Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First reaction for Millwall defeat 16:14 - Aug 8 with 22733 viewsOakR

Obviously the big negative is that we are out which ultimately is all that matters, and we gited them their goal in normal time.

Penalties were a mixture of not great pens from us but in fairness some great saves also from their keeper.

All that said we drew 1-1 with one of the best teams from last year, both playing pretty much full strength sides. We deserved a draw at least, created the most chances, pretty solid defensively and potentially moving the ball forwards quickly much faster.

Performance wise I think it was decent - plenty of moments of frustration, but I feel if we play like that and improve on the errors for last third we will be ok this season.

Hard to be positive after a loss, but I'm not all doom and gloom after that, frustrating as the result is.

Poll: Will we stay up?

12
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 07:50 - Aug 9 with 2761 viewsGaryBannister86

Just seen the Saito penalty incident at the end which I thought was a pen at the time and it sure was. Obvious comment is that we would have missed anyway, but in the clip you see Lloyd, Saito and Poku right next to the incident. No instant reaction from any of them. If that had been literally any other team there would have been hands out, hands on heads, screaming, begging the ref. Alfie gives the ref a polite glance. I don't want us to be some scumbag team but we just seem so powderpuff in mentality sometimes.
9
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 08:24 - Aug 9 with 2584 viewsBig_Mac

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 23:47 - Aug 8 by numptydumpty

Langley and Gallen you say.

Well there is the mystery solved as to why numbers 8 & 9 are not assigned to any squad player as yet !


No Dembele or Kamara then - about the only squad members left ??


Hope you enjoyed hospitality. i upgraded to platinum seat today, which basically is a padded cushions on the back and the seat itself. No expense spared by the multi millionaires there then...
[Post edited 8 Aug 23:51]


Actually Kamara was there, forgot to mention him. Did not see Dembele though.

Our seats only had padding on the seat itself but if I ever come in to money I’ll get a season ticket there.. because the leg room was lovely. Never thought I’d say that about a seat at Loftus Road 😅
0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 08:44 - Aug 9 with 2505 viewsdaveB

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 07:50 - Aug 9 by GaryBannister86

Just seen the Saito penalty incident at the end which I thought was a pen at the time and it sure was. Obvious comment is that we would have missed anyway, but in the clip you see Lloyd, Saito and Poku right next to the incident. No instant reaction from any of them. If that had been literally any other team there would have been hands out, hands on heads, screaming, begging the ref. Alfie gives the ref a polite glance. I don't want us to be some scumbag team but we just seem so powderpuff in mentality sometimes.


I've seen it a few times, I don't think he gets touched, I didn't think it was a penalty
0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 08:49 - Aug 9 with 2486 viewsBurnleyhoop

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 16:52 - Aug 8 by francisbowles

I can't agree with pissing about. I thought we were moving the ball around much quicker than last season and we managed eleven shots.
Trying to play an attacking 433. Only one can play in the middle it's either Kone or Burrell. If you put Burrell in the middle what do you do with Kone?


Leave him on the bench. Typical performance from him. Poor control, so loses possession and no pace. We were infinitely more progressive when Vale, Burrell and Kone were replaced.
Burrell on the wing doesn’t work. That’s Poku’s position to fill as and when he’s fit enough.

Charles distribution was fantastic, shame about the clanger.

Kemper looks solid at left back.

Penalties….put your laces through the ball for Christ’s sake.

We have the makings of a very good side with the best squad depth we’ve had in years. Julian needs to utilise it correctly. This seasons success depends upon it.
2
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 08:55 - Aug 9 with 2466 viewsBurnleyhoop

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 00:30 - Aug 9 by nix

I think I’m agreeing with you, that was my point really. He doesn’t carry the team but acts as if he still does and other players defer to him to the detriment of the team. Respect is all very well but I’d like Madsen to just grab the ball sometimes and take some of the corners and FKs on the days that every one of Chair’s seems to hit the first man.


Vale’s attempts were significantly worse. Some absolute shockers. Thought he was pretty awful most of the game tbh.
1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 08:57 - Aug 9 with 2449 viewsrottcodd

For those commenting on whether Millwall were good in that game, they had the best away record in the Championship last season and one of the meanest defences, so it was unlikely we were going to overwhelm them. Their defenders were excellent at blocking our crosses and last ditch tackles as well as nullifying Kone's physicality. Jensen made a fantastic save to keep out Boy Kemper's header.

