Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread 09:52 - Apr 8 with 56771 viewskropotkin41

Somebody has to do this, and I'd like to take this opportunity to salute all the travelling Rs during this crazy season.
We're going to lose on Monday, and numbers of goals don't matter. Here's to a sunny day in August by which time let's hope somebody has swept up and put the rubbish out at Loftus Road.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2023 10:13]

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:26 - Apr 10 with 3215 views1JD

A vastly improved display, hardly any long ball, and we were far better for it. Either GA has been told from above or he is learning what this group are best suited for. However, Jimmy Dunne at RB, that one was straight out of the Ian Holloway book. Nearly cost us.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 17:26]
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:29 - Apr 10 with 3126 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:24 - Apr 10 by Loyalitat

Happy to be proved wrong as I didn't believe that we would get a point in the next four games, starting from today. Really thought that Luke Amos' energy alongside Sam Field played a huge part in the comeback. Luke Amos will frustrate at times when he fails to place the right pass but we need him available for the remaining games. I'd be minded to limit his training so that he avoids any chance of getting injured.

Well done to the staunchly loyal fans who made the journey up to the Hawthorns, you were magnificent.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 17:30]

Yes, the brave souls who travelled up today were terrific. You could hear them singing throughout the match. They deserve that result.

As for the team, feast and famine both on display today. Some fight and spirit at last. If they can cut out the defensive mistakes and improve on the final ball, they could just do it. Now I'm off for a wee lie down.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 17:32]
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:33 - Apr 10 with 3040 viewsStreathamRanger

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:24 - Apr 10 by Loyalitat

Happy to be proved wrong as I didn't believe that we would get a point in the next four games, starting from today. Really thought that Luke Amos' energy alongside Sam Field played a huge part in the comeback. Luke Amos will frustrate at times when he fails to place the right pass but we need him available for the remaining games. I'd be minded to limit his training so that he avoids any chance of getting injured.

Well done to the staunchly loyal fans who made the journey up to the Hawthorns, you were magnificent.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 17:30]

Agree with this. The difference having Amos in there instead of Johansen was massive. Yeah, he's not the best player but he brought a bit of energy to the side today and we looked much better for it. Either Amos or Dozzell alongside Field for me for the rest of the season. All contracted players who we may need next year whichever division we end up in.
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:35 - Apr 10 with 3002 viewsdavman

Forgotten this feeling - on that showing, this bunch of much maligned individuals have enough about them to keep us up. Actually nice not to be completely despondent after the game.

Is it because Laird, Lil' Tim and JoJo were nowhere near the pitch?

WBA were hopeless though, weren't they? We gave them a 2 goal head start in THIS form and they couldn't beat us.

So, Saturday becomes "winnable", just like Blackpool did after we beat Watford, but then we all know what happened next...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:38 - Apr 10 with 2971 viewsStreathamRanger

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:35 - Apr 10 by davman

Forgotten this feeling - on that showing, this bunch of much maligned individuals have enough about them to keep us up. Actually nice not to be completely despondent after the game.

WBA were hopeless though, weren't they? We gave them a 2 goal head start in THIS form and they couldn't beat us.

So, Saturday becomes "winnable", just like Blackpool did after we beat Watford, but then we all know what happened next...

West Brom weren't great but they've won 7 out of 8 at home so I'd say it's still a massive result to get a draw there.
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:39 - Apr 10 with 2938 viewsbenhurst

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:35 - Apr 10 by davman

I think that's a bit harsh on Tim, I thought he was playing pretty well prior to the international break
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:41 - Apr 10 with 2909 viewsLoyalitat

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:38 - Apr 10 by StreathamRanger

West Brom weren't great but they've won 7 out of 8 at home so I'd say it's still a massive result to get a draw there.

Totally agree.
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:42 - Apr 10 with 2886 viewsbenhurst

He did miss that header but I thought Richards looked really good in his short cameo today, I'm still holding out hope that he can be a big player for us in the run in if he can stay fit for the next few weeks
Login to get fewer ads

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:49 - Apr 10 with 2774 viewsE15Hoop

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:26 - Apr 10 by 1JD

A vastly improved display, hardly any long ball, and we were far better for it. Either GA has been told from above or he is learning what this group are best suited for. However, Jimmy Dunne at RB, that one was straight out of the Ian Holloway book. Nearly cost us.

