sucking black shit out of the ground , burning it and putting it back into the atmosphere is not very good idea in the long term .
We’re seeing the effects already.

A lot of data saying it’s already too late, which is why a part of me doesn’t really give a fck who wins the election.
General Election Thread on 17:43 - Jun 15 with 1395 viewsderbyhoop

General Election Thread on 14:01 - Jun 15 by Northernr

Fck me why didn’t we think of that before?

Truss did. Look where that got her.

It's an obvious, simplistic answer but even Starmer won't claim its going to be easy. UK growth has been anaemic for 16 years.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 18:19 - Jun 15 with 1323 viewsdm97

Finding this election incredibly depressing as a younger voter.

There has been little to no discussion of the nuanced complex truths around immigration, environment, economic growth that directly affect my ability to live a life as my parents did in the 80s.

I can’t afford to get on the property ladder, can’t get married or have kids yet as I have no capital despite working a good job, can’t go to Europe freely whether to work or for leisure, spend 40% of my income on rent and the best I’m getting is “economic growth”? Bar the greens whose manifesto is pathetically wishful, every other party doesn’t care about u30s so Labour it is and purely hoping we get lucky. But the way our politics treats young voters is a joke.

And then who crops up to tell all in his great wisdom? The privately educated, commodities trading, millionaire people’s hero. Nigel Fing Farage is stood there telling me it’s because of people risking their lives in the channel? Or coming here with all their dependents (while they’re running the god damn NHS)?

Get in the bin and stay there.

One of the many many many cancers Brexit has imposed on this country is his/Johnson’s politics of sound bites and slogans, over serious policy discussions. Go back and watch YouTube clips of Major vs Blair, or Thatcher vs Callaghan, and look at difference in detail. I don’t agree with a lot of those people but you can see their policy offer. If I was 26 in Thatcher’s Britain I’d get what her offer to me was. This lot aren’t even talking to us.

Yes social media plays a part, as does the lessening quality of politicians and smart people choosing private anonymous jobs over Parliament. But the way political parties view us is absolutely in the bin after what those liars were able to do in 2016.

“Reform” “Change” “Green New Deal” are easy to repeat and don’t require any intellect to say. We need to take some of the blame and start asking our politicians to talk to us like adults not children, if we want to be given real choices at elections.

I don’t think they’ll speak to my generation until we hit that magic mark of middle age, but for those of you they do actually care about - do better, for your younger relatives at least.
General Election Thread on 18:21 - Jun 15 with 1322 viewsLblock

General Election Thread on 14:51 - Jun 15 by FDC

See for me, I haven't found the time to become a climate scientist, so I defer to the judgement of people who have on this one.

You’ll listen to the scientists that give the results you want

I’m not denying climate change but I just have to laugh at people who think we can change what good old Mother Nature wishes to do with it.

Maybe those damn cavemen in their 4x4’s and oil based products thought when they came out of the ice age what a bastard thing they’d done causing the tropical age and looked down off of their jet planes and wished they’d done things differently

I dunno

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

General Election Thread on 18:44 - Jun 15 with 1247 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

General Election Thread on 18:19 - Jun 15 by dm97

There has been little to no discussion of the nuanced complex truths around immigration, environment, economic growth that directly affect my ability to live a life as my parents did in the 80s.

I can’t afford to get on the property ladder, can’t get married or have kids yet as I have no capital despite working a good job, can’t go to Europe freely whether to work or for leisure, spend 40% of my income on rent and the best I’m getting is “economic growth”? Bar the greens whose manifesto is pathetically wishful, every other party doesn’t care about u30s so Labour it is and purely hoping we get lucky. But the way our politics treats young voters is a joke.

And then who crops up to tell all in his great wisdom? The privately educated, commodities trading, millionaire people’s hero. Nigel Fing Farage is stood there telling me it’s because of people risking their lives in the channel? Or coming here with all their dependents (while they’re running the god damn NHS)?

One of the many many many cancers Brexit has imposed on this country is his/Johnson’s politics of sound bites and slogans, over serious policy discussions. Go back and watch YouTube clips of Major vs Blair, or Thatcher vs Callaghan, and look at difference in detail. I don’t agree with a lot of those people but you can see their policy offer. If I was 26 in Thatcher’s Britain I’d get what her offer to me was. This lot aren’t even talking to us.

Yes social media plays a part, as does the lessening quality of politicians and smart people choosing private anonymous jobs over Parliament. But the way political parties view us is absolutely in the bin after what those liars were able to do in 2016.

“Reform” “Change” “Green New Deal” are easy to repeat and don’t require any intellect to say. We need to take some of the blame and start asking our politicians to talk to us like adults not children, if we want to be given real choices at elections.

I don’t think they’ll speak to my generation until we hit that magic mark of middle age, but for those of you they do actually care about - do better, for your younger relatives at least.

Here is an adult response: Your fcked!
General Election Thread on 19:31 - Jun 15 with 1162 viewsFDC

General Election Thread on 18:21 - Jun 15 by Lblock

I’m not denying climate change but I just have to laugh at people who think we can change what good old Mother Nature wishes to do with it.