There is clearly no magic wand. Many of the players from last season still have their weaknesses and one can only hope they continue to improve. I think having Chair back was a positive given he has not been fit the last two seasons, although not a game-changer from the get-go as some might hope.

It certainly seemed noticeable that we were reluctant to shoot from outside the box and were expected to pass/move a chance in the box. Much of that was orchestrated by Chair. Let's hope his final pass and finishing will get better.
1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 09:04 - Aug 9 with 2376 viewsGaryBannister86

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 08:44 - Aug 9 by daveB

I've seen it a few times, I don't think he gets touched, I didn't think it was a penalty


I was certain when I saw it live from the Loft and I've seen a close up where I will agree to disagree, Dave :-). Saito is no Paul Smyth and it would have been a free shot from about 8 yards out so don't believe he just went down.

Talking of Smyth, same old issues for me. "Wins" cheap free kicks early in the match, then towards the end when a game gets stretched and he is often in more dangerous positions, surprise, surprise he gets none of the 50/50 decisions go his way. For the love of everything that is hooped and holy, please Paul - stop making your first thought "must win a foul" ahead of actually, "what can I do with the ball here?". The man's effort is brilliant and I do think he can play, just.....play.
6
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 09:17 - Aug 9 with 2319 viewsspencer

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 16:59 - Aug 8 by NorthantsHoop

Another early exit from a cup competition, but not outplayed, should have had a penalty for the Saito foul but really those penalties were pathetic.


I thought it was a pen - but we probably would have missed
0
Login to get fewer ads

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 09:19 - Aug 9 with 2307 viewsnix

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 09:04 - Aug 9 by GaryBannister86

I was certain when I saw it live from the Loft and I've seen a close up where I will agree to disagree, Dave :-). Saito is no Paul Smyth and it would have been a free shot from about 8 yards out so don't believe he just went down.

Talking of Smyth, same old issues for me. "Wins" cheap free kicks early in the match, then towards the end when a game gets stretched and he is often in more dangerous positions, surprise, surprise he gets none of the 50/50 decisions go his way. For the love of everything that is hooped and holy, please Paul - stop making your first thought "must win a foul" ahead of actually, "what can I do with the ball here?". The man's effort is brilliant and I do think he can play, just.....play.


I agree it was a pen, everyone around us thought it was at the time and watching the highlights in slow motion confirms that for me. He just didn’t look like he dived. It’s a mystery why we don’t scream for those. Pretty much every other team would. Having said that we need to do it more in the crowd. Other teams’ fans constantly scream for decisions which I think influences the ref but we’re too keen not to call for decisions unfairly which confuses me because every other fanbase seems to.

I also agree with Paul Smyth. I think he’s got a reputation for going down too early. Just play the ball and take the genuine ones.
3
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 09:53 - Aug 9 with 2178 viewsstevec

Thought we looked top 8 at the back, mid table centre midfield but a bit league one with the pivotal forward 3.

Kone had an off day, service was poor but is better than that. Smyth and Burrell and his replacement Poku, distinctly league one and probably too far ingrained for that to change. It’s not just about the ball at your feet but how and where you move before you receive it. That’s what handicaps us.
1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 10:09 - Aug 9 with 2079 viewseastside_r

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 08:57 - Aug 9 by rottcodd

For those commenting on whether Millwall were good in that game, they had the best away record in the Championship last season and one of the meanest defences, so it was unlikely we were going to overwhelm them. Their defenders were excellent at blocking our crosses and last ditch tackles as well as nullifying Kone's physicality. Jensen made a fantastic save to keep out Boy Kemper's header.

There is clearly no magic wand. Many of the players from last season still have their weaknesses and one can only hope they continue to improve. I think having Chair back was a positive given he has not been fit the last two seasons, although not a game-changer from the get-go as some might hope.

It certainly seemed noticeable that we were reluctant to shoot from outside the box and were expected to pass/move a chance in the box. Much of that was orchestrated by Chair. Let's hope his final pass and finishing will get better.


Millwall were very solid defensively not just the back four, but produced next to nothing going forward.
2
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 10:20 - Aug 9 with 2026 viewsNorthantsHoop

Disappointing as it is to go out again in round one and be picked out on BBC Breakfast sport bulletin this morning for our penalty misses, we actually have not lost a game yet in normal time in pre-season and yesterday. We gave Millwall a good game and it will be seen as a good run out for next week. You could tell both teams were taking it a bit easy and not risking anything. We are much better with Chair back in the side and looking forward to him getting back to his best. Some nice midfield interplay, so positives rather than negatives. Although we know who not to have taking penalties.
2
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 10:31 - Aug 9 with 1976 viewsrottcodd

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 10:09 - Aug 9 by eastside_r

Millwall were very solid defensively not just the back four, but produced next to nothing going forward.