Disagree entirely- not for the first time today..
If anything, the vastly improved display came exactly from what I said earlier - really good hold up and lay play from Dykes in particular. Runners in Chair and Adomah getting closer and even running past.
It proved that your view and my view CAN happily coexist when executed correctly.
The two goals we conceded were poor again, but other than that, the defence as a whole was much better by playing a higher line and winning their aerial duels - including Jimmy Dunne, who I thought put in an excellent display as a goold old fashioned right back.
I don't see why you think that decision almost cost us the game - please explain..
To my mind, it proved that "old school" win your battles first and worry about playing afterwards suits our defenders at least much better than your "let's play nice little intricate triangles at the back" philosophy does!
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:52 - Apr 10 with 2700 viewsDamo1962

Been out and avoiding the score. Players did today, what they should have been doing for ages...so fair play to them. A goal for Dykes too, so good on him too. A third would have been soooo nice... but glad for the supporters there today...and Gareth. The corpse twitches again 🙂
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:54 - Apr 10 with 2680 viewsbrewers_hoop

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:02 - Apr 10 by kropotkin41

Coming back from 2-0 down could be a turning point.... mind you, beating Watford could have been a turning point. Let's see if we've actually turned.

How great to have an evening of a match day on which we haven't been hammered!

Oh trust me, I'm going to be completely hammered very shortly
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:07 - Apr 10 with 2507 views1JD

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:49 - Apr 10 by E15Hoop

Disagree entirely- not for the first time today..
If anything, the vastly improved display came exactly from what I said earlier - really good hold up and lay play from Dykes in particular. Runners in Chair and Adomah getting closer and even running past.
It proved that your view and my view CAN happily coexist when executed correctly.
The two goals we conceded were poor again, but other than that, the defence as a whole was much better by playing a higher line and winning their aerial duels - including Jimmy Dunne, who I thought put in an excellent display as a goold old fashioned right back.
I don't see why you think that decision almost cost us the game - please explain..
To my mind, it proved that "old school" win your battles first and worry about playing afterwards suits our defenders at least much better than your "let's play nice little intricate triangles at the back" philosophy does!

Jimmy Dunne was caught out of position at least 3 times in the game where they got in behind. Much like Kakay against Blackpool. He was targeted and/or unable to understand the correct positioning of a full back. Which is not much of a surprise given he is a centre half.

The first goal actually comes because he is caught out of position, and Dickie rushed over to cover but is too late and gives away the free kick which leads to Seny flapping for the first goal. He was caught out another two times which didn’t lead to anything but the danger was there, but didn’t cost us further thankfully.

Putting a 6*5 immobile centre half at full back shouldn’t really need to be debated. Square pegs, round holes. Your other points I will not debate, as we would be here all night. We have a different outlook on the type of football we appreciate and enjoy. Its quite simple for me, I cannot and will not enjoy long ball. Mark Warburton had it right when he said football is an entertainment business.
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:18 - Apr 10 with 2405 viewsE15Hoop

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:07 - Apr 10 by 1JD

Jimmy Dunne was caught out of position at least 3 times in the game where they got in behind. Much like Kakay against Blackpool. He was targeted and/or unable to understand the correct positioning of a full back. Which is not much of a surprise given he is a centre half.

The first goal actually comes because he is caught out of position, and Dickie rushed over to cover but is too late and gives away the free kick which leads to Seny flapping for the first goal. He was caught out another two times which didn’t lead to anything but the danger was there, but didn’t cost us further thankfully.

Putting a 6*5 immobile centre half at full back shouldn’t really need to be debated. Square pegs, round holes. Your other points I will not debate, as we would be here all night. We have a different outlook on the type of football we appreciate and enjoy. Its quite simple for me, I cannot and will not enjoy long ball. Mark Warburton had it right when he said football is an entertainment business.

In all honesty, I don't think Laird, Kakay or anyone else playing right back today would have done any better than Dunne in all the instances you mention. That is simply the downside of playing a high line when you don't win the first or second ball.
And yes, I agree that we'll have to agree to disagree on the long ball approach. I'm afraid that tiki taka bores me stupid, as the last time I looked, you win football matches by scoring more goals than the opposition, not passsing it sideways and backwards for no apparent reason other than you don't know what else to do with the ball.
Just to be clear, I'm not advocating we go to Graham Taylor-type goalkeeper to goalkeeper games where the midfield is completely bypassed, but Warbsball with its endless Dieng-Dickie-Dunne-Dickie- ieng farting around had me tearing my hair out - and there's not much left of it as it is..
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:24 - Apr 10 with 2355 viewsstevec

Have I missed anything?
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:26 - Apr 10 with 2349 viewsBurnleyhoop

Definitely an improvement, especially in midfield. The mobility of Amos definitely made a difference. A smattering of good individual performances was also welcome and made a change from absolutely everyone being awful.

Is it too little too late or is there life left in this rabble yet?