Maybe those damn cavemen in their 4x4’s and oil based products thought when they came out of the ice age what a bastard thing they’d done causing the tropical age and looked down off of their jet planes and wished they’d done things differently

I dunno

As a dad with two young girls I assure it's not the results I want.
General Election Thread on 20:04 - Jun 15 with 1117 viewsessextaxiboy

General Election Thread on 19:31 - Jun 15 by FDC

"I’m not denying climate change but I just have to laugh at people who think we can change what good old Mother Nature wishes to do with it."

I agree with this , Nature is far more powerful than mankind . It will either adapt as it has always done or it will protect itself by wiping us out . I dont really think we can change its course .
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 20:12 - Jun 15 with 1103 viewsloftupper

General Election Thread on 20:04 - Jun 15 by essextaxiboy

"I’m not denying climate change but I just have to laugh at people who think we can change what good old Mother Nature wishes to do with it."

I agree with this , Nature is far more powerful than mankind . It will either adapt as it has always done or it will protect itself by wiping us out . I dont really think we can change its course .

This is half the problem, there is a lack of ambition, vision and smarts in the general population and we get the politicians we deserve based on that.
General Election Thread on 20:14 - Jun 15 with 1102 viewsstevec

General Election Thread on 19:31 - Jun 15 by FDC

Please don’t let fear rule your life or your two daughters lives.

It concerns me that so many younger people are constantly being taught fear. Reject it.

Look at this way. If an adult was purposely scaring your kids in the street your first thought would be to smack them in the mouth. And yet TV programmes, journalists, school teachers are actually doing this with climate change day in and day out and people just accept it.

Take your kids to places you went when you were younger and point out that nothing has changed, it’s still the same landscape, just as it always was, they have nothing to worry about.

Go through your life with climate change, has anything materially changed that directly affects you or your families life. Is Loftus Road affected, getting to work, days out with the family, going on holiday? Have any of our coastal resorts disappeared into the sea? None of these things have happened or show any sign of happening.

If anyone acts to scare you, you can be fairly sure there’s an ulterior motive. As they say, ‘there is nothing to fear but fear itself’. We must all act to save our kids from this tyranny.
General Election Thread on 20:16 - Jun 15 with 1100 viewsessextaxiboy

General Election Thread on 20:14 - Jun 15 by stevec

It concerns me that so many younger people are constantly being taught fear. Reject it.

Look at this way. If an adult was purposely scaring your kids in the street your first thought would be to smack them in the mouth. And yet TV programmes, journalists, school teachers are actually doing this with climate change day in and day out and people just accept it.

Take your kids to places you went when you were younger and point out that nothing has changed, it’s still the same landscape, just as it always was, they have nothing to worry about.

Go through your life with climate change, has anything materially changed that directly affects you or your families life. Is Loftus Road affected, getting to work, days out with the family, going on holiday? Have any of our coastal resorts disappeared into the sea? None of these things have happened or show any sign of happening.

If anyone acts to scare you, you can be fairly sure there’s an ulterior motive. As they say, ‘there is nothing to fear but fear itself’. We must all act to save our kids from this tyranny.

Actually I had a few days in Norfolk last week and some of their coastal resorts have in fact fallen in to the sea .
General Election Thread on 20:44 - Jun 15 with 1043 viewsQPR_Jim

General Election Thread on 20:14 - Jun 15 by stevec

We can actually have successful vineyards in Kent now, unheard of when I was a kid.

As Essex points out, the environment will change naturally including things like coastal erosion that causes cliffs to collapse. As humans once we're comfortable with the environment we don't want it to change. So we put measures in place to stop or slow things like coastal defences with erosion. As a society coastal defences don't get the same negative view as reducing carbon emissions.

I was slightly confused by Essex when he says mother nature will act to protect itself by wiping us out. If we're not the source of the issue then why would mother nature wipe is out?

To your main point about fear, should we also reject the fear promoted around immigration? Seems to be the source of all our problems according to some, I would call that acting to scare us, don't you agree?
General Election Thread on 20:56 - Jun 15 with 1023 viewsLblock

General Election Thread on 20:16 - Jun 15 by essextaxiboy

Actually I had a few days in Norfolk last week and some of their coastal resorts have in fact fallen in to the sea .

Long shore drift…… a fact of nature whether people are serfs walking alongside horses or in Lear jets

General Election Thread on 21:03 - Jun 15 with 1008 viewsLblock

General Election Thread on 20:44 - Jun 15 by QPR_Jim

We can actually have successful vineyards in Kent now, unheard of when I was a kid.

As Essex points out, the environment will change naturally including things like coastal erosion that causes cliffs to collapse. As humans once we're comfortable with the environment we don't want it to change. So we put measures in place to stop or slow things like coastal defences with erosion. As a society coastal defences don't get the same negative view as reducing carbon emissions.

I was slightly confused by Essex when he says mother nature will act to protect itself by wiping us out. If we're not the source of the issue then why would mother nature wipe is out?

To your main point about fear, should we also reject the fear promoted around immigration? Seems to be the source of all our problems according to some, I would call that acting to scare us, don't you agree?