Agreed, but i think you have to give Rangers some credit for that - we controlled possession (with Charles' addition to the team) - something we have been unable to do for long periods of any match in past seasons. Our defence nullified their wide players and attackers.
1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 10:33 - Aug 9 with 1962 views1JD

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 19:11 - Aug 8 by SteveB

79 mins of Mbengue was enough to tell me we won't be in the play offs this season whilst he is 1st choice. Liability.


Mbengue is nowhere near good enough to be a right back. His big personality is carrying him with the fan base. Quality is very little. Fortunately the club saw that and bought in Lamptey, who will transform us, IF we can keep him fit.
0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 10:41 - Aug 9 with 1918 viewsfrancisbowles

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 22:54 - Aug 8 by Wegerles_Stairs

I was replying to a post that said we had 11 shots.


No you were replying to a post that said a bit more than that. You didn't acknowledge the other points though.😁
0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 10:55 - Aug 9 with 1852 viewsfrancisbowles

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 07:35 - Aug 9 by BushRanger82

Queen's Park Rangers, putting the TIN, into TINPOT, since 1886, and showing no sign whatsoever of letting up.


Is that your sum contribution to this debate?
-1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 10:57 - Aug 9 with 1844 viewsbaz_qpr

Two points on Burrell

1. Looks a yard slower than last year, dont think he trusts his hamstring yet
2. If we want to get good money for him he has to be able to either play as a lone striker, or as a wide striker not just in a two. I was surprised at his unwillingnesss to arrive from his position out wide to make the second striker in the box as that is what I would have expected.

Oh and its was 30 degrees in the Paddocks so need to appreciate it was very warm on the pitch which would have had an impact
3
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 11:13 - Aug 9 with 1785 viewscaliforniahoop

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 00:55 - Aug 9 by ViewFrom165

Mixed feelings about the performance and learnings from the game for me.

Will start with a few positives. Charles' distribution was top, particularly to the full backs when pushed up high, he got us up the pitch and on the front foot on many occasions. We also progressed the ball well through the lines in midfield before Millwall made some changes and stopped that from happening in the 2nd half. Thought the Defence was good as a unit and individually throughout. Can't decide if it was to our credit or if Millwall just stood off us but felt like we were always in control and got in to the final third with relative ease for most of the game, but that's where the good stuff stopped.

Will start the negatives with Burrell being played out wide. He was so ineffective against Fiorentina I had hoped we wouldn't see it again, and today will hopefully put a swift end to that experiment. I think he's quite a limited Footballer but his main strengths (pace in behind and 6 yard box tap ins) when played to are hugely effective, however if we are to be a possession based 433 team I don't see a role for him in the starting XI. He has no technical ability and even more worryingly didn't see any of his explosivity today when he had the opportunity to use it.

Kone's hold up and back to goal game needs serious work, a few promising moves broke down because of his bad touches and poor link up play, he didn't work the Millwall CB's half as much as Coburn did ours. Smyth tried as he always does but it was one of those games for him where nothing came off, combined with my comments about Burrell it meant there was next to no service for Kone from wide areas. All 3 didn't play well at all and made us look toothless upfront.

Lastly, a very frustrating performance from Chair. We now have some players around him that he needs to learn to trust and not insist on everything going through him. At 28 he still hasn't learnt to take the ball on the half turn/back foot, his first touch still comes backwards and he slowed down the game and let Millwall get back in to shape way too much. He looked slow and heavy, didn't have the pace to buy himself more time when he was clean through, and the final ball for Kone stopped what should have been a certain goal.

Caveat to the negatives were that it was the first competitive game trying that new set up, still some rustiness, it was hot, and Millwall are no pushovers, but I personally think everyone should be held to the highest standards and we should expect better output.

I like alot of what I saw from the system, but was let down by some poor individual performances and players playing that aren't suited to it. At Home I still expect to see it, Away maybe we only play one 10 and a Varane or Kamara in a deeper role. Hopefully Stephan can see that too and isn't going to keep shoehorning some of the square pegs in.
[Post edited 9 Aug 1:05]


This is a great post, we are so close, the forwards lack game knowledge and awareness, Kone should die just to hold the ball up, as you alluded to, it kills us!