A glimmer of hope returns and that pin prick of light can be seen at the end of the tunnel.
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:27 - Apr 10 with 2335 viewsMatch82

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:42 - Apr 10 by benhurst

He did miss that header but I thought Richards looked really good in his short cameo today, I'm still holding out hope that he can be a big player for us in the run in if he can stay fit for the next few weeks

That was a real tough header, a fraction of a second difference on the timing and that could have been goal of the season
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:28 - Apr 10 with 2320 viewsRangersw12

Chair or Field MOTM today

Amos and Balogun the weak links again but they all seemed to battle especially after a horrific start

Fans were fantastic and deserve so much credit for supporting this side
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:35 - Apr 10 with 2269 views1JD

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:18 - Apr 10 by E15Hoop

In all honesty, I don't think Laird, Kakay or anyone else playing right back today would have done any better than Dunne in all the instances you mention. That is simply the downside of playing a high line when you don't win the first or second ball.
And yes, I agree that we'll have to agree to disagree on the long ball approach. I'm afraid that tiki taka bores me stupid, as the last time I looked, you win football matches by scoring more goals than the opposition, not passsing it sideways and backwards for no apparent reason other than you don't know what else to do with the ball.
Just to be clear, I'm not advocating we go to Graham Taylor-type goalkeeper to goalkeeper games where the midfield is completely bypassed, but Warbsball with its endless Dieng-Dickie-Dunne-Dickie- ieng farting around had me tearing my hair out - and there's not much left of it as it is..

To suggest a full back would have also been caught out of position is idle speculation. Specifically, on Kakay, I can agree with you, because he always get caught out at the best of times, but Laird I have rarely seen being caught out of position as a full back.

Additionally, he has great pace, to counter exactly the high line problem you suggest. In other words because he is a. Better at the full back position than Dunne, and b. A lot of quicker, it’s actually unlikely he would have been caught out of position the same amount of times, if at all, to Jimmy Dunne, who not only lacks pace, but is a novice in that position.

As for the tippy tappy v long ball debate, it’s not that black and white. There are multiple shades of grey in between.
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:36 - Apr 10 with 2256 viewsLogman

Good point today. I am sure there are going to be many more twists and turns over the next 5 games. Gareth's hard work ethic is probably going to stand us in as good stead as a more measured, technical approach. It's in our hands. But at the same time we must hope that events go our way elsewhere. For example, it might be handy for Burnley to beat Sheff Utd tonight so that there is more chance of them being on the beach when we have to play them.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2023 18:37]
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:43 - Apr 10 with 2177 viewskensalriser

This one solitary point demonstrates the still surprisingly low bar needed to avoid relegation.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:47 - Apr 10 with 2132 viewsdavman

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:39 - Apr 10 by benhurst

I think that's a bit harsh on Tim, I thought he was playing pretty well prior to the international break

I don't; the bloke is better than most of his loanee mates because he is available and has scored two good goals, BUT he refuses to defend, watching his man drift by on countless occasions. A show pony, who has seduced many because he can carry the ball forward. No doubt he will go on to great things, BUT he is failing on the one simple measure here - effort. Not sure he has shown enough of that for me.

Just my opinion though - not right or wrong, just my opinion...

Can we go out yet?

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:51 - Apr 10 with 2097 viewsdavman

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:18 - Apr 10 by E15Hoop

Says a lot that Laird was on the bench, we had sub slots available and yet GA stuck with Dunne there. Maybe his attitude IS actually questionable after all; who knew?

...and Dunne's throw was pretty useful - he managed to find OUR players, something Mr Laird has had difficulty doing over the season...

Can we go out yet?

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:52 - Apr 10 with 2085 viewsSonofpugwash

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 18:26 - Apr 10 by Burnleyhoop

Definitely an improvement, especially in midfield. The mobility of Amos definitely made a difference. A smattering of good individual performances was also welcome and made a change from absolutely everyone being awful.

Is it too little too late or is there life left in this rabble yet?

A glimmer of hope returns and that pin prick of light can be seen at the end of the tunnel.

Alternatively that pin prick of light could be a train coming the other way.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 19:02 - Apr 10 with 2000 viewsVancouverHoop

Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 17:26 - Apr 10 by 1JD

Maybe Dobbo's apparent tactical nous is finally having some effect?
Easter Miracle at the Hawthorns/Gutless Capitulation Match Thread on 19:21 - Apr 10 with 1884 viewsthemodfather

at 2-0 down in 15 mins gotta admit i threw it all out of the pram, gave up stopped watching then i heard it was 2-1 , i go back and we go 2-2, we even had chances to nick it but be still my heart. you could really hear our fans giving their all, well done all who went, again.
a point gets us put of the bottom 3 cos we dipped in there, now to BUILD ON IT. it's always the hope that gets you.
be down for coventry game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024