The Romans had a vineyard in the area now known as Middlesbrough

Mother Nature won’t destroy us
She didn’t during the Ice Age
She didn’t during the Tropical Age

We might be all but wiped out as the Earth reinvents itself yet again, don’t think so but we might.

Man could well end the world as we know it but that will not be due to this perceived Environmental Crisis “we” are creating, more likely due to the absolute a holes in power across the globe who have their fingers on the nuclear buttons or are sending millions to unjust wars

General Election Thread on 21:07 - Jun 15 with 982 viewsSonofpugwash

Because that's what Nature does - it's called natural selection,survival of the fittest.History is littered with redundant species.Take a long look outside,it's like a smorgasbord out there.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

General Election Thread on 21:13 - Jun 15 with 978 viewsderbyhoop

General Election Thread on 18:19 - Jun 15 by dm97

I'm not sure that any party are prepared to address young people's concerns.

Zero hour jobs, student loans, lack of investment in training, rocketing house prices, lack of affordable housing for those lucky enough to save a deposit. Unless the bank of mum and dad can help, the future looks like younger people having less than their parents.
I wish I could offer something positive but for those without that parental leg-up, but it looks fairly bleak.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 21:28 - Jun 15 with 956 viewsessextaxiboy

I doesnt seem right I agree .

What I think I mean is that if damage has been done it is not reversible or able to be meaningfully corrected and Nature will protect itself in the end
General Election Thread on 22:03 - Jun 15 with 906 viewsessextaxiboy

General Election Thread on 21:13 - Jun 15 by derbyhoop

Zero hour jobs, student loans, lack of investment in training, rocketing house prices, lack of affordable housing for those lucky enough to save a deposit. Unless the bank of mum and dad can help, the future looks like younger people having less than their parents.
I wish I could offer something positive but for those without that parental leg-up, but it looks fairly bleak.

I think transferring from renting to buying is the main problem .
Many renters pay more than a mortgage in rent and havnt got the headroom to save for a deposit .
By loaning a deposit and taking a rent record as ability to pay young people might make the jump easier.
We are not wealthy but have helped our boys by letting them come back and live almost rent free with us for a year or so to really hammer the deposit savings .
General Election Thread on 23:19 - Jun 15 with 822 views222gers

General Election Thread on 18:21 - Jun 15 by Lblock

I dunno

I know Jack Ship about climate issues except that we had the Little Ice Age from Tudor times to the Victorian era. Was it the industrial revolution that caused the end of that ?
There was no Met Office then, so we just have parish records to tell.
I remember reading in a book about accounts in parish records around the time of the Great War of farmworkers dying of the heat in fields. There were reports of poor people in London sleeping on benches in the streets of East London as their cramped dwellings were unbearable.
About 30 years later, the Great Freeze of 1947 and a time that I remember, the Great Winter of 62-63. I saw a bird die in mid-flight and the old boy nextdoor to me came back from buying some baccer in the corner shop, and his hat had frozen to his head.
General Election Thread on 00:06 - Jun 16 with 781 viewsstowmarketrange

General Election Thread on 21:13 - Jun 15 by derbyhoop

All three of my children were left money by their grandparents,and were lucky enough to then have a deposit for a home of their own.Lucky we moved out to Suffolk 20 years ago because there’s no way they could afford to buy anything at London prices.
It’s a vicious circle that if you’re renting,you won’t be able to save enough to get a deposit together to buy somewhere of your own.
General Election Thread (n/t) (n/t) on 07:52 - Jun 16 with 649 viewsjaffrtid

[Post edited 16 Jun 7:53]
General Election Thread on 07:57 - Jun 16 with 639 viewsjaffrtid

Apart from when the Romans were growing them in Northumberland.
Pretty sure they didn't go big on 'fossil fuels'.
General Election Thread on 08:02 - Jun 16 with 622 viewsClive_Anderson

Climate scientists don't do themselves any favours with reports like this year that we're in the middle of the hottest spring of all time in the UK, when it's clearly not.

I don't know why anyone still believes any of it after they were caught fiddling the figures to hide a fall in temperatures years ago.
General Election Thread on 08:02 - Jun 16 with 625 viewsQPR_Jim

General Election Thread on 07:57 - Jun 16 by jaffrtid

Apart from when the Romans were growing them in Northumberland.
Pretty sure they didn't go big on 'fossil fuels'.

Romans? How old do you think I am?
General Election Thread on 08:18 - Jun 16 with 606 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

How people still be dismissing climate change as man made, despite all the evidence to the contrary, is mind boggling.
No one denies that the climate has changed previously, the issue now is how quickly these changes are happening. Average global temperatures have risen over the past 100 years, that is a fact, but the rate of climb has accelerated over the last 20 (this is mainly due to the industrialisation of developing countries).
Those on the hard right that deny climate change would, I think, want to slow that change as it will increase migration. So to reduce migration you'll need reduce carbon emissions to slow global warming.

So what's it to be? More oil equals more global warming and results in increased climate immigration or accept that climate change is real, switch to renewable, and help reduce climate immigration?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024