Burrell should be looking for the ball in behind, needs to watch old Vardy clips.
0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 11:43 - Aug 9 with 1658 viewsPdog

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 10:57 - Aug 9 by baz_qpr

Two points on Burrell

1. Looks a yard slower than last year, dont think he trusts his hamstring yet
2. If we want to get good money for him he has to be able to either play as a lone striker, or as a wide striker not just in a two. I was surprised at his unwillingnesss to arrive from his position out wide to make the second striker in the box as that is what I would have expected.

Oh and its was 30 degrees in the Paddocks so need to appreciate it was very warm on the pitch which would have had an impact


I've always felt his pace is far more noticable (and effective) when he's in full gallop mode over longer distances with grass ahead of him, usually away from home when we’re playing balls into space (see Wrexham away).

Interestingly, those short sharp bursts of acceleration needed to beat a man from a standing start (with more intricacy required), maybe less so and therefore less effective in tight spaces out wide.
1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 11:49 - Aug 9 with 1627 viewsT_Block

Agree.Stephan knows this.I both agree Burrell should be up front , but Kone needs to be up there as well.I don’t know the answer.Attacking full-backs in a 5-3-2, or more a 5-3-1-1?
0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 11:50 - Aug 9 with 1618 viewsJamesB1979

I thought Saito looked a lot better than last season. Still not great but an improvement nevertheless. He was trying to be involved and should have had a penalty
2
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 11:51 - Aug 9 with 1617 viewsDannytheR

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 07:25 - Aug 9 by BklynRanger

Burrell is out wide to allow Chair to play behind Kone I assume, in that 10 role. I can understand Julien wanting to get all 3 of those on the pitch at once but at some point he may need to make a decision.

You gain a lot from having Chair linking and covering behind Richard, but you also make Burrell far less effective running at a LB as opposed to a lumbering CB, and there are clear pros but also cons to Chair being the link man as covered above.

I think if he is wanting Chair in that role he's going to have to go with either Kone OR Burrell, and start Poku (or Dembele when fit). But I suppose that does highlight the current fitness issue on the right, so it's a tricky one.

If you take Chair out and go back to what was a very promising 2 up front there would be less cover in front of that new Madsen-Vale combo, so you might need to consider Varane or the new bloke beside Nico, possibly with Vale back on the right. I thought Vale played well yesterday but it still had a bit of a preseason feel about in terms of intensity, so there'll be far bigger tests of that ahead.
[Post edited 9 Aug 7:30]


It's interesting. Stephan went on the record pretty much as soon as he came here saying he saw Chair playing centrally. The problem was, of course, he ended up barely playing at all - like a lot of things with us in recent times, injuries dictated what we were and weren't able to do.

The other thing now is that we've got so little cover up front, it might be worth keeping Burrell on the bench. Certainly on yesterday's performance, there's no future in shoehorning him in on the right wing, especially IF Poku can stay fit. But again, that brings us back to the QPR treatment room of it all...
1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 11:54 - Aug 9 with 1598 viewslassel

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 08:44 - Aug 9 by daveB

I've seen it a few times, I don't think he gets touched, I didn't think it was a penalty


There was definitely contact but the Millwall player planted his foot and Saito caught him. Not a pen and neither he nor his teammates around him really appealed.
0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 12:23 - Aug 9 with 1511 viewsrbee

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 11:54 - Aug 9 by lassel

There was definitely contact but the Millwall player planted his foot and Saito caught him. Not a pen and neither he nor his teammates around him really appealed.


What's new, we never appeal these decisions and give the Ref an easy time.

I thought it was a good shout for a pen but the Ref was perfectly placed and gave the decision immediately.
0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 12:56 - Aug 9 with 1402 views1JD

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 11:51 - Aug 9 by DannytheR

It's interesting. Stephan went on the record pretty much as soon as he came here saying he saw Chair playing centrally. The problem was, of course, he ended up barely playing at all - like a lot of things with us in recent times, injuries dictated what we were and weren't able to do.

The other thing now is that we've got so little cover up front, it might be worth keeping Burrell on the bench. Certainly on yesterday's performance, there's no future in shoehorning him in on the right wing, especially IF Poku can stay fit. But again, that brings us back to the QPR treatment room of it all...


Why on earth should Burrell be on the bench?

His record is 1 goal in 2, and he led the line with Kone mostly playing in a withdrawn position last season. Kone is 1 in 4+. It’s no comparison.

I know who id be selecting up top as my main striker.
1
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026